Sony NW-A806 vs. Sony NW-S706F: Sound Quality

Rate this question

depeschie

Question

9 answers to this question

Sony NW-A806 vs. Sony NW-S706F: Sound Quality

does the NW-A806 sounds a lot better than 706 or always the same?

Sony NW-S706 in term of usability... the player is small and light and the sound quality is superb.

So my question is, before buying, does the NW-A806 sounds a lot better or always the same?

I most use MP3 (v2) or AAC+. Thank You!

Go to the link below - there's lots of stuff about the sound quality comparison. Briefly, if you like the fullness and bass on the 706, you'll find a big difference with the 808. The volume on the 808 is slightly louder than the 706 - and the sound is much 'crispier' (I still think quite 'harsh') - and a lot depends on the headphones you use. I still prefer the 706 sound quality, and think it is more detailed than the 808. All depends on your sound preferences. I have grown 'used' to the sound of the 808, but still prefer the sound of the 706.

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?...art=#entry23667

Edited by juli

Hello Guys!

I Like teh Sony NW-S706 in term of usability... the player is small and light and the sound quality is superb.

So my question is, before buying, does the NW-A806 sounds a lot better or always the same?

I most use MP3 (v2) or AAC+.

Thank You!

The sound quality of both units are about the same. When it comes to usability, both units are quite different. To navigate the NW-S706 you do not need to look at the unit all the time. However, the NW-A806 gives you a more visual interface for navigating though you library and some more options. The noise cancellation feature is where the NW-S706 wins hands down. Some people complain about a slight hissing on the NW-S706, but I have never noticed this. Sony has release a firmware upgrade for the NW-A806 because of some sound quality issues. Both units are about the same size, and weight.

However there is a lot of information about these two units on this site, and even more discussions.

Depeschie, 706 DOES support usb 2.0. Amazon is wrong.

thank you for your oppinions.

on amazon.de i`ve read that the s706 only supports the slow usb 1.1 mode, is this true?

I read that on a review site, but it wasn't Amazon. Yes, it does support USB 2.0

Edited by juli

Flash memory simply is much slower to fill then HD-memory, nothing to do with SS or USB.

It does in this case -unfortunately-.

I have benched the nano2g against the 808 with the latest sandra iteration and the 808 is a tad bit quicker.

Yet, the same album transfers 250% quicker with itunes/nano2g in comparison to ss/808.

So yes, it´s another SS issue. As was to be expected hardware is not the problem.

It is true however that flash memory used in daps is slower than almost any hdd drive. However, high speed usb sticks can get read rates >30mb sec along with >20 mb/s write speeds. As far as I know there is a difference in the nand manufacturing process that accounts for this discrepency. As Samsung is the uncrowned king of nand technology I expect a samsung flash dap by the end of the year that makes use of high speed flash mem.

Of course, Sony´s new friends at San Disk may help the Japanese Giant, too...