Sony NWS706F

Rate this question

astra_lestat

Question

Hello.

I am planning to buy Sony NWS706F 4G player.

However, I have got a few questions and I would greatly appreciate if you could help me and answer them, please.

1. Does it support MP3 VBR files? (I know it supports MP3 directly without a need to convert them to atrac, I wonder whether it supports MP3 VBR as well).

2. Could I use a different type of phones other than the supplies phones? I am going to use it for jogging on treadmill and most likely will need to use my sony sport phones if I can plug them into this player.

3. As far as I know unfortunatelly there is no armband for this player, only some sort of a clip, right?

Thank you in advance,

Astra.

Sony NWS706F

Hello.

However, I have got a few questions and I would greatly appreciate if you could help me and answer them, please.

1. Does it support MP3 VBR files? (I know it supports MP3 directly without a need to convert them to atrac, I wonder whether it supports MP3 VBR as well).

2. Could I use a different type of phones other than the supplies phones?

3. As far as I know unfortunatelly there is no armband for this player, only some sort of a clip, right?

Thank you in advance,

Astra.

1. The 706 would convert MP3 VBR to Atrac during transfer as it doesn't support that format. (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

2. You can use any headphones you like - but the noise-cancelling feature won't work unless you use the supplied headphones.

3. There's a clip and a silicon case. I used the silicon case, attached a lanyard to it and hung it round my neck. That gave me the option of keeping it secure under my clothing. And it's easy enough to pull out anyway.

Edited by juli

So it supports only MP3 CBR direct play, VBR will be converted, correct?

As far as I know, yes. All my stuff is Atrac 256kbps and it sounds very good - whether that's because Atrac was designed for use with Sony players, I don't know - but it sounds fine. I converted wma vbr from about 400 kbps to Atrac 256 and can't hear any difference.

If you want great sound, it doesn't come much better than the 706

Hello.

2. Could I use a different type of phones other than the supplies phones? I am going to use it for jogging on treadmill and most likely will need to use my sony sport phones if I can plug them into this player.

Thank you in advance,

Astra.

1. I'm afraid I do not know what MP3 VBR files are. You are correct in your comment that it will play regular MP3 files however.

2. Yes, you can use any type of standard 3.5mm headphones you want. As I'm sure you've heard, noise cancelling, clear stereo, etc will only work with the provided headphones.

3. While there is no official s700 series armband, SonyStyle Japan sells the armband for the A608 on the S-series accessory page. I would therefore conclude that it works just fine in that armband as well.

Hope some of this info helps.

1. I'm afraid I do not know what MP3 VBR files are. You are correct in your comment that it will play regular MP3 files however.

3. While there is no official s700 series armband, SonyStyle Japan sells the armband for the A608 on the S-series accessory page. I would therefore conclude that it works just fine in that armband as well.

Hope some of this info helps.

MP3 VBR it is MP3 various bit rate music file. The bit rate of a given mp3 would not be constant like 128kbps or 256 or 320, instead it would vary constantly.

Thanks for armband tip, I will check it out.

Edited by astra_lestat

1. I've not tried this player with mp3's. I've always converted them to atrac files. I know atrac converts from VBR (variable bit rate) mp3's with no problem using sonicstage.

2. You can use any sort of headphones that you like. As stated earlier, you just won't get the noise cancelling functionality out of it.

3. The only arm band which I've located on the net is at this link http://www.minidisc.com.au/sony-arm-band-p-940.html. Is this suitable?

3. The only arm band which I've located on the net is at this link http://www.minidisc.com.au/sony-arm-band-p-940.html. Is this suitable?

I use this arm band with my S705 and it fits fine!

Almost all my MP3s are LAME V2 VBR MP3's They dont need converting to atrac... Vaio mp3 transfer prog also works without converting too :) So put it simply... the S70* plays VBR MP3's!

Edited by veggiemusician

I use this arm band with my S705 and it fits fine!

Almost all my MP3s are LAME V2 VBR MP3's They dont need converting to atrac... Vaio mp3 transfer prog also works without converting too :) So put it simply... the S70* plays VBR MP3's!

Superb!

Then I am after the player and armband :) (I have found this armband here: armband and it says Compatible with NW-E002, NW-E002F, NW-E003, NW-E003F and NW-E005, so I have found dimentions of those players and it is smaller than s706 or s705 and i decided it will not fit).

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Edited by astra_lestat

Hi All,

I just bought this player (NW-S706F) and I'm really pleased with it, except for one thing that's nagging me, the headphone jack on the player itself seems a little loose. I'm not sure if this is intentional or if I've got a faulty unit. Everything works fine, it's just that the when you insert the headphone plug into the unit, there's a degree of flex to it, I had a NW-HD5 before this and the headphone jack was rock solid, the plug didn't move at all. I'd appreciate any input on this from those who own the player. Thanks.

Hi All,

I just bought this player (NW-S706F) and I'm really pleased with it, except for one thing that's nagging me, the headphone jack on the player itself seems a little loose. I'm not sure if this is intentional or if I've got a faulty unit. Everything works fine, it's just that the when you insert the headphone plug into the unit, there's a degree of flex to it, I had a NW-HD5 before this and the headphone jack was rock solid, the plug didn't move at all. I'd appreciate any input on this from those who own the player. Thanks.

I had a 706 too and noticed it wasn't a really 'snug' fitting. My first one had faulty headphones so I was sent a replacement unit - and it was the same! It didn't fall out or anything, it just didn't feel extra tight. I think that's how they're made, but no doubt someone else will shed some light on it

Thanks Juli, that's put my mind at ease, if it's the same with you, then it must just be how it's put together...now to enjoy the music without niggling doubts of a faulty player to trouble me :)

Hahaha - yes. When my first one was 'loose' I was obsessed with thinking it was faulty, so I was kind of glad when the headphones broke down and I got the replacement. It wasn't till the second one was 'loose' that I accepted that's how it was, and then began to 'enjoy' the music.

Mind you, there might be several people who say theirs fit really tight! Either way, so long as it's not falling out I think you'll be ok

Juli or anyone else,

I've got one last concern I need to get off my chest, on the metal/steel frame of your player, are there any tiny bumps/kinks? Jeez, sorry, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, these things will drive me mad if I don't ask about them. Thanks.

You will find no imperfections what so ever on this player. It's a delight to hold and sits in the palm of your hand very nicely :)

Okay, maybe not bumps or kinks, but spots...I'VE DEFINITELY GOT SPOTS ON MY PLAYER ON THE SILVER FINISH! ... :) Someone put me out of my misery and tell me I'm not alone, or else I'm going to go break down Sony's door! Seems to be very minor flaws with the paint finish. Thanks.

Okay, maybe not bumps or kinks, but spots...I'VE DEFINITELY GOT SPOTS ON MY PLAYER ON THE SILVER FINISH! ... :) Someone put me out of my misery and tell me I'm not alone, or else I'm going to go break down Sony's door! Seems to be very minor flaws with the paint finish. Thanks.

Oh hahahahahaha - that would drive me nuts! I don't have the 706 anymore, but I don't recall any 'spots' on it, and if I had, I would have got it replaced asap - who wants spots on a new player??? Are they on the side? Can you post a pic so we can get a really close look???

I have to laugh because I can sympathise, I hate to pay out a lot of money for a new shiny toy, and then discover it has some sort of chicken pox.

Describe the size/shape/dimension of the spots :D

How long ago did you purchase the player? If fairly recently, I would take it back and get a replacement. I have never had a mark or bump on any of my Sony players.

Hi everyone,

I just bought a NW-S706F and can't seem to transfer mp3s to it. They're continually converted to ATRAC, despite me setting the option to leave as original format. What gives? Do you HAVE to use the SonicStage (came with 4.2, I have 4.3) software to transfer files? I've looked at the file structure on the player (which is how I know the files are in Atrac format, "OMA" extension, plus they differ when compared with a Hex Editor to the original mp3 files, and realise it has an internal database, has the music.

I was hoping I could just transfer mp3s straight to the player, from Windows Explorer, and they work straight away, rather than take a long time to convert to Atrac, just to play them.

Hope this doesn't sound like a whinge, just surprised Sony would make such a nice player, but have such terrible software (SonicStage) to go with it.

Thanks,

Richard.

I was hoping I could just transfer mp3s straight to the player, from Windows Explorer, and they work straight away, rather than take a long time to convert to Atrac, just to play them.

Richard, unfortunately SonicStage is required to transfer your MP3s.

Until they release this, that is:

http://www.atraclife.com/2007/04/25/sony-t...d-drop-walkman/

Or you go with a different brand, like http://www.cowonglobal.com or http://en.meizu.com , among others...

If I understand correctly when you use SonicStage it transfers mp3 without converting them.

NW-S706F supports AAC, WMA, Linear PCM, MP3 and ATRAC playback natively. In other words, NO transcoding or converting is required.

In other words, NO transcoding or converting is required.

Hmm, it's strange though - why does the file change, when it appears on the player? I agree, it shows the file as being an mp3 (I discovered this after the post), but when you compare the files with a Hex Editor, you'll see they're different. Sort of like the OMG file type is the original file, with some additional information (or the header is just changed?)

I already have an NW-S706F, so there's no chance of getting something different, now. I would have done more research before getting this - but to be honest, I never expected this sort of inconvenience from a Sony :) How naive, huh? :D

Hmm, it's strange though - why does the file change, when it appears on the player? I agree, it shows the file as being an mp3 (I discovered this after the post), but when you compare the files with a Hex Editor, you'll see they're different. Sort of like the OMG file type is the original file, with some additional information (or the header is just changed?)

I already have an NW-S706F, so there's no chance of getting something different, now. I would have done more research before getting this - but to be honest, I never expected this sort of inconvenience from a Sony :) How naive, huh? :D

did you change the transfer settings to "As is?"

Like someone previously asked, you have to set your transferring mode/setting as "transfer as is." Having set mode "as is," MP3 will transfer to as MP3, AAC as AAC, WMA as WMA, and ATRAC Lossless as ATRAC Lossless.

I own this player, and I tried all formats and they all played their native format without transcoding.

Quick question.

When you say: why does the file change, when it appears on the player?

How do you look at the files? Via SonicSt. or Windows Explorer? Because when I browse my player with WE all files looks very odd, i.e. no proper names, just some numbers and letters, and all have an atrac extension. However, if I browse the files with Sonic St. then my files look like MP3. I think all VBRs look like 320kbps and 192 as 192.

Yes - I set it to leave the format unchanged, where possible.

Yes - I looked at the files using Windows Explorer. The files are converted - whether they are still in mp3, but are encapsulated in some other type of wrapper, they are still converted. They still appear to remain mp3 format inside, as the player shows them playing as mp3s, so that's fine. Just seems odd that SS / player (driver) has to change things around.

Quick question.

When you say: why does the file change, when it appears on the player?

How do you look at the files? Via SonicSt. or Windows Explorer? Because when I browse my player with WE all files looks very odd, i.e. no proper names, just some numbers and letters, and all have an atrac extension. However, if I browse the files with Sonic St. then my files look like MP3. I think all VBRs look like 320kbps and 192 as 192.

Because you have setting to convert files in certain format, which can be changed to keep and transfer file as is. By clicking a box between tow windows or sections when you are transferring songs (left side being songs in computer and right side being songs in your Walkman), in between two windows there is a tool box key that you can click, which allows you to change transferring mode/setting.

You can view file property my using right click and hit property. Once you connect Walkman, via SonicStage you can view your files in Walkman which allows you to view files, type of files and others things as well.

Edited by Zizone

I've given in and re-bought the 706 because I miss it :sad: but I'm keeping the 808 as I can put lossless classical on it, and the analytical tone should complement it nicely.

What I'd like to know please, is how to pull the shuttle switch in and out on the 706. When I had it before, I was never able to access that mode because I couldn't see how it 'pulled' out. Do you click/pull/twist - how does it come out? I saw a post here before about pulling the jog switch out - but for the life of me I couldn't work out how to do it! As it's coming tomorrow, I'd like to know how to 'pull' it out. Thank you

Edited by juli

I've given in and re-bought the 706 because I miss it :sad: but I'm keeping the 808 as I can put lossless classical on it, and the analytical tone should complement it nicely.

What I'd like to know please, is how to pull the shuttle switch in and out on the 706. When I had it before, I was never able to access that mode because I couldn't see how it 'pulled' out. Do you click/pull/twist - how does it come out? I saw a post here before about pulling the jog switch out - but for the life of me I couldn't work out how to do it! As it's coming tomorrow, I'd like to know how to 'pull' it out. Thank you

You just need to push it firmly up towards the head phone socket.

Thank you. So I push, not pull. Will try tomorrow :)

Look at the Jog Shuttle closely, there are arrows indicating folder (outward) and the opposite direction is the songs in that folder. So pulling the Jog Shuttle outward will access the folder and other direction will access songs in that folder.

Please try this link, it shows you the Jog Shuttle usage.

link

Then click "OPEN" on the web page (the Adobe Flash Player).

Then there will be a new window just for NW-S700 series.

Click "Design".

On the bottom of that window, click "Design" and then "Jog Shuttle".

Once you are in the page, you will see how Jog Shuttle moves.

Edited by Zizone