Sony pulls the plug on Connect, refocuses on PlayStation

Rate this topic

or300

The same editor @ PaidContent.org posted this on Wed...

"We broke the story last week about Sony Connect’s changes (and eventual phasing out of the service) and layoffs planned...now Sony corporate PR has finally come out and says that they are they are not killing Sony Connect music service imminently. Well, this is a short term spin, and our sources have again confirmed that the service will be phased out in the matter of months (maybe not two months, as I originally reported, but it will be within a “few months”, the sources reiterated). So Sony PR is saying it won’t be shut down immediately, which is technically true for now. Short term spin versus our sources...take your pick. And of course, AP did not credit us by name, and made it sounds as if they had some extra details about layoffs, something we reported on as well...well, what else can we expect?"

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-sony-...short-term-spin

The guy seems intent that his sources are indeed accurate. I don't know what to make of this. I wish I knew what's going on.

I have already pointed a CONNECT customer care associate (U.S.) to this article in chat session and have already e-mail customer care.

I don't know what else to do?

This is going to be interesting! When I bought my first MD player in 2004, I was told that stories on the internet said that

Sony was phasing out md soon.

I'll bet Connect is still operating next year.

And Sony are phasing out MDs.There hasn´t been anymore MDs since the RH1 and that was over a 1 year ago.Sony seem to be focusing their attention on flashed based players.Buying blank MDs are becoming rare these days.Shame really as the MD players have amazing SQ.

Flashed based players are probably the future but...

Since 2004 there have been about 1 new himd model per year. The last one the rh1 is the best so far.

If sony improves on the rh1 I'm willing to wait a couple of years for a new model.

Dont get me wrong. The MD will eventually become extinct like every other technology but I think it will be around for a few

more years.

I have never had any problems getting md blank media. Were they scarce for a month or so?

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess Connect IS done for. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/30/live-fr...ynote/#comments

Transitioning away from the ATRAC format, and phasing out the Connect Store in 2008.

There you go non-believers. I wonder what will happen to this blog/forum. Sonylife? NW-life?

I just received the following email from Sony:

CONNECT Music Service to Phase Out

To Our Valued Sony CONNECT Customers,

Today Sony announced its intent to move to a Windows Media Technology platform for Walkman® products in the United States, Canada and Europe. We strongly believe that the decision to embrace a more open platform will enable us to provide you with a better music enjoyment experience. As a result of this change, we will be phasing out the CONNECT™ Music Service, based on Sony's

ATRAC audio format, in North America and Europe. Specific timing will vary by region depending on market demand, but will not be before March 2008.

All of Sony’s new Walkman music and video devices will be supported by a very wide range of third party services around Europe.

We are fully committed to helping you through this important transition away from a proprietary music service. In the coming weeks and months, we will keep you closely informed of the status of the CONNECT Music Service phase out in your country, and provide you with the best possible guidance on how to successfully transfer your music library to an MP3 or Windows Media-compatible format. Periodic updates will also be posted on the CONNECT music store and on the Sony Europe customer service site, http://support.sony-europe.com

We recommend that you use any outstanding promotional vouchers or account credits prior to March 2008.

Thank you for all your purchases and feedback so far, and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition with as little disruption to you as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Sony CONNECT Europe Team

I am in Canada, too, and got the message this morning.

I've never used Connect, but the apparent decision to abandon ATRAC is retarded. All of my music - and it's a lot - has been ripped to that format. Will this mean that I have to re-do it in MP3 or AAC? And, that new line of digital music players announced in Europe is extremely disappointing. Where are the high-capacity (20 gigs or more) players? My NW-HD1 is just about full.

I've never used Connect, but the apparent decision to abandon ATRAC is retarded. All of my music - and it's a lot - has been ripped to that format. Will this mean that I have to re-do it in MP3 or AAC? And, that new line of digital music players announced in Europe is extremely disappointing. Where are the high-capacity (20 gigs or more) players? My NW-HD1 is just about full.

I dunno dude - seems like a better business decision than staying with ATRAC/Connect to me.

I'm not sure if Sony are going to put out another high capacity player. There are rumours of wifi iPods that might be 40/80GB which might push Sony to do something similar. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I am in the same position, but I am hoping that Sony will provide some software to transition between SonicStage and WMP11, converting ATRAC files to MP3/WMA/AAC and allowing ID tags, album art and playlists to transfer. There was some vaguely encouraging language in the email "we will keep you closely informed of the status of the CONNECT Music Service phase out in your country, and provide you with the best possible guidance on how to successfully transfer your music library to an MP3 or Windows Media-compatible format" They did provide software to transition between Connect Player and SonicStage CP, although admittedly that was less dramatic.

What I want to know is whether previous HDD models will be updatable to use WMP11 and drag and drop? Otherwise, these devices are effectively redundant in the new Sony world, limited to being used with software (SS) that is no longer supported. There are no signs of a new HDD Walkman either - I worry that Sony simply won't have a device in their range that you can carry all your music on, leaving Apple in an even stronger position.

Well, this is what we've been looking for. Personally, I knew this had to happen but I am kinda disappointed at the same time. I have invested heavily in ATRAC devices including the recent NW s703 and NW a805, although I haven't ripped in ATRAC for some time.

There will be problems associated with this move..... e.g

a/ Support for SS will go fairly quickly, therefore if a Microsoft update for XP or Vista has a compatibility issue with SS there is unlikely to be a patch or work-around.

b/ SS always requires authentication after a System Restore ( on XP at least ). What happens when these servers are shut down?

.........and there will probably be other issues.

I urge Sony to do the descent thing now and help us to transfer to Windows Media Player with some type of Firmware upgrade, lets face it the NW A805* series is only a few months old and it's end is already signalled by this news.These devices are easily flashed with a new firmware.

P.S Does this mean that Sony devices will 'talk' to other media players (such as Realplayer)

P.P.S On the other side I would imagine that WM support staff will have a lot of work to do when people all over the world plug in a Sony product for the first time.

I just received the following email from Sony:

CONNECT Music Service to Phase Out

To Our Valued Sony CONNECT Customers,

Today Sony announced its intent to move to a Windows Media Technology platform for Walkman® products in the United States, Canada and Europe. We strongly believe that the decision to embrace a more open platform will enable us to provide you with a better music enjoyment experience. As a result of this change, we will be phasing out the CONNECT™ Music Service, based on Sony's

ATRAC audio format, in North America and Europe. Specific timing will vary by region depending on market demand, but will not be before March 2008.

All of Sony’s new Walkman music and video devices will be supported by a very wide range of third party services around Europe.

We are fully committed to helping you through this important transition away from a proprietary music service. In the coming weeks and months, we will keep you closely informed of the status of the CONNECT Music Service phase out in your country, and provide you with the best possible guidance on how to successfully transfer your music library to an MP3 or Windows Media-compatible format. Periodic updates will also be posted on the CONNECT music store and on the Sony Europe customer service site, http://support.sony-europe.com

We recommend that you use any outstanding promotional vouchers or account credits prior to March 2008.

Thank you for all your purchases and feedback so far, and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition with as little disruption to you as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Sony CONNECT Europe Team

I got a similar e-mail from Connect USA as well:

August 30, 2007

Subject: Future of CONNECT Music Service

To Our Valued Sony CONNECT Music Customers:

Today Sony announced its intent to move to a Windows Media Technology platform for Walkman® products in the United States, Canada and Europe. We strongly believe that the decision to embrace a more open platform for these devices will enable us to provide you with a better overall experience. As a result of this change, we will be phasing out the CONNECT™ Music Service based on Sony's ATRAC audio format in North America and Europe. Specific timing will vary by region depending on market demand, but will not be before March 2008.

We are fully committed to helping you through this important transition away from the CONNECT Music Service and providing you with the best possible guidance on how to successfully transfer your music library to an MP3 or Windows Media-compatible format, should you wish to do so. We recommend that you use any outstanding promotional codes, account credits or gift certificates available in your music account prior to March 2008, but even after the store closes you will continue to be able to play, manage, and transfer the music in your SonicStage library and on your existing ATRAC devices. If you obtain a new device, all of Sony’s new Walkman music and video players will support MP3 or Windows Media Audio format.

In the coming months we will keep you informed of the status of the CONNECT Music Service phase out in your region. Periodic updates will be posted on the CONNECT music store and on the Sony Electronics customer service site, http://esupport.sony.com/EN/news/article215.

Please note that the CONNECT e-book service for the Reader in the U.S. will not be affected.

Thank you for your business and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition with as little disruption to you as possible.

Sincerely,

Sony CONNECT Music Team

The letter doesn't say there will be no support for atrac. In other words we may still be to play atrac on the new daps.

Some of the daps may support atrac ,wma, and mp3. all that has to happen is to drag and drop the atrac file in the dap.

I think you missed the news. The latest B100, A810, and S610 series don't support Atrac anymore.

First of all, shame on ATRACLife for phrasing this development on its front page in a way that suggests ditching ATRAC was the right choice for all of us. Many if not most of us think it was the wrong choice. For years, ATRACLife has basically not promoted ATRAC as a superior codec against MP3, WMA and others. Sony had to have been paying attention to this, together with ATRACLife's own criticisms of ATRAC. I don't know if that gives the founders of ATRACLife some sort of sinister pride, but I resent ATRACLife for not going to bat for -- well, the very thing it's named after.

Second of all, the MP3 Conversion Tool that was just released to convert non-DRM-protected ATRAC files is a huge disappointment. It's always been a big gaping hole in SonicStage that the program does not natively include the elementary ability to convert from ATRAC files to MP3s or WMAs. We've had to rely on a very low-grade, buggy, crash-prone application (Hi-MD Renderer) for something that should have been integrated into SonicStage the moment that DRM was lifted from ripping CDs, etc.

So, rather than integrating an MP3 conversion function into SonicStage so that our massive ATRAC libraries could be converted to MP3 on a case-by-case basis, Sony's new "tool" really does a single, mammoth and sloppy thing: It's an all-or-nothing proposition, without a GUI. You select folders with Windows Explorer names, and that's it.

For many of us who are audiophiles, we ripped our CDs into the best available format, ATRAC Lossless. I've always defended this decision and I would continue to. ATRAC Lossless was a clever way to achieve maximum fidelity at home for streaming to full-blown listening rooms, while expediting the transfer process of lower-bitrate files to ATRAC portable devices. With the MP3 Conversion Tool, we are once again left with the suspicion that Sony got lazy and coded the mini-application to grab the lower-bitrate portion of the ATRAC Lossless file for conversion purposes, rather than to grab the best source available from the file, the lossless portion. If anyone can come up with definitive test results to resolve this suspicion, it would be much appreciated bymany of us.

Finally, I think it was a great disservice for the whole ATRACLife community to so proactively shut down the "rumour" a few months back about the CONNECT Store closing and the ATRAC format being retired. We could have used that time to lobby Sony to (at a minimum) get the conversion tool right. Shame on all (or most) of you.

Next up: Blu-Ray bites the dust. Just watch. This company is hilarious.

First of all, shame on ATRACLife for phrasing this development on its front page in a way that suggests ditching ATRAC was the right choice for all of us. Many if not most of us think it was the wrong choice. For years, ATRACLife has basically not promoted ATRAC as a superior codec against MP3, WMA and others.

For many of us who are audiophiles, we ripped our CDs into the best available format, ATRAC Lossless. I've always defended this decision and I would continue to. ATRAC Lossless was a clever way to achieve maximum fidelity at home for streaming to full-blown listening rooms, while expediting the transfer process of lower-bitrate files to ATRAC portable devices.

:D Atraclife is a community blog/forum, NOT a Sony marketing team. Atraclife is NOT responsible for marketing and Sony's stupid decisions.

If you're actually an audiophile, you would have explored FLAC, APE, apple lossless, or skip them all altogether and stick with uncompressed WAV/PCM, all have existed way before Atrac lossless. If you want to stick to a dead unsupported format, go ahead, but don't blame anybody else.

I lost count on how many times I've said that Sony is going to ditch Atrac. :)

Given how easy it is to convert AAL to WAV and then batch convert to MP3, I think you should be alright.

Still, although pata2001 vehemently disagrees, AAL is the smartest lossless solution there is (was...) for use w/ a portable device given the way it allowed you to keep lossless on your PC and lossy on your device.

Still - ditching ATRAC is waaay waaay too late. It should have never even existed in the first place.

-Nav

Given how easy it is to convert AAL to WAV and then batch convert to MP3, I think you should be alright.

Still, although pata2001 vehemently disagrees, AAL is the smartest lossless solution there is (was...) for use w/ a portable device given the way it allowed you to keep lossless on your PC and lossy on your device.

Still - ditching ATRAC is waaay waaay too late. It should have never even existed in the first place.

-Nav

Thanks for the balanced response, though I continue to think that ATRAC has always stayed at the top of the game for balancing sonic fidelity with versatility and development. And as for going from ATRAC Lossless to WAV and then MP3, I'm not willing to spend time re-apply metadata. Short and simple, Sony needs to integrate the conversion function into SonicStage ASAP -- and hopefully take from the Lossless portion of the file rather than the lossy portion.

You think Sony will update the firmware of all their walkman... :lol:

NW-A3000 is old stuff (I know I have one)

I don't see why they would take the time and money to satisfy customers who already paid ^-^

quote : " All of Sony’s new Walkman music and video devices will be supported by a very wide range of third party services around Europe."

if you read carefully you will see the subliminal message concerning the NEW walkman...

another funny quote :

"Thank you for all your purchases and feedback"

Now that I remember what kind of "feedback" I sent them about connect player and sonicStage ...

I read :

"thanks for the money and for sending your complains to dev/null"