After all that....

Rate this question

DSJ

Question

17 answers to this question

It is funny reading many of the predictions about how Sony would redesign the PSP.

- 33% Lighter

- 19% Thinner

- Improved battery life

- TV out

Also:

The impatient among us will be glad to note that the PSP Slim & Lite can temporarily store game data from UMDs, reducing load time during game play. :D

These are nice improve. Sony will not drop the UMD drive. The UMD drive is a definite flop for watching movies, but the addition of TV out should resolve this issue. UMD drive are required to load games. As a person who daily uses the internet, having sporadic performance is the major reason that I will never download games.

This is a good move Sony.

Yes, I agree, very ho-hum news. Some good, some just boring, one thing I might not like. They say performance, battery, wifi, and cpu will be better.

But I dont know if I will like the headphone jack located directly under the "Home" button.

I do like the 2 front speakers raised up. Video out is a BIG plus. And I like Star Wars and all, but Star Wars Edition anything seems too played out for me. And a image of Darth Vader on the battery cover isnt very original.

Edited by Bazooka

It doesn't seem worth upgrading for current psp owners, (well for me anyway), its a shame they didn't make a brighter screen, thats all I really want. ok I wouldn't buy a new psp just for that, but still this dousn't look aimed at current psp owners.

Unless you REALLY want to hook up a portable games console to a TV? blah!

Edited by DannyB37

It doesn't seem worth upgrading for current psp owners, (well for me anyway), its a shame they didn't make a brighter screen, thats all I really want. ok I wouldn't buy a new psp just for that, but still this dousn't look aimed at current psp owners.

Unless you REALLY want to hook up a portable games console to a TV? blah!

I read various news stories about the slimmer PSP on google news today, and about half of them claim there is a brighter screen for the PSP.

I read various news stories about the slimmer PSP on google news today, and about half of them claim there is a brighter screen for the PSP.

As soon as that is officially confirmed, I'm in! ;) Although leaving home brew would be hard.

Edited by DannyB37

Its time to to sell my old PSP now .

I am waiting to see the pricing of this new model, but I will not sell my old PSP. The thinner and lighter are the key selling points for me on this player, since the PSP does seem bulky at times. However, the more that is reported about this unit the more appealing it is.

i would say it's attractive enough for people who don't have a psp yet, exciting release bundles in Asia region for sure, however i see too many English sites comment harsh on Sony, geez they go too hard for this innovative japanese company, or maybe that just doesn't suit them only. Even the Tv function is a good point, DVD quality movie and pictures on ur Tv screen as u connect the psp, smooth and fantastic game play on the Tv too, resolution is pretty good, the link shows some pictures. Pretty good limited edition Final Fatasy bundle too, it looks prettier than the star war ones. From the Sony Japan March news PSP is picking up the sale speed, this will increase the sale for sure

http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/0/27290.html

pictures of sep 20th release and accessories

Edited by gotthat

This improvement is just like the same path ds phat has taken, and look how successful ds is now!, why they dont add hdd on it is because they have to compete with ds lite's pricing, also IMO adding a hdd is kind of useless, just use a memory stick, it should suffice most users need!.

Also on the japan sony site, there are alternative colours apart from the silver and piano black!. check it out if you got time! they are the most freshest colours!

I think for me the original is still the best. I am not too fussed about the size, as I never use the PSP on the move to feel the size. Also, the old PSP has better grip handles on the back, whereas the new one seems to get its thinner form from the lack of these handles. I think this is going to pose a serious problem for longer game sessions. The ceramic finish on the rear of the new PSP may result in many broken consoles - me thinks its going to slide out of people's hands.

The TV out could be valuable depending on how good the graphical output is - will it be equivalent to the PS2?

I'm not in any way bitter that I have an old one and a new one is coming out, but I dont think I will upgrade. I will just persevere with slow load times. How much faster could they really make it? I doubt if it would make the world of difference. The CPU is still slower than the CPU in my mobile phone!

HK_loves_u,

The ability to download and save games on the HDD is one of the major consideration for those that want the PSP to have a HDD. It does not surprise me that Sony did not add a HDD, since it would increase the size of the PSP and add extra weight. Utilizing a memory stick would be a better method, and be consistent with design consideration made for the original PSP.

DSJ,

You can take a look at the link that gotthat provided it. However, the video out only display the native PSP and one game. The video resolution should be as good as the number of pixels being displayed. With the video out it all depends on how Sony implemented it. Yes, there are limitations, but I do not expect it to compete with standard video.