Sony products

Rate this topic

juli_

hi guys,

it's been a while since my last post here, but here I am again :)

time to sum up my sony products:

Sony NW-A1200, sony NW-S703, sony NW-A805, sony MHC901AV, 3 x sony PCDP, sony Casette walkman (Old skool :D ), Sonyericsson S700i, K700i and V800i and an other sony mini hifi set.

And If that isn't enough, I have also owned: MZ-N707, MZ-NH900, PSP, sonyericsson W800i and 2x sony MDR-EX71

So I think sony has had enough of my money.

BTW, I LOOOOVE sony Vaio notebooks. (especially the TX series) But there's just one notebook out there that I love a little bit more: The Apple Macbook.

As the matter of fact, I'm typing this message right on the brand new Macbook I bought 2 weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong, DSP hasn't turned around in one of those over fanatic Apple worshippers during his absence. He still hates the ipod and now the iPhone too, but I must admit that the macbook (and Mac in general) has me a bit lovestoned.

Allthough I must say the Vaio design still attracts me :$ ...........

So DSP has something to dream about...............***If you could only run Mac OSX on a sony vaio****

greetz

hi guys,

it's been a while since my last post here, but here I am again :)

time to sum up my sony products:

Sony NW-A1200, sony NW-S703, sony NW-A805, sony MHC901AV, 3 x sony PCDP, sony Casette walkman (Old skool :D ), Sonyericsson S700i, K700i and V800i and an other sony mini hifi set.

And If that isn't enough, I have also owned: MZ-N707, MZ-NH900, PSP, sonyericsson W800i and 2x sony MDR-EX71

So I think sony has had enough of my money.

BTW, I LOOOOVE sony Vaio notebooks. (especially the TX series) But there's just one notebook out there that I love a little bit more: The Apple Macbook.

As the matter of fact, I'm typing this message right on the brand new Macbook I bought 2 weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong, DSP hasn't turned around in one of those over fanatic Apple worshippers during his absence. He still hates the ipod and now the iPhone too, but I must admit that the macbook (and Mac in general) has me a bit lovestoned.

Allthough I must say the Vaio design still attracts me :$ ...........

So DSP has something to dream about...............***If you could only run Mac OSX on a sony vaio****

greetz

I have also owned a couple of Sony RH1B mini disc recorders.

:D We're counting the media too? OK, I have a couple packs of Sony DVD blanks, each has 50 DVDs in it. :D:D If we start counting media, blanks, accessories, etc, then everybody will have countless of Sony products.

:D We're counting the media too? OK, I have a couple packs of Sony DVD blanks, each has 50 DVDs in it. :D:D If we start counting media, blanks, accessories, etc, then everybody will have countless of Sony products.

LOL! No media, and no supplied headphones. And no SE products. There are no rules - but these are the rules :lol:

Hum...

2 Blacktrinitron TV's

1 VCR

1 PS1

1 PS2

1 PSP

2 Walkmans ( 1 Tape + 1 MP3)

2 Hifi Stereos ( 1 big + 1 Micro )

3 Sony ecricssons ( K750 + T610 + P990)

1 Radio + Tapes player

2 Headphones ( 1 normal + 1 in-ear)

2 alarm clock's

= 18 Sony products

And I think I have more... =D

• 2 months later...

I didn't think I should be on the site because I don't have anything using the atrac codec, but I'm relaxing a bit because the spectrum of topics is so much broader. I'm also astonished at the high level of critical thinking and well-written posts. This place is a treasure and I'm humbled and grateful not to have been tossed off yet. I hope I'm allowed to remain here; I'll avoid my usual cynical manner and writing style (sometimes it comes with advanced age) because of the obvious competence and knowledge of this site's members. I mean this sincerely.

SONY is a culture both within the organization, of course, but also threaded throughout the various realms of end users. I realize this is obvious, but there was an exchange about ipod/apple and the public's embrace of the player and now the iphone and how they quickly became icons - everything 'was like' an i-product. From my vantage point SONY is truly the engineering innovator with the end-user always in mind first, not to mention the genius of its aesthetics (although they have shot themselves in the foot more than once with klunky looking duds). I have a PC, but yes, the MAC OS is the superior platform.

SJobs is the single visionionary at Apple and every division of the organization is in lock-step with his master plan for almost every product since his return to the company. SONY is a entire culture fully in tune with, yet able to contribute to and refine, an evolving ideal based on excellence. My read of the how the company 'thinks' is admittedly subjective, but it has been the subject of case studies in business schools for years. The issue however is SONY, and what sets this worldwide organizaion apart within general consumer circles and, I think as important, has been the choice of professionals.

The intermingling of general consumer *and* professional end-user acceptance of SONY is beautifully illustrated by my favorite example: SONY invented BETA. Although VHS (a JVC patent) became the consumer-accepted standard with most people dismissing BETA as history, in professional circles - industrial and broadcast - BETA became the only format. BETA has been in use for more than twenty-five years and remains functional and fully supported today. As a television broadcaster, I can attest to the quality of the $175,000 SONY studio cameras (that's without a lens or mount, mind you). You see them everywhere for a reason. Yes, Ikegami and a few others make excellent studio cameras, but SONY is the standard.

Personally, I seek out SONY for every possible purchase first. Only after I've found a product (rarely) that has a few features or levels of use that fit my particular need-of-the-moment do I buy another brand. Case in point: I have four Panasonic DVD-RAM recorders primarily because of the ease of use and menu set-up. But I checked out SONY first.

My SONY XBR LCD 60-inch monitor is over-engineered in ways that are not just apparent in the picture, but in the philosophy of the internal design. Originally I bought the same size SONY as a Wega model from Circuit City. I enjoyed it, it looked terrific and there was nothing I thought worthy of improvement. I can't remember why I ended up on the phone with a SONY engineer in Florida the first week I had the machine, but we chatted about our love of SONY and my new monitor. He told me about the XBR version, a series SONY has long manufactured as its 'flagship' of any given television product. He advised me to ditch the Wega and snag an XBR if Circuit City would go along with the deal.

Circuit City not only agreed (there were only two still available in the country because very few were built), but only charged me for the difference in price, not a small amount: $3,000 more. They didn't charge for the extra moving and restocking. The Wega weighed 97 lbs and was easily handled by the two-man crew; the XBR weighs 150 lbs and I had to remove the back hall stairway bannisters so these big men could heft and maneuver this heavy machine into my media room.

SONY is a company whose idiology and end products are, with rare exception, the best of the best. I can't cast an opinion of various audio codecs or their players. I will probably always remain ignorant because I so love my Best Buy Insignia players and my Creative Zen Xtras. But who knows - I love stuff.

PS: If I tend to overwrite or pontificate, just ignore my posts when you see my name. But in my defense, I'm good to small animals, believe in karma and never, ever fly through stop signs.

I can now add the Sony Bravia KDL32V2500 to my collection, Sony audio cradle/speakers, and another clock radio.

My old faithful Sony Trinitron gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago and only switched on twice a week. . . it was also developing a pink hue and the original remote had ceased working long ago. So at least I could fully justify buying the Bravia :)

Personally, I seek out SONY for every possible purchase first.

Well, with your fake EX90s, and your hope for a fake version of the Sony MDR-EX700SL. . . or maybe you mean you seek Sony out for larger purchases, like TV's? :lol::lol: :lol:

If you're a Sony fan, have you never considered buying of their daps, like the 7xx or 8xx series? They're both excellent.

Edited by juli

I can now add the Sony Bravia KDL32V2500 to my collection, Sony audio cradle/speakers, and another clock radio.

My old faithful Sony Trinitron gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago and only switched on twice a week. . . it was also developing a pink hue and the original remote had ceased working long ago. So at least I could fully justify buying the Bravia :)

Congratulations re the new Bravia Juli. How do you find the sound and picture quality? My 12 year old Sony Trinitron is on it's way out so I will be going for a 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma.

Picked up a pair of Sony MDR-V150 DJ phones for the pc (nice and cheap so it doesn't matter if the kids knock them about) and a pair of Sony MDR-V300 DJ phones for my self. The A806 drives them well.

Edited by markey

When I got the first 90s, the sound was so amazing you bet I went after as many as I could find from the same seller. I had done some research and found out the legitimate model is/was made in three locations: Japan, Korea and China. The newsgroup sites tended to sway equally toward the Japanese and Korean versions, giving the Chinese-made models somewhat poorer assessments, but not terrible. Where do these people come up with collective assesments and draw these specific conclusions I have no idea, but they post with conviction. As the cartoon caption from The New Yorker magazine famously reads: "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog."

The ebay seller had a lot of different SONY branded earphones on his site at ultra-cheap prices. But the earphones were of non-existent models. The EX-90s were the only earphones he sold that SONY produced, whether they were legitimate or not. Until the 90, no other earphone sported a driver larger than 10.5mm. Most were from 8.5 to 10mm. At 13.5mm, these phones were the first I had heard with the theoretical ability to move air at considerably lower frequencies. The vmoda is certainly a wonderful brand and the most highly rated I've encountered. For my ears, they don't have the depth of the 90 and run a 10mm (maybe I'm off by .5mm; I'll check the specs) driver. I have dozens of brands of smallish earphones. In fact, a 'bud' style set came with one of my earlier flash players and sounded astonishing. A fluke. Worth about 10 cents and looked it. But the sound was incredible.

Back to the story...

The 90s were packaged in a black, classy, shiny sealed box with all the appropriate markings and the N-U-D-E monitor signage, illustrations, disclaimers and so on, plus "made in korea" in teeny-tiny printing on the bottom. The phones themselves had the proper raised lettering of the model on one side and 'korea' on the other at the juncture of the cables. Convinced this was a brilliant piece of forgery to the smallest detail, I wanted confirmation I could enjoy the same level of lie for the same minuscule investment. The most vulnerable part of most little music gizmos, apart from the momentary switches (mouse clickers are momentary and can last hundreds of thousands of cycles), is the 3.5mm input jack. But only if you have more than one player and pass the same phones from one to the other. Just like with people, stress is bad. I own lots of players and wanted a set of phones for each. I was searching for something that sounded at least as good as the vmoda, only cheaper. These fakes fit the bill.

I ain't proud.

When I posed the question about the profit motive behind manufacturing such perfect counterfeits yet selling them for practically nothing, I hadn't really cared whether mine were real or not. Anything that can equal and in some ways surpass a vmoda, my benchmark, was ok in my book.

Every set of 90s I bought went through a fairly aggressive 72 hour break-in period, recommended for any earphone or speaker system. I treated these things as though they were the genuine article. The burn-in didn't really have much impact on the sound as it did with the vmoda. If you don't burn the v's in, they sound like soup cans and twine.

Since I posted the other day, I started to care about the genesis of my 90s because I had a pile of 'em. Should I buy a $99 set from J&R Music World, or from Sony? A visual inspection would only tell me so much, and my doubts about my fakes were based on the look of the silver cups of the earpieces. They didn't have that aluminum-y look. Silvery, but not spun aluminum. I like to save a buck, but I'm the type who likes to open things for a look-see. Sacrificing one pair of my ebay bought units would tell me what I needed to know: Is the housing plastic or metal? Only metal, in this case aluminum, could be razor thin and molded into a cup; plastic that thin would collapse. If the cup is plastic, it had to be thick and couldn't house a 13.5mm driver. Plus, the blow-up of the innerds of the unit is on SONY's site and in many other places. I could dismantle the sacrificed unit and see how it was put together. Why waste a hundred bucks to answer a question a $7 fake (or perhaps not...) could tell me. You don't have to be an engineer to open a little piece of equipment and dissect it. Like when I was a kid... I could take apart a watch, but I couldn't put it together again. Fortunately I am an engineer and have ruined a lot of equipment in my time so I don't much care if I wreck stuff.

The coolest part: The housing is meal - aluminum! Just like the 'real' thing. The driver measures 13.3mm/13.45mm depending on whether you set the calipers to inner or outer edge. Further dissection confirmed the precision of the construction of the phones. Does this prove absolutely these aren't fakes? No. But from my perspective any company or gaggle of fools who went to this much trouble to build a fake 90 and sell it for almost nothing on ebay could not be part of the culture savvy enough to be on the verge of dominating the world's economy within the next twenty years.

The aluminum housing simply doesn't look spun from the outside; from the inside it has the whispery strata to confirm the material. I'm guessing different plants use different processes to make the units, and very subtle diffences become apparent to someone either so twisted or so curious he would go to this much trouble to find out what's what. That twisted, curious entity is ... well, I guess that entity would be me.

I got lucky. Once in my life I got really, really lucky. (Or, perhaps not.)

Congratulations re the new Bravia Juli. How do you find the sound and picture quality? My 12 year old Sony Trinitron is on it's way out so I will be going for a 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma.

That's interesting. I think my Trinitron was about 12 as well, maybe that's their average lifespan?

The Bravia is excellent - but when I first turned it on, I almost screamed! Apparently, the settings are 'set' for showroom viewing, so contrast and brightness were on maximum. It was blinding! Once I'd changed all the settings and adjusted the backlight etc, the picture was excellent.

My only complaint is that the Sony Trinitron had a much better sound. The Bravia's speakers seem to be a lot smaller and the sound is not nearly as full as the Trinitron. It's as if the sound doesn't match the picture if that makes sense?? I don't know how to boost the sound quality without linking it up to a surround system, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.

I also bought another scart lead which made the colour much nicer. Bear in mind I'm not watching anything in HD yet (no Sky box and no HD DVDs), but the picture quality is amazing.

All in all, I'm really really happy with it. I got a good price of £579 at Amazon, and the same TV would have cost £843 at John Lewis! The old Sony was a 28" and this is a 32" which is the perfect size for our room. It's my first widescreen TV, and I had to get used to the screen 'stretching' 4.3 formats which made people shorter and fatter, but I've changed the format to display as it was originally broadcast. Then I can change the screen myself if I want to.

That's interesting. I think my Trinitron was about 12 as well, maybe that's their average lifespan?

The Bravia is excellent - but when I first turned it on, I almost screamed! Apparently, the settings are 'set' for showroom viewing, so contrast and brightness were on maximum. It was blinding! Once I'd changed all the settings and adjusted the backlight etc, the picture was excellent.

My only complaint is that the Sony Trinitron had a much better sound. The Bravia's speakers seem to be a lot smaller and the sound is not nearly as full as the Trinitron. It's as if the sound doesn't match the picture if that makes sense?? I don't know how to boost the sound quality without linking it up to a surround system, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.

I also bought another scart lead which made the colour much nicer. Bear in mind I'm not watching anything in HD yet (no Sky box and no HD DVDs), but the picture quality is amazing.

All in all, I'm really really happy with it. I got a good price of £579 at Amazon, and the same TV would have cost £843 at John Lewis! The old Sony was a 28" and this is a 32" which is the perfect size for our room. It's my first widescreen TV, and I had to get used to the screen 'stretching' 4.3 formats which made people shorter and fatter, but I've changed the format to display as it was originally broadcast. Then I can change the screen myself if I want to.

Yes, this is what I thought regarding sound quality. If you look at your old CRT Trinitron, you will see that the speakers have that huge casing around them to resinate in just like a normal loud speaker. But with a flat screen you have practically nothing at all. What you really need is surround sound amp, sub woofer and 5 surround speakers. I already have a Sony surround sound amp and speakers so I will just use that once I get my new Panny Plasma :) The sq on my Trinitron is great, I will miss it. How much did you spend on a new scart lead? It's surprising how much they can cost. You do get a better picture though.

How much did you spend on a new scart lead?

I got the Thor scart to scart from Amazon for £17.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thor-Scart-to-1-5m...4386&sr=1-1

It won What? Hi-Fi? Best Buy scart lead under £50, and I really found it made a difference. Normally I don't bother to upgrade scart cables, but in this instance it was worth it.

Yes, this is what I thought regarding sound quality. If you look at your old CRT Trinitron, you will see that the speakers have that huge casing around them to resinate in just like a normal loud speaker. But with a flat screen you have practically nothing at all.

You're right about the size of the Trinitron speakers! Unfortunately one of them had blown a long time ago, and there were no Sony replacements so we ended up with some strange generic one that didn't work very well. It would buzz at louder volumes, very annoying!

What you really need is surround sound amp, sub woofer and 5 surround speakers. I already have a Sony surround sound amp and speakers so I will just use that once I get my new Panny Plasma :)

I've got my eye on the DAV-IS10 surround system but I'm waiting for the price to come down. In the meantime I'm trying to adapt to the flatter sound, which is hard after my beloved Trintron sq :((

I didn't answer the question and don't mean to be evasive: my philosophy is quite elastic. SONY today, Korea- or China-tronics tomorrow. Considering the quality that goes into Samsung, a company I feel only recently 'found religion,' but builds superb TVs, and LG Electronics, formerly Lucky Goldstar, a company from which I would not buy a toothpick but today is the largest manufacturer of lcd displays on the planet and supplies panels for the biggies...

... sometimes it doesn't hurt to be flexible, if not downright fickle the way things change so rapidly in technology.

I already have a Sony surround sound amp and speakers so I will just use that once I get my new Panny Plasma

So when you watch TV, will you have the surround sytem on all the time? And won't it sound weird to have sound coming from behind you if you're just watching basic TV programmes (rather than dvds etc?). I haven't had a surround system before so I wouldn't know. But unless I watching a dvd I would only want the sound coming from around the TV or else I think it would sound unnatural. Any tips?

So when you watch TV, will you have the surround sytem on all the time? And won't it sound weird to have sound coming from behind you if you're just watching basic TV programmes (rather than dvds etc?). I haven't had a surround system before so I wouldn't know. But unless I watching a dvd I would only want the sound coming from around the TV or else I think it would sound unnatural. Any tips?

No, I won't be using the surround all the time. Only for movies and dramas ie. Law & Order etc. I like your self will just have to adapt to the sq of the new TV. However, you could just run the two front speakers through your amp if you wanted better sq but not full on surround.

I am not a firm believer in brand loyalty. Especially not with tvs. I might be looking for a new tv around feb. Right now my favorite would be Samsung F86 42in. Sony Bravias are seriously overpriced. As much as they are the creme de la creme, I cannot justify the huge price premium so it´s going to be Samsung , Panasonic or Sharp for LCD. Sony, however, has this certain penchant to come up with surprising products from time to time. I am thinking of the es standard dvd/sacd players and stereo amps that really offered great value. Sony has recently revitalized the es brand with some stereo equipment. I bought the new smaster digital stereo amp along with the fitting cd/sacd player after auditioning a lot of gear that cost twice as much. The ES value was definitely there so I bought the kit and tossed my 8 yr old advance accoustic stuff. Sony needs to repeat stories such as ES Series, R1 Cam, PS2 and so forth. Lately, there were a lot of product launches that were purely marketing and not helping the consumer in any way.

Edited by ceres

I am not a firm believer in brand loyalty. Especially not with tvs. Sony Bravias are seriously overpriced. As much as they are the creme de la creme, I cannot justify the huge price premium

I chose a Sony TV because I'd had a good experience with the last one, plus I paid £579 which I thought was quite reasonable.

I think they were priced at around £1200 at the beginning of the year. I definitely would not have paid that! So I think I got a good deal.

As for brand loyalty, none of my stereo equipment is Sony funnily enough, it's a mix of Nad, Yamaha and Panasonic! I have to admit I tend to go for the same brand if it served me well before, there's a 'security' factor about it I suppose.

The one thing I wouldn't buy is a Sony Vaio - my b/f had one (the chunky desktop replacement one) - it was really really noisy (a 'Google' search turned up several issues with it), although it wasn't a fault as such, it was too noisy to keep and very unreliable. I know it may have been a one-off problem, but it put me off, despite being a 'Sony' brand.

Edited by juli

I would never buy stereo equipment from sony.

I work in a HiFi store and sony is just overrated by most people.

The ES serie is really good, though it dus not stand up to other equipment from brands like Marantz, Denon and hell, even pioneer. The price difference isn't that big either. I think Marantz SR-4001 is one of the best value stereo Amps I know. It drives the Canton GLE-407's pretty good. And the SR-4001 only costs like 249 euros. take the CD-4001 with that and you have a good stereo set for 500 euros.

There are a lot of people who come and ask me for the ES serie but often they walk away considering a marantz, denon or onkyo or actually walk away WITH one of those.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I would never buy stereo equipment from sony. And then I mean in that line and price....

The midi sets from sony are really great fun.... also for the price. So it's pretty good stuff. But no sony Amps for me....

Only thing that would get me buying a sony CD player would be good'old Atrac :)

greetz

• 1 month later...

I have:

2 Sony VCRs (SLV-EZ77 and EZ715)

2 ICF-C630 clock radios

A 59cm Trinitron TV (KV-XF25M30)

2 Microphones-F-V120 and F-V420

MDR-EX32,IF140,E828,110LP headphones

ICD-B500 Digital notetaker

NW-E105 512MB Walkman

2 Micro Vaults (1GB)

DRU-710A DVD burner

2 1980's cassette Walkmans

• 2 months later...

As for the HDTV, I use Sharp's Aquos or somehting like that. But Sony's new TV line up design looks nice; anyways, Sharp and Sony started or goign to use same LCD plant so...

Other than TV:

NWZ-A818, PLAYSTATION3, NW-S706F/B, LAM-X1, NW-S203F/S, NW-A1000/B, NW-E407, PSP, MZ-E10.

MZ-E10 is my all time favorite Walkman; it's shame it doesn't support Hi-MD... I would like to see Sony to release very slim, as MZ-E10, Hi-MD player.

Edited by Zizone

MZ-E10 is my all time favorite Walkman; it's shame it doesn't support Hi-MD... I would like to see Sony to release very slim, as MZ-E10, Hi-MD player.

I've never had (or heard) the mini disc, but I've always read good reviews about the sound quality.

Zizzy :) . . . does it have a warm sound? How different is it to the 706 for example?

Does it use SS/Atrac and what's the highest bitrate it supports?

I'm very curious about the sq.

Here we go, a 12 year old 29" Sony Trinitron; 12 year old Sony video recorder; Sony DVD player; 5 year old 14" Sony Trinitron. A brocken 27 year old Sony clock radio and a 7 year old Sony clock radio. A brocken PS1; A PS2. A 20 year old Sony cassette Walkman, a Sony minidisc recorder and 3 Sony mp3 players. That makes a grand total of 13, oh both my sons have a Sony mp3 player each and the wife has an A1000. The 29" trinitron is on it's last legs so maybe a large screen Bravia at some point :)

In addition to the above, PS3(40 GIG); PSP; NWZ-A816(Pink); MDR-EX90LP IEM'S; MDR-V150 & MDR-V300 DJ headphones; KDL26U3000 26" LCD TV and a handycam video camera.

I've never had (or heard) the mini disc, but I've always read good reviews about the sound quality.

Zizzy :) . . . does it have a warm sound? How different is it to the 706 for example?

Does it use SS/Atrac and what's the highest bitrate it supports?

I'm very curious about the sq.

First of all, both devices, MD or flash Walkman, produce better sounds than most devices from competitors.

The thing is... I really miss using sleak remote with LCD on my shirt drawing people's eyes :sad: Back in the days, most people were using CD players.

First MD was released without PC support; it enabled people to record music in good quality or other option was cassette tape, MD was truly revolutionary device. Then, PC came with MP3 players. This resulted Sony to release Net-MD, that is MD player supported by PC.

NZ-E10 was released back in... eh I don't quite remember but mine was manufactured in 2003 in Sony's famous plan in Japan and supplied charging cradle, remote, and MD Walkman trademark carrying pouch. This device only supports ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus. I am sure it can support ATRAC3plus 352kbps but I haven't tried it. Since when ATRAC3plus 352kbps was out, I was with NW-S706F. If you really want me to... I was have to pull it out from my display... :o The thing is, it only supports regular MD, that is about less than half-GB. Now, there is new Hi-MD, that is 1GB. SO, I am really hopoing Sony will release last Hi-MD player with similar demension as MZ-E10.

The sound is very nice but I bet MZ-RH1, which is considered to have best sound quality among all MD players. But, I haven't used MZ-E10 for awhile, so I can't compare it to todays NWZ-A810 at this moment until I re-use it and see how it sounds.

MZ-E10_01_low.jpg

First of all, both devices, MD or flash Walkman, produce better sounds than most devices from competitors.

The thing is... I really miss using sleak remote with LCD on my shirt drawing people's eyes :sad: Back in the days, most people were using CD players.

First MD was released without PC support; it enabled people to record music in good quality or other option was cassette tape, MD was truly revolutionary device. Then, PC came with MP3 players. This resulted Sony to release Net-MD, that is MD player supported by PC.

NZ-E10 was released back in... eh I don't quite remember but mine was manufactured in 2003 in Sony's famous plan in Japan and supplied charging cradle, remote, and MD Walkman trademark carrying pouch. This device only supports ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus. I am sure it can support ATRAC3plus 352kbps but I haven't tried it. Since when ATRAC3plus 352kbps was out, I was with NW-S706F. If you really want me to... I was have to pull it out from my display... :o The thing is, it only supports regular MD, that is about less than half-GB. Now, there is new Hi-MD, that is 1GB. SO, I am really hopoing Sony will release last Hi-MD player with similar demension as MZ-E10.

The sound is very nice but I bet MZ-RH1, which is considered to have best sound quality among all MD players. But, I haven't used MZ-E10 for awhile, so I can't compare it to todays NWZ-A810 at this moment until I re-use it and see how it sounds.

MZ-E10_01_low.jpg

That's a nice sleek md unit. A shame they don't make them anymore :sad:

That's a nice sleek md unit. A shame they don't make them anymore :sad:

Yep. That's what I call a classic design. It's 6 years old but even today, it looks better than most other DAPs. :)

Wow, it's gorgeous! It completely passed me by when it came out. I went straight from the Walkman Cassette (which I used to use all the time when I did night shifts) to a 1GB Packard Bell Audiodream player (which sounded pretty nice to me for a first player). then to the 706 and 808. So the minidisc era went straight past me.

Markey, it seems the minidisc and the NW-HD5 still hold really high in people's estimation, (despite the advances in sound quality etc with newer players.) Makes you wonder what kind of success Sony would have if they revamped/updated the 2 units that so many people still love. I would definitely get a minidisc thingybob!!

I think the reason why I am so attached to MD is that it is closely tide to my teenage years (13ish), when I bought first DAP and started litening to music. I just wish they marketed better in overseas...

But yeah, seriously Sony should release one for like eh... celebrating 16th year! (I cannot wait for 20th year).

Edited by Zizone