MP3 Walkmans gone from USA SonyStyle

Rate this question

Akai Kenshi

Question

So, today while browsing the SonyStyle website, I noticed that the selection of MP3 Walkmans has been removed. Now it's just Sony Ericsson Walkman phones, PSP's, e-book readers, etc. under portable electronics. Not that we didn't know this already, but now it's become obvious that Sony USA doesn't see the MP3 Walkman as a viable enterprise.

I guess I'll be re-ripping all my CD's to AAC, and shopping for a Sony Ericsson. I could use a new cell phone anyway.

11 answers to this question

It could also mean that Sony USA will no longer be providing anymore Network Walkmans for the US market. No new models have been released in US since the NW-S705 model. It is said to see Sony USA concede defeat. However, I have heard the the Sony Ericsson phones do not require special software to manage your music.

Sony USA doesn't even stock the 4 gig W950i & W960i Walkman phones. The best on offer is the W880i with a 1 gig memory card.

Both of those phones only operate on one of the two American GSM bands, so they wouldn't work too well here, which is why SonyStyle USA doesn't stock them. Sony Ericsson's got this bad boy coming soon though: z750a. It's not Walkman branded and is limited to 32 MB and Memory Stick Micro for storage, but it does have a media player on it. Pretty cool phone actually, works on every GSM and UTMS/HDSPA network on the planet.

But I digress. I saw the two new Chinese players a while back, but I thought they were destined for Sony China only.

Edited by Akai Kenshi

Yeah, I think Weaves is right - announcement at the end of the month at the IFA. I just hope it's more than this Rolly thing, which seems like another Mylo - cool, but ultimately too niche.

-Nav

The product will be announced on September 10th in Tokyo.

It is related to eyeVio, so it does seems like another Mylo.

Hm.

I just go to play around with the NW-A800 for the first time today, and I was seriously impressed. It's tiny and lightning quick - I have serious doubts that this Rolly will be as good.

I don't think I would blame Sony for giving up, but it seems like an odd choice when your hardware is actually superior, all Sony fanboyism aside.

Ah well.

-Nav

I think it is too early to say Sony gave up U.S. DAP market just by looking at the disappearance of flash Walkman on US Sonystyle.com

The best DAP they had on US sonystyle was NW-S700 series. When US Sonystyle dropped NW-S700, so did the JP.sonystyle.com.

So, this may suggest that new product is about to be released.

Edited by Zizone