Sony NW-A800 offically disconinued!

Rate this question

veggiemusician

Question

• Answers 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Is it normal for Sony daps to be discontinued after such a short time? Or is this true of Creative, iPoo, Samsung etc? Does this mean we won't get firmware updates for the 706 and 808 anymore?

The A8xx seems to have had the same shelf life as the HD5, 4 months :sad:

Edited by markey

Ridiculous! The A80x is a real masterpiece. Perfectly build, beatiful, solid and compact, long battery life, lean but excellent SQ.

Ah, it probably just didn't sell well, and I'm not surprised.

The Internet is filled with complaints about SS and since the internet is the main source of 'information' for most consuments...

To me, it feels like the ipod-fanclub (it doesn't matter how it sounds, just as long as it is easy and hip) has won and portable-audio-with-SQ-first- eved-if-it-is-more-trouble-to-fill-the-thing lost,

the a800 series was never meant to have a long run.

Why Not???

Why bother to go trouble designing and building something different if it was intended to give it a short future???

Why do Sony spend a fortune constantly changing their hardware?

They never give the public a chance to get familiar with a new product.

How do they expect to make a real challenge to the ipod in this way??? :sad:

4mths would be typical in the cell phone business and I don´t think a8 was selling bad.

a) sony is revving up big time and ready to release new walkman products twice per year or has some other strategy up the sleeve at ifa

B) sony is getting out of the market which i cannot believe as they have put very much effort in the dap business the past 12 months and are spending major $$$ on marketing (uefa champions league etc.) of course, corporate bigwigs might decide to pull the plug just bc they will not win world dominance.

Why Not???

Why bother to go trouble designing and building something different if it was intended to give it a short future???

Why do Sony spend a fortune constantly changing their hardware?

They never give the public a chance to get familiar with a new product.

How do they expect to make a real challenge to the ipod in this way??? sad.gif

I know, it's complete madness. 4 months is no time at all for anyone to get really familiar with a product. I am still learning all sorts of new things about mine, and now it's 'history' already? Well, I'm glad I bought my daps before they were relegated to the scrap heap so cruelly and prematurely :lol: :lol:

Personally, I think I will shy away from the Walkman campaign going forward. I'm spending a bloody fortune on owning 'The Latest and Greatest' Walkman. It's complete madness considering my NW-HD3 is still as good as the day I bought it nearly 3 years ago and it is hardly used.

I wonder how the below email from Sony New Zealand fits with this news? I thought when they were talking about a firmware upgrade and improved functionality they were just referring to the current firmware upgrade. But maybe not??

----------------------------------------------------

Hi David,

Thank you for your email.

The NWA808B will have new stock arriving in mid-September. We apologise for the delay in this model. The new stock arriving will have a firmware upgrade and improved functionality.

Best regards,

The My Sony Team

Customer Communication Marketing Division

Sony New Zealand Limited

PO Box 100-045, North Shore Mail Centre

Akoranga Business Park, Northcote, Auckland, New Zealand

Maximise you Sony experience and register your Sony products at www.mysony.co.nz

Edited by bob123

No reductions on the NW-A800 series here in Australia. O_O

On the other hand, some of the other Walkmans, like the NW-S706 and the NW-E000 series bar the NW-E003 in green and pink, have been taken off the Sony website.

The A800 series really need to be discounted here in Australia as they are way overpriced.

I'm hopefully waiting for the A808 to drop $100 before pounching on one.

The S705 is still available but SonyCental & other dealers are offering around $100AUD off at $220AUD rather than the Sony site's $329AUD.

The NWA808B will have new stock arriving in mid-September. We apologise for the delay in this model. The new stock arriving will have a firmware upgrade and improved functionality.

To me that sounds more like the NW-A808 will be updated. Not discontinued.

... and went into the Manchester Sony Centre to maybe buy an NWA800 and was told that Sony have ended production and something new is coming in september!

Is there *any* other indication that the model will be discontinued than the statement from this employee... ?

My Sony NWS705 has been stollen and went into the Manchester Sony Centre to maybe buy an NWA800 and was told that Sony have ended production and something new is coming in september!

hmmmm,,,,

I would doubt it. Sony generally phases out production of a product after a new one has been release, not before. Unless, it is Sony U.S.A and I am still confused about them.

However, there are reports that Sony will be coming about with a new product in September. From the teaser site it is hard to tell what it is.

I would doubt it. Sony generally phases out production of a product after a new one has been release, not before. Unless, it is Sony U.S.A and I am still confused about them.

However, there are reports that Sony will be coming about with a new product in September. From the teaser site it is hard to tell what it is.

Where would one go to have a look at this?

Where would one go to have a look at this?

You can look at both links below. The just bombard you with information.

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Rolly/index.html

http://www.rolly-show.com/index2.html

However they will announce the product/service on Monday September 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM Tokyo local time.

You can look at both links below. The just bombard you with information.

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Rolly/index.html

http://www.rolly-show.com/index2.html

However they will announce the product/service on Monday September 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM Tokyo local time.

Thanks for the Link & the info, but I couldn't make head or tail of them. Do you have any others?

Thanks for the Link & the info, but I couldn't make head or tail of them. Do you have any others?

I do not have any others. The details are very limited, thus I will wait until Sony releases more details.

edit: Take a look at this link http://eyevio.jp/channel/eyevio_33210

Edited by Shinji Ikeda

To be honest it doesn't look much difference to the A800 series. The only attraction for me would be using it without relying on SS. Apart from that I'm happy with what I have.

I agree. The 615 looks like a SE Cellphone I once owned. The now defunct 850. Not much of a screamer.

The new 815 Z isn´t much of a screamer either, only a stop gap and a more viable option for US. Moving to WMP Play for sure is a half-baked move. WMP is much better than most people believe but still no podcast support (argh). MS has more or less abandonded Plays for Sure so why is Sony travelling down this route? I can see Napster on the packaging of the new device but what of rhapsody and the likes?

Aren´t they deploying a totally different drm scheme?

That would leave us with:

• Connect now officially dead
  • itunes store
  • Zune Marketplace incompatible
  • Rhapsody likely incompatible
  • Napster now official replacement for Connect

If I cared for music downloads I wouldn´t be particularly excited with the new products.

Oh, I am sure a mere firmware upgrade won´t do for existing A 800s. BC of technical feasibility? Don´t think so.

I see playforsure on the new sony boxes - which means......

DRAG N DROP

for any windows XP and Vista PC!

Yay!

That's just what I was thinking. Does this mean the end of Sonic Stage? Lets hope they can do better than 2gb though.

That's just what I was thinking. Does this mean the end of Sonic Stage? Lets hope they can do better than 2gb though.

Do not you think that Sony would release at least a 8GB model. I suspect this is the case, and hopefully a 16GB model. Even with the PS3 they increase the hard drive size, so at least 8GB for the top of line model.

So, is this the first time Sony has done something that we here have been asking for? i.e. just taking the NW-A800 and getting rid of Sonicstage?

If they keep everything else the same - AAC support etc., wouldn't that make it the perfect player?

Still - why choose an obviously dying DRM format?

I'm pretty impressed though - the NW-A800 is like the perfect player. If I can use WMP 11 rather than the Sonicstage... wow.

Maybe this was the 'Sony Changes Everything' teaser we got. [Edit: Maybe? This is totally that change]

-Nav

Edited by navsimpson