Sony NW-A800 offically disconinued!

Rate this question

veggiemusician

Question

• Answers 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do not you think that Sony would release at least a 8GB model. I suspect this is the case, and hopefully a 16GB model. Even with the PS3 they increase the hard drive size, so at least 8GB for the top of line model.

If they did only bring out a 2gb model that wouldn't surprise me, as nothing surprises me with Sony. You are right, it only make sense to bring out 2, 4 & 8 gb models and maybe even a 16gb model.

So, is this the first time Sony has done something that we here have been asking for? i.e. just taking the NW-A800 and getting rid of Sonicstage?

If they keep everything else the same - AAC support etc., wouldn't that make it the perfect player?

Still - why choose an obviously dying DRM format?

I'm pretty impressed though - the NW-A800 is like the perfect player. If I can use WMP 11 rather than the Sonicstage... wow.

Maybe this was the 'Sony Changes Everything' teaser we got. [Edit: Maybe? This is totally that change]

-Nav

I hope we current a8 users won´t be left in the sonic rain. Sony better not tell me that a mere software update doesn´t suffice to add wmp syncing.

One more thing: wmp 11 has no built in aac support so you cannot add aac files to the powerful library. Will MS rectify this situation?

Too much politics involved if you ask me.

i presume if this new player is plays for sure compatible that it won't support atrac? maybe it will support wmp and ss, although i doubt it. which also raises another question, if it is only supported by wmp and wont be atrac compatible then bang goes gapless playback? it's not a major issue to me but id be a little gutted if this were to be the case. does any1 think it is worth me ripping my cd collection using wmp yet, or i s that just me being a little eager to live life without sonicstage :lol:

I hope we current a8 users won´t be left in the sonic rain. Sony better not tell me that a mere software update doesn´t suffice to add wmp syncing.

One more thing: wmp 11 has no built in aac support so you cannot add aac files to the powerful library. Will MS rectify this situation?

Oh yeah. Thanks Ceres, I'd forgotten about that. Hm. Maybe Sony will provide a plug-in, a la Orban? Or their own plugin that lets ATRAC files be played in WMP?

-Nav

I would be so happy if I could sync the 706 and 808 with wmp 11. It doesn't help when I start up wmp and get the tantalising offer: 'Do you want to sync with network walkman'. Well, yes I do!! If the new looky-likies don't need SS, does that mean one day our existing 700/800 could get a firmware upgrade that would enable us to use the sync feature, or would that only be possible for new players?

I would be so happy if I could sync the 706 and 808 with wmp 11. It doesn't help when I start up wmp and get the tantalising offer: 'Do you want to sync with network walkman'. Well, yes I do!! If the new looky-likies don't need SS, does that mean one day our existing 700/800 could get a firmware upgrade that would enable us to use the sync feature, or would that only be possible for new players?
I read somewhere else that's just impossible, although I would like to see somebody else confirming the opposite ;)

I was wondering that Sony could be releasing another software to manage people music. A kind of carrot for those who have not upgraded the Network Walkmans. It would be mystifying if Sony abandons ATRAC altogether with this new player.

i thnk that they will probably will anounce the rolly or what ever it is along with the ss free a810 series.

it would be a real pity if they discontinue the a800 series without giving the firmware to add wmp11 support. how ever discontining the a800 series makes sense when you consider the fact a beautiful player doesnt sell well because of ss. so they probably want to try a new strategy without ss and for that they would need to get rid of the a800 series.

I agree. The 615 looks like a SE Cellphone I once owned. The now defunct 850. Not much of a screamer.

The new 815 Z isn´t much of a screamer either, only a stop gap and a more viable option for US. Moving to WMP Play for sure is a half-baked move. WMP is much better than most people believe but still no podcast support (argh). MS has more or less abandonded Plays for Sure so why is Sony travelling down this route? I can see Napster on the packaging of the new device but what of rhapsody and the likes?

Aren´t they deploying a totally different drm scheme?

That would leave us with:

• Connect now officially dead
  • itunes store
  • Zune Marketplace incompatible
  • Rhapsody likely incompatible
  • Napster now official replacement for Connect
If I cared for music downloads I wouldn´t be particularly excited with the new products.

Oh, I am sure a mere firmware upgrade won´t do for existing A 800s. BC of technical feasibility? Don´t think so.

Why would Rhapsody be incompatible? It currently uses MTP, which the a81x apparently supports. But, I think that Rhapsody are about to launch in partnership with MTV and Verizon, so I don't know if it will stay that way.

As an aside: man, Sony really have to something about those names - couldn't this just be the Video Walkman 2?

-Nav

Edited by navsimpson

"As an aside: man, Sony really have to something about those names - couldn't this just be the Video Walkman 2?"

Sony like confusing names, NWA-810 sounds better to them than Video Walkman (not 2 becuase its the first one to the US)

I agree though it would do wonders for their marketing team if people could actually say the name.

I have a NW-HD5 and i just say walkman because no one knows what i am talking about otherwise

We might find that the 810 series is identical to the 800 series save for the firmware on it which could lead to 2 possibilities:

1) Sony do the right thing and release a 1.3 / 2.0 firmware that gives the 800 the same functionality as the 810

2) Some hacker in Internet land modifies the 810 firmware to allow it to load on to an 800

The case and screen look the same and as the player is basically storage, a CPU and an OS I can't think that there would be a technical reason to redesign the player to make it do what it needs to do, or maybe I'm just an optomist :)

"As an aside: man, Sony really have to something about those names - couldn't this just be the Video Walkman 2?"
Of course not - in order for it to be a 'genuine' Sony - the name must be awkward to say, hard to remember, and not related to what it actually is :D

We might find that the 810 series is identical to the 800 series save for the firmware on it which could lead to 2 possibilities:

1) Sony do the right thing and release a 1.3 / 2.0 firmware that gives the 800 the same functionality as the 810

2) Some hacker in Internet land modifies the 810 firmware to allow it to load on to an 800

The case and screen look the same and as the player is basically storage, a CPU and an OS I can't think that there would be a technical reason to redesign the player to make it do what it needs to do, or maybe I'm just an optomist :)

if they could do 1) then they wouldnt have to release an new range of walkmans. i think that they have to release a new range because they didnt want 2) to happen in the first place and there may have been some hardware restrictions to use ss. any just my 2 cents.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.act...;site=odw_en_GB

(this is also on the front page of sony.co.uk at the moment, if the link doesn't work)

I know I just posted this in another thread, but there's some of the details.

The A-810s seem identical to the A-800s (on features, anyway). I join the other posters on this thread on asking just what's so different with these 'new' models that can't be updated with a firmware update.

Of course, the firmware update may be forthcoming - Sony may just be using the new model numbers in order to differentiate between models shipping with SonicStage or WMP, and will soon be giving the A-800s some new firmwares. One lives in hope, anyway.

While I would try to find out something more official from a Sony Centre tomorrow, they're usually pretty clueless...

Of course not - in order for it to be a 'genuine' Sony - the name must be awkward to say, hard to remember, and not related to what it actually is :D

Well it's not really a name, it's a part number. iPods also have an equivalent with numbers like MA099LL/A. The actual Sony equivalent to saying "ipod nano" would be "walkman A", "Walkman S" and "Walkman E", except that they probably decided to not do that overseas and just marketing the product range as a whole.

Still, all this drag & drop goodness and I still can't make up my mind on A810, because I really could use the recording feature. :unsure:

I just checked out the special on sony.co.uk

The way it sounds drag and drop will be also available for music files. A reference to this is being made in the smalll q&a section. Use Windows Explorer to get itunes content on the device....

Also WMP11 is portrayed as being one option of getting music on the player - not the sole option. I will contact Sony UK and inquire about a firmware upgrade for current A8 Players. In case of negative response I will sell my unit on ebay and cut losses. The new series is being released in October (in Europe) which will leave ample time to unload my 808.

One more thing: dragging and dropping iTunes Plus content requires PROPER handling of AAC Tags.

If this all truly materializes the walkman will be the most open platform in the market along with niche manufacturers such as cowon and so forth.

This is a massive (irreversible) turnaround.

Edited by ceres

Yes yes yes yes

Yes yes yes yes :D Edited by juli

if they could do 1) then they wouldnt have to release an new range of walkmans. i think that they have to release a new range because they didnt want 2) to happen in the first place and there may have been some hardware restrictions to use ss. any just my 2 cents.

I am sure they will be able to update the firmware on the A800. I think the hardware difference on the A800 to the A810 is that the latter has a mini USB2 connector and the A800 has a Sony connector.

I am sure they will be able to update the firmware on the A800. I think the hardware difference on the A800 to the A810 is that the latter has a mini USB2 connector and the A800 has a Sony connector.

a person from sony on mp3generation claimed that upgrading the firmware is not possible and almost impossible. if no firmware is to be released, then no one can really check it.

Well, some guy around here was working on getting RockBox to work with his HD-5, was he ever successful?

I just received my NW-A808 earlier on this week and after seeing this news for the first time, and the news about the S615, I was kind of upset.

But now, thinking of it, I really don't mind! After realising that the S615 is kind of similar but certainly isn't any better looking, I'm really happy! Also, the fact that the NW-A818 just released in the U.S.A is pretty much the equivalent and not really some sort of 'upgrade' I'm still happy! :D

The only thing that is a bit upsetting are the offer now that Sony are doing (with the free speakers and all), but I'm not too fussed really :)

I just hope Sony carry on releasing new firmwares and keep us updated (WMP support would be great too!)

What do you guys think?

Edited by Kwiksta

yep on the sony style uk site it says uses the WM port for the a81x series

Is the only difference between the A800 series and the new A810 that you don't have to use SS with it?

The two units look identical in terms of size and button location. Could this mean that the architecture/innards is the same? If so, then I would think a flash update eliminating the need for SS should be available for the A800.

I don't care either way about SS. I have to admit after spending all that time getting the cover art loaded I'm kinda impressed with the power of SS. It is more robust than I though (still poor usability though).

The A800 is still for sale in Canada. I guess this is why the A810 is not available. Maybe they are going to wait until all the A800 units are gone. They have been using them in a back to school package deal that is bundled with a laptop, camera, bag, etc.

Edited by LuLu

2 gig model only for now, but good news is the price remains unchanged, expect arrival date is sept 26th.

LuLu have you noticed a lot of errors on the sony website? they mention the name NWZ610F in the 815B page.

Multi-formats? No problem

Multi-Codec support opens up the world of downloads

Not sure which audio files will work? Not a problem. The Sony Walkman® NWZS610F series is PlaysForSureTM certified and supports all major formats (codecs) including MP3, AAC*, WMA and WAV.

*supports non-copy right protected files only

lol

Is the only difference between the A800 series and the new A810 that you don't have to use SS with it?

The two units look identical in terms of size and button location. Could this mean that the architecture/innards is the same? If so, then I would think a flash update eliminating the need for SS should be available for the A800.

I don't care either way about SS. I have to admit after spending all that time getting the cover art loaded I'm kinda impressed with the power of SS. It is more robust than I though (still poor usability though).

The A800 is still for sale in Canada. I guess this is why the A810 is not available. Maybe they are going to wait until all the A800 units are gone. They have been using them in a back to school package deal that is bundled with a laptop, camera, bag, etc.

here's the thing, if a firmware flash was all that was needed to upgrade the older 800s, then sony could have just released that and continue production of the 800s, but production was stopped for some reason. It is possible that the New 8xx series has new chips in it? or better flash or something that would not allow firmware upgrades of the 800s?

Although I am sure if sony wanted to, they could provide a firmware upgrade but decided against it. the only way to compare it, would be to buy an older 800 and the new one, and open them up and compare components or somehow acquire the service manuals for both units :P

the 800's on sonystyle are the last of the lot, and will be phazed out once the new units arrive, probably disappear from the site once all the new 600s are in stock.

here's the thing, if a firmware flash was all that was needed to upgrade the older 800s, then sony could have just released that and continue production of the 800s

OK, I did not like reading this :sad::mellow::unsure: It makes perfect sense of course, that's why I did not like reading it.

I am going to rewind myself back to 5 minutes ago and pretend I didn't see this :sad:

On the other hand Sony could have released the product under a new model number and campaign to highlight the more universal nature of the device. A firmware upgrade wouldn't have had the same effect as a new product line....so you never know they might quietly provide a firmware upgrade and pretend the A800 never existed....

On the other hand Sony could have released the product under a new model number and campaign to highlight the more universal nature of the device. A firmware upgrade wouldn't have had the same effect as a new product line....so you never know they might quietly provide a firmware upgrade and pretend the A800 never existed....

this is what happened with the Vaio pocket, a fantastic player that didn't play MP3s originally, but after a firmware upgrade it could. Didn't make any difference, it was still known as the player that didn't play MP3s and therefore nobody bought it :unsure:

LuLu have you noticed a lot of errors on the sony website? they mention the name NWZ610F in the 815B page.

Yes, clearly they were in some kind of a hurry. The NWZS618FS with 8GB Memory was listed as having 4 gig (no mistake in the price though). They've fixed that. There was another error but I can't recall it right now.

Just noticed something else. The earphone jack on the NWZ-SA61X series is at the top.

Edited by LuLu

I think it has USB2 at the bottom