Whatever came of "Teaser: Sony Changes Everything"

Rate this question

bob123_

Question

17 answers to this question

hmm

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/28/sony-pr...es-of-walkmans/

from engadget.com

Sony prepping an NWZ-series of Walkmans?

Not 100% clear what's going on here, but it looks like a new network Walkman was loosed (or is about to be) somewhere in the world. Cutting through the blur, we see that both players will offer 18 hours of video / 33 hours of audio with support for DRM'd WMA files. Both models -- NWZ-S615F (we think) and NWZ-A815 -- offer 2GB of flash and mimic the style of Sony's NW-A800 series of Walkman devices. Our tipster tells us to expect a launch in September so we'll know the poop soon enough.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-preppi...es-of-walkmans/

I would need more than 2 gigs :/

i guess the S model is the specialized one and should have noise cancelling built in

not sure why hte models are NWZ and what the F stands for in 615F, interesting news indeed here, i really do hope they are UMS just as was mentioned in a comment on engadget from some user.

edit...

a user on generation mp3 says that upgrading the older a800s to new ums will not be possible since it is impossible, not sure why. production of older a800 is stopped and no more stock is being sent to dealers. announcement due at the beginning of september. :P

Finally! A80x for the US. Man, Sony USA is just too stupid. I mean, NOW they are releasing 2GB players? New iPods are coming pretty soon. Again, Sony USA, stupid and late AGAIN and AGAIN. Looking at the NWZ series, looks like Sony gave up Connect in favor of Windows Media play-for-sure DRM :( Talk about dumber and dumber, even Microsoft is dumping play-for-sure, and now Sony is adopting it?

Maybe Sony should just stick making PCDPs and MDs. They were pretty good at those. It's unfortunate that they gave up on those.

By the way, for a blog called Atraclife, we're kinda behind the engadget people now. C'mon, just spill the juicy stuff already. Maybe ishi and friends are held back by NDA?

EDIT: Apparently this is NOT the NW-A80x, but the eveil twin, NWZ-A81x. WTF? Being Windows Media play-for-sure device, I'm afraid it's won't have the drag-n-drop features of the NW-A80x. How stupid is Sony USA? Why can't they just release the plain Nw-A80x in the US, since they're out in Canada already?

It seems that Sony is going to use the NW-A800 series form-factor for both new models. The NWZ-A810 series I suspect will replace the NW-A800 series with longer battery life for videos, and (I hate to say no) SonicStage. The NWZ-S610 series would replace both the NW-S600 and NW-S700 series. There is little change if Sony will only release a 2GB. There will be a 4G and a 8G model. Hopefully, Sony will release a 16GB model.

I will wait and see what is going to happen.

At least the NWZ-S610 will be released in USA, Sony can not abandon USA.

Finally! A80x for the US. Man, Sony USA is just too stupid. I mean, NOW they are releasing 2GB players? New iPods are coming pretty soon. Again, Sony USA, stupid and late AGAIN and AGAIN. Looking at the NWZ series, looks like Sony gave up Connect in favor of Windows Media play-for-sure DRM :( Talk about dumber and dumber, even Microsoft is dumping play-for-sure, and now Sony is adopting it?

Maybe Sony should just stick making PCDPs and MDs. They were pretty good at those. It's unfortunate that they gave up on those.

By the way, for a blog called Atraclife, we're kinda behind the engadget people now. C'mon, just spill the juicy stuff already. Maybe ishi and friends are held back by NDA?

EDIT: Apparently this is NOT the NW-A80x, but the eveil twin, NWZ-A81x. WTF? Being Windows Media play-for-sure device, I'm afraid it's won't have the drag-n-drop features of the NW-A80x. How stupid is Sony USA? Why can't they just release the plain Nw-A80x in the US, since they're out in Canada already?

Dude, it supports Playsforsure but also does UMS. And why are people thinking that this will only be a 2GB model? It'll be the same as before - 2, 4 and 8, maybe even 16.

I think Playsforsure is kind of strange as well, but it's light years beyond Connect, especially if it works with Napsters subscription option.

-Nav

How do you know that it's Plays-For-Sure? Does it have to be for DRM WMA?

How do you know that it's Plays-For-Sure? Does it have to be for DRM WMA?

the retail box as shown on engadget gives it away.

@zizone

I don´t think it´s a replacement. From what I can gather the new product features the same feature set as the a8 so there stil needs to be another product to

fit in the s7 niche. maybe it´s that rolly thing.

Edited by ceres

the retail box as shown on engadget gives it away.

@zizone

I don´t think it´s a replacement. From what I can gather the new product features the same feature set as the a8 so there stil needs to be another product to

fit in the s7 niche. maybe it´s that rolly thing.

Well, I certainly hope so... since this gum shaped casing and jog-shuttle is what first brought me into Sony's flash Walkmans. Plus, there has to be a better or at least equivalent quality of design as NW-S700 series; this NWZ-S610 series just won't do for me.

Dude, it supports Playsforsure but also does UMS. And why are people thinking that this will only be a 2GB model? It'll be the same as before - 2, 4 and 8, maybe even 16.

I think Playsforsure is kind of strange as well, but it's light years beyond Connect, especially if it works with Napsters subscription option.

Nevermind. I posted my thread before the updated info at engadget. There are many MTP/play-for-sure devices that are not UMS capable.

Considering iTunes, Walmart, Amazon, EMI, Universal, all are going towards DRM-free music, this shows that Sony Electronics is still under control of Sony Music/RIAA for clinging into play-for-sure DRM, something that even Microsoft itself is moving away from. Creative is smart, advertising support for iTunes DRM-free AAC .m4a on their new Zens. These Sony players will be just another blip on the radar, considering that it's going to be released days after the upcoming Apple event.

Either Sony will be caught flat footed or have to scramble to release an updated model.

DRM is not going to die. By embracing DRM-WMA is a good move since it will increase the user base, however embracing WMA is not bright.

It seems that this Japanese electronic giant, is indirectly being dictated what to do by the American music division.

I for one will take a wait and see approach. When I have it in hand then I will decide.

Nevermind. I posted my thread before the updated info at engadget. There are many MTP/play-for-sure devices that are not UMS capable.

Considering iTunes, Walmart, Amazon, EMI, Universal, all are going towards DRM-free music, this shows that Sony Electronics is still under control of Sony Music/RIAA for clinging into play-for-sure DRM, something that even Microsoft itself is moving away from. Creative is smart, advertising support for iTunes DRM-free AAC .m4a on their new Zens. These Sony players will be just another blip on the radar, considering that it's going to be released days after the upcoming Apple event.

All going towards drm free music is somewhat jumping the gun. Parts of the catalog are being made available in an attempt to evaluate market response. Personally, I think it´s the right idea epecially with 256 kbits AAC files. If Microsoft´s plans with zune ever come to fruition remains to be seen.

As for the "new" Walkman it´s an improvement in the right department and that´s what should count for the time being. There will not be an uber device any time soon. For now its seems we get rid of sonic and retain very good hardware with best ui and build quality around. Connect and Atrac are gone and that won´t hurt anybody. We swap Connect wiith Napster, Atrac 132kbits for WMA 192kbits (rated just as high on recent soundexpert listening tests on par with nero aac and ogg and superior to mp3lame. certainly MUCH better than 132 kbits atrac) We get a subscription plan for unlimited dls. That´s moving in the right direction. It may be another blip on the giant radar but I don´t care about being the mothership on the radar. We leave that to Steve on the 5th where he will undoubtedly have a 16gig player for 249 or such. He can keep the clickwheel or touchscreen. I just want the 16 gig :D