New Walkmans (NWZ Series)

Rate this question

LG1_

Question

Rumors are abound of new walkmans coming out and here is something to back it up, maybe its only for the asian countries but i sure hope it comes my way.

USB and FM radio seems like a dream, now if it has a normal ac adapter and maybe even a remote jack then this is the next device for me.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/28/sony-pr...es-of-walkmans/

------------

A bit more rumor mongering for ya. The NWZ-A series will launch in 2, 4, and 8GB models in black, white, silver, and pink (8GB is black-only). The NWZ-S series includes an FM tuner. Both support USB Mass Storage with an announcement as early as Friday and will offer 18 hours of video / 33 hours

• Answers 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you look closely at the box for the NWZ-S61x series, I think it says 1.8 inch screen, but people are confusing it for 18 hours of video playback. These new players look good though, hopefully I won't have buyer's remorse with my A808 :mellow:

Also, they took out the clock from the main menu, and I'm guessing they replaced it with some folder view. The photos can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5th_avenue/

Edited by riceb0i87

Well from process of elimination we can deduce....

The TXT on the box is in English, therefore for sale in English speaking countries.

Napster (according to Wikipedia) is only in the U.S.A. Canada, UK, Japan (probably not) and Germany.

The Napster logo on the box means it support Napster (To Go), because of the gray underneath the word Napster in the logo. Meaning the device supports the Media Transfer Protocol AND possibly the standard Mass Storage Device standards, if they wish to maintain SonicStage/ATRAC compatibility. The Mylo supports both protocals.

The PlayForSure logo is green for Audio, so it doesn't support Windows Media Video. (Officially atleast.)

NapsterToGo_logo.gif

I'm just wondering if this device holds the key to the future of SonicStage & CONNECT. If it doesn't support CONNECT, then we can take some pretty big leaps forward, as to what Sony might do with their service. Either they'd convert CONNECT to MSDRM OR just abandon the service.

Here it is:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665224910

US$229 for 8GB. Cheaper than a Nano right? So definitely supports WMA DRM, but also does AAC. Totally confused as to what the software will be then.

-Nav

Update: It's WMP 11 'with MP3 conversion tools'. Still sorta' confused. Does that mean Sony are back to transcoding?

Update 2: I just realised: no ATRAC support. Holy crap!

Edited by navsimpson

Here it is:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665224910

US$229 for 8GB. Cheaper than a Nano right? So definitely supports WMA DRM, but also does AAC. Totally confused as to what the software will be then.

-Nav

Update: It's WMP 11 'with MP3 conversion tools'. Still sorta' confused. Does that mean Sony are back to transcoding?

Update 2: I just realised: no ATRAC support. Holy crap!

Hey, how did you find that? It was not listed on the regular menus. :D The prices looks ok-ish, but the new Creative Zen is cheaper per GB, and we don't know what Apple will do.

a800 is not ums and the 8 gig model is quite expensive. once sony does a umc device up here, I will consider buying it.

The A80x is UMS device. You only need Sonicstage to transfer music. Other things like videos are transferred drag-n-drop via explorer. Didn't you read the reviews on this thing?

Today I'll receive my A808, but now I'm sure wether to accept it or not. It might be better to wait for the new A818, because he seems to be way cheaper (sonystyle price= 230 dollar and I paid 230 euro for the A808, that's quite a big difference considering the fact 1 Dollar = 1.366 euro....) On the other hand, I don't like waiting so long for a new device, my current one (Cowon Iaudio U2, 512 MB :blink: ) just need to be replaced by a new player with a lot more memory :)

Today I'll receive my A808, but now I'm sure wether to accept it or not. It might be better to wait for the new A818, because he seems to be way cheaper (sonystyle price= 230 dollar and I paid 230 euro for the A808, that's quite a big difference considering the fact 1 Dollar = 1.366 euro....) On the other hand, I don't like waiting so long for a new device, my current one (Cowon Iaudio U2, 512 MB :blink: ) just need to be replaced by a new player with a lot more memory :)

no brainer, do not accept it. nobody knows if a firmware update will be made available to allow for wmp11 syncing with current A808. Apple will release something on Sep 5th and Sony will have to drop prices in response.

no brainer, do not accept it. nobody knows if a firmware update will be made available to allow for wmp11 syncing with current A808. Apple will release something on Sep 5th and Sony will have to drop prices in response.
Then I'll have to prevent myself for accepting it... Another thing, In holland there are not so many (web)shops selling the sony's. The price of a 808 is steady €230 for more than 2 or 3 month now. I don't really expect the Dutch shops to drop their prices.

€230, - is not bad; I paid €300,- in holland but it was very new then.

Damn, these new A8xx does not support ATRAC; not for me then, I'm not gonna rerip my library untill I absolutely have to.

WHAT!!!No Atrac, :blink: they could have at least left it for those who are upgrading from a previous Sony DAP (with all their music in Atrac format). Does that mean no SS.

I don't believe it. No Atrac, then no Connect Music Store, what would be the point..........and more worrying, no more SS support in a very short time from now.....I take back a previous comment on this forum, maybe Sony ARE changing everything!!??!!??!!??

It seems it still uses the WM-Port i thought it would use mini-usb

I still like the it supports more formats, i think if it was 16GB i would be happy. All we can do is wait

Looking at the specs on the SonyStyle site it looks as if they have done away with the WM Port. It now states on the specs- "USB Port(s) 22 pin to high-speed USB 2.0 connector" No where does it mention "WM Port" on the specs for this new player.

Sony USA:

"MP3/WMA/AAC Audio Codec Support3, PCM

Supports playback of MP3 and WMA DRM and non-DRM audio files downloaded from multiple sources. Also supports non-DRM AAC content, giving you multiple options for downloading music the way you want."

but no ATRAC... hmm..

This is because NWZ-A800 series uses WMP 11.

Edited by Zizone

So Sony has finally changed and moved away from SonicStage. The sad thing is that I suppose this means there's no gapless playback anymore. Ironic that the only reason I didn't adopt the iPod at the beginning was its lack of gapless playback. Then, when I was already hating Apple for just becoming the Microsoft of digital music and for the ridiculously worshiping attention it gets from the media, it supplies gaplessness and makes me get one iPod. Then, even having an iPod, I continue hating Apple for the way it dumbs down so many things and hope for Sony (or another, but I don't think any other would have the heft to do it) to come up with a good alternative. And then, finally, Sony tells me Apple will continue to be my only option because it will drop gapless playback (or am I wrong about this?).

hmm interesting

In stock. Estimated ship date: 08/30/2007.

so on thursday, no news on canada's sonystyle website so i guess we are not getting these yet or at all :/

My guess is that because Sony Canada will need to negotiate deals with Napster Canada, we won't be getting this for a while. Shame, as this seems like perfectly good reason to 'accidentally' drop my NW-HD3. :)

-Nav

Decided to accept my A808, couldn't resist it B) It would take ages before the A818 is available here in Holland and I just can't wait that long
Oh hahahahahahaha, I was going to write earlier that I bet you wouldn't be able to resist it. Anyway, you'll be glad you didn't wait, the 808 is sheer brilliance :D

The A80x is UMS device. You only need Sonicstage to transfer music. Other things like videos are transferred drag-n-drop via explorer. Didn't you read the reviews on this thing?

you just said you need soncstage to tranfer music, which is not UMS! once sonicstage is fully eliminated, then the device will be fully ums,

Sony USA:

"MP3/WMA/AAC Audio Codec Support3, PCM

Supports playback of MP3 and WMA DRM and non-DRM audio files downloaded from multiple sources. Also supports non-DRM AAC content, giving you multiple options for downloading music the way you want."

but no ATRAC... hmm..

This is because NWZ-A800 series uses WMP 11.

I think the wmp will be needed for the non drm and drm wma files, I seriously hope that the mp3 will just be drag and drops from windows explorer.

My guess is that because Sony Canada will need to negotiate deals with Napster Canada, we won't be getting this for a while. Shame, as this seems like perfectly good reason to 'accidentally' drop my NW-HD3. :)

-Nav

maybe, but I don't use napster or any other wma sites, I buy non drm mp3s and wav files, or stand alone cds. I'm hitting up the sony store this week, hopefully they will know what is coming.

hmm .I never wanted the next walkman to be somewhat same as A1000 or A800 :sad:..This is really sad .

Anyway ,what is this UMS ?

Edit :It looks ditto as A8xx series ,then what is the real difference b/w them?

Edit#2:Ok,jut found out that it doesn't support Atrac.That mean no SonicStage and It is supplied with WMP11.THen what's the use of releasing this walkman with same features like A8xx series(Except that software and Atrac thing ).lol Looks a joke to me ..hehe

I think the wmp will be needed for the non drm and drm wma files, I seriously hope that the mp3 will just be drag and drops from windows explorer.

maybe, but I don't use napster or any other wma sites, I buy non drm mp3s and wav files, or stand alone cds. I'm hitting up the sony store this week, hopefully they will know what is coming.

Yeah, me neither - sucks that we have to wait for things we don't use. Went to a Sony Store in Toronto a couple of days ago and they thought the NW-A800 was the current one - hopefully you have better luck.

-Nav

although there is a upside to all of this. seeing as this is only for the US, and the A800 was discontinued in europe, it means there has to be another player coming for the european market?

it would be a downer if that was the s7xx we just saw but if its something entirely new, it may also come to canada :P

The sad thing is that I suppose this means there's no gapless playback anymore.

Wow, almost forgot about that. You have an extremely important point, gapless playback. Previously, Sony players are gapless with Atrac. Now that Atrac is gone, if Sony doesn't implement gapless playback with AAC, this is like 2 steps backward! :sad: The S70x series can play gapless AAC, but only if they're ripped with Sonicstage (.3gp). WMP doesn't have AAC capability.

The sad thing is that I suppose this means there's no gapless playback anymore. Ironic that the only reason I didn't adopt the iPod at the beginning was its lack of gapless playback. Then, when I was already hating Apple for just becoming the Microsoft of digital music and for the ridiculously worshiping attention it gets from the media, it supplies gaplessness and makes me get one iPod. Then, even having an iPod, I continue hating Apple for the way it dumbs down so many things and hope for Sony (or another, but I don't think any other would have the heft to do it) to come up with a good alternative. And then, finally, Sony tells me Apple will continue to be my only option because it will drop gapless playback (or am I wrong about this?).

The gapless issue is the first thing that popped into my head when I read that the new Sonly walmans won't support ATRAC. I went through EXACTLY the same thing as you did Beethovenian - only went iPod because iPod introduced gapless playback. I'll be VERY surprised if the new walkman supports the LAME tags that allow for gapless playback. Though I was very surprised when Apple introduced support for them.

So go ahead Sony, surpise the heck out of me!!! :-)

Still, here's my prediction: the new nwz-a8x will be the first Sony player to get an Editor's Choice from CNET

Didn't the NW-HD5 get a CNET award? Or was that in a parallel universe? :lol: I never know what to make of some of CNET's reviews. I think one of their top choices within the last year was the Zen Vision:M, and I'm pretty sure CNET had access to the A808 and/or the 706 around the same time. Well, I heard the Zen, and while it sounded quite nice and inoffensive, it was absolutely nowhere in the same league for SQ as the 808 or the 706. I think CNET stated they thought the ZEN offered one of the best sounds they'd ever heard from a player. The Zen had maybe half the soundstage of the 808, the power seemed to be lacking as I had to have it set to around 80% volume to get the same volume as 60% on the 808. And the quality of the sound was really not on a par with the Sony, so I couldn't understand why CNET voted it above the Sony. The difference in SQ, soundstage and loudness was extremely noticeable, if CNET couldn't hear the difference between them, what does that say?

Edited by juli

So is everyone atleast happy that you'll be able to use these Walkmans with:

Real Rhapsody

Real Player

Windows Media Player

Yahoo Music Unlimited

F.Y.E. Downloads Unlimited

Napster

WinAMP

Or any other music jukebox that supports Microsoft's Media Transfer Protocol, as MTP support is a requirement for To Go services???

I'd say Sony CONNECT's days are numbered after this. Hey, I have 160+ purchased ATRAC3 tracks a VGP-AP1L, a A-1200, A NW-003F, a PSP and a Mylo AND a VAIO.

But unfortunately, though... This isn't so much of a shock for me, just kinda sad. :-(

I've already converted my CONNECT purchases into WAV's and backed them up, since the first day Engadet ran the article of Sony Pulls Plug On Connect.

Atleast my Mylo's covered with MTP.

I wonder if Sony's gonna work with Microsoft on enabling Memory Sticks embedded DRM (MagicGate) to work with the MSDRM? Though, I doubt it, since everyone thinks Microsoft is slowly killing Windows Media DRM competitors and focusing on the Zune.

So what's to happen with CONNECT? Relaunch with MS-DRM? Go DRM-Free? Close It Down???

Didn't the NW-HD5 get a CNET award? Or was that in a parallel universe? :lol: I never know what to make of some of CNET's reviews. I think one of their top choices within the last year was the Zen Vision:M, and I'm pretty sure CNET had access to the A808 and/or the 706 around the same time. Well, I heard the Zen, and while it sounded quite nice and inoffensive, it was absolutely nowhere in the same league for SQ as the 808 or the 706. I think CNET stated they thought the ZEN offered one of the best sounds they'd ever heard from a player. The Zen had maybe half the soundstage of the 808, the power seemed to be lacking as I had to have it set to around 80% volume to get the same volume as 60% on the 808. And the quality of the sound was really not on a par with the Sony, so I couldn't understand why CNET voted it above the Sony. The difference in SQ, soundstage and loudness was extremely noticeable, if CNET couldn't hear the difference between them, what does that say?

cnet usa didn´t have access to those players as big S didn´t release them in US of A. Cnet did however review the 703 and liked it a lot. Truth be told Sony HD5 won the best sound award back then on cnet.

Cnet asia reviewed A808 and liked it a lot. However, I don´t understand why cnet usa is that important. Usually, they blunder in every conceivable way when reviewing complex technology. They also fail -on a regular basis- to properly inform the reader of important interrelations when assessing products strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I find it strange that vital labwork isn´t done on expensive hdtv sets, computers and so forth. Instead personal, highly subjective opionions are published that contrast with reality (lab).

Oh wait: http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9768410-1...l?tag=cnetfd.mt

My A808 syncs ok with wmp11 so does my mindisk mz-rh1 dont bother with sonicstage as I just sync in mp3's

Allan

My A808 syncs ok with wmp11 so does my mindisk mz-rh1 dont bother with sonicstage as I just sync in mp3's Allan

Huh? You can drag and drop via wmp11's sync facility? How? I can see the option to sync when it's plugged in, but the option to 'view' or 'play' tracks after the sync is not available. Have you got some kind of superior 808 to me?? :huh: