Engadget sez-Sony NW-A800 now loose in USA!

Rate this question

Bazooka

Question

10 answers to this question

Here is the official site!

quick come, quick go

engadget seemed to have posted a link to the specs on sonystyle's website as well, and now when you go to that link (at least for me @ 10:15am PST) the link brings you back to the home page, and you can't locate any MP3 players on the drop down menu under "MP3 & Portable Electronics"

hopefully the specs come back up soon!

Scroll down this link:

http://crave.cnet.com/?tag=cnetfd.blogs

This unit does nothing for me. I have my HD5 until it breaks. Hopefully. by then, there will larger flash players (32gb). Here is my summary (FWIW):

1. I can't justify paying anywhere over $200 US when I paid @ $250 for my HD5 two years ago.
  2. The funny thing is that Sony always claimed more battery life because of ATRAC. If that was true, we should see decreased battery life. If no decreased battery life, they were probably lying for ATRAC's sake.
  3. If no gapless- why shouldn't I buy another player? Sony is just daring me to buy an iPod next, and I've supported Sony since early minidisc days. September 5th may be a big day for me now.

Scroll down this link:

http://crave.cnet.com/?tag=cnetfd.blogs

This unit does nothing for me. I have my HD5 until it breaks. Hopefully. by then, there will larger flash players (32gb). Here is my summary (FWIW):

1. I can't justify paying anywhere over $200 US when I paid @ $250 for my HD5 two years ago.
  2. The funny thing is that Sony always claimed more battery life because of ATRAC. If that was true, we should see decreased battery life. If no decreased battery life, they were probably lying for ATRAC's sake.
  3. If no gapless- why shouldn't I buy another player? Sony is just daring me to buy an iPod next, and I've supported Sony since early minidisc days. September 5th may be a big day for me now.

They always lied about the superiority in the sq department. That has been evident for a few yrs now. As far as battery life in concerned Sony might have had a valid argument as it is

rumored that the decoding of atrac material is less cpu intensive. But that, of course, depends on the cpu and software. Today AAC has strong cpu support. In the past Atrac might have been more efficient, especially at low bitrates. The past is the past, though.