NW-S706FV's Noise Cancelling Capabilities...

Rate this question

socom1

Question

For some reason, on or off, the ambient noise level is the same; the only difference is that the music tends to sound a bit better when noise cancellation is on. I've tried my test on a train full of middle schoolers... and NC on or off just sounds the same! Why is this? Is there a firmware update out? Is the headphone port not working correctly or what? I want to get it working ! :)

By the way, am I expecting too much from NC, or should there be some significant difference with it on or off.

Edited by socom1

8 answers to this question

Okay, apparently... when I thought it was on, it was off. So I found the Noise Cancel function under Advanced Settings, changed the mic volume and there is a subtle difference. Is there suppose to be a subtle or significant difference in ambient noise?

Edit: Significant? On what scale? 10 (without) to 5 (with)? Or 10 to 8? I'll try the train test again next week, maybe a house is too quite of an environment.

Edit: Is there any firmware available for the NS-S706?

Edited by socom1

Okay, apparently... when I thought it was on, it was off. So I found the Noise Cancel function under Advanced Settings, changed the mic volume and there is a subtle difference. Is there suppose to be a subtle or significant difference in ambient noise?

I also thought it was on when it was off for the first few months!! It's not very clear is it? It's only on when you can actually see it on the play menu. I used it on the underground and once I'd figured out why it didn't block out any noise whatsoever (because it was off!!!) - I then turned it on and it really made a huge difference. It obviously doesn't block it all out - but the deep rumbling of the train that transmits through the headphones is greatly reduced

Edit: Significant? On what scale? 10 (without) to 5 (with)? Or 10 to 8? I'll try the train test again next week, maybe a house is too quite of an environment.

You'll hardly notice it in the house. When you're on the train, just play around with the sensitivity slider until you're happy with it. Mine was always set to half way which was fine, as I wanted to hear any announcements coming through, but you may want to block more noise.

I always kept noise cancelling off unless I was on the train, because it wasn't necessary and it saved on battery life (not that the 706 really needed extra battery life!)

Thanks for the clarification Juli, it puzzled me why the NC icon was present when it was off... it made me think, "huh???," the text "Noise canceling > ON" is VERY confusing. I'll give the train test another go when school is back in session. I thought my 706 was defective! I'm glad it's not.

Is there any new firmware out for the 706 that I don't know about? Any mods, like the display one for the 5XX series?

Edited by socom1

the text "Noise canceling > ON" is VERY confusing.
I know, it's completely stupid. I have the same thing on my sat nav for the sound. There's a big X over the volume symbol, which indicates it's off. But in fact it means it's on - and the cross means that if you press the button, then it will be off. How confusing is that? It was confusing just to write it :blink:

When I read reviews on Amazon about the 706, someone mentioned exactly the same thing about the n/c. He had no idea it was off as it said: "Noise canceling > ON". I wonder how many other people are thinking the same thing!

Anyway, let us know if it works and remember to fiddle about with it on the train.

What is Sat Nav? I'm guessing there are a ton of stuff I have yet to learn about this unit... Are there any firmware or mods out for this player?

Satellite navigation for the car to stop me getting lost all the time! Re: firmware upgrade for the 706, I've never seen one, only for the 808. Look here for any information relating to the 706, downloads etc. http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/WM/NWF/...n&m=NW-S70X