S700 on the cheap.

Rate this question

Weaves_

Question

36 answers to this question

I is a better price than what was sold locally at the Fry's in Arlington, TX. They wanted 199.00 for a 2GB and 159.00 for a 1GB. That was about 5 months ago. Now they are selling them on clearance at $114.00 for 2GB and $99.00 for 1GB.

I went with the JR.com site for my 4gb. I hope that isn't a typo as I have never seen a 4gb model outside of Japan. I will let folks know around 9/7.

Joe

I is a better price than what was sold locally at the Fry's in Arlington, TX. They wanted 199.00 for a 2GB and 159.00 for a 1GB. That was about 5 months ago. Now they are selling them on clearance at $114.00 for 2GB and $99.00 for 1GB.

I went with the JR.com site for my 4gb. I hope that isn't a typo as I have never seen a 4gb model outside of Japan. I will let folks know around 9/7.

Joe

im sure that there're 4 gig models of S700 outside of Japan cuz we had S706 back in Canada but it was sold at $289 on the sony cananda site

Thanks,

Is the quality that much improved over an HD5 or NW-E507? I would bet the headphones would almost make it worth the price. Especially since I use Shures. I could sell the headphones to cover half the cost. :D

i havent used one, but from everyone who has S700, the sound quality sure surpasses HD5 and E507 for a number of blocks. For the headphones, do keep in mind that without them the noice cancelling function would be useless =P

Thanks,

Is the quality that much improved over an HD5 or NW-E507? I would bet the headphones would almost make it worth the price. Especially since I use Shures. I could sell the headphones to cover half the cost. :D

Being an owner of both the E507 and the S705F, I can say it is a big improvement in the soundstage. The sound's clearer, warmer and fuller. The earbuds that the player comes with are very good (they have a punchy bass) but I prefer the clarity of the EX90 earbuds (although these don't have the punchy bass pretty much).

i havent used one, but from everyone who has S700, the sound quality sure surpasses HD5 and E507 for a number of blocks. For the headphones, do keep in mind that without them the noice cancelling function would be useless =P

Thanks AntiPod,

But keep in mind, that with the Shure 310k iem, I pretty much have noice cancelling anyway. :)

that's a great price for the NW-S700 series, also the NW-S700 series is the second last atrac walkman (NW-A800 is made to be last atrac walkman). Considering the SQ, NC, slim and compact design, well plus the Japanese creative centre put sooooo much effort and passion to make this thing (believe me more than the NW-A800, since NW-S700 has been the most challenging project of all walkman). So that's pretty good reasons to buy it, cause in the future S series may continue and NC function may appear again, but it won't support atrac anymore, u have plenty of good reasons to get it from any perspective. It gives more bass response as well, SQ is certainly in the same high standard as the NW-A800

that's a great price for the NW-S700 series, also the NW-S700 series is the second last atrac walkman (NW-A800 is made to be last atrac walkman). Considering the SQ, NC, slim and compact design, well plus the Japanese creative centre put sooooo much effort and passion to make this thing (believe me more than the NW-A800, since NW-S700 has been the most challenging project of all walkman). So that's pretty good reasons to buy it, cause in the future S series may continue and NC function may appear again, but it won't support atrac anymore, u have plenty of good reasons to get it from any perspective. It gives more bass response as well, SQ is certainly in the same high standard as the NW-A800

gotthat where's the E010 series lol =D

Let me rephrase, I have never seen a 4GB S7xx series in the U.S.

Correct, the 4GB version was never released here in the US

However, companies can always buy off the 'old stock' of another company at a reduced price and re-sell them in another market that never had them.

I remember last year, before the US got hold of the NW-A1200, geeks.com had the European/Hong Kong version of the NW-A1000 (6GB) on their site for sale.

So it wouldnt be that far of a stretch that JR.com got them not from sony, but from another distributor, and are reselling them

i see, so my guess is that it is the violet version of the ones sold on woot.com back then. but it is definitely worth buying =D
It was definitely the pink ones Woot were selling, unless they also sold the violet one but I don't remember seeing tons of violet ones on eBay. I did see page after page of pink 706 4GB though :)

Correct, the 4GB version was never released here in the US

However, companies can always buy off the 'old stock' of another company at a reduced price and re-sell them in another market that never had them.

I remember last year, before the US got hold of the NW-A1200, geeks.com had the European/Hong Kong version of the NW-A1000 (6GB) on their site for sale.

So it wouldnt be that far of a stretch that JR.com got them not from sony, but from another distributor, and are reselling them

Someone else told me the same thing just yesterday. This make me wonder about the warranty. Will Sony suppport such a device? Who knows, but I am going to send it back to J and R becaue of possible warranty issues and the future lack of support for SS. IF SS is broken by a Microsoft update, then I would be out of luck, so i think i will get the new A818 instead.

Someone else told me the same thing just yesterday. This make me wonder about the warranty. Will Sony suppport such a device? Who knows, but I am going to send it back to J and R becaue of possible warranty issues and the future lack of support for SS. IF SS is broken by a Microsoft update, then I would be out of luck, so i think i will get the new A818 instead.

I don't see how the can refuse warranty support... it's a Sony product and I doubt they'd refuse warranty due to it being a 4GB version.

SS issues I can understand, and I was thinking about returning it and shelling out a bit more for a A818, but I dunno... I love the NW-S706FV features and functionality.

Edited by socom1

Yeah, this Walkman is really for audio/music without any unnecessary functions.

Plus, it has great design.

Yea, it really is a tough decision... I could return it and probably get a A815 or one of the new Insignia (Best Buy Brand) players; I had the previous NS-DV4GB and it was an awesome player for the buck ($70).

I don't see how the can refuse warranty support... it's a Sony product and I doubt they'd refuse warranty due to it being a 4GB version.

SS issues I can understand, and I was thinking about returning it and shelling out a bit more for a A818, but I dunno... I love the NW-S706FV features and functionality.

If is not a U.S. released unit, sony can easily refuse service. It is purely up to sony as they sometimes will cover international units and even Japanese units.

I ordered the new iPod touch today...and a few hours later cancelled the order. It is a good thing (for me) that they are not even shipping until the end of September! I love the unit's functionality, but the lack of HD for that price is pretty hard to swallow. Once again I have returned to Sony....just ordered an 8GB A818. :)

Edited by lamewing

If is not a U.S. released unit, sony can easily refuse service. It is purely up to sony as they sometimes will cover international units and even Japanese units.

I ordered the new iPod touch today...and a few hours later cancelled the order. It is a good thing (for me) that they are not even shipping until the end of September! I love the unit's functionality, but the lack of HD for that price is pretty hard to swallow. Once again I have returned to Sony....just ordered an 8GB A818. :)

Ahhh... perhaps. I'm in for a tough decision; rid of the awesome (dare I say 1337? :P) 706 or go with a 815 or some non-Sony player?

Well mine came today and I accepted it as I need a unit for the gym. It is NOT a U.S. model as we expected, in fact it is the European unit. Does this mean there is a volume limiter on it? Seems loud enough and supports kanji and kana with applocal. I am still worried about the warranty. I will ring Sony and find out the details on coverage.

Well mine came today and I accepted it as I need a unit for the gym. It is NOT a U.S. model as we expected, in fact it is the European unit. Does this mean there is a volume limiter on it? Seems loud enough and supports kanji and kana with applocal. I am still worried about the warranty. I will ring Sony and find out the details on coverage.

What did you receive? The A818 or the 706?

It was the 706f and it is going back. The control button is loose and wobbles when barely touched. I have played with demo models of the 7xx series at Akihabara and none showed this problem, so this one must be a dud.

I am back to deciding between the:

1. Sony NWZ-A818

2. Cowon D2

3. Apple iPod touch

The sony has great sound, but so does the cowon. I am a bit concerned with cowon's support history, but their units sound great and have the most features. The iTouch has many features I could use as a returning university student, especially the email and web capabilities. Too bad there is no bluetooth keyboard support right now as this would make a nice laptop replacement for note taking and such.

I will post what I get in the correct forum.

Edited by lamewing

Bump.

Alright, got confirmation about the warranty. Even though it is a foreign model, it is still under warranty, HOWEVER, the unit will have to be shipped to Sony Europe for labor/repair since Sony USA can't handle it (since it wasn't released here).

I don't know, I might return it... I might not. I really can't tear myself away from this player (small, headphones are awesome [noise cancel], SQ is superb, etc...)! But I don't want to wait a month to get it back when I need it to be repaired, or rely on SS, or get shafted when SS has been completely stomped dead.

Edited by socom1

Bump.

Alright, got confirmation about the warranty. Even though it is a foreign model, it is still under warranty, HOWEVER, the unit will have to be shipped to Sony Europe for labor/repair since Sony USA can't handle it (since it wasn't released here).

I don't know, I might return it... I might not. I really can't tear myself away from this player (small, headphones are awesome [noise cancel], SQ is superb, etc...)! But I don't want to wait a month to get it back when I need it to be repaired, or rely on SS, or get shafted when SS has been completely stomped dead.

...Windows 98 has been stomped dead for a while and my sister is currently writing her master thesis on such a machine. I am sure you will be able to use sonic stage for the remainder of battery charge cycles on your walkman device ;)

As far as warranty is concerned attach a printout of you confirmation and send the unit back to Europe (what about canada?).

Bump.

You can do what I did after I confirmed my worries about the warranty. Sent the thing back to J and R and instead bought a 2GB model at the local Frys for a little less than the 4GB model. I realize I am paying more per gigabyte, but the warranty is more important to me than the extra GB.

Bump.

Lamewing, when you got your J&R model, what was wrong with the construction quality? Was the knob a bit loose or what? Is the knob solidly in place with your unit you got from Fry's? If it's suppose to be solidly attached, I'll probably return it. Unfortunately, Fry's.com only sells the 1GB model, in pink, for $104. I might end up getting a A815 or something.

Edited by socom1

Bump.

Lamewing, when you got your J&R model, what was wrong with the construction quality? Was the knob a bit loose or what? Is the knob solidly in place with your unit you got from Fry's? If it's suppose to be solidly attached, I'll probably return it. Unfortunately, Fry's.com only sells the 1GB model, in pink, for $104. I might end up getting a A815 or something.

Yep, Fry's stock is pretty much sold off by now. I was lucky to find a 2GB unit...returned. There were some indigo units (2 or 3) at my store. All were 1GB and cost $79.00...strange when the pink 1GB model (both 703F) was $100.00.

The knob was about as loose as any other 7xx series unit. I think they are supposed to be loose. The problem was the control button was loose and slid about 1-2 mm up,down, right, left. Also the button made a fairly lould POP every 3rd or 4th time I pushed it.

All in all, the lack of U.S. warranty was the deal breaker. I either need a U.S. warranty or a Japanese warranty...friends in Japan.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Edited by lamewing

Yep, Fry's stock is pretty much sold off by now. I was lucky to find a 2GB unit...returned. There were some indigo units (2 or 3) at my store. All were 1GB and cost $79.00...strange when the pink 1GB model (both 703F) was $100.00.

The knob was about as loose as any other 7xx series unit. I think they are supposed to be loose. The problem was the control button was loose and slid about 1-2 mm up,down, right, left. Also the button made a fairly lould POP every 3rd or 4th time I pushed it.

All in all, the lack of U.S. warranty was the deal breaker. I either need a U.S. warranty or a Japanese warranty...friends in Japan.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Ah, controls as in the Vol +-, and Play/Stop buttons? Alright, thought you were talking about the knob/collar, because it is kind of loose (moves a bit up and down) and that worried me. I'll probably take a trip to the SonyStyle store around me and tinker with the new players, I'll then make a decision. Maybe I'll just keep it... it's under warranty, but Sony European warranty.