PSP vs. New Walkman devices

Rate this question

Jillako

Question

My fellow PSP owners,

With the new slimmer PSP close to release and price competitive with the just announced non-ATRAC Walkman devices, how many of you are planning to buy any of the new Walkman devices and what are your reasons?

As for myself, I find the SQ of the PSP pretty good. With the still available ATRAC support and drag and drop ability for MP3, WMA and AAC (I cannot imagine why Sony did not carry this approach forward to their Video Walkman devices), I find that the PSP Slim is superior to all other Walkman models available. The screen is unmatched for video and in addition to all of these features, you get Games, UMD Movies, Browser and RSS!! For only $170 US!! Yes, you will need to buy a 4GB Memory Stick Duo, which runs about $70. Still a great deal.

Along with the in-line remote control, I use the PSP while on a train or at work. I can see that active use (gym, etc.) would be a problem. That is where I use my NW-S205F. I bought a spare, just in case. :)

If my second NW-S205F fails, I might think about buying the new B series. However, I am skipping all the new models and saving for a PSP Slim! And the new video cable for the PSP :)

Chime in!

8 answers to this question

My fellow PSP owners,

With the new slimmer PSP close to release and price competitive with the just announced non-ATRAC Walkman devices, how many of you are planning to buy any of the new Walkman devices and what are your reasons?

As for myself, I find the SQ of the PSP pretty good. With the still available ATRAC support and drag and drop ability for MP3, WMA and AAC (I cannot imagine why Sony did not carry this approach forward to their Video Walkman devices), I find that the PSP Slim is superior to all other Walkman models available. The screen is unmatched for video and in addition to all of these features, you get Games, UMD Movies, Browser and RSS!! For only $170 US!! Yes, you will need to buy a 4GB Memory Stick Duo, which runs about $70. Still a great deal.

Along with the in-line remote control, I use the PSP while on a train or at work. I can see that active use (gym, etc.) would be a problem. That is where I use my NW-S205F. I bought a spare, just in case. :)

If my second NW-S205F fails, I might think about buying the new B series. However, I am skipping all the new models and saving for a PSP Slim! And the new video cable for the PSP :)

Chime in!

I have been thinking the same thing yesterday Jillako. What I might do is buy my wife the pink 2gb A818, and if I like it I'll pick up a black 8 gig. But for now, I'll stick with the PSP. Your right, there is so much this thing does, except make phone calls, and I dont care about that. Why would I want to be bothered by a phone call while I'm in the middle of a game or movie?!

Besides the PS3 2 PSP connectivity, I use every feature on the PSP. Wifi, RSS, internet and all you can do with it, music, in which it still supports ATRAC, photos, game demos and UMDs.

For a $170 US dollars, you can't find a better device that covers all these bases, so I agree with your thinking. Plus they added video out and smaller features like 28 background colors in all for the wallpaper including the 1 custom setting.

One thing, I'm waiting for though in the next update, and that is continuous playback of video clips. I'm a MST3K fan, and it would be nice to watch all ten clips from Youtube without having to start each individual one up.

I'm using a 2gig memory stick now, but when 8gig cards come down cheap enough, which should be happening soon, Ill pick one of those up. In the case of getting a new Walkman, I guess for me is what is more for my money. Somehow I feel like if I get a A818, it is sorta like overkill. If the new Walkmans had speakers, I dont care how how tinny they would sound, I would probably get one. I don't always like to use headphones, especially when I go to sleep. And that brings me to my last point. If I can't sleep and need a good movie to fall asleep to, I used to turn on the DVD player and TV and try to sleep. Now all I do is start a movie on the PSP, turn the screen off, and listen to it from its speakers. I've probably saved a fortune in electric bills my not running my TV/DVD players all night. :lol:

Edited by Bazooka

Yeah... I've got a PSP (3.52M33) and NW-A608. Both complement each other perfectly in my case.

the nwa for music with it's ultra long battery life I think that's the best thing that I did :-)

and I use the psp for videos(serials, movies etc.) and maybe some gaming. (Well, I do have a phone (K750i), so I can use its MSPD also... like take photos using it and view it on the PSP etc.)

Actually to be frank, I really don't like the PSP SQ as compared to my a608... same atrac3plus 64kbps the a608 feels "warmer"...

I guess i'll just pass the newer generation of walkmans

Even the slim PSP would be a tight fit in my pocket, the battery life is lacking, and I'm not interested in portable gaming.

Now if Sony released a new Mylo that had the same features as my Nokia N800 internet tablet, I'd probably buy it, but it still wouldn't replace my A818 because of the form factor and battery life.

I had a PSP but the games were so few and the quality so bad I sold it and used the € to buy an A806 to replace my E405 lol Can't play games like in PSP (but actually I rarely played at all, it was just sitting there..) but now I have more space for music and I keep watching video :P I just wished my walkman had the music visualisations like winamp that PSP has :(