DVD Video onto A80x

Rate this question

joshwaa

Question

Although the A808 was designed to display short video clips, I bought it in the hope that I could use it to watch DVDs on my morning commute to work.

So far, I have struggled to get any DVDs into a compatible format. I have been using Handbrake to save it as the correct format but after transferring to the A808, I encounter the error message: "This file format is not supported".

The closest I have come is using XMPEG to convert to MPEG1 before converting using Image Converter 3 but for some reason, the film is always stopped short in Image Converter 3 despite the MPEG1 file being the entire DVD movie.

More recently, I have used the "AVS Video to Go" trial to see if this would produce a better output but I am getting the same message on my A808.

If anyone could give me some help on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Josh

The reviews I have read about Sony Media Manager give the impression that it will eventually do the job but not very well. The other thing which is putting me off is that a lack of a demo download means I can't test the output - I'm not sure if my error is a fault with my computer, or the software I am using.

Have you managed to get DVD video onto you A80x device?

I use Imtoo DVD to MP4-converter and it works really fine for me. You could choose between many profiles like PSP/Ipod video and so on. I chose to make one my own (320x240, 768kbit, 29.97 frames/second and for the Audiop a bit rate of 192 (I ripped a music DVD and I wanted the sound to be good). It's easy to use and the quality is really fine :)

I have tried handbrake already. All the software I have used outputs mp4 files which play fine on my computer but after transferring to my A808 display the error message: "Cannot play; file format is not supported".

Does anyone have any ideas if this is an error with my device? Or encoding process? Or something wrong with my computer?

I have tried handbrake already. All the software I have used outputs mp4 files which play fine on my computer but after transferring to my A808 display the error message: "Cannot play; file format is not supported".

Does anyone have any ideas if this is an error with my device? Or encoding process? Or something wrong with my computer?

It seems the player is pretty finkle about the video formats. I tried out PSP Video 9 and it didn't seem to work. Another member had suggested a program called WinMenc (http://winmenc.blogspot.com/ ) I tried the one for iPod MP4-AVC, and it seemed to be within specs in the manual, but I got a file that was unplayable also.

The only thing that I've tried that's worked so far was AVS Media's VideoTools (http://www.avsmedia.com/VideoTools/index.aspx). That exported a .M4V file, but it worked.

The only downside to this program is that it isn't free, and the demo has a big watermark in the middle of the screen that comes in and out of playback every few seconds. For the fullware it is $40, but I read reviews and they said that the licensing is kind of quirky, which has made of stand-offish about buying this software.

Does anybody else have any software of choice that they use to convert videos/DVDs to a playable file for the NW-A8xx/NWZ-A8xx series? Can you also put the output profile for us too so we know which to use for the encoding? Thanks a million! :)

OK, this might be a roundabout way of doing things, but it works for me.

I use DVDshrink 3.2 to rip and compress the dvd - its claimed to be used for backing up your dvd collection (ahem) and it has dealt with all encoding so far. Using this application you can do away with any superfluous information on the disc eg foreign languages, subtitles, trailers, intro screens etc. You can also "re-author" - this effectively means you can select a segment of video from a certain point (frame) to another.

Then I use handbrake to convert the output files from DVD shrink.

On handbrake I select the output file to H.264 (i-pod) and set the screen resolution to 320x240. On a long video I may reduce the frame rate on the video settings, but most other stuff I leave as default.

With these settings I get a file size of about 700mb for a two hour movie. The image converter software bundled with the walkman accepts this file and will reduce the file size further - about 450mb.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I'm jealous that you are all able to get DVDs onto your players.

I tried the Handbrake technique but am still unsuccessful. I am starting to think that it is my computer at fault. Is there some way I can completely uninstall all of the codecs on my computer and then re-install the software? Or are there other steps I can take to get DVDs onto my A808?

Josh

I have tried all the techniques helpfully suggested to me so far but the output is always the same: An mp4 file is created but I cannot play this on the player because "The File Format is not supported".

If someone has managed to put a DVD onto their A80x would it be possible to describe the codec(s) they used so that I can try installing it onto my computer?

Thanks

Josh

Help! :(

I've since Re-formatted my disk, re-installed Windows just to make sure it wasn't a codec problem and I am still having the same problem of the "file format not supported" regardless of how I produce the mp4 (via Xilisoft, PSP Video 9 or Handbrake).

Does anyone have any suggestions please before I give up and return my A808 (the only reason I got it was so I could watch some of my DVDs on the commute in to work).

Thank you!

Josh

Just a quick note of interest: Although the mp4 video fails to play on my device, the playing time displayed is the correct one.

Not that I advocate this but have you tried Sony tech support for this? Also have you tried installing the image converter on another computer and transferring?

I can't tell whether it's a fault with my player or not ... the mpg files I convert via Image Converter 3 are fine.

Sony Support basically told me that if it can't be converted by Image Converter 3, then they can't give me support. He suggested that although my files were being converted into the mp4 format, it may not be an mp4 format supported by Sony.

Could this be the case even though I have tried using the same converters as you guys?

Thanks

Josh

I am using the xilisoft pro version to convert videos, DVD or any file to mp4.

I just select to convert to iPod 30 o iPod 60 and that's it.

I'm able to change the config as the sample rate for the audio and the convert.

Try it!...

oh! I forgot to tell that I have the video decoders to play the videos in my pc and to convert them with the Image Converter. I think this files are necessary to successfully convert the files and play them with the player.

cc@mp0s.cl

Edited by cc@mp0s.cl

I've got one of my 2 808's with me at work and it's got a couple of dvd's on it - i'm trying to remember exactly what I did ?!! Probably used DVDDecrypter ( but PocketDivxEncoder is a possibility) - I also use SUPER to re-encode or change formats/bitrates etc etc Then it's the Sony Image Convertor software to load onto the 808.

(Sorry that's all a bit vague...........i've got a Creative Zev Vision and an Archos604 too - and my computer at home is awash with different versions of videos/music plus all manner of converting software etc )

All I can say is ................ it might be a bit messy/complicated ................BUT you can get dvd's onto these splendid little players!!!!!

I'm using Imtoo Dvd to mp4 converter and it is registered. The problem is when it finishes converting the entire movie the resulting file only has half of it. Why is that? I tried with another title ( also the entire movie) And happened the same thing.. Can't get this to work :S

In the config there's nothing about a max size and in the split menu it's selected "infinite". I really don't understand why this is happening because when it's converting it goes beyond the 50%.. When it finishes the size of the file drops to about 300MB and only has half of the movie. I'll try spliting into two 300MB parts

Well it did split into 2 parts but while one is 300MB the other is only 32 MB (the missing part until half of the movie... again..) I think I'll try another program :\ I already tried handbreak but it doesn't work with original DVDs because of the anti-copy protections :(

Edited by GusG

That's the profile I was using too. The version of the program was the latest one (v.4.0.80-something) Now I tried with a previous one (V.4.0.43) and all went well lol It converted the whole movie and the size of the file is 751MB (not the 350MB) How can someone understand this loool Oh well I'll just use the early version. Has a third of the number of profiles but the ipod (30) is there so I don't need any other. Many thanks for the help cc@mp0s.cl!! Really apreciate it!

Great success!!

I'm not quiet sure how I did it (i.e. which steps made it work) but here's what I did:

1) I installed the K-lite codec pack

2) I installed DivX codec

3) I encoded using the "mpeg 4" encoder in Handbrake. <= I'm not sure if I've tried this before. I think I always used H264 encoders.

Now I'm not sure if installing the codec packs affected the encoding process in Handbrake at all. Image Converter still fails to recognise the file type of the video but if you use Windows Explorer to drag and drop into the Video folder, it plays like a dream =D

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

I've been having the same problem with Handbrake, I've used the H.264 Baseline 1.3 and the H.264 (ipod) setting and neither worked.

Image converter told me that they weren't supported and manually putting them into the Walkman Video folder didn't work either, the player refused to play them.

I will install the K-Lite and DivX codecs (although I'm not sure what this means?) and see if it works, I've noticed with the K-Lite one that there are different versions, basic, standard and full, any idea if just the standard one includes what I need? Also, is the DivX codec a free download I wasn't sure looking at the site?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just noticed a basic K-Lite codec also.

Edited by technophobe_gal