DVD Video onto A80x

Rate this question

joshwaa

Question

Although the A808 was designed to display short video clips, I bought it in the hope that I could use it to watch DVDs on my morning commute to work.

So far, I have struggled to get any DVDs into a compatible format. I have been using Handbrake to save it as the correct format but after transferring to the A808, I encounter the error message: "This file format is not supported".

The closest I have come is using XMPEG to convert to MPEG1 before converting using Image Converter 3 but for some reason, the film is always stopped short in Image Converter 3 despite the MPEG1 file being the entire DVD movie.

More recently, I have used the "AVS Video to Go" trial to see if this would produce a better output but I am getting the same message on my A808.

If anyone could give me some help on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Josh

Yay, I've finally got a DVD onto my A805!

I've been trying for days!

I didn't download anything else, I used Handbrake and the MPEG-4 setting instead of H.264, I specified a maximum 500MB file and 25 frames per second.

The film is just over 1 and a half hours long, it's really good quality so I'm now seeing how small I get can the file before the quality decreases.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Just to let you know, after a bit of testing, the settings I am now using for Handbrake are 244kbps and 25 frames a second, that got the hour and a half film I was testing the settings on down to 248.9MB, the quality looks good to my eyes on the A80* screen, and I have good eyesight!

I find that the screen is a good size for 4:3 viewing, but maybe a little small for widesreen with the black bars at the top and bottom. I'll probably get some stick for this, but I'm a big fan of 'Friends' and have put a few of the episodes from the first series on, they look great as they are natively 4:3 so fill the screen! I can see me never being bored on a bus or train journey again! :lol:

is that an expression? a slang?

I can not understand...

(if this take long to explain, just say yes... I will understand...)

It means you may get something more or less out of it. Your experience might be different. It refers to gas mileage in cars in which different drivers might experience better or worse mileage depending on the way they drive their car, the type of car, etc.

Hi All,

First time post in this forum, and a new Sony Walkman NW-A808 owner. I've had the player for about a week now and in general I'm impressed with the player, styling, design, functionality, menus, ease of use, sound quality all excellent, but my god what an almighty pain in the arse it is trying to get video transfered onto the player. I have been trying off and on for several days now. reading the instruction manual that came with the player (very skinny!) and also the PDF manual, which I have to say are not a lot of help.

After doing a bit of googleing I now realise that I'm not alone in this observation. The player came with Sonic Stage and included Image converter version 3.0. If you hover the mouse over the video icon on the walkman launcher you get the message 'Start software to convert videos on the computer to a format that is compatable with your ''Walkman'' and transfer them your ''Walkman.'' After opening the software you are greated with the user interface of image converter 3. Clicking on the add to list opens another box which allows you to select the video source/destination. At the bottom of this box is a drop down menue that displays;

All Video

AVI (*.avi.)

Recorded TV by Media Center (*.dvr-ms)

MPEG (*.mpg,*.mpeg,*.mp4)

Quicktime

Windows Media File (*.wmv)

After messing about for some time I discoverd that I was not able to transfer DVD movies MPEG-2 with the software (obviously not coverd by the all video option) This was also confirmed after again tralling the internet untill I found the web site for Sony Europe Customer Support. MPEG-2 can not be converted. OK no problem I will use Nero recode to convert it to a format it will recognise MPEG-4. I have done this and also put the files in Memory Stick video format (which I am told are the only files guaranteed to be compatable) and resized it to 320x240 pixels. I now have an MP4 file with supposedly all of the right atributies. I click on the add to list button and I get the message 'This file format is not supported.' Bollocks! What have I done wrong..well nothing that seems obvious to me. Scrach head, try again..same message, This should work, I have done the lions share of the work and this little pice of shit software can't be arsed to get of it's lazy arse and do the bare minimum of converting said video file. After quite a few attempts I decided that Nero Recode for what ever reason simply wasn't going to work with the Image Converter software, so i tried a different video converter, this time Prism, which I downloaded of the net.

It was recomended by someone who was having similar problems of getting video on to there player. I tried converting first to MPEG-4 with the appropriate settings, no luck..'This file format is not supported' I then tried using a different file type, this time AVI. again the same message keeps popping up when I try and convert the file and transfer it to the player.

To Say that I am now a little pissed of with the whole business would be a little understated. Why Have Sony done this. I have seen many frustrated comments on the internet from people that are relatively computer savvy and are really strurgling with this. If you were a realitve novice with computers you wouldn't have a cat in hells chance.

The Sony Image Converter software is supposed to convert videos on your computer to a format that is compatable with your walkman. That's what it says on the tin, ladies and gentlemen...quite frankly I don't believe them.

Finaly does anyone know of a diffinative way of guaranting succesful video transfer to the Walkman..I'm starting to lose the will to live.

Finaly does anyone know of a diffinative way of guaranting succesful video transfer to the Walkman..I'm starting to lose the will to live.

I'm so glad you posted this message (not that you're having trouble but that you reminded me to also ask for help!). My problem relates more conversion (I have an A-806). I can get files transferred to the device but it takes a ridiculous number of steps and time.

The first thing I noticed was that most of the videos I wanted to use on my player were not in a format the Image Converter would recognize. I was interested in viewing videos that had been embedded in web sites (eg. YouTube) or presentations (things like the TED talks, although these you can also download). When embedded these files are usually in flash (.flv). To grab them I’ve been using a product called Replay Media Catcher. This works fine.

Then I found this software, AVS Media. It comes with three applications (AVS Video Converter, AVS DVD to go and AVS Capture Video (for web cams)). AVS DVD to go converts DVD movies (this part works fine, BTW).

The AVS Video Converter will handle flash (.flv) and will output in many options (.avi, .mp4, .mpg, .mov, .wmv). The .mp4 offers a format tailored for the PSP so I picked that since this is also a Sony device. But even after that Image Converter still insists on converting it again! In fact there are some situations in which files of the same format require conversion by Image Converter and others do not!

Because this is done in real time (the video plays while it is converting) it can take hours (one hour for Replay Media Catcher to record it from the web site, another for AVS Video conversion tool to just to convert and how ever long Image Converter takes to convert before I can see it on my player). It is hardly worth the effort.

Then there are the videos that I buy through iTunes. Of course they are DMR. Since I paid for it I think I should be able to view it on whichever device I want. So I had to get another application, Tunebyte to convert those. I didn't install the codecs for mpeg 4 so the only other option is WMV, which of course Image Converter has to convert.

If anyone is also doing this type of thing but has figured out how to do it with fewer steps please share. Also if anyone is using AVS Video Converter with a format/output option that does not require conversion with Image Converter I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

LuLu

Simple and fast.

1. Use DVD Decrypter to rip the dvd files to .vob files.

2. Use Videora iPod Converter to convert the .vob files to iPod 320x240 files - Gen 5 iPod.

I use the simplified method and it always works for me. The basic default file for the iPod will work on the A818 player.

I wasted $13.00 on the Media Manager upgrade to convert videos. DON'T waste your money. Use the above and you are good to go.

Edited by lamewing

Simple and fast.

1. Use DVD Decrypter to rip the dvd files to .vob files.

2. Use Videora iPod Converter to convert the .vob files to iPod 320x240 files - Gen 5 iPod.

I use the simplified method and it always works for me. The basic default file for the iPod will work on the A818 player.

I wasted $13.00 on the Media Manager upgrade to convert videos. DON'T waste your money. Use the above and you are good to go.

Thanks for the tips, just convert and import some videos onto my A808.

I agree, SIMPLE and FAST.