Sony WILL Release WMP update for older Walkmans!

Rate this question

veggiemusician

Question

After calling Sony UK last week - they called me back today to comfirm that my walkman (A805) will be compatible with Windows Media Player and Napster soon. Sony will be relasing a "Compatabiltiy Update" for older walkmans so they can use WMP, Napster and other online music downloading sites. They shall be making a press statement soon.

Im not to sure when "soon" is but its before Connect store closes in March 2008 is how sony worded it.

Its good news neither the less :)

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

After calling Sony UK last week - they called me back today to comfirm that my walkman (A805) will be compatible with Windows Media Player and Napster soon. Sony will be relasing a "Compatabiltiy Update" for older walkmans so they can use WMP, Napster and other online music downloading sites. They shall be making a press statement soon.

Im not to sure when "soon" is but its before Connect store closes in March 2008 is how sony worded it.

Its good news neither the less :)

Yep. I just got a phone call in response to an email I sent last week informing me that there will be a firmware upgrade for the A800 series to allow it to be used with WMP11 and other softwares in the "near future".

This has got to be excellent news!! And a big thanks to all those who emailed, phoned or just generally posted re this ( in what seems like many different threads and forums!!)

I'm wondering just what exactly is meant though!? A firmware update to make our older 800's behave fully like the 810's is one thing. But making wmp11 recognise the 800 is not quite the same ?? (Havent quite thought all this through yet !!! But new firmware to make both my 808's pure drag and drop/recognised as external hard drive would be heaven!!)

That is terrific news although it is not quite clear to what extent compatibility will be achieved. In any event it sounds very promising and it might just be that Sony caved in to consumer demand

as so many people rang them up. Initially, the response I received was negative so my dumping of the 808 may prove hasty. :clover:

WOO HOO! Result........... :D :D :D

YES! If it's true they (to quote ceres) 'caved' into consumer demand - then I guess it shows as a group, we can actually make a difference. However, if they were planning to release the update anyway, and hadn't got round to telling us. . . still, the end result is what we wanted. Even though I have no plans (as yet) to update, it's nice to know I have the option. Also, if someone were to flout their 'new' 818 in front of me. . . I could flout right back :lol:

That is terrific news although it is not quite clear to what extent compatibility will be achieved. In any event it sounds very promising and it might just be that Sony caved in to consumer demand

as so many people rang them up. Initially, the response I received was negative so my dumping of the 808 may prove hasty. :clover:

ditto :blink:

I hope this will be for the A3000 also....Now lads lets get on to Sony about Gapless playback with either AAC and MP3 or Both.... :lol:

I think that might be pushing it a little. I reckon the update will be for the A80* series only as it is practically the same as the NWZ-81* series in every way apart from firmware. They might stretch to the NW-s70* because they are still under warranty...........................SONY may feel committed to these customers.

Those are my worries exactly. I hope they also remember the S700 series.

NO SUCH LUCK. The same announcement states that the 8xx series will get an update, but that the older models (including the 7xx) won't. They press release DID STATE that they are planning on continuing to keep Sonic Stage up to date for those who need SSCP. It seems to say they won't develop it any further, but will keep it current with windows updates. Good enough for me.

I am very excited about the A8xx being updated. Now I can get that cool indigo colored one and upgrade the firmware on it for drag and drop. I tried the 6xx model and while it acts exactly like the 8xx models, it just doesn't look as nice and is a bit too small for me.

if s7xx does not get a firmware update,

1. Is it possible to sue sony ? considering the fact that s7xx is still sold by sony in "sony overseas japan"
  2. I will NEVER buy anything sony.
  3. May start a forum/Webpage to explain this to the rest of the world. engadget and gizmodo wud probably take care of popularizing that

Sony shd better understand this popular mk.gandhi's quote

"A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so."

else perish forever

Thank you for a great news

I wonder when they will release the firmwares...

I don't think sony will update s700 or a1000...or they should

We bought them knowing that they do not support drag and drop or wmp 11..

Also they are sold out in most of the places..

It's good if they do, but they are out of date..

Sony never promised to update them when they were out, and they clearly said that they only support SS.

if s7xx does not get a firmware update,
  1. Is it possible to sue sony ? considering the fact that s7xx is still sold by sony in "sony overseas japan"
  2. I will NEVER buy anything sony.
  3. May start a forum/Webpage to explain this to the rest of the world. engadget and gizmodo wud probably take care of popularizing that
Sony shd better understand this popular mk.gandhi's quote

"A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so."

else perish forever

TheFanboy...not need to be so worried.

The 7xx series doesn't need an update as Sony clearly stated on their European website that SS CP will continue to be updated so that models just previous to the 8xx series will stay operational.

Here is the link...

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.act...;site=odw_en_GB

I quote:

"If you currently own a WALKMAN® everything will remain exactly the same. So you can still enjoy unbelievable sound quality, long battery life and great looks.

And you’ll continue to use the SonicStage digital music management platform to organise audio tracks and synchronise your music player.

SonicStage will still be updated so you can always keep your WALKMAN® up to date. And buying music from the Sony Connect Music Store will still be possible until at least March 2008."

Edited by lamewing

If you currently own a WALKMAN® everything will remain exactly the same. So you can still enjoy unbelievable sound quality, long battery life and great looks.

And you’ll continue to use the SonicStage digital music management platform to organise audio tracks and synchronise your music player.

On the Sony article doesnt the above paragraph mean that we are stuck with Sonicstage - hope I am wrong and we get the software patch - screenshots look very good,

Fingers crossed,

I know there's other threads relating to this topic - but thought I'd bring this back up to the top (!).

There seem to me to be more and more "responses from local Sony reps" being mentioned which either state "no firmware update" or at least denying any knowledge. I wrote to UK Sony support asking for clarification about a week ago - still not received any reply.

Wondered what latest thoughts were from the people who said had a definite "yes" from Sony?? I'm getting worried that the longer this drags out Sony will just let the 800 "wither on the vine" and say if you want drag and drop then get an810 !?

Having said that I wandered down Tottenham Ct Rd in London today - lots of 800's for sale (£30 cheaper than I paid only 2 months ago! )- wonder if many Joe Publics think they are getting a drag and drop "Ipod killer"!!?? I cant believe that there would be many who bought an 800 series who would ditch it after a matter of weeks/months to get an810? Surely Sony would lose those early adopter fans (like me!!) if they didnt provide the same functionality for 800's ???

Someone reassure me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know there's other threads relating to this topic - but thought I'd bring this back up to the top (!).

There seem to me to be more and more "responses from local Sony reps" being mentioned which either state "no firmware update" or at least denying any knowledge. I wrote to UK Sony support asking for clarification about a week ago - still not received any reply.

Wondered what latest thoughts were from the people who said had a definite "yes" from Sony?? I'm getting worried that the longer this drags out Sony will just let the 800 "wither on the vine" and say if you want drag and drop then get an810 !?

Having said that I wandered down Tottenham Ct Rd in London today - lots of 800's for sale (£30 cheaper than I paid only 2 months ago! )- wonder if many Joe Publics think they are getting a drag and drop "Ipod killer"!!?? I cant believe that there would be many who bought an 800 series who would ditch it after a matter of weeks/months to get an810? Surely Sony would lose those early adopter fans (like me!!) if they didnt provide the same functionality for 800's ???

Someone reassure me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey,

I got a phone call following an email assuring me of a firmware update. Its unlikely sony would go out of their way for something like that unless there was truth in it so just relax and give it some time until the new player's release is a distant memory :)

Hey,

I got a phone call following an email assuring me of a firmware update. Its unlikely sony would go out of their way for something like that unless there was truth in it so just relax and give it some time until the new player's release is a distant memory :)

I got a negative answer today.

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

I am pleased to learn that you are the owner of a Sony NW-A808 Video Walkman.

Sony will not be releasing a firmware upgrade to add the drag and drop of music tracks from your computer to the player.

In order to transfer music files to your NW-A808 you should continue to use the SonicStage software supplied with the product.

I apologise for any disappointment that this may cause.

I dont understand very well that logic. If they wanted a new player they wouldn't use the carcass of an old player... only diference is the firmware. I bet inside it's exactly the same lol It doens't even have radio just like the "old" one... And how does the "someone" knows if even the Sony representatives don't? (some say yes others say no lol)

Edited by GusG

I dont understand very well that logic. If they wanted a new player they wouldn't use the carcass of an old player... only diference is the firmware. I bet inside it's exactly the same lol It doens't even have radio just like the "old" one... And how does the "someone" knows if even the Sony representatives don't? (some say yes others say no lol)

old case, but new chips inside.

I'm still positive there will be a firmware update after the phone call I received from Sony. I too got a negative response via email to one of my enquiries but I was assured of an update over the phone. Maybe its time we just wait and see! What's pretty obvious is this firmware update isn't a priority of sony...

Let's just wait and see. Don't bring bad fluids lol We hhave to keep our faiths alive!! Alas I love my walkman and even without a firmware update it will have the same usage has if it had one! =)

I'll second that. The important thing is that they are continuing their support for the atrac walkmans.

Ok friends. I've calmed down a little bit now !!!! Although it's still not certain whether there will or wont be a firmware upgrade ................. you've reminded me that the 800 series is still a great little player!! If there hadnt been any 810 at all I'd have been perfectly happy to carry on as I started - I think the Atrac codec is excellent ( in terms of a decent quality at comparative lower bitrates - I've no particular problems with Sonic Stage ( ok - would rather have full drag &drop - but i've been using the various versions of SS for years with minidiscs/hd series etc - it's much better than it was!!) So what was all the panic about??? I guess it was that nagging "consumer been had" feeling ............bought something only weeks ago - but now same/better thing out and cheaper too!!

Thanks to all who replied to my rant!! Guess wait and see is all we can do!

So what was all the panic about??? I guess it was that nagging "consumer been had" feeling ............bought something only weeks ago - but now same/better thing out and cheaper too!!

That's very funny as I had also been whining about it, until I realised I don't even need a firmware upgrade, I just 'wanted' it to make sure my player was 'new' like the others! There's absolutely no reason at all for me to need anything other than what I already have, and I love my 808 to bits, with/without drag and drop.