Sony S71x

Rate this question

pata2001

Question

Well, when Sony released S61x and A81x in the US, it looks like things are going for the better, yet here we go again, Japan gets the better stuff. S71x is S61x with noise cancelling + noise cancelling earbud. Even better, the S71x supports HE-AAC!

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/walkman/product...amp;KM=NW-S718F

Yup, US got jibbed again and again, and people wonder why Sony is loosing marketshare.

Edit: IMO this is not funny anymore. I got tired of Sony during the PCDPs and MD era, where Sony always release the good stuff in Japan (more color variations, more units, player only units, kanji remote, etc), but neutered everything in the US (1 color unit, no kanji remote, no LCD remote, etc). And now this? Japan got Noise cancelling and HE-AAC, US got play-for-sure? To give Apple credit, they release the same iPods anywhere, even Japan is going to get the iPod Touch. I guess Sony USA is just, well, dumb.

By the way, shouldn't this make into the frontpage? Even engadget caught the price drop on A81x and S61x in the US. Will Atraclife ever be updated outside PSP news?

30 answers to this question

Also, if you look below, the new s71x can connect to an MD unit via a propriety connector also, pretty cool.

Looks like it's just a line-in WM-port adapter, connected to the EH50's headphone out. That does mean the S71x can record.

also seems to be the first device that comes with media manager for walkman. other than that it is still a sonic stage device w/o ums?? i guess we will have a review soon from one of our japanese members.

i wonder though, the inclusion af he-aac and noise cancelling should provide for a more powerful cpu, no?

sony certainly gives Asia region more choices and attention as what we have seen during this year and the past. you can tell just by the investment amount and their long term plans. Great NC player, but i do like the NWZ-A and S player as well. They also mentioned about MDR-EX90SL with the NW-S610 and S710, does it mean these two players come with MDR-EX90SL? it's all in japanese, can somebody confirm it? also the NC on and off switch of NW-S710 is well designed

Edited by antiipod

Can anyone tell me how the Sony A series is in fact more ADVANCED than the S Series?

I see noice cancelling, fm, video, great stock buds, 8 gig, he-aac (so the time for 128 kilo audio may have actually come) in the S package for Japan.

I am glad to have sold my A 808 only with a small loss because I am hoping right now that Sony will incorporate that great feature pack in a 16 gig 299-329 A series player.

If not I don´t think I will buy another dap to accompany my gym player (s706) any time soon.

Has Sony gone completely mad now?

sony certainly gives Asia region more choices and attention as what we have seen during this year and the past. you can tell just by the investment amount and their long term plans. Great NC player, but i do like the NWZ-A and S player as well. They also mentioned about MDR-EX90SL with the NW-S610 and S710, does it mean these two players come with MDR-EX90SL? it's all in japanese, can somebody confirm it? also the NC on and off switch of NW-S710 is well designed

Sony has always given Japan more choices that other markets. Sony is a Japanese company and like other companies releases more products to their home country than others. I would agree that it is to Sony's advantage to release more of their technology to other countries (especially America and Europe).

The new NW-S710 series comes with a proprietary headphones that include microphone on them. The headphone include the same 13.5 mm drive unit as with the MDR-EX90SL headphone.

The unit has an off-on switch for the NC on the top of the unit, to the right of the headphone jack.

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/audio/walkman/p...amp;KM=NW-S718F

that's definitely the practice of sony and other companies dude, the point is that they need to do more for us and europe regions. for example some of other Asia countries such as china, hongkong, taiwan and korean get looked after pretty well by sony. The shift is dramatic during last few years of their focus point for their market, as what we have heard from their press news, they do plans here and there in Asia countries beside of japan. NW-S71x is just too good, i certainly don't mind another NC sony player get released into europe and us regions.

Should, Sony have released the NW-S710 series to the European and American market? Sony Europe and Sony America may still release the NWZ-S710, but those living in those regions will have to wait. The Japanese get very well taken care of by Sony. Relating to Hong Kong and Korean those are very competitive markets with very demanding customers. Something Sony is used to with the Japanese market. Sony got trounced by Apple in both Europe and America, thus it can be suspected that they are reconsidering those markets. Hey, Sony still manufacturers MD and other technologies for the Japanese market. Yes, these products seem to still sell in Hong Kong, Korean, and Taiwan.

About China, it is an opening market and Sony most likely does not want to happen them in China, what happened in America.

I hope that Sony does release the NWZ-S710 in other markets. I was a little disappointed when the NWZ-S610 and NWZ-A810 were announce with neither supporting Noise Cancellation.

Anyways, I agree with you.

I seriously wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the noise cancelling feature if it really improves audio quality.

So far, I'm still hesitating which of the new Sony DAPs to buy or should I just keep waiting... So tempting to buy one right now haha...

I seriously wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the noise cancelling feature if it really improves audio quality.

So far, I'm still hesitating which of the new Sony DAPs to buy or should I just keep waiting... So tempting to buy one right now haha...

Because noise cancelling is an extra layer of audio processing, it usually degrades audio quality. If it's the difference between you hearing your music or not, then obviously it's beneficial, but some good in-ear headphones (Shure, Sony's higher end models) are probably a better solution unless you fly a lot.

-Nav

Good. Now if I ever want to replace my network walkman I can just get one imported and continue to use SS/ATRAC.

ATRAC LIVES

That is assuming Sony will release any updates to Sonicstage internationally, or better start learning Japanese.

The real question is if you will be able to authorize new devces after the connec store closes. Also what will happen if you get a new computer?

There's always the Asia-Pacific version of current SS, so no worries for those that don't have any tracks purchased from Connect. We'll see what happen in the future.

The Japanese versions appear to not be drag and drop however. They are still locked down as far as I can tell. It appears only the European and North American versions will allow use with Explorer/ Windows media player.

Yeah, that seems correct. All the newest models in Japan still support the ATRAC format. I think they only killed it off in the parts of the world where it was connected to the CONNECT music store (ie. North America and Europe). Japan has Mora.jp , and that's still live and well. I'm wondering how it is in other parts of the world that have Walkmans but no connect store.. will they get the non-ATRAC models too?

I'm wondering how it is in other parts of the world that have Walkmans but no connect store.. will they get the non-ATRAC models too?

Hong Kong has no connect store and the B-series are available here, and NWZ-610 will soon be. Not sure about the S-71x atrac series.

i wonder if this new sony mp3

support atrac too even when they say no more SS

If the model is NWZ then it does not support ATRAC. If the model is NW then it supports ATRAC. It is that simple.

Sony will continue to support ATRAC is Japan and maybe some other regions.

It is more of the media and blogs that stipulated that SonicStage was dead and not Sony.

Only in those regions that Sony announced that drog-and-drop will replace SonicStage will ATRAC was no long be supported. ATRAC need SonicStage and is still used with audio equipment that uses MiniDisc techology.

The model being discussed is the NW-S710 series and the NWZ-S710 series has not been announced. The NW-S710 and NW-S610 will be released only in Japan. I am unaware of other regions.

Regions getting the new NWZ Network Walkman Zero series also include Australia.