Sony NW-MS70D

Rate this question

DrSiddons

Question

3 answers to this question

The NW-MS470D is an old-school player, it can only use the original Memory Stick Duo that came in 64MB and 128MB (blue/purple colour). The Memory Stick Duo Pro cards will not work. It has 256MB of internal memory.

It also will only play files in ATRAC3plus, so SonicStage will convert MP3 etc before transfer. It was the first device to support ATRAC3plus, AFAIK. Originally around $400, it was released at around the same time as the first iPod.

You can find the Memory Stick through a Sony store, they still carry them. I'd avoid buying Memory Sticks on eBay, they are usually fakes (which don't have working openMG which the player relies on).

If you are patient you can get an MS70D on eBay for $50US-$90US, I've seen them at these prices on occasion. $50 for used with wear, $90 for "new", likely refurb. Sometimes a member here offers one in the classifieds too.

The memory stick at the Sony Store here in Canada are $34.99CAN (128mb), presumably cheaper in USA.

Unless you are into MS70D for nostalgia you might want to get a newer player: bigger capacity, probably better sound, only a tiny amount more expensive hehe.

A used one might have cosmetic flaws: the lettering might be faded, the MS latch door might be loose, the Hold switch might be loose, and the body might be possibly dirty. I got mine on eBay and that's how it was, but I fixed all that (well, not the lettering).