Anyone else think that the S610 series are underated?

Rate this question

bryue

Question

It appears that most people, if not everyone, here are crazy over the S810 series, which leaves its sibling, the S610, in the shadows. So what makes the A810 so popular?

Is the form factor that important?

Edited by bryue

35 answers to this question

It appears that most people, if not everyone, here are crazy over the S810 series, which leaves its sibling, the S610, in the shadows. So what makes the A810 so popular?

Is the form factor that important?

Possibly. I suspect the internals would be very similar, if not identical so they should sound the same (the S610 also has the advantage of a FM tuner). The extra $$$ for the A810 would be for the metal case and better quality headphones.

Remember that both units are intended to be thrown away when the battery dies!

Most people have been waiting for the NW-A800 series to arrive in America. Additionally, many wanted native drag-and-drop. This is what the NWZ-A810 delivers.

Board members have been comparing the NWZ-A810 series to the NW-A800 series.

The NWZ-S610F series has been a pleasant surprise, however no one is farmiliar with it. There is much interest in this model.

Possibly. I suspect the internals would be very similar, if not identical so they should sound the same (the S610 also has the advantage of a FM tuner). The extra $$$ for the A810 would be for the metal case and better quality headphones.

That's not very 'GREEN' for a company that consistently claims to care for the environment. :unsure:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Environment/e...sion/index.html

Edited by aob9

As for battery life, my E507 is still working fine after 2 years of daily usage but it's probably slightly lowered by now.

Yes, I agree that for a bit of extra money, the A810 beats the S610 with better earphones. However, headphones are replaceable.

It makes me want to think that releasing both the A810 and S610 at the same time isn't a very smart move by Sony.

Something that has annoyed me is that in the US, the A810 directly competes with the new iPod Nano in terms of pricing, while in Canada, we have the S610 who competes with the Nano in terms of pricing.

Sure, we had the A800 for a while now but it was overpriced (8 GB was $300 CAD). The A810 series (sans 8 GB) are still overpriced here.

Canadians are missing out the hot competition that our neighbor, the US are having and I'm not going to bother going into the subject of our currency parity with the US.

As for battery life, my E507 is still working fine after 2 years of daily usage but it's probably slightly lowered by now.

Yes, I agree that for a bit of extra money, the A810 beats the S610 with better earphones. However, headphones are replaceable.

It makes me want to think that releasing both the A810 and S610 at the same time isn't a very smart move by Sony.

Something that has annoyed me is that in the US, the A810 directly competes with the new iPod Nano in terms of pricing, while in Canada, we have the S610 who competes with the Nano in terms of pricing.

Sure, we had the A800 for a while now but it was overpriced (8 GB was $300 CAD). The A810 series (sans 8 GB) are still overpriced here.

Canadians are missing out the hot competition that our neighbor, the US are having and I'm not going to bother going into the subject of our currency parity with the US.

I do not think that the NWZ-A810 will be available in Canada for some time. The NWZ-A810 series does sell for less than the NW-A810 in other regions.

There have been reports of missing features on the NWZ-A810 that are found on the NW-A800 series. Sony Canada has designated both models for different markets. If you want a new model, and do not care much about video playback the NWZ-S618 would be a better purchase. Especially, since you will be getting a FM radio.

The A810 is sold in Sony Style Canada website for but it won't carry the 8GB version. It has been said that the model will be in local stores later this Fall.

Personally, the difference in the LCD size of those 2 players are insignificant as they are too small for me to enjoy a movie. I still prefer watching a video on the PSP.

I have the 8 gig 610, had the choice of the two but went with the 610. Sound-wise both units are identical, (i never use the bundled headphones with any mp3 player). Aside from the slightly bigger screen, there is probably no difference between the two units. Since I don't plan to watch videos or pictures with this the screen size wasn't too important to me. The smaller form factor was the major factor in my purchase. Radio is a + i guess but I can honestly say I haven't used it. This is the best sounding MP3 player I have ever own, better than the HD5. I can listen to older tracks (from 90's 80's and before and they don't have that thin sound older tracks usually do. There is NO distortion on any tracks and I have clear bass set to maximum.

True, but I never had flahsed based Walkman battery died on me yet, which includes first NW-E series and NW-S706F.

I checked the local Fry's last Friday and today for the new Sony's. Last week there were over 15 A818 models ( 2GB to 8GB ) and a similar number of A6xx models. NONE of the A818 models are left but there are still 11 of the 6xx series models. It seems the consumers have spoken on this...

Joe

I just picked my S618F Silver and I love it. I'm currently using the same old EX71sl but my EX90sl should be shipped by next week.

I am currently experiencing a very odd problem.

The unit automatically disconnects from my laptop then becomes unrecognizable by Windows XP. It appears that the drivers are corrupted for some reason.

However, I am not having any problem in other computers at home. Very odd!

I just picked my S618F Silver and I love it. I'm currently using the same old EX71sl but my EX90sl should be shipped by next week.

The unit automatically disconnects from my laptop then becomes unrecognizable by Windows XP. It appears that the drivers are corrupted for some reason.

When you resolve that issue we would love to hear about your experience. Congrats on your purchase.

So does the silver version resist fingerprints and oil well? The black one, as expected really shows oil from one's skin.

Joe

I finally got it, i gave in.

Was a pretty good deal $280 AUD for the 8GB one and free leather case, lanyard, and screen protector.

Just loading songs on now.

I also got the BT Adapter for $100

Hi,

That is a great deal LG1.

Was that from a bricks & mortar store or an internet store? I'd like to get a similar deal if possible.

Cheers.

It was from sony central.

In melbourne, i hope i havent wasted my money on the BT as it doesnt work with the computer just hope it works with the BT earphones.

I think they might end up costing $289 but i haggled them down even further

I have had no problems with it but it isnt that fastest usb drive iv used

It was from sony central.

In melbourne, i hope i havent wasted my money on the BT as it doesnt work with the computer just hope it works with the BT earphones.

I think they might end up costing $289 but i haggled them down even further

I have had no problems with it but it isnt that fastest usb drive iv used

Thank you LG1 for the information.

I might try my negotiation skills on Sony Central in Adelaide :D

Cheers.

So does the silver version resist fingerprints and oil well? The black one, as expected really shows oil from one's skin.

Joe

So far, I have not noticed any fingerprint on the silver case. However, the LCD shows fingerprint as expected.

Joe

I have the NWZ-S616 in RED. That color and texture (not quite mirror smooth) makes fingerprints absolutely invisible. The only place they can be seen is on the screen itself.

I really love the player. Sounds great through my Atrio M5's. Simple to operate. The 6xx series is definitely the underdog, but for folks like me who already own better in-ear monitors than any earbud Sony has, it's a much better deal than the 8xx series.

My only real gripe so far is the firmware bug that causes the year info to be lost if files are transferred to the player by drag and drop in Windows. This does not happen if a media player application is used to sync the Sony, but I'd prefer to use plain old drag and drop. Hope there's a firmware fix for this somewhere along the line.

I just bought the 8GB model & its fantastic :D

Changing from using an iPod for the last few years, I simply didn't realise just how inferior the iPods sound quality was until I directly compared it with my new Sony.

I didn't end up buying mine from Sony Central, rather I bought from OS at around half of the R.R.P in Australia. Was in my hands within 3 working days too (thanks UPS).

Just have to fettle the audio settings & perhaps upgrade my current headphones (Sony's MDR-G74SL) to something better.

Cheers.

I just bought the 8GB model & its fantastic :D

Changing from using an iPod for the last few years, I simply didn't realise just how inferior the iPods sound quality was until I directly compared it with my new Sony.

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the Sony sound - it's great isn't it? Decent headphones will bring out its qualities even more. I'm using the Denon AH-C700 and they're just beautiful with my 808. Took a lot of testing before I found the headphones I wanted but it was well worth is, now I've got exactly the sound I was looking for.

Have fun with your new toy. . . :D

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the Sony sound - it's great isn't it? Decent headphones will bring out its qualities even more. I'm using the Denon AH-C700 and they're just beautiful with my 808. Took a lot of testing before I found the headphones I wanted but it was well worth is, now I've got exactly the sound I was looking for.

Have fun with your new toy. . . :D

Thank you for your response Juli. I am loving this walkman, after just one day of use! Low bitrate podcasts like the ones found on ESPN (all seemingly are 32 kbps mp3's) sound many, many times better on the S618 vs. the iPod. Listening to TWiT yesterday on the Sony was brilliant too. As for music mp3's that I've ripped, there is simply no comparison. :lol:

I was also looking at purchasing the NWZ-A818; I felt the S618 was better value given the inclusion of the FM radio. Video & pictures aren't anything I'm too concerned with, so the slightly smaller screen on the S618 didn't worry me. The Sony supplied trailer for "Surf's Up" did look great though.

To be honest, both Sony models are excellent, as are the Atrac models such as your 808. The atrac models were what I was looking to buy when I bought my iPod but decided to forego the hassle of using SonicStage which I'd used on a CD based Walkman (and had a love/hate relationship with) for the resource hog iTunes instead!

Cheers.

Yes, S610 is seriously underated... IMO, the Sony mp3 DAPs that can match with S610 are A910 & A1000 series only. I've compared S610 w/ A800&A810, and I have to say S610 sounds better than those two with less background hiss noise. (tested w/ MDR-EX082) The only letdowns for S610 are the filmsy-looking design and the not-so-responsive plastic buttons.

Yes, S610 is seriously underated... IMO, the Sony mp3 DAPs that can match with S610 are A910 & A1000 series only. I've compared S610 w/ A800&A810, and I have to say S610 sounds better than those two with less background hiss noise. (tested w/ MDR-EX082) The only letdowns for S610 are the filmsy-looking design and the not-so-responsive plastic buttons.

How can you say the 610 sounds better than the 80* or 81*? I doubt you will get many people to agree with that!!!! :huh:

How can you say the 610 sounds better than the 80* or 81*? I doubt you will get many people to agree with that!!!! :huh:

It is because he owns it. The relations to the original post was because no one was talking about this NWZ-S610 series, and that is it. It is strange how that issue has turned into making incorrect statements about NW-A800 and NWZ-A810 series. The NW-A800 and NWZ-A810 series are both premium models, and I doubt that Sony designed the NWZ-610 series to sound better that the 800's.

i don't think that NWZ-S61X sounds better than the NWZ-A81X and NW-A80X, i have heard all three players already, though i don't own the two NWZ-S and A players, my friends all went for the non atrac players as soon as they came out. NW-A1000 is history, its sq is only acceptable..... I think NW-A91X is one good dap to look forward to in japan and it beats S610 100%

The NW-A800 and NWZ-A810 series are both premium models, and I doubt that Sony designed the NWZ-610 series to sound better that the 800's.

I doubt that there is any real difference in sound quality between the two units (when using the same headphones of course!) - its the same 'engine' in different bodies. You're not paying more for better sound, you're paying more for the better quality headphones, larger screen and metal body.

Used to be the same with Sony's minidisc recorders. The top of the range model always had more bling (e.g. backlit remote, magnesium body) but the internals were identical to the cheaper models that ran on AA batteries and used more plastic.

Edited by Arc888

I doubt that there is any real difference in sound quality between the two units (when using the same headphones of course!) - its the same 'engine' in different bodies. You're not paying more for better sound, you're paying more for the better quality headphones, larger screen and metal body.

Huh, what is hard to understand about what was written :huh: .

What was written The NW-A800 and NWZ-A810 series are both premium models, and I doubt that Sony designed the NWZ-610 series to sound better that the 800's. This should be obviously clear, and impossible to conclude the reverse.

No where is it written that the NWZ-A810/NW-A800 series had better sound than the NWZ-A610 series. This was a response to ...

I've compared S610 w/ A800&A810, and I have to say S610 sounds better than those two with less background hiss noise.

So you were implying they sound exactly the same huh? Well, no - that wasn't 'obviously clear'.

I am not going to argue about what I wrote. It is not my fault that you did not read the post that my statement was replying to. My English is not prefect, but you reponse is a logic error.

John's house is not bigger than Robert's house. Does not mean:Robert's house is bigger than John's house. Nor does it mean John's and Robert's house is the same size. What was writen is what was writen. You can not make any additional conclusions because no addition information exist to make such conclusion.

No where was any statement made that the sound of the 800 series was better than the NWZ-610 series. Nor was it written that they where the same.

The reason that it may not be obvious to you, that you refuse to read the original post and the subsequent post. You should be more careful of take someone's words out of context.

If I explicitly wrote that the NW-A800/NWZ-A810 series sounded better or had better sound quality than the NWZ-S610 series, then I apologize. However, there is no where in my post that states that, or can be implied from that.