Buying a PS3...

Rate this question

ceres

Question

Now that the price has come down to 399 eur I will buy a ps3 as I don´t own a high quality dvd (want upscaling) player. The data I have seen suggest that the ps3 dvd capabilities match the denon 2930 which is very good. Blue-Ray is a nice add-on as well as is sacd over hdmi. Truth be told I will cancel my NWZ Walkman order as I won´t spend 200 eur on an mp3 player if I can get (of course subsidized by Sony) PS3 for 399. I will also use the PS3 to stream video from my computer.

Here in Germany HDTV is not widespread so I will -of course legally- dl HDTV series I like from the US and transfer to PS3 HDD. I am really excited to try the PS3. Gaming will also be done but only casually. I actually sold my HR03 modded 8800 for 300Eur so the PS3 comes for almost free. I usually just play a few games per year ( MTWII, Supreme Commander and Bioshock last year) so higher pricepoints for PS3 games won´t bother me. BTW, I´d really like one of those Japanese white PS3s epecially at 242 eur :clover:

Edited by ceres

32 answers to this question

I'd avoid the white one. Not because of its colour -- I agree it looks very nice -- but because they took out SACD playback. See http://www.ps3sacd.com/

Thanks for your imput! Nobody noticed the omission of SACD in the press releases. I was curious to check out sacd over hdmi as the ps3 received quite some praise for sacd fidelity. Luckily I own a top end sacd/cd player so I will

still opt for the less expensive 40 GB unit.

Hi,

as it appears Sony reduced mobo quality and employed cheaper parts in the 40 GB Version resulting in degraded br quality. Also NO DVD Upscaling if rumors are true.

Shortly CELL will move to <65 nm structures. That along with the lack of rumble controller in European PS3 bundles means Sony has blown it yet again for Europeans.

I accept the fact that S wants to focus on gaming with the 40 Gb model but the omission of the new controller is a cheap move. It will be rectified after Xmas I reckon.

By then I will be able to buy decent BR/DVD Players for around 300 Eur.

I don't know but DVD Upscaling is the firmware's job. If you get the latest firmware, you will have DVD upscaling.

As for the controller, the Sixaxis is the standard controller since the PS3's debut. The Dual Shock 3 is coming next year.

You might want to wait until Easter mainly because it has been said that Sony will bundle Metal Gear Solid 4 with Dual Shock 3 together for European release.

The time to buy the PS3 has passed. The 40GB has zero backward compatibility. The 80GB has minimal backward compatibility. I can't believe Sony ditch backward compatiblity while in the past they were boasting about Playstation being a platform where all past software will always be compatible. What a bunch of liars. Glad I got my 60GB early.

The time to buy the PS3 has passed. The 40GB has zero backward compatibility. The 80GB has minimal backward compatibility. I can't believe Sony ditch backward compatiblity while in the past they were boasting about Playstation being a platform where all past software will always be compatible. What a bunch of liars. Glad I got my 60GB early.

The 80 GB is compatible with ~80% of PS2 titles (I have a euro 60gb) and that figure rises with each update, and all PS1 titles work flawlessly. The 40 GB will get compatability when they work out software emulation of the GS (the Ps2's grapahics chp), keep in mind this has already been done with the PS2's CPU (the emotion engine) on the 80GB and Sony employ ~100 people to work on emulation. Mark my words, this time next year the PS2 will be fully software emulated. If the PSP can play PS1 games through software, the PS3 can do the PS2.

The 40 GB will get compatability when they work out software emulation of the GS (the Ps2's grapahics chp)

Nope. Sony has decided to drop backward compatibility on the 40GB. Their excuses were that developing emulation cost them too much money, and they saw the Xbox360 doing fine with partial backward compatibility. Poor excuses. As for the 80GB emulation, if you read the comments from people, many PS2 games that are indicated to be backward compatible are not really playable (missing cutscenes, etc).

for 60,000 yens(original ps3 price) you can have both new ps3 and a new ps2....for 100% ps2 compatibility....

new ps3 is a good stuff for ppl who already own ps2(most of them who demand 100% compatibility) and also new buyers who dont care much abt ps2(like me)

People that are waiting for the lower price probably wouldn't spend more money to buy both PS3 and PS2, which defeats the wait for a price drop in the first place. Remember when the PS2 first came out? The game selections were not that great (Fantavision?), but people could enjoy their PS1 games, and thus the PS2 garnered huge marketshare and better games came out.

My point is Sony promised the Playstation to be a platform where all older software will be compatible with future hardware. Sony even did a presentation bragging about this during the announcement of the PS3. Yet now they ditched backward compatibility with lame excuses? What a sellout company. I've seen users selling their PS2 to be replaced by a PS3, and it is reasonable for a customer to expect the PS3 to play older Playstation games based on the obvious Playstation brand. With the lack of PS3 games, having backward compatibility could've bode better for Sony since users can enjoy the bajillion PS2 games.

Oh well, maybe this is Sony's tactic to sell more blu-ray movies. If new PS3 owners find out that they cannot play PS2 games and there's only a tiny selection of PS3 games, the next content they'll look for is probably blu-ray movies.

People that are waiting for the lower price probably wouldn't spend more money to buy both PS3 and PS2, which defeats the wait for a price drop in the first place. Remember when the PS2 first came out? The game selections were not that great (Fantavision?), but people could enjoy their PS1 games, and thus the PS2 garnered huge marketshare and better games came out.

My point is Sony promised the Playstation to be a platform where all older software will be compatible with future hardware. Sony even did a presentation bragging about this during the announcement of the PS3. Yet now they ditched backward compatibility with lame excuses? What a sellout company. I've seen users selling their PS2 to be replaced by a PS3, and it is reasonable for a customer to expect the PS3 to play older Playstation games based on the obvious Playstation brand. With the lack of PS3 games, having backward compatibility could've bode better for Sony since users can enjoy the bajillion PS2 games.

Oh well, maybe this is Sony's tactic to sell more blu-ray movies. If new PS3 owners find out that they cannot play PS2 games and there's only a tiny selection of PS3 games, the next content they'll look for is probably blu-ray movies.

With Sony dropping PS2 backward compatibility on the PS3 is disappointing. However, never owning a PS2 I am indifferent about that. As with you I wish Sony kept their promise about making the PS2 games compatible with the PS3. I think Sony did not act their best interest to promise backward compatibility when, it can be suspected that, backward compatibility would be a monumental task. My two cents, Sony will continue to support PS2 cames with the PS3, however only certain (more expensive) models will have the feature.

1. Sony might just be removing the 40 GB BC then bringing it back later after the 60 gigs are sold out. By offering a lower priced SKU w/o BC it shows that for only $100 more you can get FULL BC for the 60 GB. That gives consumers a choice.

2. Most people don't realize that the majority of people who will buy the 40 GB either already own a PS2 (which they probably do) or do not give a rats ass about BC in the first place. I mean, you're buying a PS3 games TO PLAY PS3 GAMES. I have a ps2 and a large library of ps2 games and I still don't use my 60 GB PS3 to play them. I never play ps2 games anymore.

So the point is 40 GB is good for people who are buying the PS3 to play ps3 games. the 40 GB gives you a price where you don't have to sell your PS2 to be able to afford it. So people buying it will most likely already have a PS2. On the other hand if people are just going to play PS3 games (which is highly probable) then the 40 GB is a great deal.

Yeah, how many PS3 exclusive games are out there?

I agree with you Pata that Sony changed directions midstream after giving MS a hard time about limited software-based BC. I spoke with a Sony rep yesterday and it was infuriating. All I kept hearing was "future proof", "BC isn't important, just buy a PS2", "the PS2 will last another 3 years", "we still have BC in the 80GB model", etc. I just don't understand why they kept BC in the 80GB model and dropped it in the 40GB model. The US Sony President(?) even stated that dropping BC didn't save much money. So, it really makes no sense to drop it from the 40GB...unless Sony has no intention of continuing firmware updates to support PS2 BC on the 80GB.

I am complexly vexed by this nonsense. Either keep the BC in all models, or drop it completely. This will only add to consumer confusion this Xmas.

In regards to the PS3 exclusives....I don't care if there are only a few exclusives.....as long as they are blockbusters. If I can get a game on the XB360 or the PS3, I will choose whichever one has the best performance. If the performance is the same, I will that the PS3 game. I am more concerned about the LACK of current and future "Japanese style" RPGs. The PS2 used to be the only true choice for such games, but now NONE of the systems really have much to offer. I expected Sony to provide the system of choice for RPGs, now I am not so sure.....

Still, "gots" my 60GB system with "real BC" so all is well in Texas.

I am more concerned about the LACK of current and future "Japanese style" RPGs. The PS2 used to be the only true choice for such games, but now NONE of the systems really have much to offer. I expected Sony to provide the system of choice for RPGs, now I am not so sure.....

Still, "gots" my 60GB system with "real BC" so all is well in Texas.

True, which is why I decided to buy the Xbox 360 with Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata. :) Glad I got my 60GB early too.

There is one thing that most consumers fail to realize when they speak of backward compatibility.

PS2 games will rarely look good on HDTV since most of them only play on 480i natively.

HDTV are best viewed on their native resolution.

Plus, some HDTV has a small lag when you play games on a non-native resolution.

I like the way that the 360 performs running games. Truth be told I consider it the better gaming machine for the time being. However, I cannot stand the noise level that is

coming from that machine. Also current price point is in favor of the PS3. A propos RPG, which is the best one out there for the PS3?

I will wait on the Xbox 360 until they work out the overheating issues as a whole. The new falcon chip/chipset seems to be available on some of the Halo 3 units, but I will hold off til I know more.

I mentioned earlier that I do have a PS3. The funny thing is that it is still sitting in my closet as we pretty much are just using our Wii on a daily basis....yeah RE4. I truly don't know if we will hook up the PS3 before Xmas or not....we might even wait til after we get an Xbox 360.

Pata what do you think of Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon?

There is one thing that most consumers fail to realize when they speak of backward compatibility.

PS2 games will rarely look good on HDTV since most of them only play on 480i natively.

HDTV are best viewed on their native resolution.

Plus, some HDTV has a small lag when you play games on a non-native resolution.

The PS3 can upscale PS2 games. HDTV are best at their native res, but try finding an HDTV with the exact 720p resolution (1280x720). Most mid-range LCD HDTVs have 1366 x 768 resolution, so there is always some sort of scaling involved, even when viewing 720p content.

If an HDTV has a "lag" displaying non-native resolution, either it's a super cheapo ancient LCD technology or it's defective. As I've said above, most HDTVs are displaying non-native resolution in the first place. Having multiple LCD monitors for years, I never have any "lag" issue for displaying non-native res.

What does this have to do with backward compatibility anyway? :D

Pata what do you think of Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon?

Blue Dragon is OK. It started kinda bland, but it's picking up a bit, and I'm still on Disc1! :D It's not as flashy as Final Fantasy series, but it's pretty much a classic J-RPG turn based + class system. Big plus is the Japanese voice, something that has been censored in many US version of J-RPGs.

Eternal Sonata is still shrink-wrapped. :D PS3 will get it next year, but I can't wait.

Don't forget Lost Odyssey (the next Mistwalker's title), and also Infinite Undiscovery (by Square Enix). Oh and there is already plan/rumor for Blue Dragon 2.

To give PS3 credit, they do have FF13 and all its spin-offs coming.

The PS3 can upscale PS2 games. HDTV are best at their native res, but try finding an HDTV with the exact 720p resolution (1280x720). Most mid-range LCD HDTVs have 1366 x 768 resolution, so there is always some sort of scaling involved, even when viewing 720p content.

If an HDTV has a "lag" displaying non-native resolution, either it's a super cheapo ancient LCD technology or it's defective. As I've said above, most HDTVs are displaying non-native resolution in the first place. Having multiple LCD monitors for years, I never have any "lag" issue for displaying non-native res.

What does this have to do with backward compatibility anyway? :D

The point is that backward compatibility won't look as good on HDTV regardless the upscaling option.

Upscaling doesn't do much, honestly. The image is interpolated by smoothing up the edges. As a result, the image may become a bit blurry depending on the game.

However, upscaling is best used on DVD movies.

Personally, I find that the best way to enjoy PS2 games is still on a normal TV.

If you really want backward compatibility, consider buying a PS2 memory card adapter if you still have valuable game data in those cards.

Apparently the "new" PS3 includes 65nm RSX and Cell parts as power consumption during blue ray playback and gaming is down to 130W from almost 200W. Also fan noise stays around 0.9 Sone max.

My PS3 (original 60GB) is pretty low on noise. Cooler and less power is always better though.

Hey,

I know that I can easily transfer music from a PS3 to the A818 series units and to my PSP; The A818 in mp3 or AAC and the PSP in mp3, AAC and ATRAC.

Does anyone know if the PS3 will allow transfers of ATRAC to other Sony ATRAC enabled players and HiMD/MD units? Thanks.

Joe

I guess I wasn't clear enough. This is exactly what I meant. Can you LOAD the A805 FROM the PS3 like you can do with the A818 and PSP models? Thanks.

Joe

:)

I thought you knew Joe? To be honest I haven't tried it but doubt it very much. Why don't you give it a go?

I no longer have a PS3 so I cannot test this idea. I did successfully transfer music TO and FROM a PS3 using the NW-A818.

Joe

I can access the A805 like a normal thumbdrive, but i don't think I can transfer mp3's to and from the ps3. For one thing, the copy option is grayed out when i clicked on the mp3 on the player. And if i copy mp3's to the player, they'll just sit in the music folder. I can't playback via the walkman.

So I guess the A805 works like a normal thumbdrive when connected to the PS3. Sonicstage is still required to transfer songs....

I can access the A805 like a normal thumbdrive, but i don't think I can transfer mp3's to and from the ps3. For one thing, the copy option is grayed out when i clicked on the mp3 on the player. And if i copy mp3's to the player, they'll just sit in the music folder. I can't playback via the walkman.

So I guess the A805 works like a normal thumbdrive when connected to the PS3. Sonicstage is still required to transfer songs....

Well, that pretty much decides it. For whatever crazy reason, the PS3 can transfer music to theNWZ-A8** series, but it won't work with the NW-8** series. This really surprises me as it seems that Sony would include that option on the PS3 since they have other options to transfer music to ATRAC players that are not PC-based.

I guess this removes any need to buy a NW-model; guess I will stick with the NWZ-model.

Joe