MP3 tags and the NWZ-A81*

Rate this question

Akai Kenshi

Question

So, my NWZ-A818, which I love, seems to be having some trouble displaying the song's release year in MP3 tags. For AAC, which is the majority of my collection, the year on the tag is displayed just fine, but for MP3's it displays "unknown" even if there is a year entered in the tag. I tried entering "YEAR: ****" in the comment field of the tag but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

8 answers to this question

I have the NWZ-S616, and have observed the same issue. I assume you are loading the files onto the player by drag and drop in Windows. When you do this, the date info is not carried along (this can be verified by examining the files once they are on the player). If you load the files using Windows Media Player or Media Monkey (or other media players, I presume), the year info will show up.

This is a firmware bug, as far as I'm concerned.

I can confirm this behavior as well. All the mp3s that I dragged onto my NWZ-A818 lost their year info. When I used Windows Media Player, I now have the year info. Wouldn't mind this too much but WMP doesn't handle my aac files. I hope they release that Media Manager for WALKMAN soon.

With my NW-A808, SonicStage doesn't always pick up the release year when I import mp3s that I tagged. I know most of you NWZ-A81X users hate Sonicstage, but if it's already on your computer, have you tried setting just the release year within Sonicstage and seeing if it also shows up on your player?

With my NW-A808, SonicStage doesn't always pick up the release year when I import mp3s that I tagged. I know most of you NWZ-A81X users hate Sonicstage, but if it's already on your computer, have you tried setting just the release year within Sonicstage and seeing if it also shows up on your player?

Sony has moved away from using SonicStage, here in the US at least when they released the NWZ-A810 and S610 series. They support drag and drop(which is where the problem occurs) and Windows Media Player or Winamp, though I find Winamp5 to be a bit wonky when dealing with the player

It is definitely a bug. I couldn´t resist the current price level so I purchased a nwz 818 walkman despite wanting to wait for the successor.

Anyway, dropping itunes encoded aac files works flawlessly including year and embedded album art so it´s a bug with mp3 tags. I hope it will be taken care

of along with on device rating, playlisting and gapless playback :clover:

Edited by ceres