NWZ-A81x - Back Cover / battery replacement

Rate this question

jporcas

Question

Hi,

Just quick question. Very close to buying NWZ-A818 (dont like SS/ATRAC and am a WMP 11 user) and just wont to know one thing...

Seen the 2 screws in pictures on the back cover....can you take the back cover off by undoing these and then replace the battery...understand this would void the warrenty.

My NW-A1000 now has about 2.5 battery life :(

3 answers to this question

From what I can gather these devices are disposable; i.e the battery is glued/soldered into position and is not replaceable. So, don't undo those two screws in case the battery packs up during the warranty period.

Yes indeed. The batteries in these devices should endure many charges and should last you a couple of years, by which time you will be looking for something else to listen to. Once the battery is dead the whole device is designed to be binned. All part of the throw away society we live in today.

From what I can gather these devices are disposable; i.e the battery is glued/soldered into position and is not replaceable. So, don't undo those two screws in case the battery packs up during the warranty period.

I would not recommend removing the battery, since it would be hard to find replacement batteries. It is however possible to get replacement batteries for the iPod, because of the popularity of the device and the of poor quality batteries. My experience of these devices is that they generally do not last as long as the batteries, and it should be possible to get over 3 years of life from either model.

However removing the batteries will not void you warranty, unless it is obvious that you opened the device. Some manufactures use various techniques to determine how your device got damaged. For, example cell phone has water sensitive paper in them that turn pink when it comes in contact with water.

It is slowly becoming a practice for the devices to be reassembled and recycled some how. These policies are not clear. I would check with the retailer, manufacture/distributer and local government on policies that they have for proper disposal of used electronics.