New Features for NWZ-A810 series (NWZ-A815, NWZ-A816, NWZ-A818) via Firmware?

Rate this question

cliffster115

Question

I think I have exhausted all my resources in finding out feature-wise what the American NWZ-A818 has in comparison to the NW-A800 series (not released in US). I've been pretty excited about my recent purchase of the NWZ-A818 BLK through Amazon.com (coming next week! :D), and can't wait to hear the sound quality of this Sony, versus the flat sound of my iPod 4G and nano 1G.

I first leaned that the NWZ software (in terms of player features) is not identical to the NW found somewhere here in the forums. Well according to my research I believe it is true that Sony did indeed leave some nice features off of the intial firmware of the NWZ-A818 in comparison to the NW-A800. Such things left off were:

• on the fly playlist creation
  • rating system with stars
  • automatic playlists? (not sure if it is dynamic in the player, or just through autoplaylist sync through Windows Media Player)
Coming from an iPod, i loved being able to rate songs on the device itself. Since the NWZ-A818 doesn't seem to support this function like its NW sibling, I'm kinda disappointed, but it's not something that Sony can't really fix. The same goes to the exclusion of playlist creation on the fly in the NWZ-A818, and also automatic dynamic playlists in the player itself. Although these features aren't necessarily a deal breaker to me, I would still very very much like them.

Some reasons to why Sony excluded these features I believe is mainly due to the exclusion of SS/Connect support for the NWZ-A818 with the replacement of Plays for Sure and Drag & Drop. But Windows Media Player itself fully supports the star rating system, and I think Sony could easily implement it in a new firmware update; same goes to dynamic playlists on the device.

I also have been hearing about the new Sony Media Manager for Walkman to be released. I'm really hoping this software will bring some dynamic playlist functionality (such as recently added, most listend to, new songs, etc.) to the player itself and also the star rating system, although I really doubt it at this point, since it is really a firmware issue.

Why would Sony remove these nice features, and is it very possible that the next firmware update that Sony will included these features back on the NWZ-A818? Has anyone heard any rumors?

Thanks, Cheers!

Edited by cliffster115

16 answers to this question

They need to add gapless capability via firmware. That's the biggest problem, for me. (a rating system would be nice too, so I can go back and make artist comps based on the ratings)

Yeah I think everyone can vouch for that! I have a lot of album mixes, and this feature would be quite essential for listening to those types of albums.

I still think that the reason why Sony left out some features from the firmware was because due to the rush of getting the NWZs out to the market to compete with the 3G iPod 8GB 'Fatties'! haha. Just saying so b/c the NWZ were released just a month prior to the official 3G iPods. I think Sony anticipated Apple putting out some sort of major 'upgrade' to the iPod Nano Fatty since 2005. Well i could be all wrong, but the Apple update/upgrade to the 3G certainly isn't an upgrade in the sound department, perhaps it will never be! :lol:

I just dislike how Apple is probably NEVER going to implement some sort of customizable EQ setting on the iPod. Geez just take a look at all these years from the first generation of iPods! You would think they would know better and add a custom EQ, after all it's primary function is a MUSIC PLAYER! And if they can scale down OSx for use in the iPhone/Touch then they can certainly damn well create some sort of customizable EQ for all the iPods! :D Oh and don't get me started on how Apple is just trying to squeeze money out of the consumer by devious methods such as older docks not being compatible (video output) and how one would have to repurchase games (even though I never did).

Anyways I really hope Sony tramples Apple, we already know quite clearly that it does in the sound department, and that is what matters most to me! :) Which is why all the better I'm ditching the iPod line because to me the sound quality isn't first rate. :lol:

Edited by cliffster115

I seriously doubt there will be any firmware updates judging from previous history. Sony will simply release a new player and force you to buy it, it's an easy way for them to make money.

Well, one could argue that Walkman is released with a lot of functions so not as much updates are needed compared to others.

Samsung's P2 was first released with WMA (no VBR, no Lossless only basic WMA) and MP3 only. Then released, after couple months, AAC support update.

Whereas, NWZ-A810 series supported: WMA (includes VBR, supports DRM and non-DRM), AAC, MP3, linear PCM (WAV) from day-one. Personally, I'd rather have all on my first purchase than waiting for update.

But, I do agree that unless there is a specific problem with the player or new software that works with Walkman comes up, there is small chance of update.

For example, there was update for NWZ-A800 when some noise problem was detected with EQ settings. NW-A1000/3000 series had update when new software SS.4.0 with some new codec support was released.

I don't think anyone forces you to buy a product; it will be forced if the player stops working when they release new product, but this is not the case (my MD player released in 1998 still works with SS 4.4). Also, as far as I understand, Sony and others, including Samsung, Apple, etc, aim is to make profit; I don't find why people have negative opinions about any companies for making profit, when it is the primary agenda for all companies.

Edited by Zizone

So the answer is a no then? For the firmware update?

When you have been following Sony products for as long as I have, you get a feeling for what the company is doing. I think Sony's marketing division knows exactly how to maintain sales while changing or witholding certain features until the next line up. Makes perfect business sense, I have nothing against it. I do feel kind of sad for those still hoping for the update though. They need to wake up to reality.

There is usually a single firmware update to fix bugs and add a trivial feature or two a few months after launch. I don't see why they would release the updated features as a firmware update - if they did this, then they could just keep selling the product under the same model number right?

There is usually a single firmware update to fix bugs and add a trivial feature or two a few months after launch. I don't see why they would release the updated features as a firmware update - if they did this, then they could just keep selling the product under the same model number right?

Yeah I'm beginning to see that Sony probably won't release a firmware to add new features. Atleast they could release a firmware update to fix the year issue of where songs that are dragged and dropped onto the player display "Unknown."

Edited by cliffster115

What´s really irritating is the fact that otg playlisting and 5 Star rating where in place on the 808 SonicStage device.

As noted above competing daps such as the ZEN do offer these features with WMP so it´s a matter of we don´t care or buy the next Walkman.

What´s really irritating is the fact that otg playlisting and 5 Star rating where in place on the 808 SonicStage device.

As noted above competing daps such as the ZEN do offer these features with WMP so it´s a matter of we don´t care or buy the next Walkman.

Yup, very true, and I'm beginning to see Sony's tactic in marketing.

Hi, im new to this forum. I bought NWZ-A816 a couple months ago and i love it ^^ I have a question, my firmware is 1.0 and on the Sony page it says that i need to have installed firmware 2.0 to be able to install 2.1, and thers no download link to v2.0 on the page, can anyone help me plz?

Edited by Zaggy111

Hi, im new to this forum. I bought NWZ-A816 a couple months ago and i love it ^^ I have a question, my firmware is 1.0 and on the Sony page it says that i need to have installed firmware 2.0 to be able to install 2.1, and thers no download link to v2.0 on the page, can anyone help me plz?

I think that's a mistake on Sony website. Because, I don't recall seeing firmware 2.0.

I personally don't think, firmware 2.1 adds any important options besides:

New Features:

Support for accessing Rhapsody® music channels

Enhanced artist information

Important Notes:

After the update is applied, English is the only Display language available.