NWZ-S610 Review from DAPreview

Rate this topic

LG1_

I wanted to write a review myself but never got around to it, now there is no need you have all seen the reviews of the A818 which answers most peoples questions and now this review should answer the rest of it.

All i want to add is this is posiblity the best UI i have ever seen on a mp3 player and 100x better than the ipod's in my opinion.

http://www.dapreview.net/p/content/content.php?content.345.1

I will instead review the various add-ons that you can get for the player

In particular the

BCR-NWU3

post-5719-1133518785_thumb.gif

The sony dock is really nice with a reflective finish and should look good on any desk, works well with the S610 using the dock adapter that comes the the player.

The dock provides 4 main functions only three of which are enabled on the NWZ-S618

- Power (AC adapter included)

- Line In (Not Supported but works on NW-S7XX)

- Line Out (Works on all devices that support WM-Port)

- Computer (WM-Port Cable)

The main thing i like about this dock is not only its great style but its snug fit with the player you dont have to worry about any cables just drop it in and it will charge your player and play via line out.

You can not how ever play while connected to the computer so disconnect that cable if you want to play via line out.

Line-in would be a good feature for some people with the ability to adjust the levels from 1 to 2.

AC Adapter is a standard usb one which means it can be used with out the dock, just by connecting the WM-Port to one end and power to the other can charge other USB Devices but i have not tried.

PS: I bought this from Japan on eBay and was a very easy transaction and $60 USD

WLA-NWB1

SonicStage_3.3_JE_Installer.zip

When i first got this i thought to myself OMG what have i done as it was an impluse buy when i got my new S618 and had not yet got bluetooth earphones yet. Without understanding how it works i thought it would only work with sony devices.

Too my suprise when i did get my BT headset (reviewed below), i realized how to actually use this and it worked wonderfully, never disconnected, allways autoconnected, took less than 5 sec to connect and worked for a great distance away. A real joy to use and a great alternative to an fm transmitter, i highly recommend it to people who want to go wireless.

To my suprise not only did the A2DP work flawlessly, AVRCP worked perfect also.

It allowed Play\Pause << >> & Previous Track, Next track with minimal delay.

This also cost around $60 USD

Motorola S705 SoundPilot

post-20890-1133817890_thumb.jpg

I was realy hestiant before i knew that the Sony BT would work so i held of getting this to the last minute, i was browsing eBay and say it for $40 AUD (normally retails for $200) and was available in my home state. It was too good to refuse so i bought it at once and havent looked back soon.

Notable features are:

- Screen with backlight

- FM Radio with RDS

- Dual Bluetooth connects from alternative devices (HSP\HFP or A2DP & AVRCP)

- Caller Display

- Voice Control (Phone)

- Remote Control for computers (bug meant to only be audio sync).

When i got this i was happy with ergonomics of it but looks like a mamoth when compared with the S618 but at 30g i cant complain.

I really like that it has a screen but it doesnt display the track only says streaming, but the backlight makes it easy to use in the dark, with the joystick meaning it is easy to use if it is under clothing or in your pocket as opposed to tachtile buttons.

All controls work well with little delay and offers volume controls also.

Sound quality is reasonable with a lack of bass but still good for the non-audiophile.

FM Radio offers great qualilty on par with the S618 's (doesnt work with line out), but has no presets, but pressing back still goes to your last viewed station.

Things start to go downhill when you add a phone into the mix as it dials people randomly feels funny to use it ( i guess the same with all bluetooth headsets). Dont want to be shouting silent for everyone to hear. A delay in this is the problem as it starts dialing people and you dont know till you look at the phone.

I say its a great device even better because it was $40 but dont use it as a Hands-free unless to have time to troubleshoot it.

When i got my MP3 Player it came with a free leather case (snap-lock magnet) looks really nice a wrist strap, fake tattoes for the walkman and a screen protector which is prob over $100 of value for nothing.

All up i was able to get everything i wanted for under $500 AUD and it works the way i want which i guess is priceless.

Hope you enjoyed my review if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by LG1

• 2 weeks later...

so many good stuff u got with the release of NWZ-610, finally in Australia we don't have to pay some 500 AUD for a 8GB walkman (still 400 AUD after sony changed the price), that's just too crazy, NWZ-A810 players are also cheaper to afford. i just wonder how freaky the price will be if ever Australia gets a 16Gb walkman, maybe much more than the ipod touch 16GB