nw-a919 question

Rate this question

z-iron

Question

If I were to buy a nw-a919 in Japan, and bring it back home, would it work on a Canadian / American computer?

I'm thinking there might be a problem with Sonicstage, so would I simply download the english version of whatever version is supplied?

Also, are there any other potential risks in doing such a thing?

Thank you.

16 answers to this question

I still plan on buying this thing... for those interested I'll write a review, but that'll still be in a 2-3 months.

I can speak a little Japanese, so the menu might not be *too* big of a problem... maybe I'll get lucky and find out that it is indeed possible to switch it to English.

But nobody has answered my original question, and I kindly ask for a reply: will using the English version of Sonicstage 4.3 work on a Japanese product like this?

I guess nobody can answer that original question is because nobody has brought that player yet, so they can't try it on their english version SS and OS. The only product review that I have read is from a Taiwanese user. He happened to know Japanese for one and therefore he had no trouble using it. His laptop also had japanese OS and SS. It's all in Japanese, however some characters can be read by Chinese, only for those Chinese characters that also do appear in Japanese.

Navigation is user friendly if you are not seriously troubled by Japanese, in Asia region heaps of people buy Japanese video games and products even though they don't know any Japanese, they can live with it, cause things are just too good from Japan.

I've bought the player while i was in japan. the menu isnt that hard to get around through if you dont know japanese. any geek could figure it out. but luckily for me i do know japanese so it isnt that much of a problem for me. if you dont run a japanese os, then you cant run the software that comes with it. luckily for you, this site has a download for the asian pacific sonicstage which works completely fine. and yes im from Canada.

Hi,

how about the display quality on the 9xx-series?

I've just bought a A818 and the display quality outdoors is realy BAD!! What's up with Sony, don't they think about their products till end anymore?

I've got an old Vaio pocket which has a transflective TFT and you can perfectly read it in all light conditions, even in bright sunlight!!

The iPod is readable, too in sunlight and a Sony not? Shame on you.

So, any experience with the 9xx-series quality?

Thanks

So I've recently purchased the new Sony NW-A919 whilst I was in Japan.

Navigating around the menus etc is very self intuitive, but my major problem is actually getting the player to be recognised by my computer.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, have the Asia Pacific version of SS 4.3, and have previously had no problems with the Sony HD-1 or HD-5.

Upon attaching the device via USB I get the following installation error:

THE DRIVER FOR THIS DEVICE ARE NOT INSTALLED (CODE 28)

AN ERROR OCCURED A SERVICE INSTALLATION SECTION IN THIS INF IS INVALID.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this??

Windows will eventually install a generic USB driver for it and it will recognise the drive so I can transfer video/photos/files onto it, but not music. (SS doesn't recognise it).

Interestingly, I tried an install on my older computer running XP, and no problems there, so I'm able to transfer music etc via SS on to it.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated

So I've recently purchased the new Sony NW-A919 whilst I was in Japan.

Navigating around the menus etc is very self intuitive, but my major problem is actually getting the player to be recognised by my computer.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, have the Asia Pacific version of SS 4.3, and have previously had no problems with the Sony HD-1 or HD-5.

Upon attaching the device via USB I get the following installation error:

THE DRIVER FOR THIS DEVICE ARE NOT INSTALLED (CODE 28)

AN ERROR OCCURED A SERVICE INSTALLATION SECTION IN THIS INF IS INVALID.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this??

Windows will eventually install a generic USB driver for it and it will recognise the drive so I can transfer video/photos/files onto it, but not music. (SS doesn't recognise it).

Interestingly, I tried an install on my older computer running XP, and no problems there, so I'm able to transfer music etc via SS on to it.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated

Have you tried manually installing the drivers from the installation cd?