Problems with NW-S718F...

Rate this topic

May_On

Hello everybody ^_^

Well... I have some problems here, and don't find a better place to solve them...

A bought Sony NW-S718F Walkman in Japan.

Buuuuut, the Cd rom with Sonic Stage, Media Manager and Walkman Launcher, does not install on my Windows [ in portuguese].

So, what can I do? >_<

Can I transfer the audio, video files, without this programs?

Or can I download these softwares in other languages? Where do I find it?

Help me please!!!!

xD

I'm bumping this because I have the same problem. I'm living in Japan right now, but unfortunately, it completely slipped my mind that I run on an English windows when I bought the thing... Is there any way to install a sonicstage that works with non-Japanese windows and this model?

It *might* be possible that Sonicstage version 4.2 or 4.3 (which everyone else is using) is compatible with the player. Some Japanese ebay sellers are supposedly giving away these older versions of the software with the Japanese only players, claiming that all is fine. You should be able to find links on this site for the software. I don't trust anybody now when it comes to Sony though. But let us know if you fix the problem.

It seems pretty low in my opinion that a company would sell you a player in the knowledge that you'd never be able to use it properly.

Either sell it or learn Japanese.

If you bought it from a proper retailer (not ebay), the employees warn you that it doesn't have Japanese menu's or that it wont work without Japanese windows, etc.

I just picked this up in Japan too, but I won't be able to try installing it until tomorrow. I don't usually have too big a problem though.

Have you guys tried using applocale to install?

Edited by k30248

No, what is it?

[EDIT]

I searched for that on google and DLed it off of Microsoft. But, when I tried adding the program it said "Your current system settings can already accommodate the target application in the language you have selected.//Click Finish and AppLocale will launch the target application without any compatibility support." ...And then the program still won't load. Thanks for the idea though.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Matix

If you bought it from a proper retailer (not ebay), the employees warn you that it doesn't have Japanese menu's or that it wont work without Japanese windows, etc.

I just picked this up in Japan too, but I won't be able to try installing it until tomorrow. I don't usually have too big a problem though.

Unfortunately, this is not true as it was bought from a proper retailer who assured the Japanese speaking purchaser that it had english language menu.

I was guessing since the drag and drop thing was introduced to only US and Europe, that might be the reason the US version of 4.3 isn't recognizing it. Since Asia Pacific doesn't fall in those categories, I figured it would be worth a try. The mp3 player is still restricted to Japanese only.

The only problem I'm having now is Japanese character support in Sonic Stage. My old Connect Player worked with Japanese characters but this one doesn't seem to be.

I get a bunch of ???? in SS, I can't pull from folders or filenames with kata/kanji in it, but it does show the characters on the player itself after I transfer, assuming I don't edit the titles (or else I get ??? on the player too).

Edited by k30248

I've installed and uninstalled sonicstage 4.3 asia pacific version and it still doesn't recognise the nw-718f - i'm nearly at last resort to reformat. Anyone got any suggestions before i try this?

I believe new Walkman line ups from Japan are recognized by Japanese SonicStage only; also, retailers warn consumers before their purchase. So, try using Japanese SonicStage. (maybe someone mentioned this already sorry).

Edited by Zizone

Can anybody help with getting Japanese characters to work? I tried editing the registry like the sticky post said, but when I run SS in Applocale, I get "Your current system settings can already accommodate the target application in the language you have selected.//Click Finish and AppLocale will launch the target application without any compatibility support." and it still doesn't support the characters.

@k30248

Can you kindly check and confirm if this player display menu settings other than Japanese?

There has been reported elsewhere (but not confirmed by members of this forum) that this player can only have Japanese menu. If true, then it may be only the Japanese SS can detect this player, and it may be the reason why other members like karenb have problems in installing the software onto non-Japanese version of windows. BUT this seems contrary to your experience.

Geez, it seems Sony is so determined to dump Sonicstage and ATRAC that not only they don't release any new ATRAC players outside Japan, but also make sure ppl outside Japan have no interest to import them (unless you understand Japanese) by making the menu Japanese only.

@k30248

Can you kindly check and confirm if this player display menu settings other than Japanese?

Yeah, Japanese only.

My SS with my NW-S718F connected. You can see the demo tracks that came with the player. It doesn't recognize the model number, just "ATRAC Audio Device".

sonicstageoq3jh1yv9.jpg

I have my "Language for Non-Unicode Programs" set to Japanese all the time and when I installed SS. That's the only difference I could think of, but it doesn't seem like that should effect connectivity of the mp3 player.

Also, this is the error I get from Japanese titles in SS:

errorvl7.jpg

So can anyone here sum up what everyone has said :)

Asia Pacific version of SonicStage has worked for one member ,but not for other .

all in all ,I will suggest you to give SS Asia Pacific version a try ,and see whether it works for you or not .

• 5 weeks later...

So, I bought an NW-S718F player over the weekend and tried something out.

I got the software to install on my English copy of Windows. Basically, all I did was copy the entire CD to a folder on my desktop, and then edited the Configuration File called SetupSS (SetupSS.ini) changing the supportoslang option to English from Japanese. I then ran the SetupSS application from this folder and installed it all without a problem. However, I also have the non-Unicode setting in Windows set for Japanese, so all of the programs are in Japanese, including the entire install process. But, it recognizes my player and I can finally transfer files!

Just thought I'd let you guys know that it works after all. Good luck guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite the same model, but I've got the new Japanese release only NW-a919.

To answer previous questions, there is no option to change menu language to english, but it's easy enough to figure them out anyway.

Now if someone can help me out. I have 2 computers, one running XP Pro, and the other Vista Premium. After finally getting the drivers installed correctly in Vista, it is now recognised as a USB/removable drive under windows, but Sonicstage does not detect it.

My XP machine had no trouble installing drivers, and Sonicstage can detect it so I am able to transfer tracks Atrac files onto it.

Both computers are running the Asia Pacific version 4.3.

Does anyone have any ideas why my Vista Sonicstage is not detecting it??

Any help is greatly appreciated.