Installing Sonic Stage on external HD?

Rate this topic

k30248

My MP3 players: NW-A608, NW-S718F

After using Sonic Stage for a 5 years I should know this stuff, but I dont...

Can I transfer tracks from my mp3 player to my computer? Can I use more than 1 computer to add music to it? I've always assumed not, so I've never really tried.

I bought an external harddrive I was planning on moving all my music onto. Am I able to install Sonic Stage onto the external harddrive so if I switch from my desktop (home) to my laptop (travel), I still have my entire library with me and I can edit my MP3 players when I choose?

Edited by k30248

One thing I learnt from trial and error is that, rather than backup and deleting your music collection to then restore onto you new hdd, you can change location and SS will ask if you want your music transferred to the new hdd (directory)

I would have done it this way, rather than backup, delete entire music collection, then restoring to new HDD.

SonicStage actually writes lots of stuff into the registry, installs device drivers, and creates a key, which is unique for each computer (even if you don't have DRM'ed files). That's why it is not possible to create a Portable version of it. For the same reason you can't run it from anything if it is not installed properly on a particular computer. And remember that the database for the library always resides on your system (C:) drive, no matter where you install SonicStage. Also, all common files for OpenMG support (which is required even in case of MP3s) are on the system drive.

The only thing you can possibly do is have a full distribution package on your player, and install it to every computer you'll be using. Or get a NWZ-A818 and forget about all these problems forever. Together with gapless playback.

Further to my previous post, I purchased an external HDD last week as my c: drive had very little space on it.

I backed up my music to my new external HDD

I then deleted all the music via sonic stage (remove from library AND computer)

I then restored my music onto my new external HDD from the backup. It all worked fine.

I then set SS music directory for future imports etc to my new HDD. As mentioned in my previous post, when setting the SS music directory, it asks if you want to move all your music to this directory. Had I known this in the first place, I probably wouldn't have backed up, then restored and used this option instead. I guess going the backup route is more time consuming but the safe option.

So, I now have all my music on an external HDD. In short, yes, you can move your music library to an external HDD.

Hope this helps you.

I don't know the answers to your other questions.

From what i've read here, if i were to purchase an external drive i could not put SonicStage and my existing library on it? For fcuk's sake!!!

What other applications can you install on an external hard drive that would function without the OS (somehow) also being installed?

LuLu