European volume limit

Rate this question

Mehedict

Question

I'm about to buy a nwa 808, but is there the limit?

Currently, it's the only thing which keeps me hesitating.

I've read in some topic that there's no limit but the guys from Sony retail store say there is.. (slovakia goddamn EU)

The problem is you can't hear anything with some 32ohm portapros.

Best of all is that 30meters near the sony store is an Apple Center with shi**y white ipods.. and those have NO limits (isn't that against the law?) They say they import american ipods to europe, so in fact it's american products. And that's why needn't keep the limit. Interesting, at least.

So, couldn't Sony just import those devices from north pole or somewhere? leastways it would work well.

30 answers to this question

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french.

I think there is a volume limit on these models because I entered in the "test mode" and,

I can see on "Other"->"DEST" -> FR [sPS : ON] (here we can change by US,E,CN,KR,EU but the option doesn't apply)

and->"SPSET" -> FR [sPS : ON] (here we can change by OFF or ON but it's the same problem....)

So what can we do?

Thanks a lot

Edited by Ktalan

Dammit I want to buy one too and that's the thing that make me hesitate I'm French too I need to be sure there is no limit or else I'll import one from Japan

Trust us, there is no volume limit on the NW-A8xx & NWZ-A81x models. Stop hesitating and buy one. A Japanese model won't sound any louder than a European model.

Markey please can you tell then why it's written in the test mode "SPSet On" and it can't be turn off

Flash based walkmans won't allow you to change the sound pressure settings. Only the older hdd walkmans like HD1, 3 and 5 and A3000 will allow you to change settings. There is no need for an A8xx to go any louder, it's loud enough. The A8xx is much louder than an uncapped A3000/HD5 etc.

Yes, it's true, but we can conclude there is a volume cap on Europeans models, no?

Can we re-flash the nand like the PSP then?

Or can we, install a A81x firmware on a A8x...? Thanks

Who cares, A80x/A81x is loud enough. Just enjoy it as it is. Any louder and it would blow your ear drums.

Hello guys,

i confirm i bought my nwz-a815 in France and these on is on "spset:on" and the sound pressure is a piece of shit, it's a shame.

Compared with my nw-s703 bought in Portugal the sound is poor, on the 703 with the avls ON the sound pressure is most powerful than the 815.

Please give me a topic to turn off the sound limiter.

Mister Sony it's the last time I buy a Sony product in France...

Sucks to be in France. You will need to import from Japan, UK, USA.

On a side note, people ought to have the facts first before they make claims on a public forum. It can be confusing and disheartening for some of us who buy a product based on the posts here, only to find it doesn't perform as expected.

If you use NW-A80X

1. Turn Power On.

2. Hold "Back" until the home menu appears.

3. Set "Hold" on

4. While holding down the "Option" button, press Up-Right-Down-Left-Up-Play-Up-"Right"-Down-"Left"-Up-Play

5. Set "Hold" off

You can change SPS and DEST.

If you use NW-A80X or NW-A82X or NW-A91X or NW-S61XF or NW-S71XF or NWZ-XXXX

1. Turn Power On.

2. Hold "Back" until the home menu appears.

3. Set "Hold" on

4. While holding down the "Option" button, press Up-Down-Left-Right-Play-Play

5. Set "Hold" off

You can enable or disable DEMO Mode.

Thanks for the tip :)

But on the french model, changing DEST & Sp set values won't affect output volume (still capped).

Besides, in the service manual, it is mentionned that resistor values are different (higher value, e.g. R107 or R207) for the model available in France (CEW model).

It would mean that walkmen (in France, of course) is hard-capped :(

Edited by l'ange

Thanks for the tip :)

But on the french model, changing DEST & Sp set values won't affect output volume (still capped).

Besides, in the service manual, it is mentionned that resistor values are different (higher value, e.g. R107 or R207) for the model available in France (CEW model).

It would mean that walkmen (in France, of course) is hard-capped :(

Wow, this is a massive downer for all French buyers.

Next time order from mp3-player.de. They offer competitive prices and shipping is not too expensive to France.

There has to be a way to to get rid of that stupid limitation.

I bought my A816 because of all the great reviews it was getting from everywhere just to see that there is a stupid limitation if you buy it in France.

Well too bad but I'm french...

I really hope someone will find a way to hack this.

And just for comparison's sake, at what volume do you set your a81x to get some decent volume with the stock phones? (for the ones who have an "unlocked" a81x of course)

And just for comparison's sake, at what volume do you set your a81x to get some decent volume with the stock phones? (for the ones who have an "unlocked" a81x of course)

I have the 808 (same as 818 but with SS/Atrac) and with the stock phones I had the volume set around 22/25 since isolation was really poor due to the design of them. The sound was nice, but lack of isolation really let them down.

With my Denon C700s, I set the volume to around 15/18 and it is plenty loud enough. If you have the European limiter on yours, it might be worth investing in some decent isolating earphones/headphones to get some extra volume out of it.

FOR THE FRENCH people:

Download and install the JAPANESE FW

In the DEST AND SPSet CHOOSE US INSTEAD OF FR so you can set them OFF.

In the walkman classic menu if you got english menu you can just turn it to French in the language menu WITHOUT losing the volume hack you just did :)

Cheers!

JAPANESE FW DOWNLOAD

Edited by vegetaleb

I have a NW-A805 and YES after this manipulation you win about 25% volume,the bass is much louder and there are not any losed quality!!!!

You can now use your walkman in the metro or bus in Paris :) :)

Do you think it will work on tube/subway and bus in other cities too??? :D

Hello everybody,

do you think it'll possible to upload the nwz-A815 firmware like on the nw-A805 series?

And what about the nw-S703? I've bought a french model on ebay and compared to my last nw-S703 bought in Portugal the sound level it's a shame!

Guest Stuge

Hello everybody,

do you think it'll possible to upload the nwz-A815 firmware like on the nw-A805 series?

No ,you can't Upload firmware of A815 ----> A805 .both are different models .