SS and Vista

Rate this topic

aob9

I have done a search on this forum on members experiences with Vista. I know 4.3 is supposed to have solved compatibility issues but I am having some problems. SS is using a huge amount of resources when active, my CPU is dancing all over the place and transfers are stalling. Even when a transfer is successful it takes 'forever' to complete. Also. pop up boxes close as quick as I open them ( I cannot get to click on an option).

Does anybody have any experience on what these problems are all about. My PC is new and as clean as a whistle, so I doubt there are problems with my system.

I have done a search on this forum on members experiences with Vista. I know 4.3 is supposed to have solved compatibility issues but I am having some problems. SS is using a huge amount of resources when active, my CPU is dancing all over the place and transfers are stalling. Even when a transfer is successful it takes 'forever' to complete. Also. pop up boxes close as quick as I open them ( I cannot get to click on an option).Does anybody have any experience on what these problems are all about. My PC is new and as clean as a whistle, so I doubt there are problems with my system.

I've recently switched to Vista too, (using SS 4.3) and haven't noticed any lag in transfers, or anything that didn't already occur with XP.

But, strangely I have noticed that when renaming an album on the player when it's plugged in (rather than renaming it in the library) can cause freezing. This has happened each time I've renamed an album. Yesterday, SS hung for over 20 minutes, so I shut down SS, used the 'safely remove hardware' icon - and found I had 'NO DATA'.

I plugged it back in and it recreated the database but I was worried for a minute. Now I'll make sure to rename everything in the library rather than on the player. I haven't looked at CPU but I'll check today as I have more transfers to do.

I've also found that album art takes an age to transfer!!

I wonder if SS4.4 ( released in Japan) solves any Vista issues. I fear Sony may leave us high and dry now that ATRAC is no longer featured in the newer players ( ex. Japan).

To be honest I replaced my broken HD3 with a Creative Zen last week. I have sacrificed sound quality for a much more customer focused service.

I wonder if SS4.4 ( released in Japan) solves any Vista issues. I fear Sony may leave us high and dry now that ATRAC is no longer featured in the newer players ( ex. Japan).

To be honest I replaced my broken HD3 with a Creative Zen last week. I have sacrificed sound quality for a much more customer focused service.

Oh thanks for the SS 4.4 news. I didnt' even know they released it; it must have been at most a week old, since I checked like 2 weeks ago for newer version. Anyways, I am going to download it now.

Yes, that's a real worry. I spent what seemed like forever (fairly recently) re-ripping 130 CDs to Atrac (originally in wma) because I thought it would help extend battery life!!

A lot of them are compilations of albums from the same artist (within one album) so it's not just a case of re-ripping them - I'd have to remake all the compilations again.

I was tempted to get the A919 until someone confirmed it couldn't display an English menu.

Yes, that's a real worry. I spent what seemed like forever (fairly recently) re-ripping 130 CDs to Atrac (originally in wma) because I thought it would help extend battery life!!

A lot of them are compilations of albums from the same artist (within one album) so it's not just a case of re-ripping them - I'd have to remake all the compilations again.

I was tempted to get the A919 until someone confirmed it couldn't display an English menu.

Hey Juli,

It seems like Sony is dropping ATRAC outside of Japan. I would rather encode those music in AAC, since AAC is not going anywhere (in my opinion AAC is better than MP3 in terms of sound quality). If you want the best possible battery life out of your player, I would use Linear PCM (and best sound quality at the same time).

f you want the best possible battery life out of your player, I would use Linear PCM (and best sound quality at the same time).

Hi Zizone - is PCM the equivalent of WAV, ie; lossless? The reason I never use it is because I found that 352kbps shortened my battery life quite considerably, so I assumed PCM (lossless?) would kill it altogether!

Hi Zizone - is PCM the equivalent of WAV, ie; lossless? The reason I never use it is because I found that 352kbps shortened my battery life quite considerably, so I assumed PCM (lossless?) would kill it altogether!

Regular audio CD one would find in stores with stereo tracks are stored using 16-bit PCM coding at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate per channel.

Audios stored in CDs use Red Book audio. WAV files and CDs both encode songs in PCM; anyways, WAV is considered lossless since no data is compressed as far as I know. Because data is not compressed, there is no need for uncompressing data, which would consume more power thus shortens the battery life. So, linear PCM (WAV) would deliver the same sound as CDs with using less battery.

Oh, and WAV should have 1411.2 kbps.

I hope this helps and anyone who finds my information is incorrect, please correct me. Thanks.

Edited by Zizone

• 5 months later...

I cant even get SS 4.3 to run on either vist or xp, i have a great walkman the nw-e015 but im stuck with the software an no way of putting music on it...

well that is obviously a fault in your system not in SS. you have to do a little housekeeping and then do a clean SS install.

• 3 weeks later...