A question for Sony NWZ-S516 users

Rate this question

Ryker

Question

Hi!

This is my first post here, as I've registered just a minute ago, because I'm having some problems (or maybe they aren't, that is yet to be seen) with my Sony NWZ-S516 mp3 player. So I have 2 question for fellow users of this device.

The first one is this. When I plug in my mp3 player, everything works like it should, the problem is, though, it doesn't show in that green arrow icon, that's used for "safe removing" and pops up, when you plug in a USB device. So there's no way to safely remove my mp3 player. Does anyone else have this problem? Like I said, everything else works fine, but I'm afraid of harming the device, if I unplug it just like that ("Connecting USB" is what's on the player's screen through the whole time the player's plugged in, unless I'm transferring data, when it says "Don't disconnect").

And the second question regards the battery. When I'm in My Computer and I right click on the "Walkman" (that's my NWZ-S516) and choose properties, a windows appears and in that window there's also a battery shown in green, but by it, it says 80%. So I'm wondering, how does it not state 100%, since I've only owned the player for a few days. Does that mean that the battery isn't as it should be? I mean, I've tested the player and the battery held on for around 26 hours (I had headphones removed, but also had the equalizer on "on" and some other settings that weren't as those, that they use it to test the battery strength, which is 33hrs), so that's pretty good time, almost as stated. But still, I kind of have a feeling all isn't as it should be, since the battery shown on the player falls on 3/4 really quickly, much quicker than it need to fall from there to 1/2 or from there to 1/4. So can anyone, using the same or similar player, tell me, whether that's normal or does it show 100% for you and the battery indicator falls evenly, like it should?

Maybe I am overworried, but I would still be grateful for any feedback.

Oh, and what benefits do I have from registering as a user on Sony's website?

Thanks in advance,

Ryker

Edited by Ryker

7 answers to this question

Hi!

The first one is this. When I plug in my mp3 player, everything works like it should, the problem is, though, it doesn't show in that green arrow icon, that's used for "safe removing" and pops up, when you plug in a USB device. So there's no way to safely remove my mp3 player.

And the second question regards the battery.I kind of have a feeling all isn't as it should be, since the battery shown on the player falls on 3/4 really quickly, much quicker than it need to fall from there to 1/2 or from there to 1/4.

Maybe I am overworried, but I would still be grateful for any feedback.

Oh, and what benefits do I have from registering as a user on Sony's website?

I have the S616 version and yep you are overworried. You can unplug the player safely as long as it doesn't say "Don't Disconnect" message on the screen so no worries there. About the battery...that can vary. It depends on the bit rate, which audio format is used, brightness setting, if equalizer, clear stereo/bass, dynamic normalizer, DSEE...and if other stuff are used or not. The battery is very good in my opinion but I grew used to the 50 hour battery of Sony's past MP3 players (such as E505 and S705F) so I miss that feature. Relax and enjoy the great battery/sound your dap is providing to you. About the registering benefits I don't know because I've never registered mine lol.

Thanks for the fast reply. Could you check, when you have the time, though, what it says when you right click on properties (where it says 80% for mine), since I have this strange feeling regarding the battery. Also, when I was charging the battery to full, it was "full" in about 2 hours, when it says it should be in 3hrs for full and 1,5hrs for 80%. So yeah, there's all kinds of conclusions running in my head due to these 2 "coincidences".

Edited by Ryker

Thanks for the fast reply. Could you check, when you have the time, though, what does it say when you right click on properties (where it says 80% for mine), since I have this strange feeling regarding the battery. And I tried charging the battery to full and it was "full" in about 2 hours, when it says it should be 3hrs for full and 1,5hrs for 80%. So yeah, there's all kinds of conclusions running in my head due to these 2 "coincidences".

Mine says 100% cuz...well I charged it through the PS3 while copying songs to the dap (and don't trust Windows, trust the player's indicator, that's why it's there). Those are approximate times to charge the battery and can also vary due to humidity, temperature and that stuff. I'm sure your unit isn't malfunctioning.

Oh, OK then. Mine says 80% through the whole charging process, even when it says full on the player, so I kind of figured that that indicator may be indicating the battery's overall condition and not the current fullness of the battery.

Well if you feel like it could be malfunctioning you can always change it at the store. I for one never used Properties on Windows to check up the battery so this was something new for me, but I'm sure your player's okay.

Well, yeah, you've kind of reassured me, so hopefully everything IS okay with my mp3 player. I doubt that they'd exchange the mp3 player just because it says 80% there, though. Oh, do you perhaps have any experiences with exchangin/buying the new battery, when the old one starts to lose it's efectiveness?

Well, yeah, you've kind of reassured me, so hopefully everything IS okay with my mp3 player. I doubt that they'd exchange the mp3 player just because it says 80% there, though. Oh, do you perhaps have any experiences with exchangin/buying the new battery, when the old one starts to lose it's efectiveness?

No, my old E507 which is about 3 years old still works like a charm and the battery still lasts as advertised in 2005.