NWZ-A82x-series (4, 8, 16 GB)

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/sony-nw...dp-hit-the-fcc/

That is the link.

Reading one of the pdfs, it states from january 12th

"the applicant requests the following documents contained in this certification application to be temporarily withheld from public disclosure for an initial period of 45 days:

external photos

internal photos

test setup photos

users manual

Meaning that february 26th might be the day we get more information regarding the new unit :P or perhaps earlier. There is an image of the back of the unit and it seems to be similar to the current 81x series with some differences.

post-3550-1134744403_thumb.jpg

Mainly that the reset button is on the back of the unit, using the diagram as reference, the device should be 86 to 87mm tall and 46 to 47mm wide. give or take half a mm. In addition it seems that the head phone jack is on the side now? now the bottom.

There appears to be 3 models on the way:

826 - 4 GB

828 - 8 GB

829 - 16 GB

headphones appear to be the same EX82 with an extension cable of 1.5 m, it also appears to have bluetooth. That's all I could get out of the documents.

link to FCC site

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...'AK8NWZA820

• Answers 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Juli, thanks for posting this. 16GB is enough for most people, I think, but with the 32GB Ipod Touch just out, I can see that some may say it's not enough. I wonder what the cost will be? Exciting news!

Yeah, you're right. I think 16GB should be fine for the majority of people. I only have around 11GB of music on the Zune (that's not all my music, it's just what I wanted on the player) - so I'm 3GB over capacity for the 808. But 11GB = 1200 songs which is a HUGE amount for me. Another 5GB on top of that would be about another 500 songs, making 1600 in total. Any more than that would be way too much for me to keep in 'touch' with. And I like to be really selective about what gets on the player. That way I never have to 'skip'!!

Re: the iPod Touch. I was at the hairdressers a couple of weeks ago and the guy sitting next to me was using one and I really wanted to say:

"Can I touch your Touch?" but he didn't look very friendly so I didn't :lol:

But it looked absolutely beautiful. The colours were so vivid and the screen was like something out of a fairy tale. Soooo pretty.

Anyway, I consoled myself with the thought that it (apparently) doesn't have great sound quality - and it's not a Sony!

Edited by juli

Yeah, you're right. I think 16GB should be fine for the majority of people. I only have around 11GB of music on the Zune (that's not all my music, it's just what I wanted on the player) - so I'm 3GB over capacity for the 808. But 11GB = 1200 songs which is a HUGE amount for me. Another 5GB on top of that would be about another 500 songs, making 1600 in total. Any more than that would be way too much for me to keep in 'touch' with. And I like to be really selective about what gets on the player. That way I never have to 'skip'!!

Re: the iPod Touch. I was at the hairdressers a couple of weeks ago and the guy sitting next to me was using one and I really wanted to say:

"Can I touch your Touch?" but he didn't look very friendly so I didn't :lol:

But it looked absolutely beautiful. The colours were so vivid and the screen was like something out of a fairy tale. Soooo pretty.

Anyway, I consoled myself with the thought that it (apparently) doesn't have great sound quality - and it's not a Sony!

Juli

you have a Zune, a A808, and I take it your in the market for this new DAP? You'll have cornered the market :lol:

LOL!!! I'd planned to sell the Zune as soon as the 16GB Sony was out. I have 2 of those Sony speaker cradles so the 808 can 'retire' to the cradles without me having to remove the case every time!

As for the Zune, it's not nearly as user-friendly (in my opinion) as the Sony. The Sony is so much faster ('cos it's flash based I guess) but everything about the Sony is geared towards getting where you want FAST! The only complaint I'd have about the 'Z' series are the things people have already mentioned - no gapless, no playlists on the go etc etc - but hey, it's 16GB and that's more than enough to hold all that I want.

I won't make a decision about the Zune just yet - as if I ever buy one of those a/v docks. I can hook it up to the stereo which will be very useful!

I wonder what the Sony's going to cost? I'm going to guess it will cost at least £220 in the UK. The 808 cost £200 at Amazon when it was first stocked less than a year ago. I can't see the 16GB version being less than £220 initialy???

Anyway, I just found out that Amazon have a pricing policy whereby if you buy a product that gets reduced within 30 days of buying it (always happens to me!) - they will refund the difference so that's useful to know! But they don't refund automatically, you have to go through the 'help' section.

So who's going to buy the 16GB immediately??????

It seems ATRACLIFE is dead :sad:

I loved it...now i have to read about Sony in Sony-haters site: engadget

I know, it's sad isn't it to read about it in that horrible Sony-bashing site.

Why no announcements here? THIS is the site where we should find out everything first. It's crazy. Who wants to find out stuff from engadget? And how come they know everything first? Atraclife is dead but for the wonderful and knowledgeable members on here. It's them that keeps it alive.

Thank God for everyone on here - at least we share the news that we find out from other strange alien sites!

I think I can pass this one as well.Until sony comes up with something great I'm not buying their gears now .

Ok shape is nice ,but Sony is known for its nice and new designs.What are they doing ?Looks like SONY has fired their Walkman designers .So,My last hope is also gone and I guess now I will have to buy a Cowon .:(

Look what i found here ;)

http://moveplayer.tistory.com/594

maybe that is what we are looking foreward to ;)

Maybe just without SonicStage, ATRAC and NoiceCancelling..

If my dreams come true - it's without ATRAC and SonicStage (i like both - but i will not realesed in EU and US) - but with NC!

Woha oO

NC, Bluetooth, 16GB - Best Player on the Market..

Here the translated text:

Sony has recently received FCC certification NWZ NW-A910-A820 series is Japan's version of the series was released in the world. NW-A910 series is'1 Seg (wonsegeu) 'display is 2.4 inches and mounted on the top selling products is Sony's specifications MP3P. NW-A910 is currently being sold only in Japanese support, and only within Japan. The World Series is the product NWZ A820-released version of the existing A910, and almost the same size and design, Bluetooth 2.0, noise - and the ability kaenseulring reportedly mounted. NWZ-A820-A826 series is NWZ, NWZ-A828, A829-NWZ 4/8/16GB three, respectively. A800 (A810), when you come to look at the sales period March 4 to be held in Hanover, Germany, is highly likely to be disclosed in CEBIT2008.

So it looks like it truely has NC!

Edited by Haijuki

I think I can pass this one as well.Until sony comes up with something great I'm not buying their gears now .

Ok shape is nice ,but Sony is known for its nice and new designs.What are they doing ?Looks like SONY has fired their Walkman designers .So,My last hope is also gone and I guess now I will have to buy a Cowon .:(

Well, they haven't released NWZ-A820 design yet. Only thing that people know for sure was one scatch of rear view from FCC.

So, who knows how it will look like from front and side? Or did you mean that you wanted to see a shape other than rectangle?

or have they released a pic and I just totally missed it...

Edit:

Ahh now I saw the pic but is it official?... I see where you are coming from now Stuge, and I do agree with you on some points. :)

Edited by Zizone

Look what i found here ;)

http://moveplayer.tistory.com/594

maybe that is what we are looking foreward to ;)

Maybe just without SonicStage, ATRAC and NoiceCancelling..

If my dreams come true - it's without ATRAC and SonicStage (i like both - but i will not realesed in EU and US) - but with NC!

Woha oO

NC, Bluetooth, 16GB - Best Player on the Market..

The link you have there, says that it does have built-in NC. Also, it's showing NC earphone.

But, I am not sure if it is official spec though...

If Sony decides to release with NC, then the price will be higher compared to others; I hope they won't received criticisms liked happened for NW-S700 series in US. Because people only look at storae size but not at NC for price.

Edited by Zizone

NC would be nice but in the end, not something the average user will need.

If history is anything to go buy, there is limited chance canada will even get the 16 GB model, since we got ripped on the 8 gig A81x models.

the specs from engadget look weak, a larger screen is nice but if gapless and on the go playlists are missing then it will be something I will not get anytime soon.

I merged the 2 threads together. In the end if it looks like the A900, I will be disappointed.

I just added the text's translation.

It is written that the NWZ-A820 series is a modification of Japanese NW-A900 series.

Let me come to the result it has NC ..

It also says that its going to be published on CeBit here in Germany.. maybe i should go there :P

Let us know more when you know more. This has become like a mystery thriller now!!

If it's like the 919, then the shape wouldn't be like the 808 as the 919 is bigger and chunkier.

It sounds silly, but it looked like the 808/818 from the specs on the back. And if the new screen is 1/2 inch bigger, how come the unit is not 1/2 inch bigger. The specs show only about 2mm maximum difference in length (I will go back and check in case I've got the measurements wrong).

Will it have the same sound chip as the previous series? Or will it have the 919 sound chip. . . questions questions. . . and no Sony to answer us!

Did I read correctly that this new model won't be released to the EU or to the US??????

Edited by juli

I just added the text's translation.

It is written that the NWZ-A820 series is a modification of Japanese NW-A900 series.

Let me come to the result it has NC ..

It also says that its going to be published on CeBit here in Germany.. maybe i should go there :P

Let me clarify the translation a bit.

It's the argument the site is making that NWZ-A820 series is the international version derived from NWA-910 for having built-in Noise Canceling function (NC), and similar frontal design with larger screen but with additional function, blutooth.

The site says that there is high chance that Sony will show NWZ-A820 series in Germany considering the sale time (release date) of the Walkman (may I point out that I mentioned this few days ago? :D ).

-My persnal thoughts:

I expect NWZ-A820 series to be much thinner compared to NW-A910 series since the former does not have this TV function. Considering the thickness of NW-S700 series, it could be pretty thin.

The player will be release in Europe and N. America but I don't know about in Japan... (maybe NW-A820 instead of NWZ?).

Also, if the price comes to be an issue for those who don't give much credit for built-in NC (as happened for NW-S700 series) maybe Sony might release NWZ-A820 without NC.

Edited by Zizone

All I want is more space (storage), support to FLAC (a must, since mp3 quality sucks), and be cheaper.

Btw, OLED sucks, since it only last for like 6 months.

Gradius

at least it supports linear PCM (which is most important for me) unlike e.g. Samsung P2 which supports neither PCM nor FLAC (or anyother lossless).

The price is not out yet, since so many people don't care about NC (especially in US), which drives up price, I think US will get one without it.

Also, NWZ-A820 uses LCD; I think you were referring to previous comment but... just wanted to clarify it since I found some people were confused about it (also does not use SonicStage).

Edited by Zizone

More photos here:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-bluet...the-ipod-touch/

Ok after looking at the new series for a while, I don't know what to think. The kick stand is good for watching movies yes, but somehow not sure I would want it if I bought it. The thinness is great not sure on the materials it is made out of since the bottom 1/4 looks to be metal and the top 3/4 seems to be plastic which will be a fingerprint magnet, and possibly scratch.

Noise cancelling is nice and something most players out there don't have but it isn't needed in the US or EU markets. Bluetooth is nice but then I don't think I'll have use for it. I like that the hold button is on the side and not on the back.

Finally the buttons on the front, the play/pause button is fine, but it has a sony ericsson like feel and look to it. the arrow keys are way too small and getting used to them might be hard.

As for now from these pictures and the specs so far I am not too impressed. Sure 16 GB would be nice, but the design, probably price and/or avaliability here and specs just don't warrent me getting a new mp3 player when I just bought my 818.

press release from PRWeb.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/sonys-n...ding-to-europe/

more pictures here

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...220%2Fsony1.htm

interesting note, this is the second A series walkman with Noise cancelling,(the 900 being the first to my knowledge) reason I mention this is most NC walkmans were S models.

Sorry to sound like a broken record - but do we know, or will we know if these new models might just might play gapless????

I know there's no Atrac - but still wonder if gapless might be one of the features as it's quite a different model (visually anyway) to the 8xx series, so I thought maybe, just maybe - it might have slightly different specs as well.

I have to say it looks exactly like the A919, which I thought nobody liked!! I don't need bluetooth or n/c either, but I really do need gapless - and from all the research I've done, the only other player with sq on par with the Sony, ( and gapless, crossfade. on-the-fly playlists etc) seems to be the Trekstor Vibez. But it has the tiniest screen and I've been spoiled by the bigger. clearer easy-to-read Sony screen.

And of course battery life. The Vibez doesn't even have half of the Sony battery life.

Edited by juli

I like the noise-cancelling and all... but is that player white or silver? It would have been better if they released a blue or silver one (non-limited) without the ugly orange logo right in the middle. That is what is killing the design imo for the moment.

Also, when are they going to release something similar to the NW-S70x or NW-E4/5x? I like the perfume bottle design, more ergonomic than this rectangle slab. I want all the features without video?

Well, looking at the pictures, ( which to my eyes are very sexy) I have to say that I'm in the market for this (16GB, in Black)

BUT, I won't be rushing to get one, unless the price is right ( if they are going for 220 GBP, I'll have to think again) Not bothered about NC, (and according to Markey i won't have the option here in the UK) and the need for gapless play back isn't an essential item for me. Ditto for blue tooth.

Well, looking at the pictures, ( which to my eyes are very sexy) I have to say that I'm in the market for this (16GB, in Black)

BUT, I won't be rushing to get one, unless the price is right ( if they are going for 220 GBP, I'll have to think again) Not bothered about NC, (and according to Markey i won't have the option here in the UK) and the need for gapless play back isn't an essential item for me. Ditto for blue tooth.

Well, as you all know, I was bemoaning the lack of gapless like a nagging old crone - when I suddenly had an epiphany!!. . . ok, not an epiphany exactly, but a bloody good idea all the same. I only have around 20 gapless albums, so if I copy them as one continuous track on a standalone CD recorder - and then rip the CD, it will be gapless. I'll have 'gapless' playback :wave:

Of course, it won't be so easy for someone with a really large collecion of gapless albums, but for me, the amount is no problem.

I can't believe I didn't think of this idea before. I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy now!

Where is it, when can I buy it, how much is it, what does it sound like. . . :lol:

Edited by juli

Also, when are they going to release something similar to the NW-S70x or NW-E4/5x? I like the perfume bottle design, more ergonomic than this rectangle slab. I want all the features without video?

They have also released a new E series line. Here's the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/sony-ge...eries-walkmans/

These new models have interchangeable "shells" to change the look of the device. Also note the display will handle cover art. I take it that the version released in Japan will have SS but it won't be included for releases beyond.

LuLu

I just looked at SonyStyle Europe (to pre-order) and it doesn't show up at all. I searched for it in the search function but it returned no results, and when I checked out 'what's new' - it wasn't listed there either. It's as if the 82x doesn't exist?

Has anyone got a link to be able to pre-order it? Thanks

I just looked at SonyStyle Europe (to pre-order) and it doesn't show up at all. I searched for it in the search function but it returned no results, and when I checked out 'what's new' - it wasn't listed there either. It's as if the 82x doesn't exist?

Has anyone got a link to be able to pre-order it? Thanks

Julie, why not call a local Sony Centre to see if they are stocking it. I would, but am at work at the moment :)

Julie, why not call a local Sony Centre to see if they are stocking it. I would, but am at work at the moment :)

Markey, I just got off the phone to Lorraine at Sonystyle UK and she said they are not stocking the new series until SEPTEMBER!!

Not only that, but she said it wasn't available on the Sony US site yet either.

I told her we'd seen the photos etc and assumed that the release date was close, so she asked me to send her any links of Sony sites claiming to have it in stock - and she also said this info was supposed to be secret, (about the Sony, not the conversation!!)

So seven months to wait?? I am a balloon that has just been pricked :sad:

Markey, I just got off the phone to Lorraine at Sonystyle UK and she said they are not stocking the new series until SEPTEMBER!!

I told her we'd seen the photos etc and assumed that the release date was close, so she asked me to send her any links of Sony sites claiming to have it in stock - and she also said this info was supposed to be secret, (about the Sony, not the conversation!!)

As I said in an earlier post, "Sony is teasing us". I'll give some credit to Apple. At least when they announce a product it's on the shelves the following day.

I reckon these will be on the shelves in a lot less than seven months. March or maybe April I would imagine. I'm sure they did this with the NW-A80x series this time last year. They do it to get us fanboys and girls all worked up.

Edited by markey

I reckon these will be on the shelves in a lot less than seven months. March or maybe April I would imagine. I'm sure they did this with the NW-A80x series this time last year. They do it to get us fanboys and girls all worked up.

I just got an e-mail back from the woman at SonyStyle. I sent her the link that stated the new models would be in Europe by April, and this is what she said:

Dear Juli, Attached link is displaying incorrect image, the new product is launching in the UK April – NWZA826KB.CE7 (4gb) and the NWZA828KB.CE7 (8GB) only available in black with Bluetooth headphones. Currently the 16GB will not be available in the UK.

So we won't be getting the 16GB at all???

I just got an e-mail back from the woman at SonyStyle. I sent her the link that stated the new models would be in Europe by April, and this is what she said:

So we won't be getting the 16GB at all???

How strange??? Why then does the Sony UK website show all models as being available here in the UK? I guess we will have to wait and see :mellow:

How strange??? Why then does the Sony UK website show all models as being available here in the UK? I guess we will have to wait and see :mellow:

But the Sony UK website doesn't show them as available. I checked it earlier and nothing came up under the new models.

She asked me to send her a Sony link to show it was actually Sony who were claiming it was in stock, but of course I couldn't send her anything because the link came from somewhere else, not Sony.

What's stranger is that Sony had decided those of us in the UK don't want a 16GB version. . . why else aren't we getting one?

you cannot take the yen prices and convert them to USD, this is not a good idea. The NWZ-A81x models were a lot cheaper than there japanese counterparts so I would say the same is due for the new 82x units.

NC will probably be not included in the NA and EU models since it isn't something that the players of competitors have. It is possible that no 16 GB model willl be sold here in Canada, why not sure, probably price, the 8 gb 818 wasn't sold here either.

Gradius the units use flash not hdd, sony has abondoned hdd, this was a move with the first 800 series. Juli, just wait a month for the official debut at cebit or maybe sony will decide to release info on monday.

until I see more real info on what the NWz-A829 can do, I'll skip it's purchase and hold onto my 818. Sony had so much momentum with the 81x series but now the introduction of the 82x really somehow isn't that much of a step forward. :/