NWZ-A82x-series (4, 8, 16 GB)

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/sony-nw...dp-hit-the-fcc/

That is the link.

Reading one of the pdfs, it states from january 12th

"the applicant requests the following documents contained in this certification application to be temporarily withheld from public disclosure for an initial period of 45 days:

external photos

internal photos

test setup photos

users manual

Meaning that february 26th might be the day we get more information regarding the new unit :P or perhaps earlier. There is an image of the back of the unit and it seems to be similar to the current 81x series with some differences.

post-3550-1134744403_thumb.jpg

Mainly that the reset button is on the back of the unit, using the diagram as reference, the device should be 86 to 87mm tall and 46 to 47mm wide. give or take half a mm. In addition it seems that the head phone jack is on the side now? now the bottom.

There appears to be 3 models on the way:

826 - 4 GB

828 - 8 GB

829 - 16 GB

headphones appear to be the same EX82 with an extension cable of 1.5 m, it also appears to have bluetooth. That's all I could get out of the documents.

link to FCC site

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...'AK8NWZA820

• Answers 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

But the Sony UK website doesn't show them as available. I checked it earlier and nothing came up under the new models.

She asked me to send her a Sony link to show it was actually Sony who were claiming it was in stock, but of course I couldn't send her anything because the link came from somewhere else, not Sony.

What's stranger is that Sony had decided those of us in the UK don't want a 16GB version. . . why else aren't we getting one?

Julie, I think that when you spoke to this lady it was a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. She probably didn't have a clue. From the look of the UK site we will be getting all models. Send her the link :)

Edited by markey

Julie, I think that when you spoke to this lady it was a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. She probably didn't have a clue. From the look of the UK site we will be gatting all models. Send her the link :)

Typically Sony then. If the staff haven't got a scooby about their latest product, what chance do the rest of us have. The one thing I can't understand is why Sony only allow a couple of months betwenn new DAPs. I mean, how long has the A81XX series been on the Market. Two or three months? Saying that I'm excited about this news. waiting for Juli to post Pictorial soon :lol:

Now note that the A80x range is now an older previous model. So no more ATRAC units for the UK or rest of World outside of Japan.

markey, I've just sent her that link although the link you put up didn't take me to the actual model.

So to make sure she sees the actual photo and details for herself - I sent her the link below.

I would like to know what the nest response will be.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...ry=NWS+A+Series

EDIT: I just looked on the SonyStyle Europe site and can't see the new models listed there.

https://www.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/...rmstandard)/.do

Edited by juli

markey, I've just sent her that link although the link you put up didn't take me to the actual model.

So to make sure she sees the actual photo and details for herself - I sent her the link below.

I would like to know what the nest response will be.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...ry=NWS+A+Series

EDIT: I just looked on the SonyStyle Europe site and can't see the new models listed there.

https://www.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/...rmstandard)/.do

Sony and SonyStyle are two seperate entities. SonyStyle is a retailer :)

Edited by markey

I'm confused. Do these devices have noice cancelling? I have seen a photo on Engadget i think that had a switch on the top for NC and another photo that had NC headphones. But the ones on the UK Sony site seem to not include NC. I can't tell from the Sony Japan site either. Anyone have any definite specs etc?

ok, heres the way i read it. can some one confimr these points if they know?

1) the 820 is a derivative of the jap 919 player sans the dbt video reciever.

2) for sound quality and chipsets, it is more akin to the 919. this is important as sound quality is very important after being totally underwhelmed by the sony phones sound quality. i dont want the 820 to turn out to be a sony phone style chipset!

3) the 820 in japan has atrac and uses sonic stage.

4) the uk/us models lose atrac but gain drag and drop.

5) the uk/us models lose noise cancelling.

6) the uk/us models lose line in recording which is listed on the jap site as it says it records in atrac and the transferes back are via sonicstage an uk/us models do not do sonicstage/atrac.

7) both the US/Uk and jap models have bluetooth.

8) transferes to and from are still via the wm port and connot be done over the air via bluetooth

9) us/uk units will not be gapless as there is no TOC written to allow this see my earlier theroies on this)

10) video in recording is retained in all terratories but only possible via the base unit.

11) line in recording can/cannot be possible via the base unit (does any one know?)

12) how would noise cancelling work with a blue tooth headphone?

thanks in advance.

i am very excited by this player and LOVE drag and drop, but i will have to give up line in recording ( important for me as i record my dj sets) and noise cancelling if i want to keep that feature. its a tough choice!

since audio quality is a concern for me, i am very worried about the bluetooth headsets re encoding to trans mit over bluetooth. i mean bluetooth headphones cannot decode wav, aac, wma etc and bluetooth does not offer enough bandwidth for a wav signal to be sent so it must be re encoding and already compressed AAc/WMA file to transmit within the 400kbs or so bandwdth offered by bluetooth.

thanks again for any help!

you cannot take the yen prices and convert them to USD, this is not a good idea. The NWZ-A81x models were a lot cheaper than there japanese counterparts so I would say the same is due for the new 82x units.

NC will probably be not included in the NA and EU models since it isn't something that the players of competitors have. It is possible that no 16 GB model willl be sold here in Canada, why not sure, probably price, the 8 gb 818 wasn't sold here either.

Gradius the units use flash not hdd, sony has abondoned hdd, this was a move with the first 800 series. Juli, just wait a month for the official debut at cebit or maybe sony will decide to release info on monday.

until I see more real info on what the NWz-A829 can do, I'll skip it's purchase and hold onto my 818. Sony had so much momentum with the 81x series but now the introduction of the 82x really somehow isn't that much of a step forward. :/

I know those units don't use HDD, I meant Sony should (at such price) use it.

Btw, I'm after NW-A829 unit, lossless is a must for me folowing by storage capacity.

Spec:

MP3/ WMA* 1/ ATRAC/ ATRAC Advanced Lossless/ linear PCM/ AAC* 1/ HE-AAC

MP3

32 - 320kbps (variable bit rate (VBR) correspondence)

Sampling frequency* 2: 32, 44.1, 48kHz

WMA * 1

32 - 192kbps (variable bit rate (VBR) correspondence)

Sampling frequency* 2: 44.1kHz

ATRAC

48 - 352 kbps (66* 3/105* as for3 /132kbps ATRAC3)

Sampling frequency* 2: 44.1kHz

ATRAC Advanced Lossless* 4

64 - 352 kbps (as for 132 kbps ATRAC3 base layer)

Sampling frequency* 2: 44.1 KHz

Linear PCM

1411 kbps

AAC* 1

16 - 320kbps (variable bit rate (VBR) correspondence) * 5

Sampling frequency* 2: 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1,48kHz.

HE-AAC

32 - 128 kbps (variable bit rate (VBR) correspondence)

Video:

AVC (H.264/AVC)/MPEG-4

AVC (H.264/AVC)

Profile: Baseline Profile

Level: 1.2, 1.3

Bit rate: Maximum of 768 kbps

The number of frames: Maximum of 30 fps

Resolution: Maximum QVGA (320 x 240)

MPEG-4

Profile: Simple Profile

Bit rate: Maximum of 2,500 kbps

The number of frames: Maximum of 30 fps

Resolution: Maximum QVGA (320 x 240)

< Audio format >

AAC-LC

The number of channels: Maximum of channel 2

Sampling frequency: 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz

Bit rate: Per channel 1 maximum 288kbps

JPEG (Baseline)

Up to 4000 x 4000 pixels

LCD: 2.4" Type TFT color liquid crystal

Bluetooth and juice for until 36h (audio), 10h for video.

Gradius

Edited by Gradius

Yeah i'm on the fence too. Looking at video on youtube it looks like player still doesn't support playlist on fly or deleting songs from player & I assume if it could handle gapless that would have been promoted. Shame. main differences to 818 appear to be increased storage, bigger screen, & bluetooth. but guess we will have to wait and see.... ATRACLIFE blog... where are you??????????????????????????????????????

well, one thing that I really like about it is this direct recording function; probably need a cradle but still nice.

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/walkman/lineup.cfm?Series=A

click video and PCレスで

sony-nwz-a8201_15.jpg

Edited by Zizone

well, one thing that I really like about it is this direct recording function; probably need a cradle but still nice.

click video and PCレスで

sony-nwz-a8201_15.jpg

So you can record straight from your hifi in linear pcm via the cradle? Unit and cradle look awsome B)

So you can record straight from your hifi in linear pcm via the cradle? Unit and cradle look awsome B)

from: http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/walkman/product...&KM=NW-A829

it says...

it is possible to record "VIDEO" from TV, Camcorder, or DVD recorder WITHOUT using PC via VRC-NW10 (that cradle I think).

*record in analog mode (but still nice considering the size of screen, it will be hard to tell a difference from analog from digital).

If you use MEDIA MANAGER FOR WALKMAN (atleast for Japanese version, since I haven't read from non JP Sony site), you can transfer internet video from PC to your Walkman (MPEG-4, AVC(H.264/AVC) Baseline Profile).

*non-DRM only

I am also expecting that this Walkman will be compatible with previous cradle that works for NW-A810, NW-S700, NWZ-S620 series, because it supplies the adaptor that fits to the cradle like previous models.

side note: doesn't this NW/NWZ-820 has this MZ-RH1 feel to it??? :blink:

by the way, has anyone mentioned about new NW-E020 series?

Edited by Zizone

from: http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/walkman/product...&KM=NW-A829

it says...

it is possible to record "VIDEO" from TV, Camcorder, or DVD recorder WITHOUT using PC via VRC-NW10 (that cradle I think).

*record in analog mode (but still nice considering the size of screen, it will be hard to tell a difference from analog from digital).

If you use MEDIA MANAGER FOR WALKMAN (atleast for Japanese version, since I haven't read from non JP Sony site), you can transfer internet video from PC to your Walkman (MPEG-4, AVC(H.264/AVC) Baseline Profile).

*non-DRM only

side note: doesn't this NW/NWZ-820 has this MZ-RH1 feel to it??? :blink:

by the way, has anyone mentioned about new NW-E020 series?

Yes indeed, it does have that super slim minidisc look to it. I like the brushed aluminium on the front :)

Yes indeed, it does have that super slim minidisc look to it. I like the brushed aluminium on the front :)

I like the return of this aluminum thing from NW-A910 and NW/NWZ-A820 too.

Also, your avatar/picture is so funny :lol:

I like the return of this aluminum thing from NW-A910 and NW/NWZ-A820 too.

Also, your avatar/picture is so funny :lol:

You can't beat the look or feel of an aluminium/metal casing.

Yes, the avatar tickled me too when I first came upon it. A bit tripy too after a few beers lol.

Edited by markey

there's a price for the 16gig model on germany's sony site

its 319 euros (available/shipping in april i think), with bluetooth headphones, there is no model with normal headphones, although it comes with 2 pairs of headphones I think.

8 gig model normal headphones is 219 euros

4 gig model with bluetooth headphones I think is 219 euros

8 gig with bluetooth headphones is 269 euros

going by today's conversion rate, the 16 gb model would be 475 Canadian! insane, sad and pathetic! as was said in 300, this is madness!

Just Spoke to a Sales Rep in the Tottenham Court Road Sony Centre. He didn't even know about the new range. He said that once it appears on Sony's website it takes up to two months to hit the shelves. I reckon we are indeed looking at some time in April.

Just Spoke to a Sales Rep in the Tottenham Court Road Sony Centre. He didn't even know about the new range. He said that once it appears on Sony's website it takes up to two months to hit the shelves. I reckon we are indeed looking at some time in April.

markey, I got a reply back from Sony (in response to the link you posted) and her response was: "This may change"

So that says nothing.

By the way, when you said something about a retailer in one of my previous posts, did you mean I'd included a link from the wrong place, or that I'd sent the e-mail link to the wrong place? Either way, I guess maybe 'competent member' should be removed from under my name :)

juli

Personally I think she's just trying to keep you guessing. I read somewhere April and the guy in the shop said 1 to 2 months so I reckon April. They wouldn't put these new models op on their website and not release them for another eight months. She's talking rubbish.

No, I wasnt saying you didn't know what you were doing. I was just pointing out that the reason you couldn't find the new models on the Sonystyle site was because they are not part of Sony. Sony has it's own dedicated site which I provided the link to :)

No, I wasnt saying you didn't know what you were doing. I was just pointing out that the reason you couldn't find the new models on the Sonystyle site was because they are not part of Sony. Sony has it's own dedicated site which I provided the link to :)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :o

there's a price for the 16gig model on germany's sony site

its 319 euros (available/shipping in april i think), with bluetooth headphones, there is no model with normal headphones, although it comes with 2 pairs of headphones I think.

8 gig model normal headphones is 219 euros

4 gig model with bluetooth headphones I think is 219 euros

8 gig with bluetooth headphones is 269 euros

going by today's conversion rate, the 16 gb model would be 475 Canadian! insane, sad and pathetic! as was said in 300, this is madness!

Don´t worry about pricing right now. The euro is ridiculously strong these days. Prices will likely be as competitive as with the previous NWZ players (plus a small surcharge for bt).

What I really don´t like about these players is the continued omission of otg playlisting and rating. I have gathered these impressions watching the generation mp3 video on youtube.

You know, I feel that all these marginal improvements are really not enough. I am sure Sony has more daring concepts in its drawers but is bent on milking the current concepts.

ceres

On the way home from work, I came across a piece in my newspaper ( Daily Telegraph, I can't see a link to it on there website) It featured the 'street-style headphones', and mentions the 4 & 8 GB. No mention of 16GB, but it did say it should be in the shops by April!

Daily Telegraph hey! Had you down as a Sun reader Old skool :lol: The 16 gig is on the UK website. I would imagine we will get all sizes. What HiFi said April too.

Edited by markey

Daily Telegraph hey! Had you down as a Sun reader Old skool :lol: The 16 gig is on the UK website. I would imagine we will get all sizes. What HiFi said April too.

LOL!!! Don't tell anyone. Might spoil my street creed. For those who fancy a look at the new players:

I'm in Love ( Don't tell the wife :) )

Edited by Old skool D

LOL!!! Don't tell anyone. Might spoil my street creed. For those who fancy a look at the new players:

I'm in Love ( Don't tell the wife :) )

I'll second you on that. If the wife finds out, well lets just say I'll probably be able to join a choir or sing like a Bee Gee :lol:

Btw, I'll go for NW-A829, not NWZ one.

Gradius, are you in Japan? The 'A' series should have SonicStage/Atrac, but I wonder if it will only display a Japanese menu (like the A919.)

I guess if you're in Japan, it doesn't matter, but as the 'A' won't be released in the UK, we'll have no choice but to buy the model without Atrac/SS. . . unless we can read a Japanese menu - so that's me out :)

Edited by juli

Also watched the video. Am liking all the buttons down the side. Knowing Sony the Bluetooth will have it's limitations ie. transferring mp3's from say another unit or mobile/cell phone.

I'm embarrassed to say I know nothing about Bluetooth other than people can speak hands-free on the phone!

And don't laugh (OK, laugh) but is it something like a shorter range wireless thingybob?

I'm embarrassed to say I know nothing about Bluetooth other than people can speak hands-free on the phone!

And don't laugh (OK, laugh) but is it something like a shorter range wireless thingybob?

You MAY be able to sync via BT but I don´t think so as this would require capable syncing software. However, sending over individual songs could be feasible.

Otherwise for you and me, as I presume you are into high quality sound reproduction, bt is a gimmick.

I don´t want gimmicks. How about otg playlisting, ratings, gapless playback and better performance with high sensitivity IEMs?

I am going to stick to my 818 :unsure:

Ceres, when you say those who want high quality sound reproduction won't bother with BT, what is exactly the quality of the BT? I was led to believe the actual files were streamed meaning no loss in quality. BT could be very useful when used in tandem with a BT receiver plugged into your home stereo. You could then listen to all your music at home through the walkman. But if sound quality is compromised then it is less attractive. Anyone know the details of BT sound quality?

I don´t want gimmicks. How about otg playlisting, ratings, gapless playback and better performance with high sensitivity IEMs?

Ah, well I did not know that! I assumed the music would be exactly the same quality regardless of how it's transferred.

That's useful to know. Thanks

Edited by juli

Looking at this page...

http://www.bluetomorrow.com/content/section/308/429/

The voice layer offers a bandwidth of 64kbps, which is fine for cell phone use, but it is not nearly fast enough for transmitting stereo music. The data layer, which provides 723Kbps of bandwidth, is what A2DP uses to stream high bit rate stereo music.

if so, then there shouldn't be too much loss, except for the transcoding if it occurs.