NWZ-A82x-series (4, 8, 16 GB)

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/sony-nw...dp-hit-the-fcc/

That is the link.

Reading one of the pdfs, it states from january 12th

"the applicant requests the following documents contained in this certification application to be temporarily withheld from public disclosure for an initial period of 45 days:

external photos

internal photos

test setup photos

users manual

Meaning that february 26th might be the day we get more information regarding the new unit :P or perhaps earlier. There is an image of the back of the unit and it seems to be similar to the current 81x series with some differences.

post-3550-1134744403_thumb.jpg

Mainly that the reset button is on the back of the unit, using the diagram as reference, the device should be 86 to 87mm tall and 46 to 47mm wide. give or take half a mm. In addition it seems that the head phone jack is on the side now? now the bottom.

There appears to be 3 models on the way:

826 - 4 GB

828 - 8 GB

829 - 16 GB

headphones appear to be the same EX82 with an extension cable of 1.5 m, it also appears to have bluetooth. That's all I could get out of the documents.

link to FCC site

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...'AK8NWZA820

• Answers 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all. Agree re the looks etc etc. But (as Ceres mentioned earlier ) the high quality sound is important to me. Although I use an 808 with just a pair of goodish phones for "minimalist" - I like to go back to an HD5 or RH1/NH1 minidiscs which I can use line out into a headphone amp.

So a quick question from me is...................any chance of this lovely new player having line out??? I'm expecting the answer to be no - because 800 and 810 series doesnt/didnt. Not sure if the new player has the wm port (?) but (like the hd5) a switchable line out from the headphone socket would be nice!!

Regards.

The problem with bluetooth lies in the extra amp in the headphone; that's gotta be as good as the one in the player to offer the same soundquality as connection through wire.

Personally I do not dislike the wire between player and phone enough to pay for a new amp, lug along an extra battery in the phone, and watch an extra battery level.

People consulting their local Sony distribution should by now be aware that these centres are rather ignorant, but hate to admit that, preferring to give wrong information.

Just wait and, if necessary, order through ther internet seems to be the best advice.

I wanted an FM tuner in it... :|

What about the speaker I've seen around on the net? How much will it cost in Europe?

and what about a line out? for nwaz81x owners, is it ok to connect it to a hi-fi? Is the amp suitable?

also I don't understand if there's built-in Noisce Cancelling...

last but not least: the screen is still 320 x 240 but the size has increased: that means lower quality / bigger pixels, right?

PS: European prices are a real shame, compared to the $ ones.

Edited by mdsjack

Hi all. Agree re the looks etc etc. But (as Ceres mentioned earlier ) the high quality sound is important to me. Although I use an 808 with just a pair of goodish phones for "minimalist" - I like to go back to an HD5 or RH1/NH1 minidiscs which I can use line out into a headphone amp.

So a quick question from me is...................any chance of this lovely new player having line out??? I'm expecting the answer to be no - because 800 and 810 series doesnt/didnt. Not sure if the new player has the wm port (?) but (like the hd5) a switchable line out from the headphone socket would be nice!!

Regards.

800/810 does have it, but via WM-PORT. I have post the diagram, but for some unknow reason, admin or mod (?), deleted my post/msg.

Btw:

01 | GND

02 | Reserved (OTG)

03 | D+ (USB)

04 | D- (USB)

05 | GND (USB)

06 | Reserved

07 | V_IN

08 | RXD/WAKE

09 | CRD_AD

10 | TXD/SLEEP

11 | USB/DET

12 | UNREG_OUT

13 | AUDIO_LEFT_IN

14 | AUDIO_LEFT_OUT

15 | AUDIO_COM (GND)

16 | AUDIO_RIGHT_IN

17 | AUDIO_RIGHT_OUT

18 | VIDEO_GND/GND

19 | VIDEO_IN/OUT/OPEN

20 | DC_IN (USB)

21 | DIGITAL_OUT/OPEN

22 | GND

Gradius

Edited by Gradius

Hi.

looks like i am going to get a jap model as i really want the noise cancelling and the line in record (without the cradle).

this means i am going back to sonic stage, but i noticed the player says it supports media manager?

i tried my s706 with media manager and it does not work, it say connect a walk man, which i do but it never detects it.

am i right in thinking the player will work with media manager?

can i import it and use it on a UK machine?

will it display english in the menus?

do they do a world wide model?

Hi.

looks like i am going to get a jap model as i really want the noise cancelling and the line in record (without the cradle).

this means i am going back to sonic stage, but i noticed the player says it supports media manager?

i tried my s706 with media manager and it does not work, it say connect a walk man, which i do but it never detects it.

am i right in thinking the player will work with media manager?

can i import it and use it on a UK machine?

will it display english in the menus?

do they do a world wide model?

From what I understand, you can buy those japanese models but you will be restricted (got to love Sony huh) to a japanese-only display, pacific region-only sonicstage, and probably japanese-only Windows. Sony are basically telling you to stay clear from their Japanese market, and to only buy from your own country.

Regarding media manager, I really have no clue about it. But given the long history of Sony's dire performance on the software side I don't see how it can help.

From what I understand, you can buy those japanese models but you will be restricted (got to love Sony huh) to a japanese-only display, pacific region-only sonicstage, and probably japanese-only Windows. Sony are basically telling you to stay clear from their Japanese market, and to only buy from your own country.

Regarding media manager, I really have no clue about it. But given the long history of Sony's dire performance on the software side I don't see how it can help.

if its in jap then its useless. i want it in english.

bloody sony.

why not just include noise cancelling and line in recording?

hopefully there is a world wide model and that has english.

and i wanted to use media manager as sonic stage STILL does not read AAC/M4A/MP4 tags and i am NOT re taggng over 10,000 tracks!

media manager does read ACC tags correctly.

Thanks to Gradius for the pinouts for the wm port. Must admit I've never seen those listed anywhere before! Must be someone somewhere who has made/can make a line out cable???? I've got exactly such a cable for a Creative Zen Vision as well as Ipod Nano - but would be brilliant to have same for my beloved 808 players. Does anyone know if such a cable exists??

SONY USA updated their site:

NWZ-A820 and NWZ-A720 series are open for pre-order (release date: March 28).

NWZ-A720 is same as A820 but lacks bluetooth and is cheaper.

Edited by Zizone

SONY USA updated their site:

NWZ-A820 and NWZ-A720 series are open for pre-order (release date: March 28).

NWZ-A720 is same as A820 but lacks bluetooth and is cheaper.

Thanks for the update Zizone. I love these little snippets of info, it all starts to become more real when I read them :)

Now I wonder when/if Sony UK will update its website. I'll go check now

EDIT: OK, I just checked Sony UK and the models are on the site (cannot see anywhere at all to pre-order from) - so then I clicked on 'where to buy' and got taken straight to the SonyStyle store, where, surprise surprise, it's not listed.

Edited by juli

Thanks for the update Zizone. I love these little snippets of info, it all starts to become more real when I read them :)

Now I wonder when/if Sony UK will update its website. I'll go check now

EDIT: OK, I just checked Sony UK and the models are on the site (cannot see anywhere at all to pre-order from) - so then I clicked on 'where to buy' and got taken straight to the SonyStyle store, where, surprise surprise, it's not listed.

Juli, I hate to dissapoint but the 16 gig model isn''t listed on the UK Sony site today as it was last week. Are they not giving us this option here in the UK or the rest of Europe? The NWZ-A7xx isn't listed either. 4 & 8 gig models only with bluetooth headsets.

Edited by markey

Juli, I hate to dissapoint but the 16 gig model isn''t listed on the UK Sony site today as it was last week. Are they not giving us this option here in the UK or the rest of Europe? The NWZ-A7xx isn't listed either. 4 & 8 gig models only with bluetooth headsets.

You have to be kidding. Crap, that's in line with what I was told in the e-mail. The woman from Sony said the 16GB version wouldn't be available in the UK - and when I sent her the link to show her it was listed on the UK site, she replied: "This may change" and that was the end of that.

So now it's been taken off, I can only conclude she was right and that we people in the UK and Europe clearly have no need for a 16GB version, like say. . . those outside these regions. I can't believe it. I'm going to have get someone to order it from Amazon.com for me, and then pay customs on top. But if that's the only way. . .

You have to be kidding. Crap, that's in line with what I was told in the e-mail. The woman from Sony said the 16GB version wouldn't be available in the UK - and when I sent her the link to show her it was listed on the UK site, she replied: "This may change" and that was the end of that.

So now it's been taken off, I can only conclude she was right and that we people in the UK and Europe clearly have no need for a 16GB version, like say. . . those outside these regions. I can't believe it. I'm going to have get someone to order it from Amazon.com for me, and then pay customs on top. But if that's the only way. . .

I really don't know how Sony comes to it's conclusions re what is good for one population isn't for another. I'm sure it's some sort of marketing ploy. Damn Sony :sad:

Edited by markey

May I ask who ever is reading this post to check their regional Sony websites to see what Sony has deemed fit for you to purchase.

Well I just asked my friend to pre-order them from the Sony US site (28th March 'supposed' availablilty).

I don't have to pay him till they're available (4 weeks) - so in that time I hope to confirm one way or the other exactly what Sony UK is 'offering' us. I already have an 8GB A808, I want a 16GB. Doesn't Sony think we add to our music collection in between dap releases?? Oh yeah, I forgot. We don't. But those outside the UK and the rest of Europe DO add to their music, and that is why THEY are getting a 16GB!!!

It's not on the canadian sonystyle site and I doubt it will be anytime soon. In the end I couldn't care less if sony canada imported it or not. They are already behind apple in capacity with the touch now at 32 gigs and creative going down that road as well. The price may be hefty but it could hold almost all my mp3 collection.

juli I am sure the UK won't be alone in not having the 16 gig model, if canada gets these new models, rest assured sony canada will rip us customers a new one and not include the 16 gig A820 model like they did with the 8 gig A810 model.

If sony wants to take advantage of their new positive position in the mp3 market, they need to release a new stunning mp3 player with features the competition lack and a competitive price, when of course in september or august when apple releases their stuff.

juli I am sure the UK won't be alone in not having the 16 gig model, if canada gets these new models, rest assured sony canada will rip us customers a new one and not include the 16 gig A820 model like they did with the 8 gig A810 model.

Oh yeah, I forgot Canada gets dumped on too :sad:

The thing is, I can understand different features being included or excluded (to a certain extent) - I like the option of not having to pay for a Bluetooth model if I don't want Bluetooth for example. What I can't understand is the logic behind capacity variations for different countries. You should be able to get the 16GB in any country. It's ridiculous to decide some countries don't 'need' 16GB, and some do. . . honestly, it's just stupid of Sony to put restrictions on the capacity.

Gradius, are you in Japan? The 'A' series should have SonicStage/Atrac, but I wonder if it will only display a Japanese menu (like the A919.)

I guess if you're in Japan, it doesn't matter, but as the 'A' won't be released in the UK, we'll have no choice but to buy the model without Atrac/SS. . . unless we can read a Japanese menu - so that's me out :)

Nope, I'm on Chile, but here comes a lot Japanese products, for example, Sony here brought us NW-A808, so I believe they will import NW-A82x as well, otherwise I'll just import directly from Japan (A829), since is the unit I want and I need.

For japanese menu, I won't believe is just all in japanese, since today is simple to they to include at least english (besides japanese of course) on firmware.

Gradius

Edited by Gradius

Hey great info, that diagram. Now we just need a spare vmport cable+connector...

BTW which one is the 1st pin?

Can someone answer my previous questions?

To discovery pin 1 is very easy, just get a multimeter and test for logic on pin 3 from WM-PORT and the other side of USB connector should make a "beep", if you heard it, so that is the pin 3 (on WM-PORT, the other 2 remaining are pin 2 and pin 1).

For USB diagram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...0px-USB.svg.png

Gradius

It's not on the canadian sonystyle site and I doubt it will be anytime soon. In the end I couldn't care less if sony canada imported it or not. They are already behind apple in capacity with the touch now at 32 gigs and creative going down that road as well. The price may be hefty but it could hold almost all my mp3 collection.

If sony wants to take advantage of their new positive position in the mp3 market, they need to release a new stunning mp3 player with features the competition lack and a competitive price, when of course in september or august when apple releases their stuff.

Sony CA doesn't give it a mention at all, while Sony USA have all models up for grabs. Looks like USA is getting the Lions share this time round.

I think Europe is better market for Sony; so, I am going to wait and see until the release day what they release in Europe.

On the Sony UK site, all I can see are the NWZ-A826/828. That looks like IT!!

Zizone, do you think Sony will change availabiity to include the UK/rest of Europe for the 16GB 829/729?

I now have both the 729/829 on preorder (Sony US) while I decide if I'll ever use the BT feature. I can save £10 if I don't. Big whoopa! But I'd still rather get it from the UK. So do you think it will still change? Even though they pulled the other versions from the website as markey pointed out?

Zizone, do you think Sony will change availabiity to include the UK/rest of Europe for the 16GB 829/729?

I now have both the 729/829 on preorder (Sony US) while I decide if I'll ever use the BT feature. I can save £10 if I don't. Big whoopa! But I'd still rather get it from the UK. So do you think it will still change? Even though they pulled the other versions from the website as markey pointed out?

I cannot say for sure how Sony will change their line-up in your region, but considering their past actions, where SONY UK had best support in terms of product line ups after Japan, I am going to wait and see (just look at SonyEricssons massive Walkman Phone line-up in UK!). In US, SonyEricsson has deleted W890i from US site although it went through FCC; some sites are taking pre-order for W890i even the site has deleted model. So, I guess it all depends and only the time will tell. Good news is, at least, the current Walkmans are region free :) (excluding Japanese model).

What I can't understand is the logic behind capacity variations for different countries. You should be able to get the 16GB in any country. It's ridiculous to decide some countries don't 'need' 16GB, and some do. . . honestly, it's just stupid of Sony to put restrictions on the capacity.

lol, I'd never use the word 'logic' to describe Sony - 'ridiculous' and 'stupid' are much more suitable for them.

Edited by metal

For japanese menu, I won't believe is just all in japanese, since today is simple to they to include at least english (besides japanese of course) on firmware.

You don't believe it?? But Sony IS doing it now for the NW-A910, NW-S710 series. Japanese menu, asia-pacific SS, Japanese version of Windows..... If Sony continue this trend, then of course, NW-A82x will be of no difference. So, make sure you are prepared to deal with all that before you got one.

To say that I'm gutted is an understatement. I do hope that it's all a dream and come March/April i'll open my eyes to find that Sony have done the decent thing!

To say that I'm gutted is an understatement. I do hope that it's all a dream and come March/April i'll open my eyes to find that Sony have done the decent thing!

Hopefully they will amend the website again before the end of March to include the 16 gig. We live in hope :)

As much as I hate to say this, this is where I have to hand it to Apple. They announce the product and the next day it's in the shops. All sizes, all colours, Worldwide. None of this nonsense like you get from Sony.

Yep. Credit where's credit's due. I thought, what with Sony now having a non-Japanese CEO, that this was a thing of the past :sad: . I also don't understand why Sony differentiates between the Japanese, and non-japanese markets. Not the way to run a global business!

Edited by Old skool D

I just spoke to Sony( contact details on their UK webpage) According to him, we( UK) will get the NWZ-A82XX series after the Japanes market, but before the North American. When I mentioned that the US already had all sizes featured on their web site he was taken aback. He confessed that whilst he knew of the A8200 range, he couldn't confirm a release date, or if the 16GB would be released in the UK. Watch this space.

I really wonder about Sony's reasoning to not distribute products to all markets. US gets the larger capacity model this time, but for the NWS706F did not? I could understand it if was due to not having approval for Bluetooth which I think is why the Clie TH55 was non-Bluetooth in the US, but capacity? Also, now there are so many different models?

I just spoke to Sony( contact details on their UK webpage) According to him, we( UK) will get the NWZ-A82XX series after the Japanes market, but before the North American. When I mentioned that the US already had all sizes featured on their web site he was taken aback.

He confessed that whilst he knew of the A8200 range, he couldn't confirm a release date, or if the 16GB would be released in the UK. Watch this space.

As they've pulled it from the website, and there are only 2 measly choices with the same capacity showing up on it, I don't hold out any hope at all. It's a really poor and pretty useless 'upgrade' apart from BT and a slightly bigger screen, and how many people are so desperate for BT that they'd buy one of these? (if they already have the 808/818.)

It doesn't help that everything's so shrouded in mystery! I mean, when I called Sony to ask about the 16GB version for the UK, I was asked how I knew anything about it, since it was still supposed to be 'private'!! Then I was asked to send a link to the listing, which I did - and then I get an e-mail back saying: "This may change". . . and then it gets pulled from the site? So was the inclusion an error? And why can't we just get a straight answer from someone who knows!! How hard is it to answer: "Will the 16GB version be available in the UK?" Someone up there in Sony land must have the answer, right? But who??

And isn't it showing some kind of 'favouritism' to exclude us from being able to buy a 16GB version when everyone outside the UK, Canada and the rest of Europe is able to buy one.

As they've pulled it from the website, and there are only 2 measly choices with the same capacity showing up on it, I don't hold out any hope at all. It's a really poor and pretty useless 'upgrade' apart from BT and a slightly bigger screen, and how many people are so desperate for BT that they'd buy one of these? (if they already have the 808/818.)

It doesn't help that everything's so shrouded in mystery! I mean, when I called Sony to ask about the 16GB version for the UK, I was asked how I knew anything about it, since it was still supposed to be 'private'!! Then I was asked to send a link to the listing, which I did - and then I get an e-mail back saying: "This may change". . . and then it gets pulled from the site? So was the inclusion an error? And why can't we just get a straight answer from someone who knows!! How hard is it to answer: "Will the 16GB version be available in the UK?" Someone up there in Sony land must have the answer, right? But who??

And isn't it showing some kind of 'favouritism' to exclude us from being able to buy a 16GB version when everyone outside the UK, Canada and the rest of Europe is able to buy one.

The reason why Sony is in the current state that it is. I, like your self, may look to the US, as I have a sister living there. But I do live in hope. I think Sony will pull their finger out(please)

I, like your self, may look to the US, as I have a sister living there. But I do live in hope.

I think Sony will pull their finger out(please)

More like their whole fist!! And the thing with us buying from the US is the shipping costs we'll incur including customs charges. Then if it breaks, we have to send it back to the US for the warranty. I wish I knew if the 16GB iRiver Spinn will really be released in May. I think I'd buy that. Gapless, and (allegedly) superior SQ, which means on a par with the Sony then, because it couldn't be better :)

But it appears to be 'fiction' at the moment, and no one seems to know if it will actually be released. If I knew it was coming to the UK, I'd get that instead of the Sony, just because I'd rather buy something from the UK, and because from what I've read of the clix2 sq, I'd assume the Spinn will be similar.

I have been waiting for a High Capacity Walkman for a long time now and this has been the long awaited news..that is until I learned about the 16GB version not being available to us. I agree with Juli, why on Earth ( or some parts of it at least ) would anybody want to make an expensive upgrade from an 80* or an 81* just for Bluetooth.

''SONY, IT'S MORE CAPACITY WE WANT, WILL YOU LISTEN FOR ONCE ?''