NWZ-A82x-series (4, 8, 16 GB)

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/sony-nw...dp-hit-the-fcc/

That is the link.

Reading one of the pdfs, it states from january 12th

"the applicant requests the following documents contained in this certification application to be temporarily withheld from public disclosure for an initial period of 45 days:

external photos

internal photos

test setup photos

users manual

Meaning that february 26th might be the day we get more information regarding the new unit :P or perhaps earlier. There is an image of the back of the unit and it seems to be similar to the current 81x series with some differences.

post-3550-1134744403_thumb.jpg

Mainly that the reset button is on the back of the unit, using the diagram as reference, the device should be 86 to 87mm tall and 46 to 47mm wide. give or take half a mm. In addition it seems that the head phone jack is on the side now? now the bottom.

There appears to be 3 models on the way:

826 - 4 GB

828 - 8 GB

829 - 16 GB

headphones appear to be the same EX82 with an extension cable of 1.5 m, it also appears to have bluetooth. That's all I could get out of the documents.

link to FCC site

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...'AK8NWZA820

• Answers 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The reason why Sony is in the current state that it is. I, like your self, may look to the US, as I have a sister living there. But I do live in hope. I think Sony will pull their finger out(please)

I reckon your local Sony unit is in disarray as the 16 gig NWZ 829 with the bundled bt phones is on presale on the continent (w English menus).

I am looking forward to trying out these new players once they hit the shelves. Do be honest I don´t expect much over the A818.

this is so silly.

why do sony do this?

here they have a plaer that a lot of people want and they price it to compete with the ipod touch, but without half the features.

sure the sq is better, but joe bloggs in the street does not care about that.

i tinhk i`ve now had enough and wil be buying another player from iriver.

sony best do something special with the pricing of these units.

if sony pirice themselves at 230 quid then they will go head to head with this.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/P...layer.2026.html

its all the features of the sony and then some, and comes in not 8, not 16, not 32 but 60 gig.

it has mpeg 4 video in reording on the unit, 4.3 inch screen, bluetooth AND support for every video and audio codec going.

finally it has 16mw wolfsen dac output. thats pretty trasty package.

sony has got real problems.

Edited by dutchtrance

finally it has 16mw wolfsen dac output. thats pretty trasty package. sony has got real problems.

I thought the iubi had really long battery life? Didn't that cube thing have 100 hours or something crazy like that?

This one only seems to have 15 hours (read less than 10 for 'real world' listening) - so that's a shame. I've never heard a player with a wolfson dac, but I'm always reading good things about it for sq. It looks like it's been around for 18 months already, and yet I never heard of it till tonight (I was only familiar with the 'cube'!)

And why is only Advanced MP3 players stocking it?

You don't believe it?? But Sony IS doing it now for the NW-A910, NW-S710 series. Japanese menu, asia-pacific SS, Japanese version of Windows..... If Sony continue this trend, then of course, NW-A82x will be of no difference. So, make sure you are prepared to deal with all that before you got one.

Well, isn't hard at all to use it even in Japanese, at least to me. Now the SonicStageInstaller.exe (aka CP v4.4) is the problem, since is all in Japanese.

Gradius

It makes no sense at all to have 16gb available in some countries but not others. I cant believe even Sony would be that stupid!!! With web based sales those who really want 16gb will just import from another country surely? ( I for one would do that - although reluctantly - and annoyed with Sony to boot). If there are some European versions and perhaps some N.American versions then I would expect languages to be switchable. I'm guessing only a Japanese only version might cause problems with switching languages, ??

All the uncertainty re will there/wont there be 16gb in US/Uk or wherever ( details appearing then dis-appearing from sony sites) reminds me of the information (dis-information) we had re possible firmware updates for the 800's. For a few weeks we had conflicting stories from sony sources. I'll just hold tight and hope 16gb becomes available in uk!!

Regards to all.

Also, the Sony US site has the price listed without sales tax. When I asked my friend to preorder the 829 for me, he said the actual price with sales tax is $345 for the 829 model (excluding customs and shipping) and the 729 (without BT) is $320.

Once you add shipping and possible customs fees, the 'real' price will be closer to $400!

Also, the Sony US site has the price listed without sales tax. When I asked my friend to preorder the 829 for me, he said the actual price with sales tax is $345 for the 829 model (excluding customs and shipping) and the 729 (without BT) is $320.

Once you add shipping and possible customs fees, the 'real' price will be closer to $400!

In US, it is common practice (in all goods) not to include sales tax on any products except gas for cars. My pre-order price for NWZ-A829 came out to be $336 and no shipping fee.

In Japan, it shows regular price and the price with tax. Also, if you are an importer for Japanese product, you are not required to pay for tax.

Edited by Zizone

In US, it is common practice (in all goods) not to include sales tax on any products except gas for cars.

My pre-order price for NWZ-A829 came out to be $336 and no shipping fee.

In Japan, it shows regular price and the price with tax. Also, if you are an importer for Japanese product, you are not required to pay for tax.

Zizone, where did you order it from? I have to get someone to buy the 729 for me because Sony US aren't going to ship this model to the UK. The listed price for the model you preordered (on the US site) is $319. Where did you see it for $336?

Are you ordering it directly?

Zizone, where did you order it from? I have to get someone to buy the 729 for me because Sony US aren't going to ship this model to the UK. The listed price for the model you preordered (on the US site) is $319. Where did you see it for $336?

Are you ordering it directly?

Oh, I am sorry if I have mislead you :o . I ordered from sonystyle.com (US) with price of $319 for NWZ-A829 (I am in US right now). $336 was with the sales tax and they didn't charge me for the shipping.

This is such a silly reality, u ask your local sony about the new NWZ players, then they go:"how did u find that out, where is your source of information?" or they tell you:"what are u talking about?". Well Australia will be the last country to get anything good from sony, but it will receive the worst price. you may just import a 16GB one from Japan (atrac is so good), you seriously don't need to know any japanese to understand the menu, it's just common sense and it will not break when u take care of your walkman

you may just import a 16GB one from Japan (atrac is so good), you seriously don't need to know any japanese to understand the menu, it's just common sense and it will not break when u take care of your walkman

Even if I could struggle through the Japanese menu, what about track titles and albums names etc?

Or is that a stupid question, do they display in English?

I guess I can wait for pata to come and laugh and call me stupid too :lol:

Even if I could struggle through the Japanese menu, what about track titles and albums names etc?

Or is that a stupid question, do they display in English?

I guess I can wait for pata to come and laugh and call me stupid too :lol:

Don't worry naming title of songs in English for Japanese version, NW-A820 series. You may be surprised how many Japanese songs are named in English; Japanese Walkmans have no problem in displaying song titles in English.

But, I am not sure whether NW-A820 series will be compatible with non Jananese SonicStage though. So, you may need Japanese SonicStage, which operates under Japanese Windows only.

Edited by Zizone

Don't worry naming title of songs in English for Japanese version, NW-A820 series. You may be surprised how many Japanese songs are named in English; Japanese Walkmans have no problem in displaying song titles in English.

But, I am not sure whether NW-A820 series will be compatible with non Jananese SonicStage though.

So, you may need Japanese SonicStage, which operates under Japanese Windows only.

Thanks Zizone, I forgot about that :sad:

just on the issue of displaying track titles and album names in english etc, all that kind of displays and operation of a japanese menu walkman are not a problem, bit of common sense and memory then u will be able to operate it fine in your hands.

080221_mp3_a820_500_2.jpg

3*3 menu, very simple to use without language barrier

080221_mp3_a820_500_3.jpg

English does appear when it should appear, even some of the chinese characters will appear too.

I have heard from other walkman fanboys that it's going to be released around 20th of march in japan? 16GB for 38000 yen? 8GB for 28000 yen? though offical price and release date should come out soon for japan walkman, if so then that's very considerate price, BT rules then

Edited by gotthat

But, I am not sure whether NW-A820 series will be compatible with non Jananese SonicStage though. So, you may need Japanese SonicStage, which operates under Japanese Windows only.

Just hack Japanese.dll or the installer (setup.exe), and you done it. B)

Gradius

I have heard from other walkman fanboys that it's going to be released around 20th of march in japan? 16GB for 38000 yen? 8GB for 28000 yen? though offical price and release date should come out soon for japan walkman, if so then that's very considerate price, BT rules then

According to Bic camera (a large Japanese chain store and online store), these are generally the street date and price.

Just hack Japanese.dll or the installer (setup.exe), and you done it. B)

Gradius

Well, for those wou don't use JP Windows then I guess that's an option. But I use JP Windows so... Anyways, ofcourse Walkman displays English. I remember when MD player remotes displayed English before they displayed kanji :lol:

Edited by Zizone

Is anyone aware of the US release date for these players? I know they are slated to hit the Japanese market sometime this month, can I assume that the US are likely to get these sometime in April?

Sony US has an estimated release date of 28th March. I haven't found out when Amazon.com are stocking them, but I assume it will be around the same time, end of March-ish!

Hi dutchtrance

This is definitely completely bizarre!!! I cant imagine that Sony would be stupid enough to release the 16gb in some countries and not others. For example - I've just looked at the Sony-Europe site. If I click on the uk/ireland/france versions there's no 16gb shown - just the 8gb and 4gb. BUT if I click on Germany - there's the 16gb nwz-a829 in all it's glory!! Makes no sense whatsoever!! Surely Sony cant mean that someone (say) living in Strasboug(?) can get a 16gb in one shopping street - but not "just down the road"!!???

I'm assuming that European versions couldnt possibly be "tied" to just one language?? Surely if I buy from Germany I can switch the language to French/English or whatever?? My 818 certainly can be switched into numerous languages(including the various japan/Korean etc)

I'd like to think it's just website "discrepancies" - but comments in this thread worry me as some have said "16gb was there, but now removed"!!!! IT's utterly bizarre!! ( Is there any reason why I cant simply import one into UK ?? Apart from extra costs that is???)

its so silly. i dont know why sony behave like this.

i would have bought a 16 gig for the right price but they have just priced them selves out the markt. i mean 170 quid for an 8 gig player? come on!

you can pick up the 818 now for about 100 pounds. a bit less if you shop around.

the people who will buy this product are people like us. once the rpice drops to near ipod levels, joe public in the street will pick one up so at the moment sony are aiming at us.

since most of us will already have an 818/816, why would we upgrade/sidegrade to the same player, with only bluetooth added for an extra 75 quid?

sure if i was doubling my capacity, but not for the same sized player. oh dear oh dear.

i am so annoyed.

when this drops to 100 pounds towards the end of the year, then i may concider it depending on wether i bought some thing else in the mean time.

Edited by dutchtrance

its so silly. i dont know why sony behave like this.

It's enough to drive you CRAZY. Why do they always do something to p**s us all off? Even the logistics of separating the markets must actually COST them money.

They are bonkers,just bloody BONKERS.

Hi Old Skool D .

Good luck with asking Sony about this!! My past experience is one of conflicting advice and/or lack of or denying any knowledge!! ( The will they/wont they provide firmware updates for the 800 series was a case in point. Some on this forum had emails/phone calls from Sonyy reps saying "yes" - but nothing ever materialised.)

Re the availability of a 16gb 729/829 model..............surely if it is available in some markets but not others - then for those (like me) who are desparate to have one - then the answer is import or buy on the web and ship over??? Apart from the cost issue (!) there's really only the "useability" in terms of languages surely ?? ( Universal voltages for chargers and/or usb chargeing etc means no issue there) I'm presuming the 829 (being derived from 800/810 ) will have language choice in the menus - and a wide choice at that. Most Europeans plus Korea/China/Japan?? All selectable from menu.

I'm trying to convince myself that the "not-available in UK" will simply mean I import one from Germany or HongKong or Japan or wherever and just switch language to English on arrival................??!! Surely that will work? Can anyone foresee any other "gotchas"?????

Hi dutchtrance

This is definitely completely bizarre!!! I cant imagine that Sony would be stupid enough to release the 16gb in some countries and not others. For example - I've just looked at the Sony-Europe site. If I click on the uk/ireland/france versions there's no 16gb shown - just the 8gb and 4gb. BUT if I click on Germany - there's the 16gb nwz-a829 in all it's glory!! Makes no sense whatsoever!! Surely Sony cant mean that someone (say) living in Strasboug(?) can get a 16gb in one shopping street - but not "just down the road"!!???

I'm assuming that European versions couldnt possibly be "tied" to just one language?? Surely if I buy from Germany I can switch the language to French/English or whatever?? My 818 certainly can be switched into numerous languages(including the various japan/Korean etc)

I'd like to think it's just website "discrepancies" - but comments in this thread worry me as some have said "16gb was there, but now removed"!!!! IT's utterly bizarre!! ( Is there any reason why I cant simply import one into UK ?? Apart from extra costs that is???)

Shirley

why not order from the US? The pound to the dollor is good, and no worries about lauguage issues.

Edited by Old skool D

I'm trying to convince myself that the "not-available in UK" will simply mean I import one from Germany or HongKong or Japan or wherever and just switch language to English on arrival................??!! Surely that will work? Can anyone foresee any other "gotchas"?????

I think this will generally be true, except Japan -- ATRAC, Japanese menu, ....

Well as Promised, I spoke with & visited Sony to see what I could find out. Having got through to Sony's UK helpline I was told that there was no rhyme or reason why some countries had the 16GB, and others didn't. That was just the way it was. When I mentioned that that made no sense at all, i was met with a smirk, and well that's the way it is. Helpful? Not very.

The Sony centre were a little bit more forthcoming. The guy I spoke to said that he imagined that Sony would increase thier capacity to 16GB, and could not understand why it was availble in some countries, and not others. He did say, that SQ wise it wouldn't be much better than the 800, and 810 series, just a bigger screen (slightly) and bluetooth. He even mentioned that the bluetooth headphones couldn't even compare with my CX300's. He wasn't really sold on the bluetooth feature.

The thing is, even if the 16GB was availble in the UK, what price would it be going for? I think the 4 GB starts at 175 GBP, so, as I thought, the 16GB will be 220 upwards. I've decided to stick with my 808 for now, and later on this year, I'll order the 16GB from the US. Happy shopping :)

Edited by Old skool D

Thanks Old Skool. Appreciate the trouble you've taken. The replies you got dont surprise me. So very "Sony" like in so many ways!!

Like you I'm going to hold off for a while. Maybe a US import later in the year? Still love my 808 immensely- and also use an HD5 sometimes. ( Together with a very rare minidisc outing occasionally!!) It is so very hard being a Sony addict isnt it (LOL)

Regards.

Thanks Old Skool. Appreciate the trouble you've taken. The replies you got dont surprise me. So very "Sony" like in so many ways!!

Like you I'm going to hold off for a while. Maybe a US import later in the year? Still love my 808 immensely- and also use an HD5 sometimes. ( Together with a very rare minidisc outing occasionally!!) It is so very hard being a Sony addict isnt it (LOL)

Regards.

No Worries Shirley :)

Yes it is hard work loving a Company that goes out of it's way to switch people off it products by silly global marketing schemes!

I've decided to stick with my 808 for now, and later on this year, I'll order the 16GB from the US. Happy shopping :)

If you leave it until September, we might know for sure if we'll get the 16GB here. The woman I spoke with at Sony did point out it might be a possibility and she even mentioned the actual month. . . so I don't know what to believe.

Remember when she asked how I knew about the 16GB, like it was some top government secret or something?? Well, maybe she knows something we don't, or else why mention possible availability in September? I don't think it will be, but I like to cling to some hope! In the meantime, I think I'll also hold off for now as I still have my beloved 808 and the clunky old Zune, and that's more than enough to keep me going. Bloody Sony, I still don't get how they decided no one in the UK, Canada and rest of Europe would want a 16GB???