NWZ-A82x-series (4, 8, 16 GB)

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/sony-nw...dp-hit-the-fcc/

That is the link.

Reading one of the pdfs, it states from january 12th

"the applicant requests the following documents contained in this certification application to be temporarily withheld from public disclosure for an initial period of 45 days:

external photos

internal photos

test setup photos

users manual

Meaning that february 26th might be the day we get more information regarding the new unit :P or perhaps earlier. There is an image of the back of the unit and it seems to be similar to the current 81x series with some differences.

post-3550-1134744403_thumb.jpg

Mainly that the reset button is on the back of the unit, using the diagram as reference, the device should be 86 to 87mm tall and 46 to 47mm wide. give or take half a mm. In addition it seems that the head phone jack is on the side now? now the bottom.

There appears to be 3 models on the way:

826 - 4 GB

828 - 8 GB

829 - 16 GB

headphones appear to be the same EX82 with an extension cable of 1.5 m, it also appears to have bluetooth. That's all I could get out of the documents.

link to FCC site

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...'AK8NWZA820

• Answers 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think $200 for 8GB flash, bluetooth and nice headphones that comes with it is the best deal in the market in my opinion. $320 for 16GB flash bluetooth and nice headphones ok or little high I think.

Well as Promised, I spoke with & visited Sony to see what I could find out. Having got through to Sony's UK helpline I was told that there was no rhyme or reason why some countries had the 16GB, and others didn't. That was just the way it was. When I mentioned that that made no sense at all, i was met with a smirk, and well that's the way it is. Helpful? Not very.

The Sony centre were a little bit more forthcoming. The guy I spoke to said that he imagined that Sony would increase thier capacity to 16GB, and could not understand why it was availble in some countries, and not others. He did say, that SQ wise it wouldn't be much better than the 800, and 810 series, just a bigger screen (slightly) and bluetooth. He even mentioned that the bluetooth headphones couldn't even compare with my CX300's. He wasn't really sold on the bluetooth feature.

The thing is, even if the 16GB was availble in the UK, what price would it be going for? I think the 4 GB starts at 175 GBP, so, as I thought, the 16GB will be 220 upwards. I've decided to stick with my 808 for now, and later on this year, I'll order the 16GB from the US. Happy shopping :)

Thanks for the info old school.

I presume what applies the UK also applies to Ireland. I'll also stick with my 805. I am a bit impressed by being able to record direct from TV, but it has to 16GB or nothing.

Guest Stuge

Well as Promised, I spoke with & visited Sony to see what I could find out. Having got through to Sony's UK helpline I was told that there was no rhyme or reason why some countries had the 16GB, and others didn't. That was just the way it was. When I mentioned that that made no sense at all, i was met with a smirk, and well that's the way it is. Helpful? Not very.

The Sony centre were a little bit more forthcoming. The guy I spoke to said that he imagined that Sony would increase thier capacity to 16GB, and could not understand why it was availble in some countries, and not others. He did say, that SQ wise it wouldn't be much better than the 800, and 810 series, just a bigger screen (slightly) and bluetooth. He even mentioned that the bluetooth headphones couldn't even compare with my CX300's. He wasn't really sold on the bluetooth feature.

The thing is, even if the 16GB was availble in the UK, what price would it be going for? I think the 4 GB starts at 175 GBP, so, as I thought, the 16GB will be 220 upwards. I've decided to stick with my 808 for now, and later on this year, I'll order the 16GB from the US. Happy shopping :)

I guess the quality of phones provided with Bluetoth walkman are not that good .

well the whole 16 gig debarcle and the price has really annoyed me.

saturday i saw a w960 in the window of manchester EX for 200 pounds and i decided to get that and some blue tooth headphones.

i will be trading in my w880 and A818 in for it.

the bluetooth heaphones i got are the sony over the ear 21g.

so far i really like it!

so some thoughts on bluetooth audio.

once the headphones are paired they automaticly connect which is good. they also do the same with the play station 3.

the headphones have controls for the volume and stop/play/ffwd/rew on a rockr switch. there is also a button for answering calls as it works as a headset to.

the sound quality is suprsingly good! i haveuse the bundle headphones with the s706, eytimonic e6i, and the bundled headphones fr my 818 and in all cases the sound is as good as those. the ear phone reciever must e on the right of the 2 ear cups as if i have the phone on my left side i have skips, but have it on my right side, back pocket, side pocket, under a coat, and it works fine!

ps the eq does work on these headphones but i think that depend on the sending hardware.

sony customer service people are all a joke, they know nothing about walkman or product quality details,bluetooth sq is the way to go, it's something very normal in japan, people enjoy their music that way for a long time now. bluetooth feature is also very useful, u have to listen for yourself to compare to CX300 etc, but it beats cx300 in my experience.

This link to the UK SonyStyle website has the 16gb model; on pre-order for £225

https://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle...002BC29B74)/.do

Is this new, or is this what people have been querying lately?

Many Thanks for the Link. Now I don't wanna get ahead of myself, and as I write I,m having my breakfast, so ( be still my beating heart) I think we may have lift off. :)

Many Thanks for the Link. Now I don't wanna get ahead of myself, and as I write I,m having my breakfast, so ( be still my beating heart) I think we may have lift off. :)

YES,YES,YES, I feel like a child, I can't wait for a Sony large capacity Walkman. It's been years.

" WE HAVE LIFT-OFF".

WOW!!! Now I don't know what to believe any more. Sony is driving me crazy with all this farting about.

And £225??? It's a lot more than Sony US are asking, at least another £60 on top. Still. . . it's 16GB!!!

The A729 (same as the 829 but without Bluetooth) is cheaper than the 829 at Sony US - but it doesn't look like we have the option of NOT having BT. I wonder why? And I wonder why I always use the words 'I wonder why' whenever I refer to Sony!

I wonder if Amazon will stock it cheaper?

Hi all

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProductCate...ry=NWS+A+Series

I think I'm going to say "I'll believe 16gb when I've got one connected to my computer and 9gb or so has transferred and still counting!!"

I've just clicked on the above link ( Sony uk) showing the 820 series - still only shows 4gb and 8gb as available!!! I've never fully understood the relationship between Sony Europe ( and then click through the uk link) cf Sony Uk direct pages??????

I'm also wondering whether ( if I can get one) a 729 would be just as good - I'm not convinced by bluetooth phones ( for top end audio quality) - and to be honest - for transferring it's just as easy ( and maybe safer) to go direct via cable ??!!

Ho hum. Dont you just love Sony folks!! Brilliant hardware - but not always support etc to match!!

WOW!!! Now I don't know what to believe any more. Sony is driving me crazy with all this farting about.

And £225??? It's a lot more than Sony US are asking, at least another £60 on top. Still. . . it's 16GB!!!

The A729 (same as the 829 but without Bluetooth) is cheaper than the 829 at Sony US - but it doesn't look like we have the option of NOT having BT. I wonder why? And I wonder why I always use the words 'I wonder why' whenever I refer to Sony!

I wonder if Amazon will stock it cheaper?

I have just checked on Amazom & Apple ref the 16Gb Ipod touch, which retails for:229 GBO on the former, and 269 on the later sites mentioned. So 225 isn't to bad. I know you get Wi-fi, with the ipod touch, among other things, but, I'm more concerned about music & the SQ. I think I'll pre-order one, and see what the post man brings me in April !

I have just checked on Amazom & Apple ref the 16Gb Ipod touch, which retails for:229 GBO on the former, and 269 on the later sites mentioned. So 225 isn't to bad. I know you get Wi-fi, with the ipod touch, among other things, but, I'm more concerned about music & the SQ. I think I'll pre-order one, and see what the post man brings me in April !

Oh good, I'll wait to hear your views first. I want detailed comparisons between our current beloved A series and the newbie - and when I say 'detailed' - I mean is it the same, or better?? LOL!

Re: the Touch - I saw one being used by a guy at the hairdressers, and I couldn't help but strain my neck to get a good long peek at the screen. Have to say it was absolutely beautiful, big and bold with bright vivid colours. . . then while I was lusting after it, I thought I bet he set the brightness to maximum to show off. I comforted myself with the thought it probably looks like pig dirt with the brightness down :)

And it doesn't score highly for sq either, so while it's fancy for those who need an all-in-one media player with internet etc, those features don't interest me at all (and I can't see that changing over the next few years).

Even the BT goes over my head. I just want 16GB, a big enough screen to view album art, an easy to use menu (of which the 808 is the easiest ever), great sq and a sturdy build. That's all. Is that too much to ask? Nooooooo!

but, I'm more concerned about music & the SQ. I think I'll pre-order one, and see what the post man brings me in April !

According to recent Sony engineer/designer interview on jp.sonystyle.com, they have replaced with new condenser compared to previous model. So, I am expecting some level of sound improvement in NW/NWZ-A820/720 series over previous model. :)

I think I am going to get NWZ-A720 model 8gb. I think $200 for this nice device is very good price and since I don't really use bluetooth headphone.

Edited by Zizone

Yesterday I checked the Sony europe site (uk branch) and the 16gb was there. ( as earlier posters mentioned) But I was worried cos going to Sony UK own site it still only showed 8gb as biggest.

Today - I've just rechecked the Sony Europe(UK) page ........................... it seems to be just 8gb max now!!! This is doing my head in!!!!!!! What on earth are Sony doing messing around like this!!!!

Gradius ,We will have to wait to comment on its SQ .

I did do a review on the Zune somewhere here. I thought it was in the thread, but I don't remember now! Anyway, I'm using it alongside the 808 and although I didn't care much for the Zune sq at the beginning (because I felt it lacked the Sony punch and fullness) - I can now appreciate the very clean sound it has. It also has a much bigger soundstage than the Sony, very noticeable when I was going back and forth.

I like both of them very much, but the Sony is easier and faster to use. Also, the Zune will only play one album at a time whereas the Sony will continue to the next album. So I have to make loads of playlists on the Zune if I want to hear more than one album! Of course there is NO eq on the Zune, which I thought was really weird, since you can't adjust the sound in any way at all, so headphone choice is more crucial than with the Sony. Anyway, I'm going to wait till someone buys the Sony and tells us what the sq is like in comparison with the 808. Only a few weeks to go!!

People, I've had to backtrack 225 GBP was to hot for me, so I've had to cancel my order. I think I'll wait for the price to decrease.

Umm... please forgive my ignorance but... what is GBP??? :unsure:

People, I've had to backtrack 225 GBP was to hot for me, so I've had to cancel my order. I think I'll wait for the price to decrease.

Yes, it's hardly an inviting price is it? Even ordering from the US and getting it delivered by friends/relatives is still going to make it close to £200. I already got stung buying the 808 at the full Amazon price of £199.99 and then the price dropped by about £60 after about 3 months! So I think I can wait for someone else to buy it and review it :lol:

And Zizone has one on order, unless he's cancelled too. Zizzy???

I did do a review on the Zune somewhere here. I thought it was in the thread, but I don't remember now! Anyway, I'm using it alongside the 808 and although I didn't care much for the Zune sq at the beginning (because I felt it lacked the Sony punch and fullness) - I can now appreciate the very clean sound it has. It also has a much bigger soundstage than the Sony, very noticeable when I was going back and forth.

I like both of them very much, but the Sony is easier and faster to use. Also, the Zune will only play one album at a time whereas the Sony will continue to the next album. So I have to make loads of playlists on the Zune if I want to hear more than one album! Of course there is NO eq on the Zune, which I thought was really weird, since you can't adjust the sound in any way at all, so headphone choice is more crucial than with the Sony. Anyway, I'm going to wait till someone buys the Sony and tells us what the sq is like in comparison with the 808. Only a few weeks to go!!

I guess it was this one:

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4553

Btw, I'm after storage and SQ, since I want lossless quality at most, I'm careless about video, or anything else (except audio of course).

FLAC would be perfect for me, but until now I don't know any device with good storage, and at least very good SQ + FLAC support + PORTABLE.

HE-AAC sounds pretty good (I still didn't hear any real example myself of it thought), but is only available on japanese model, and the software refuses to works on a non-JP OS (sigh!).

Gradius

And Zizone has one on order, unless he's cancelled too. Zizzy???

Eh... yes and no. I had pre-ordered NWZ-A829 but instead I am getting NWZ-728 (for USD200 is very good deal). I realized that I use linear PCM for my favorite band, DIR EN GREY, and all others in AAC; this makes up about 7GB (that I actually listen). So I thought, until I build up more music library (that is all in CDs), NWZ-A728 is fine for my use. To put long story short, I will be getting NWZ-A820 series and I will do my best to write sound quality difference between current and upcoming future model. :)

I am actually interested to hear what difference/improvement this new "condenser" will make on sound quality (according to interview, they said some new parts were implemented since newer parts were available). I am really hoping for much reduced noise (i.e. hissing noise).

Edited by Zizone

Zizone, what does a condenser do in an mp3 player? I have come across condenser mics for guitars etc, but can't see how that would apply to what an mp3 player is doing. Can you or any shed any light?

First of all, I would like to mention that I am not an expert in this area. But, the information that I am about to say is from interview that was conducted after MZ-RH1 (condenser was mentioned during both NW-820 and MZ-RH1).

To be exact, I believe they are talking about "coupling condenser." When MZ-RH1 was released, they said that they doubled "coupling condenser" compared to previous models.

This is where my translation goes down (I know the word in Japanese but then I can't find a right word for English; sometimes vice versa :sad:). You probably have better idea than I do but here it goes...

-カップリングコンデンサとは、アンプの最終段で直流成分をカットするために用いられるもので、スピーカーやヘッドホンに直流が流れて壊れないようにする部品である。 この容量を増やすとこで、低音特性が改善できることは、アナログアンプ時代からノウハウとして良く知られている。(direct quote). You may want to translate via website than my translation.

-The bottom line is that it improves bass.

Anyways, from NW-A820 developers interview, they replacement of new condenser (コンデンサ) from NW-A810 was mentioned.

its now listed on amazon uk.

No firm details though and the price is £228.50!

I'm going to keep an eye on the price, but I'm also keeping my fingers crossed they bring out a 32gb model towards the end of the year. My HD5 30gb is still going strong so it will be a shame to replace it with a lesser capacity.

Thanks for all the updates in this thread. Exciting times ahead. Look forward to the first review.

its now listed on amazon uk.

Exciting times ahead. Look forward to the first review.

Me too. Although £228 sounds extortionate (compared to Sony US where it's the equivalent of £150!) - I did pay £200 for my 8GB A808 from Amazon UK less than a year ago, so I suppose £28 for an extra 8GB isn't really so bad. But having paid the full price last time, I'm going to wait for a price drop with the 829. I think £180 is a more realistic figure. Also I want to hear some reviews first. Someone said that generation mp3 (whoever they are) claimed the sound quality of the new models was not as good as the 800/810 series (which I find hard to believe), it doesn't make sense for Sony to release expensive high-end models with inferior sound to the previous series. Still, we'll wait for the reviews to start trickling in. Sony US are shipping from tomorrow so there'll be at least one review on Head-Fi from someone who's ordered one, except I don't know if he has an 808/818, and I'm really only interested in the comparison. Yes. . . exciting times ahead!!

Still, we'll wait for the reviews to start trickling in. Sony US are shipping from tomorrow so there'll be at least one review on Head-Fi from someone who's ordered one, except I don't know if he has an 808/818, and I'm really only interested in the comparison. Yes. . . exciting times ahead!!

NWZ-A820 series is going to be released on 28th.

Some of NWZ-A720 series will be released on March 17th. I ordered NWZ-A728 so hopefully I will get it sometime during this week, hopefully.

It seems like US Sonystyle are getting players in separate shipments. Anyways, thankfully they are only week apart.

New video from tracyandmatt.co.uk on youtube.com

Edited by Zizone

NWZ-A820 series is going to be released on 28th.

Some of NWZ-A720 series will be released on March 17th. I ordered NWZ-A728 so hopefully I will get it sometime during this week, hopefully.

Oh yes, that's right. You're getting the Blue-toothless ( :D ) version. Think we're only getting the BT one, no other option.

Anyway, looking very forward to hearing your impressions of it.

Oh yes, that's right. You're getting the Blue-toothless ( :D ) version. Think we're only getting the BT one, no other option.

Yep. Unfortunately, my MDR-EX700 SL (picture shown as my avatar) does not support bluetooth :sad: and it's quite expensive earphone (sound quality is great) to put it aside for bluetooth.

Edited by Zizone

Yep. Unfortunately, my MDR-EX700 SL (picture shown as my avatar) does not support bluetooth :sad: and it's quite expensive earphone (sound quality is great) to put it aside for bluetooth.

You can still use ordinary earphones with the Bluetooth version, it just means you can go wireless as well (if you have BT earphones!!) - but I think most decent earphones are going to out-perform BT ones anyway (within the same price range)

It's the device that supports BT, not the earphones. But if you don't need BT, there's no point in buying a model that supports it, it's just a waste of extra money.

You can still use ordinary earphones with the Bluetooth version, it just means you can go wireless as well (if you have BT earphones!!) - but I think most decent earphones are going to out-perform BT ones anyway (within the same price range)

It's the device that supports BT, not the earphones. But if you don't need BT, there's no point in buying a model that supports it, it's just a waste of extra money.

Yes, I know. What I meant was that to give up great MDR-EX700 and go buy bluetooth headphone was not the way I wanted to go. And, I understand it supports both 3.5mm and bluetooth. I just chose not to include bluetooth since I don't have real use for it. I can see others who use it a lot but as for me I just don't use it much, which may change in future ofcouse.

Edit:

Or I can go buy that BT receiver with 3.5mm but... they are too bulky for me altough they have shape similar to MD remote days... but not quite small as MD remotes...

Anyways, I can't wait till I try NWZ-A720 B)

Edited by Zizone

Yes, I know. What I meant was that to give up great MDR-EX700 and go buy bluetooth headphone was not the way I wanted to go. And, I understand it supports both 3.5mm and bluetooth. I just chose not to include bluetooth since I don't have real use for it. I can see others who use it a lot but as for me I just don't use it much, which may change in future ofcouse.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I also don't need Bluetooth and can't see myself needing (or wanting it) in the near future. That's why it's a shame they're not releasing the 729 in the UK. I guess they think we all use BT????

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I also don't need Bluetooth and can't see myself needing (or wanting it) in the near future. That's why it's a shame they're not releasing the 729 in the UK. I guess they think we all use BT????

:o Umm... you really don't need to apologize.

It seems like BT getting more poplular, especially among cell-phone users. But only BT devices I have is my laptop and PS3. But, those earphones with BT do look very convenient; I wonder what it sounds like.

Edited by Zizone

Hi Juli,

Just to update you, I went into the Sony Centre in Manchester earlier today and I asked when they expected to have the new models available, and the guy there told me in 3-4 weeks, end of March at the earliest, though he did not have an exact date. I asked him specifically whether it was just the bluetooth A82x series we would get or also the non BT A72x series, and he said ALL models would be available, in all capacities. Prices have not been confirmed yet either. Good news I think! Fingers crossed they stick to this then!

Hi Doohickey ( and other friends)!

Must say I'm still very much "believe it when I see it in the flesh"!!! ( Not dis-believing what you are reporting at all!!) But we've had lots of instances in the past where individual Sony shop people have given info - which turns out not to be true /happen etc!! ( The firmware upgrades for the 800 series being just one example)

I'm still concerned that the Sony Uk site still says/shows 820 series as "up to 8gb" - there's no 829 listed at all. If you go into SonyStyle Europe site - most country links only show 8gb - Germany being one exception showing the 16gb. Why would they have differences like this???

Would love 16gb - but as others have said "can 32gb be far behind??!!

Hi Juli, I asked him specifically whether it was just the bluetooth A82x series we would get or also the non BT A72x series, and he said ALL models would be available

Thanks for that Doohickey. Although Sony likes to provide more misinformation than information, it's still reassuring to hear/hope that this time it's correct :lol:

shirleywhite - As Amazon UK have the 16GB version listed on its website (available for preorder), I'd have to assume that Doohickey was given (believe it or not), the correct info for once, or else why would Amazon have it listed? Of course, it still makes no sense that the Sony UK site hasn't listed it, but I've long given up trying to fathom that out!

Thanks Juli - like you i'm hoping that what Doohickey was told turns out to be correct!!!

I've about 90% convinced myself that the 16gb 829 is the one for me - but i'm not hugely worried about/needing the bluetooth to be honest. It's the 16gb ( plus Sony build/sound etc !!) which I'd like. But if the 720 version is identical (and available! ?) apart from BT - then I'd seriously consider that!! Wonder if there's any other "differences" between 820/720??? For instance - if I get an 820 - but leave BT off - is the battery performance going to be as good as 720?? With BT squeezed into the 820 - is there anything else which got left out cf the 720?? Cant wait for some detailed reviews of these two to help me make up my mind.

Regards.