NWZ-A82x-series (4, 8, 16 GB)

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/sony-nw...dp-hit-the-fcc/

That is the link.

Reading one of the pdfs, it states from january 12th

"the applicant requests the following documents contained in this certification application to be temporarily withheld from public disclosure for an initial period of 45 days:

external photos

internal photos

test setup photos

users manual

Meaning that february 26th might be the day we get more information regarding the new unit :P or perhaps earlier. There is an image of the back of the unit and it seems to be similar to the current 81x series with some differences.

post-3550-1134744403_thumb.jpg

Mainly that the reset button is on the back of the unit, using the diagram as reference, the device should be 86 to 87mm tall and 46 to 47mm wide. give or take half a mm. In addition it seems that the head phone jack is on the side now? now the bottom.

There appears to be 3 models on the way:

826 - 4 GB

828 - 8 GB

829 - 16 GB

headphones appear to be the same EX82 with an extension cable of 1.5 m, it also appears to have bluetooth. That's all I could get out of the documents.

link to FCC site

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...'AK8NWZA820

• Answers 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wonder if there's any other "differences" between 820/720??? For instance - if I get an 820 - but leave BT off - is the battery performance going to be as good as 720?? With BT squeezed into the 820 - is there anything else which got left out cf the 720?? Regards.

As far as I know, the 729 is identical (spec wise) to the 829 except for BT. I read the battery life for the 829 is about 30 hours and for the 729 about 36 hours. I'm assuming the BT is what reduces the battery life of the 829, but I'm sure there must be a way to turn it off if it's not needed.

Sony and their segmented markets... :sad:

Glad I found this forum searching the net, had no idea there was a A729 coming.

Had the A829 on preorder (with the BT headset), going to cancel it. Sure BT

nice for some but for me it no use at all, reason I stick to the Sony players

is the sound quality combined with a premium set of earphones. Plus

I am paranoid :unsure: , you never know what makes a piece o equipment

break down, less in it... and so on.

But no sign o the A720 series in Europe, and retailers in the US

don't ship to Europe that I know o, anyone have any idea where

to get it when it's released that ships over here?

Edited by PeterG

No A820 series on Sony Australia's website yet-they still list the previous A810 series.

Australia is going to be the last country to get anything new in terms of electronic gadgets, espeically things from sony, that's just the situation in here, DSC-T300 is going to be out soon, yet sony australia informs u of T200.

by the time I get either a A829 or a A729 on my quick trip to hongkong, australia sony probably still will not say anything about new walkman......when they do sell it, then the price will be very scary, from sony hongkong $380 AUD is enough to buy a NWZ-A829 (16G)+DR-BT22 or BT20NX, $283AUD for a 8GB model+DR-BT22 or BT20NX, but of course A72X series will even be cheaper when it comes out.

mate Australia is just not a top priority for many consumer electronic companies. Hongkong is just one of those regions that Sony attends to first on the list as if it's a tradition. I guess Sony has a stronger consumer base in Asia compare to their difficult time over in other ipod dominated countries. By the way I think that we are not even getting huge amount of wii shipment each time delivered to Australia, cause Japan, US and other pal countries are the biggest concern for nintendo to fulfill first. But NWZ line of products doesn't deliver 100% satisfaction for an atrac fan, NW-A82X in japan is just way too mind blowing(atrac+bt+nc)

browsing through this thread, the a820 series looks pretty cool, but in my case it is just basically a bigger A818, as i really don't need bluetooth. I was really disappointed that sony once again didn't include on the go playlist functionality or gapless :sad: You would think that they would already, since most of the competition out there it already has it for OTG playlists!

But oh well, sound is all that matters!

Hi,

does anybody know if Sony plans to release a 32GB Version? I PRAY for this! :-)

And does Sony now use a reflective screen for outside use? I have a 818 and the screen is UNUSABLE outdoors if the sun's shining :-(

Edited by T.W.G

Was browsing the Sonystyle website when the new players appeared on it, to my suprise.

prices and availability.

NWZA829B (16GB) is available now at 319.99 CAN

NWZS716FB (4GB) is available now at 149.99 CAN (come with noise cancellation headphones)

all the others are for pre order for now, others being:

NWZA826KB (219.99 with The DRBT21G Bluetooth headphones, april 4th)

NWZA728B

NWZA728P

NWZA726S

NWZA726B

NWZA726P

the 8GB model with no bluetooth is 199.99 CAN, where as the bluetooth 8 GB model is not on sale at all. the 16GB model is the same prices as the US model so that is a nice thing to see, but we didn't get any 8 GB bluetooth models at all for some reason. Shame Canada was one of the markets where the device came later, we usually got stuff at the same time or even before the US. :/

Took a walk up to the Sony Centre, Tottenham Court Road today to see if the new Sony players would be in stock. I was told it would be with in the next two months. Why do Sony do this? Dangle them in front of our noses for months on end before releasing them. Crap marketing!!! :sad:

Guest Stuge

Took a walk up to the Sony Centre, Tottenham Court Road today to see if the new Sony players would be in stock. I was told it would be with in the next two months. Why do Sony do this? Dangle them in front of our noses for months on end before releasing them. Crap marketing!!! :sad:

Yes ,thats shocking :(

Markey

To be honest I'd never buy any product from a Sony Centre. Most people on this board have more knowledge than the staff employed within these stores, plus the prices they quote are outrageous. It's cheaper on-line ( I think Amazon are selling them for 209 GBP)

Markey

To be honest I'd never buy any product from a Sony Centre. Most people on this board have more knowledge than the staff employed within these stores, plus the prices they quote are outrageous. It's cheaper on-line ( I think Amazon are selling them for 209 GBP)

Oh no! No intention of buying one. Just wanted to see if they were out in the shops yet or when they would be coming out. I thought they were to be released this month, especially since they have been on the Sony website since February.

Well, it looks like I'll be getting the 16GB in a few days. I had pre-ordered form the Sony Style, but changed my mind, and sent an e-mail to that effect. I just received an e-mail telling me that it has been dispatched. I'll try & post some pics and a review soon ( don't tell the wife !!!! :lol: )

Well, it looks like I'll be getting the 16GB in a few days. I had pre-ordered form the Sony Style, but changed my mind, and sent an e-mail to that effect. I just received an e-mail telling me that it has been dispatched. I'll try & post some pics and a review soon ( don't tell the wife !!!! :lol: )

Show-off! :D

Edited by markey

Too late. Busted.

Does anyone know of service manuals available for the a82x series.

I realise they're only new out, but I'm curious to know how easy they are to get into

and if you're able to upgrade the memory in them.

32gb compact flash available (and 64gb apparantly). Sounds like the perfect upgrade to me.

Has anyone pulled theirs apart yet??

Prices are crazy in Aus even though we are 90c to the US dollar the prices are still way off.

The price for the A729 is going to be nearing $400 for the 16GB with no mention of the A829 16GB or the S718

That's a very normal Sony australia style price, normally they are just this crazy, they give you a non bt walkman NWZ-A729 for $400 AUD, that's a huge amount of money for only A720 standard walkman, their crazy price has always turned people off, plus their bad service, limited knowledge on the products etc, therefore people may as well just go ahead with cheaper ipod, which is the reality in down under anyway

Sony's Chile brought the NWZ-A828K here, but I think is rather expensive (US$ 225) for just 8GB.

I know it sounds good and got a nice (and easy) GUI, but there is no better solution (more storage) for that price around ?

To me bluetooth is useless, I prefer to go with quality, wired, and a lot more storage than bluetooth and a bt phones.

Please, no ipod that crap trully sucks. I could get a Zune for $300, but currently I don't have an International CC.

Gradius

Edited by Gradius