Any ATRAC Walkman users been using their PS3?

Rate this question

Jillako

Question

I can't be the only person using my PS3 with my ATRAC Walkman devices!

I have a 60GB PS3 that I've been using to play/rip/store music files. I really appreciated the feature where you could connect your Walkman devices (tried with NW-S205F, NW-E005F and NW-S705F) and copy music from the PS3 to your Walkman without having to use a PC.

In fact, this was the only way I could get my father to use the NW-E005F that I gifted him.

Somehow, this feature has abruptly stopped working. I don't remember when, but I am guessing that it was the last PS3 Firmware upgrade. Now, the music gets copied to the Walkman and you can play it from the PS3, however the Walkman itself cannot see the music that was copied from the PS3.

Any other forum members run into the same issue?

10 answers to this question

I can't be the only person using my PS3 with my ATRAC Walkman devices!

I have a 60GB PS3 that I've been using to play/rip/store music files. I really appreciated the feature where you could connect your Walkman devices (tried with NW-S205F, NW-E005F and NW-S705F) and copy music from the PS3 to your Walkman without having to use a PC.

In fact, this was the only way I could get my father to use the NW-E005F that I gifted him.

Somehow, this feature has abruptly stopped working. I don't remember when, but I am guessing that it was the last PS3 Firmware upgrade. Now, the music gets copied to the Walkman and you can play it from the PS3, however the Walkman itself cannot see the music that was copied from the PS3.

Any other forum members run into the same issue?

I sold my PS3 about a month ago and back in January I could (and did) use the PS3 to transfer music to my PSP. You were able to trasnfer ATRAC files to devices other than the PSP? The S7xx???? WOW!!! That suprises me, but it doesn't surprise me that Sony removed that ability.

When you said you transferred music to the S7xx series....let me understand this....did you transfer as AAC, MP3, or did you actually transfer as ATRAC files? Did you try to transfer with the A80x series???

Joe

The feature has changed some how to work for NWZ series only, as far as I understand. I mean for AAC, MP3 and WMA but not ATRAC since NWZ series does not support ATRAC. As for the previous NW series, e.g. NW-S700 series, no longer works... But, PSP should work fine though.

Edited by Zizone

The feature has changed some how to work for NWZ series only, as far as I understand. I mean for AAC, MP3 and WMA but not ATRAC since NWZ series does not support ATRAC. As for the previous NW series, e.g. NW-S700 series, no longer works... But, PSP should work fine though.

I wonder if the Japanese model of the PS3 still supports the transfer of ATRAC files to the A808...I don't understand Sony's need to remove a feature that wasn't causing any harm, one way or another.

Joe

I wonder if the Japanese model of the PS3 still supports the transfer of ATRAC files to the A808...I don't understand Sony's need to remove a feature that wasn't causing any harm, one way or another.

Joe

Because they want you to go out and buy their latest Walkman.

When you said you transferred music to the S7xx series....let me understand this....did you transfer as AAC, MP3, or did you actually transfer as ATRAC files? Did you try to transfer with the A80x series???

I don't have a A80x walkman unfortunately. I had been regularly transferring MP3 & AAC files to my NW-S705F, and I am fairly sure I transferred ATRAC at least on one occasion. I used the PS3 to rip the CD to ATRAC and transferred it.

I seriously doubt that considering Sony doesn't even advertise that the PS3 can transfer files to the NWZ series players.

Yup, my thoughts exactly! I never understood why they did not advertise this feature, as it lets users get by without using SonicStage.

Zizone, can you reveal the source of your information? I'd like to know if this is supported for the NWZ series before I buy one.

Joe

I am using Japanese PS3 and it has not worked with previous Japanese NW-S700 series. So, it has never worked with my JP PS3 and JP Walkman.

I don't think it's a move to have consumers convert to NWZ series, because NWZ series is not out in Japan and uses NW series with SonicStage.