New Sony DAPs?

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

So it is that time of the year again, september is soon upon us and apple is destined to reveal new ipods, and dell is apparently getting into the DAP game as well. But we don't really need to discuss ipods and dells.

So I ask if anyone knows, or has seen or heard anything from the rumour mills or on the grape vein. IFA is coming up in late august but I don't think sony will introduce any players there?

My 818 is serving me more than enough, but its been almost a year since I got it, and there are competitors out there that alread have been units on sale. I am unsure of the sales success of the newest units, haven't heard anything so I am guessing average sales for a sony.

I do hope sony adds more video codec support to their devices, such as wmv, and divx and others, touchscreen, not really, prefer buttons, although who knows what will sony choose. I do hope they look more walkman like (older 800 series) rather than sony ericsson like.

Anywho, curious to hear other people's opinion.

Just thought I'd say hello - from a newly registered member! (Though I recognise a name or two from other/older forums)
Hey Shirley, welcome!! I beat you here by a few days :D

I never bothered with 810's ( as max was 8gb - and Iwas fairly ok with SStage/Atrac) But I got an 829 purely to have 16gb. (And although a very good player -

I actually miss the on the fly playlists/rating etc that 808 can do)

Me too. I toyed with the idea of selling my 829 a while ago, then decided against it... and then sold it last week! I spent quite a bit of money on home stereo equipment and needed to recoup some money. Now I'm using the 808 again (alongside my Zune), I'd forgotten how much I appreciated on-the-fly playlists, and deleting directly from the player. So I'm happy with my 808 again :)

I'd like to see Sony stop segregating the market so illogically. This country gets Bluetooth, that country doesn't - this country gets noise cancelling heaphones, that country doesn't. This country gets pink, blue and silver models, that country gets black... I don't understand any of that. And I'd also like to see them stop taking away useful features. No one expects a new 'flagship' model to lose features from a previous series. And (I may be in the minority here), but I'd like to see a brand new Sony HD. There's obviously a market for higher capacity daps, and the NW HD5 is still popular today, so why not? i'd love to have one.

Ooh, and what about giving their daps a NORMAL NAME??? How does NWZA829 roll off the tongue? It takes me half an hour to type it :)

Hi Juli

Agree re HD5 - got one of those too - though rarely use it these days. Lovely build IMHO ( apart from early ones with buttons cracking - my black version never suffered!) Loved the STANDARD usb lead to charge/transfer. Also replaceable battery(I bought a spare!)

Now if Sony updated HD5 to say 160gb (like ipod classic) i'm sure there'd be a goodish market from "need entire music collection with me" crowd! Then a 800/820 ish sized flash player ( say 32gb) would appeal to slightly different market ....................well, um................. I'd buy both(!) ...................... confession of a Sony addict time!!!!

regards

Don't expect sony to go back to HDD, they left that field with their a1000 and a3000 players, since flash is better at battery life, and doesn't skip and smaller in size, but of course capacity is an issue, but at 16-32 gigs and probably soon 64, I just hope when this new sony player arrives, probably an A series since the new S series kind of replaces the older a series in similar design and style, that it won't be priced out of this world.

crapple, tell us more!!! I assume no on-th-go playlists & no deleting directly from the player?

No on-the-go playlists & no deleting from player. There is a function to add a song to the wishlist. No idea what it does :huh: . I really don't have to the time to write a review, since the new academical year has started. If you have questions, shoot! I noticed the player has no metal casing, it's a plastic like case. You can call it premium plastic :P.

Could sony be waiting for the all important christmas shopping season before debuting this new device? It's too late to cash in on the school season now so wouldn't make sense to debut it in october or september. Although I remember the older A1000/3000 series debuted in mid/late novemeber here and into early decemeber when they came out.

The build quality is good, but don't expect something special. Plastic materials are used. I think Sony has 3 walkman lines:

E series = budget

S series = normal

A series = premium

If I'm right S-series have something special like noise cancellation function inbuilt