New Sony DAPs?

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

So it is that time of the year again, september is soon upon us and apple is destined to reveal new ipods, and dell is apparently getting into the DAP game as well. But we don't really need to discuss ipods and dells.

So I ask if anyone knows, or has seen or heard anything from the rumour mills or on the grape vein. IFA is coming up in late august but I don't think sony will introduce any players there?

My 818 is serving me more than enough, but its been almost a year since I got it, and there are competitors out there that alread have been units on sale. I am unsure of the sales success of the newest units, haven't heard anything so I am guessing average sales for a sony.

I do hope sony adds more video codec support to their devices, such as wmv, and divx and others, touchscreen, not really, prefer buttons, although who knows what will sony choose. I do hope they look more walkman like (older 800 series) rather than sony ericsson like.

Anywho, curious to hear other people's opinion.

So it is that time of the year again, september is soon upon us and apple is destined to reveal new ipods, and dell is apparently getting into the DAP game as well. But we don't really need to discuss ipods and dells.

So I ask if anyone knows, or has seen or heard anything from the rumour mills or on the grape vein. IFA is coming up in late august but I don't think sony will introduce any players there?

My 818 is serving me more than enough, but its been almost a year since I got it, and there are competitors out there that alread have been units on sale. I am unsure of the sales success of the newest units, haven't heard anything so I am guessing average sales for a sony.

I do hope sony adds more video codec support to their devices, such as wmv, and divx and others, touchscreen, not really, prefer buttons, although who knows what will sony choose. I do hope they look more walkman like (older 800 series) rather than sony ericsson like.

Anywho, curious to hear other people's opinion.

To be honest I think that Sony should let their latest DAPs (A829,818 etc) bed in. I think that always responding to what Apple, or Dell or Microsoft do, is more of a knee jerk reaction. I would much prefer for them to take their time, listen to customer feed back, and then realise their products onto the market. Also in these turbelant times, who can afford to get a new DAP every year. Well, I can't ;)

@Ascariss:Did you see new Cowon P5 player ?

Well,like you I haven't bought any Sony walkman since last July .As Sony India took too long to release NWZ series here and now Cowon has unveiled its new player ,Cowon P5 which looks really nice and I'm really looking forward to these new players

http://www.i4u.com/article19184.html

Even right now Sony India is selling NWZ-A726 in 4gb model ,when 16gb model is available in US :(

http://www.sony.co.in/productcategory/pa-mp3-walkman and now

Haven't seen these anywhere else but sony New Zealand seems to be about to release some entry level mp3 players. see here: http://www.sony.co.nz/walkman/product/mp3-...e/nwze438fb.jsp

wow !

they doesn't looked like entry level players .players seems like a little tweak in design of A61x series .

the cowon is too big for me, I want something smaller, and no touchscreen is needed. As for sony taking their time, sure they can but why have old products on the shelf? It would be a shame if sony decided not to update this year.

Ok,Well,It seems India to be dumping ground for Sony .They mostly sell those players which are outdated or out of production .Very lame on Sony's part .

yeah it looks like it's entry level in the sense that it doesn't have quality headphones, and none of the clear stereo, clear bass sound features etc. But I do like the sound of 45 hours of audio playback compared to the 33hrs my A818 gets. Lets hope this player finally has the A808 features of playlists and deleting on the player.

:D Hi all!!! Just wanted to say I'm anxiously waiting for a Sony mp3 Walkman w/32gb of memory + an FM radio. 3" screen size would be nice for videos but I'll settle for capacity and the EXCELLENT SQ off the Sony players. :P

Well,We are all hoping that Sony will launch new Mp3 players soon:)

There's also NWZ-B130 series:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/sonys-n...ts-way-to-asia/

NWZ-E has limited EQ-no Clear Stereo, Clear Bass or DSEE it seems.

announced on the main page as well

see NWZ-B130F

Well, Sony did care for these, but since most of the people stopped using ATRAC Sony has dropped those, for the people who stopped using ATRAC let�s hope she come back with grapples on AAC.

I couldn't care less for atrac, the codec for me was a waste of time and resources and caused nothing but trouble for sony. Gapless can be achieved with AAC as you mentione and with mp3 as well, probably is sony doesn't seem to care to implement either or both, I thought they were an innovater in the music field, guess I was wrong.

The new walkman series are imho fine. I wonder how the E serie compares to the S serie in terms of sound quality (disregarding the differences in megabassbling functions between the two). I'm very curious to find out if Sony has jumped back to gapless playback. Remarkable, the E serie (45hrs) has a longer battery life than the S serie (40hrs).

I couldn't care less for atrac, the codec for me was a waste of time and resources and caused nothing but trouble for sony. Gapless can be achieved with AAC as you mentione and with mp3 as well, probably is sony doesn't seem to care to implement either or both, I thought they were an innovater in the music field, guess I was wrong.

Well, i

FM tuner is a gimmick, I hardly even listen to the crappy radio stations here, now if they made it so you could get online radio stations via wifi at hotspots, then I would support that.

It is clear the newest players are in no way, shape or form the top of the line from sony, so that would mean something else is due. We can only guess it is some kind of successor to the A series.

Design of this new top of the liner would have to be one of the things that stands out, otherwise the dap will get lost in a crowd of others. Second, price, if sony decides to price this into ridiculous territory, people won't buy it like they do with the apples and their expensive pricing (note itouch).

finally features, of course open and free platform and plenty of new codec support!!! the other brands do it, why doesn't sony? Are they afraid? Don't be a chicken sony, try new things.

I just hope sony isn't waiting for apple to release its own new daps before showing of their new one.

yes the new ones are the same as before MTP, but will work with other OS.

Sony's Open Platform Means More Choice

The E- and S-series WALKMAN® players support an open platform, providing more choices for downloading and managing music and video collections online. The devices support security-enhanced Windows Media Audio (WMA), as well as non-secure AAC, linear PCM and MP3 music formats plus JPEG files for photos, in addition to the WMV with DRM, AVC (H.264/AVC) Baseline Profile and MPEG-4 video codecs.

Good question, what could be described as "ground-breaking" for song?

its not gapless, they have done that already. perhaps its lossless? flac and the like?

next might be a lot more codec support for video, xvid, and so forth. (this I would like to see)

maybe a full out touch screen display, in wide screen, minimal buttons, only perhaps volume, power and hold.

perhaps it will be something completely different and not be part of the walkman brand?

I don't know, I just hope it goes on sale before october. :/

Just thought I'd say hello - from a newly registered member! (Though I recognise a name or two from other/older forums)

Re new daps - I would say the big thing for me is for Sony to keep pace with "capacity" - rather than tinker/tweak too much and have too many similar products. I'm thinking of 800/810/820 series. I got an 808 mainly to have an 8gb player. I never bothered with 810's ( as max was 8gb - and Iwas fairly ok with SStage/Atrac) But I got an 829 purely to have 16gb. (And although a very good player - I actually miss the on the fly playlists/rating etc that 808 can do)

If Sony bring out a 32gb player I'll buy - but further revamping ( with things like fm radio or bigger screen) will not be for me!! (But appreciate that this is very much a personal issue -YMMV etc!!)

Anyway - regards to all - hope this forum flourishes - like atraclife used to - but guess now migrated over to here!!