NWZ-A72X and NWZ-A82X series

Rate this question

Walkman728

Question

Let's discuss Sony Walkman A72X and A82X features here. Ask questions, provide answers, and share tips regarding this player.

I'll get the ball rolling by saying the A728 is a great player. Much better soundstage than in my previous MP3 player. The menu system is very well-organized and easy-to-use.

I've discovered some missing features but I hope Sony quickly addresses these by providing a firmware upgrade that adds the following features:

1. On-the-go (OTG) playlists
  2. Flash memory information ("Total Memory," "Used Memory," and "Free Memory") on the player's "Unit Information" screen
  3. Two speeds for fast-forwarding through a track (fast, and very fast) - currently, there's only the slower speed
  4. A "5 second" option on the "Screensaver Timing" menu (to save battery power) - currently, "15 seconds" is the smallest timeout option
Edited by Walkman728

31 answers to this question

Sony has been historically very slow to offer firmware upgrades for their mp3 players. Seeing as how the older A81x & S61x series have never had firmware upgrades that include features like OTG playlists, I wouldn't hold my breath that a firmware upgrade is coming.

It would be really nice-- but don't count on it ever happening.

Sorry to kinda go off-topic, but the SonicStage versions of these players apparently still have the old "Bookmark" function. So it's probably something Sony just decided to leave out, or won't have the resources to add until the next generation.

Yes, I have the 808 which uses SS/Atrac. The 818 seems to have been brought out for people who were sick of SS and wanted drag and drop. The gapless feature, on-the-fly playlists, ratings etc are tied to SS/Atrac. It's like Sony thought it would be a good idea to give us each 'half' a player, instead of combining the 2 so we had the best of both worlds wrapped up in one model. Did they think to combine to 'join' those 2 halves together for the new 82x series? No. . . . .

Yes, I have the 808 which uses SS/Atrac. The 818 seems to have been brought out for people who were sick of SS and wanted drag and drop. The gapless feature, on-the-fly playlists, ratings etc are tied to SS/Atrac. It's like Sony thought it would be a good idea to give us each 'half' a player, instead of combining the 2 so we had the best of both worlds wrapped up in one model. Did they think to combine to 'join' those 2 halves together for the new 82x series? No. . . . .

You're totally right, I couldn't believe Sony decided to forgo the option of OTG playlists & ratings!!! A SECOND time i might add! But seriously what have they got to lose?

Edited by cliffster115

I'll get the ball rolling by saying the A728 is a great player.

Much better soundstage than in my previous MP3 player.

You haven't said what your previous mp3 player was!! If it was a Sony, which model? If it was an unknown brand (or an iPod!!), I'd expect the Sony to crush it anyway. So what model were you comparing it with?

I just picked up the NWZ-A7xx model from best buy and turned around and returned it. I didn't like the Rhapsody icon in the menu. More importantly, while the screen is wonderful, Sony went the cheap route on this player. Except for the area where the buttons are located, it is cheap PLASTIC!!!! The A800 and A810 models have sold metal bodies, but not the new ones. I am so disappointed that I turned instantly around and returned it to Besy Buy. This was for my wife, but now I will just get her the A818 model since they both have 8GB of memory.

I had hoped to go with the A829 model with 16GB of RAM, heck I even considered on importing the SS-based model. I am so happy I checked this player out at Best Buy.

Is anyone else disappointed about this, or am I just a big baby? :)

I just picked up the NWZ-A7xx model from best buy and turned around and returned it. I didn't like the Rhapsody icon in the menu. More importantly, while the screen is wonderful, Sony went the cheap route on this player. Except for the area where the buttons are located, it is cheap PLASTIC!!!! The A800 and A810 models have sold metal bodies, but not the new ones. I am so disappointed that I turned instantly around and returned it to Besy Buy. This was for my wife, but now I will just get her the A818 model since they both have 8GB of memory.

I had hoped to go with the A829 model with 16GB of RAM, heck I even considered on importing the SS-based model. I am so happy I checked this player out at Best Buy.

Personally, I really don't see the new NWZ models worth it to me at the moment. There's just the addition of bluetooth (which I don't use and probably won't because I like quality wired headphones) and a larger screen (which won't have any significan't value for me since I don't watch any videos on my A818 to say the least). Not to mention, I'm absolutely disappointed that Sony failed to include a small software features such as OTG playlists and ratings!! And plus i really like the solid metal contruction of my A818 and smaller footprint.

So no you're not the only one :D

I will surely forgo the NWZ 829 model as it is too expensive and doesn´t fix the missing otg playlisting and ratings features.

Featurewise it´s a logical evolution but nothing that exudes real engineering skill. Too lame to warrant a buy. I hope Apple release a 16 gig nano this September with the Classic´s sound chip

plus better, faster controls. I don´t see Sony gathering enough momentum lately. The 818 was a right move but why not ready such a move every 6-9 months?

This may sound stupid, but one thing I don't like about the new units (in addition to what everyone else has already mentioned) is that they changed the overall design AGAIN. Can't they find something they like and stick with it? There is nothing wrong with the look of the NWZ-A8xx series - quit wasting time on changing stuff that doesn't need to be changed and give us some new features!

This may sound stupid, but one thing I don't like about the new units (in addition to what everyone else has already mentioned) is that they changed the overall design AGAIN. Can't they find something they like and stick with it? There is nothing wrong with the look of the NWZ-A8xx series - quit wasting time on changing stuff that doesn't need to be changed and give us some new features!

Not going to happen. Japanese company = Japanese mentality. I love Japan and my Japanese friends are great, but they are so very fickle. The flit from fad to fad constantly. Look what Sony has produced in the last few years...HD1, HD2, HD3 (changed), HD5 (changed), A1000/A1200/A3000 (changed), A800/A810 (changed), A728/A828 (changed)...kinda following a pattern.

I upgraded from the A816 pink to an A818 silver (neither color shows fingerprints like the black does). I think I will import the A808 model soon. Could someone save me a bit of money and tell me how hard it would be to find one of the A808 models in Tokyo this coming May? Thanks.

I really wanted the extra 8GB of memory, but oh well.

OH. Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the MTP transfer on the A818 and just do true USB like on a Mac or Linux machine? Or does Windows always default to MTP???

Joe

Edited by lamewing

If u are going to Japan, then NW-A800 series is very easy to find, they are still being sold in Japan. In general consumer electronic goods stores u will be able to pick it up. It is a well received Walkman from the local consumers. I always find it also easy to order from Amazon Japan, cause they deliver to where u are located in Japan, it saves time and I get to do other things in Japan instead of trying to locate a Walkman. They must have discontinued NW-A800 series in other regions but in Japan and China, cause Sony China is also having huge amount of the stocks as well. If u are not in Japan, then u can only import atrac walkman online, which is of course too easy to do.

All MP3 players have been getting cheaper look and feel over the years, it's not just Sony. I was very disappointed by the difference in material between the 3G and 4G iPods! As for how to stop that, I think that's beyond the scope of this thread, but I say people need to stop demanding cheaper products. You get what you pay for.

A very important detail on the A800 - you probably have noticed - is a shutter that covers up the WM PORT at the bottom. That's also disappeared from the A820, and I imagine it's because 90% of people who bought it don't really mind not having it. If we care about the finer details enough, I think it would definitely help to ask for them and complain about their absence. That's how we got out of the SonicStage situation.

I think the NWZ players default to MTP in Windows XP and Vista. The only way I know for getting UMS is using the players on a Mac or Linux machine. :D

Edited by cauldron

All MP3 players have been getting cheaper look and feel over the years, it's not just Sony. I was very disappointed by the difference in material between the 3G and 4G iPods! As for how to stop that, I think that's beyond the scope of this thread, but I say people need to stop demanding cheaper products. You get what you pay for.

A very important detail on the A800 - you probably have noticed - is a shutter that covers up the WM PORT at the bottom. That's also disappeared from the A820, and I imagine it's because 90% of people who bought it don't really mind not having it. If we care about the finer details enough, I think it would definitely help to ask for them and complain about their absence. That's how we got out of the SonicStage situation.

I think the NWZ players default to MTP in Windows XP and Vista. The only way I know for getting UMS is using the players on a Mac or Linux machine. :D

While the NWZ does in deed default to MTP, this behaviour can be stopped using Window´s control panel. All you need to do is point Windows to a new driver under device manager. Pick generic UMS and you are all set.

Regards,

ceres

If u are going to Japan, then NW-A800 series is very easy to find, they are still being sold in Japan. In general consumer electronic goods stores u will be able to pick it up. It is a well received Walkman from the local consumers. I always find it also easy to order from Amazon Japan, cause they deliver to where u are located in Japan, it saves time and I get to do other things in Japan instead of trying to locate a Walkman. They must have discontinued NW-A800 series in other regions but in Japan and China, cause Sony China is also having huge amount of the stocks as well. If u are not in Japan, then u can only import atrac walkman online, which is of course too easy to do.

Hey, would you be kind enough to answer a question for me? What is the current price for the A808 models in Japan in yen? I am curious how much of a mark up is involved with the ebay sellers and whether it is worth the wait or not. Thanks.

Joe

edit.... I just looked on amazon.jp and the new A808 run 25,000 yen. With the current terrible exchange rate, that is the same as what the sellers on ebay are adking or even a little bit more. No need to wait because I don't think our economy will magically improve in the next two months.

Joe

Edited by lamewing

Hi all - I hadnt really appreciated the point about the walkman port door/flap until Cauldron mentioned it!! Tend to agree about build/feel etc - prefer a solid - metal usually - case myself. The HD1 (IMHO) was a lovely piece of "metal" - on a par with my beloved NH1 minidisc ( for build and feel )

I think i'll wait on the 72X and82X until i can actually play with one in my hands. It's not going to have that "brushed magnesium" feel I fear!!!

Regards.

Hi all - I hadnt really appreciated the point about the walkman port door/flap until Cauldron mentioned it!! Tend to agree about build/feel etc - prefer a solid - metal usually - case myself. The HD1 (IMHO) was a lovely piece of "metal" - on a par with my beloved NH1 minidisc ( for build and feel )

I think i'll wait on the 72X and82X until i can actually play with one in my hands. It's not going to have that "brushed magnesium" feel I fear!!!

Regards.

Nope. The front isn't too noticeable as the control area is aluminum and the screen takes up the rest of the front, but the back and sides are clearly a cheap plastic.

Sony needs to figure out that 1)Metal bodies are better and 2)keep a body style more than a year. They need to see that stability this has given Apple and apply it to themselves.

While the NWZ does in deed default to MTP, this behaviour can be stopped using Window´s control panel. All you need to do is point Windows to a new driver under device manager. Pick generic UMS and you are all set.

Regards,

ceres

That advice worked like a charm. No more MTP for my Sony's.

This may sound stupid, but one thing I don't like about the new units (in addition to what everyone else has already mentioned) is that they changed the overall design AGAIN.

Yujin Morisawa was the designer for the A1000/3000, S700 and the A800. He was present for the Japanese SonyStyle interview for these three players. But he wasn't there for the A910 and A820. I think it's fairly safe to speculate that Morisawa did not design these newer models, and therefore the design direction flipped back to traditional "Sony style" again - the typical Sony gadget taste before Morisawa was assigned to the Walkman projects. God, that's so tongue-in-cheek of me! :P

The A1000/3000's exterior was designed first, and then the engineers tried to cram everything into the casing. I love his work, but I think this has had some repercussions, such as the button placement (designers in their minds would often like to do away with buttons, so they were perhaps an afterthought), and the overall weight balance (some feel these players are not properly balanced in your hand).

Ok, and what if a friend of mine now in the US buys one for me? I guess the warranty is not valid in Europe am I right? Also, I guess the GUI is in English only... (or is it multilingual?)

If it's bought at BestBuy, it's English only. I learned it the hard way. BustBuy seems to sell customized versions that work with their own online music store.

(Oh, BestBuy is an electronics store in the US, in case you don't know)

I don't know if it's multilingual if you buy it straight from Sony USA, if someone here knows, please speak up, thanks!

Edited by intellidryad

ceres, thanks for the MTP --> UMS tip. If the Walkman is in UMS mode, would the Walkman's total, used, and free memory information be visible in Windows Explorer?

juli, my previous player was the Samsung Z5. The advantages the Z5 had over the A728 are an all-metal body, free/used memory information on the player, MANY firmware upgrades, and OTG playlists (via a firmware upgrade).

The A728's comparative advantages vs. the Samsung Z5 are that the A728 is significantly bigger, has a MUCH nicer and larger screen, MUCH better menu system, MUCH better soundstage, more elegant look (especially the black version), max volume setting, and tons of other features that the Z5 lacks. I think Samsung is heading in the wrong direction and I dislike all their new players for various reasons - T10, S5, P2. Sony, IMHO, is heading in the right direction, albeit slowly.

General observations after using the A728 for a week: it's a great player. Yes, the A81X is all-metal but I prefer the larger size of the A728 - I think it looks more refined and elegant and it's got a bigger screen (the menus are larger than that of the A81X, a noticeable improvement). Sony had no choice but to keep changing MP3 player designs, from generation to generation, because it was way behind Apple, design/style-wise. Trial and error. Sony's catching up. From this point forward, I suspect Sony will make refinements in future generations of its MP3 players because huge changes are no longer necessary. These players look great. Sony SHOULD have made the A72X/A82X with an all-metal body and the plastic HOLD button has a very cheap and flimsy feel. Even so, overall build quality seems good. No need for future Sony players to have major design changes - just needed refinements.

The firmware upgrade capability is built into the A72X/A82X series, so Sony should make use of it. If anyone from Sony's Walkman department is reading this, here's what should be included in a A72X/A82X firmware upgrade, in priority order:

1. OTG playlists
  2. provide two fast-forward speeds (add a new "very fast" speed in addition to the current "fast" speed - there are multiple speeds for viewing videos, why not for music?)
  3. add available/used memory information to the player on the "Unit Information" screen
  4. add a "5 second" option to the "Screensaver Timing" menu
All of these features should be easy to add in a firmware upgrade. Edited by Walkman728

If it's bought at BestBuy, it's English only. I learned it the hard way. BustBuy seems to sell customized versions that work with their own online music store.

(Oh, BestBuy is an electronics store in the US, in case you don't know)

I don't know if it's multilingual if you buy it straight from Sony USA, if someone here knows, please speak up, thanks!

The Sony players (unsure about the A900 series) can display the menuing system in multiple languages. My A818 is in Japanese right now.

The Sony players (unsure about the A900 series) can display the menuing system in multiple languages. My A818 is in Japanese right now.

Thanks for the info. What I am afraid is that they deleted that function from all US models of the A820/A720 series. As far as I know, all A800/A810 modeis are multilingual, unless there is another "BestBuy version of A810" that I don't know of.

For the A820/A720 series, Japanese models are Japanese only, the French pre-release model in the Youtube review is multilingual, yet my US-BestBuy is English only. I really hope to know where I can get a multilingual version.

I've been eying the new A72x/82x series as I'm encoding more music 192Kbps or higher and the 4GB S616F isn't quite cutting it anymore. Outside of the storage upgrade, I'm torn about why I should buy another player. I like the enhancements Walkman728 mentions, but gapless on mp3's would be amazing to bring in on a firmware update. it's the one thing I miss the most from the ATRAC players of old. Supposedly, LAME-encoded mp3's can be played gapless (or so I thought I read at some point.) I can keep dreaming... :)

Thanks for the info. What I am afraid is that they deleted that function from all US models of the A820/A720 series. As far as I know, all A800/A810 modeis are multilingual, unless there is another "BestBuy version of A810" that I don't know of.

For the A820/A720 series, Japanese models are Japanese only, the French pre-release model in the Youtube review is multilingual, yet my US-BestBuy is English only. I really hope to know where I can get a multilingual version.

I played with a A720 from Best Buy for a few days and I was able to change the menu to Japanese.

All of these features should be easy to add in a firmware upgrade.

The previous NWZ series (A81z and S61x) are also firmware upgradeable, but do we see any significant firmware upgrades? Nope, they ended up being discontinued. Heck, the HD1, Vaio Pocket, etc all are firmware upgradeable, but how many firmware upgrades did we see on those? Sony is a consumer electronic company. Providing firmware upgrades with new features will only prohibit consumers from buying their newer products. If you want those features, get the product that have those features, or you will be waiting for a long time until you end up buying the next lineup.

A280 series does deliver impressive BT SQ, I have a pair of Sony DR-BT30QA, however I do notice that there is a sq difference when you pair Sony BT30QA to other devices beside of Walkman, background noise and hiss can happen at worst. I think it is all upto what kind of device that you use, for example samsung mobile and its mp3 players have very average or disappointing bt sq peformance.

A280 series once i started to pair it up with DR-BT30QA, I am satified with its performance, it doesn't have any distortions. It's true wired earphones produce some of the best sq on the go, but this is a nice improvement for 2008 Walkman as it delivers such a clear and balanced bt sq, I am just happy enough with no bad surprises. I don't have a bt adaptor for NW-A800 series, so unfortunately I can't compare A800 and A280's bt sq, but so far A280 bt sq is better than other devices which i have heard such as SE W910, Nokia N82 in particular. I feel that bt sq varies from device to device and different bt phones can also have different sq, that's the finding so far, maybe I am just too excited about bt walkman.