NWZ-A820 / NWZ-A720 Review

Rate this topic

Walkman NWZ-A820/720

NWZ-A720.png

The new Walkman comes with built in Bluetooth version, A820, and one without it, NWZ-A720.

NWZ-A720: 4, 8 and 16 GB models are available with USD150, 200 and 300, respectively.

NWZ-A820: 8 (bundled with Bluetooth headphone) and 16 GB models are available with USD 270 (Bluetooth headphone included) and 320, respectively. As of March 24, 2008.

The one I recently purchased is NWZ-A728 (8GB without built in Bluetooth).

All models supplied with MDR-EX082 earphones!

The biggest improvement in this new line-up is bigger display (2.4inch display), built in Bluetooth (for NWZ-A820) and most important factor, the sound quality.

Supported Formats:

Linear PCM (WAV), AAC, MP3, and WMA (including both DRM and non-DRM, also VBR support).

Software:

Drag-n-drop, Windows Media Player 11, Media Manager for Walkman, etc…

Playstation3.

Design and material quality:

The front design looks very clean with nice blend between aluminum and 2.4inch display.

Option and Back keys are similar to previous NWZ-A710 series and 5-way key is similar to NW-A910 series from Japan. These keys/buttons are imbedded in aluminum material; very similar texture from SonyEricsson’s W890i Walkman phone casing material. These keys feel very soft, not making much clicking sound; it’s really up to user whether they prefer clicking feel and sound (which was the case for NWZ-A810) or smooth and almost no sound (NWZ-A820/720).

The side design is very clean with Bluetooth key on/off key (for NWZ-A820) and dedicated volume control with conveniently located hold key (slide up and down). Design wise is very nice. But, if I have to point out one downside is that the material used for the side only, this silver/chrome rim is not as hard and smooth as previous model NWZ-A810. This is really the only disappointment in terms of material used for this device but the aluminum on front really makes up for it. Overall, it is a solid player.

Display/Screen:

2.4" QVGA LCD Screen (320x240 display).

Obviously, screen size has increased from 2 inch. One other improvement is that the screen is closer to the surface. What I mean is that the picture that is being displayed is closer to the surface of the device, whereas the previous model, NWZ-A810 had a bit of deeper into the device feel.

Sound:

At first, listening my favorite song through MDR-EX700 with NWZ-A728, I immediately noticed subtle difference. There is more space and thus better separation; it has better high and crisper bass. For example, I was very please that is was really easy to hear clear drums with guitar riffs background. Songs sound very clean and crisp.

Overall, sound quality has improved but there is same level of minor hiss as NWZ-A810 series.

Accessories:

I tried using my previous stand (cradle), BCR-NWU3 but unfortunately the supplied plastic cradle fitter does not fit in because the actual size of player has increased.

So, there is new cradle BCR-NWU5 which support NWZ-A820/720, NWZ-A810, NWZ-S710, NW-A800, and NW-S700.

Sony is also selling screen protector, leather case, silicon case, arm band and few other accessories.

Oh and external stereo that fits into the player.

Conclusion:

I am extremely happy with the player although I hope they used harder material for that silver/chrome rim that surrounds side of player. It sounds very nice and is easy to navigate.

Obvious question that people might ask is: “is it worth to update from NWZ-A810 or NW-A800?� If you prefer bigger screen with closer to the surface, bigger capacity (16GB) and Bluetooth, then by all means NWZ-A829 is a fine choice.

There is improvement in terms of sound compared to NWZ-A810 but it’s not a huge improvement, but surely a nice step forward. So, if you are planning to replace NWZ-A810 but you are extremely happy for NWZ-A810/NW-A800 then I say stick with it and wait till later this year for possible new NW/NWZ-S or next year for NW/NWZ-A line-ups.

I was hoping to write better review but I am in a tight schedule this and following week and I am sure I left out a lot of details with bunch of mistakes.

So, if you have any question regarding this New Walkman, I will try to answer them (I won’t be able to give quick response sorry).

Edited by Zizone

Another great review Zizone. Thanks very much for that. So. . . the sq is improved slightly, that's good news, especially as there was 'rumour' it had inferior sound compared with the 800/81x series. But what I'm most interested in is the soundstage. I've noticed my Zune has a much bigger soundstage than my 808, it's very noticeable. If the new Sony has a noticeably bigger soundstage than the 808, I would buy it and sell my Zune as the soundstage is really the only thing the Zune does better than the Sony, and I really do like the increased space. I know you said the new one had a bigger space - but is it a lot wider? I mean, if I went back and forth between the 808 and the new Sony, would I hear the difference immediately? I can between the Zune and Sony. so that's all I really need to know. You've covered everything else. Thanks Zizone. :)

Guest buggy

Walkman NWZ-A820/720

NWZ-A720.png

The new Walkman comes with built in Bluetooth version, A820, and one without it, NWZ-A720.

NWZ-A720: 4, 8 and 16 GB models are available with USD150, 200 and 300, respectively.

NWZ-A820: 8 (bundled with Bluetooth headphone) and 16 GB models are available with USD 270 (Bluetooth headphone included) and 320, respectively. As of March 24, 2008.

The one I recently purchased is NWZ-A728 (8GB without built in Bluetooth).

All models supplied with MDR-EX082 earphones!

The biggest improvement in this new line-up is bigger display (2.4inch display), built in Bluetooth (for NWZ-A820) and most important factor, the sound quality.

Supported Formats:

Linear PCM (WAV), AAC, MP3, and WMA (including both DRM and non-DRM, also VBR support).

Software:

Drag-n-drop, Windows Media Player 11, Media Manager for Walkman, etc…

Playstation3.

Design and material quality:

The front design looks very clean with nice blend between aluminum and 2.4inch display.

Option and Back keys are similar to previous NWZ-A710 series and 5-way key is similar to NW-A910 series from Japan. These keys/buttons are imbedded in aluminum material; very similar texture from SonyEricsson’s W890i Walkman phone casing material. These keys feel very soft, not making much clicking sound; it’s really up to user whether they prefer clicking feel and sound (which was the case for NWZ-A810) or smooth and almost no sound (NWZ-A820/720).

The side design is very clean with Bluetooth key on/off key (for NWZ-A820) and dedicated volume control with conveniently located hold key (slide up and down). Design wise is very nice. But, if I have to point out one downside is that the material used for the side only, this silver/chrome rim is not as hard and smooth as previous model NWZ-A810. This is really the only disappointment in terms of material used for this device but the aluminum on front really makes up for it. Overall, it is a solid player.

Display/Screen:

2.4" QVGA LCD Screen (320x240 display).

Obviously, screen size has increased from 2 inch. One other improvement is that the screen is closer to the surface. What I mean is that the picture that is being displayed is closer to the surface of the device, whereas the previous model, NWZ-A810 had a bit of deeper into the device feel.

Sound:

At first, listening my favorite song through MDR-EX700 with NWZ-A728, I immediately noticed subtle difference. There is more space and thus better separation; it has better high and crisper bass. For example, I was very please that is was really easy to hear clear drums with guitar riffs background. Songs sound very clean and crisp.

Overall, sound quality has improved but there is same level of minor hiss as NWZ-A810 series.

Accessories:

I tried using my previous stand (cradle), BCR-NWU3 but unfortunately the supplied plastic cradle fitter does not fit in because the actual size of player has increased.

So, there is new cradle BCR-NWU5 which support NWZ-A820/720, NWZ-A810, NWZ-S710, NW-A800, and NW-S700.

Sony is also selling screen protector, leather case, silicon case, arm band and few other accessories.

Oh and external stereo that fits into the player.

Conclusion:

I am extremely happy with the player although I hope they used harder material for that silver/chrome rim that surrounds side of player. It sounds very nice and is easy to navigate.

Obvious question that people might ask is: “is it worth to update from NWZ-A810 or NW-A800?� If you prefer bigger screen with closer to the surface, bigger capacity (16GB) and Bluetooth, then by all means NWZ-A829 is a fine choice.

There is improvement in terms of sound compared to NWZ-A810 but it’s not a huge improvement, but surely a nice step forward. So, if you are planning to replace NWZ-A810 but you are extremely happy for NWZ-A810/NW-A800 then I say stick with it and wait till later this year for possible new NW/NWZ-S or next year for NW/NWZ-A line-ups.

I was hoping to write better review but I am in a tight schedule this and following week and I am sure I left out a lot of details with bunch of mistakes.

So, if you have any question regarding this New Walkman, I will try to answer them (I won’t be able to give quick response sorry).

Dude , were you having wintersleep?

its been longer than a month that this model introduced.

and on official website since february!!!

i already own it for weeks. if you need i have spec sheet and so on.

Hey!! Zizone wrote a pretty thorough review and it's the FIRST review here. If you've had yours for 'weeks', didn't you think of doing the same? Where exactly did you get it from? It's only just been released. The 'official' website only listed them for preorder so we are ALL clearly suffering from 'wintersleep' if you have owned it for weeks.

Where was it available to buy a month ago then?????

I mean, if I went back and forth between the 808 and the new Sony, would I hear the difference immediately? I can between the Zune and Sony. so that's all I really need to know. You've covered everything else. Thanks Zizone. :)

There is increase in space, that's for sure. You will probably notice it once you swtich from A810 to A820. But the difference will be more noticeable if you listen to NWZ-A820 for awhile and then switch to A810. I am not too sure but may be due to this increase in space, songs and close frequencies are more clear.

One thing that I will like to add, which I mentioned previously, is the screen. I really like the way the screen is closer to the surface of the player.

I hope I answered your question, if not just let me know. :)

Edited by Zizone

Well, if you are looking for some sort of arguments, go look for someone else.

Plus, its a review based on my actual use of the device not based on spec that was released few months ago as you mentioned. I am glad you got your Walkman for weeks and I hope you are enjoying the device as I am. :)

Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle, but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting (Sun-tzu).

Edited by Zizone

There is increase in space, that's for sure. You will probably notice it once you swtich from A810 to A820. But the difference will be more noticeable if you listen to NWZ-A820 for awhile and then switch to A810. I am not too sure but may be due to this increase in space, songs and close frequencies are more clear.

One thing that I will like to add, which I mentioned previously, is the screen. I really like the way the screen is closer to the surface of the player.

I hope I answered your question, if not just let me know. :)

Thanks Zizzy!! That's just what I wanted to know. Bigger soundstage :)

P.S This is the first user review I've read. The one which said sound quality was 'inferior' to the previous model was apparently stated by generation mp3 (whoever they are) and they didn't give any details so it was totally useless!! And as for a 'spec' sheet. . . what does that actually tell us about how it sounds? Nothing! Thanks again.

Edited by juli

NWZ-A720 series, one that I have, does not have FM tuner. But, I am not sure about NWZ-A820 series.

I don't think either of them have radio Zizone. I'm waiting to see if the 729 pops up at Amazon UK and at what price.

Still think £225 for the 16GB is a huge rip off, and if the non-Bluetooth model doesn't get released here (despite different Sony people saying different things all the time), then I won't be buying the 829. I don't want BT and I definitely won't pay for BT when I don't want it!! So, I'd like a 16GB A729 for a maximum of £150. Until that's available, I'm sticking with the 808 and the Zune.

I am little confused here,

the nw-a829 comes with noise cancel built-in and bluetooth built-in, there is no bluetooth headphones supplied.

In us nwz-A82x, 8 gb version comes with ear-in phone and bluetooth headset, but 16 gb version comes only with ear-in, no bluetooth headset supplied(but device has bluetooth though).

Edited by theFanboy

Thanks for the review Zizone. Even though I am tempted by the bigger screen and slight sound improvements I think I will hold off for now. What has really changed my mind is the need to reinvest in a new cradle. I have already forked out for 2 BCR-NU3 cradles for my A805 and S703 ( one at work,the other at home) I was hoping that the A820 would be compatible.

Thanks for the review Zizone. Even though I am tempted by the bigger screen and slight sound improvements I think I will hold off for now. What has really changed my mind is the need to reinvest in a new cradle. I have already forked out for 2 BCR-NU3 cradles for my A805 and S703 ( one at work,the other at home) I was hoping that the A820 would be compatible.

Yeah, inside base of the cradle (BCR-NWU3) is not wide enough for both supplied stand for cradle and NWZ-A820.

I assume BCR-NWU5 is a bit bigger (?) since it supports NWZ-A820 and previous models also.

If you are happy with NW-A800, I bet you are, then I'd say stick with it. :)

Edited by Zizone

Hi, I'm a new member here!

May I ask if anyone here has one of the NWZ-A720 series which is not bought from BestBuy?

I just got an "NWZ-A728B" from BestBuy, and noticed that BestBuy added Rhapsody support, and thus, the added "B" in the end of the model name. Thus I got a "Realplayer" icon in the home menu. The bundled CD and manual are also BestBuy/Rhapsody-customized.

I also noticed that my model has no menu language settings, where as I am sure the S710 series at Circuitcity does have language settings. So I am wondering if the deletion of multiple language menus is a result of BestBuy's customization, or a recent "downgrade" of the US version software of this new series?

If indeed only the BestBuy version is crippled, I am very sure that I will be returning it and re-buying a normal one elsewhere.

err shouldn't the B stand for the colour? as in black? and not best buy. Taken from the sonystyle.ca site

Sony’s NWZA728 8GB Walkman® Video MP3 Player - Black - NWZA728B

Sony’s NWZA728 8GB Walkman® Video MP3 Player - Pink - NWZA728P

Sony’s NWZA726 4GB Walkman® Video MP3 Player - Silver - NWZA726S

maybe it is only like this in canada. Why not just buy it from the sony store? or JR.com? Anyways, all the players should be drag and drop no matter what, and if best buy customized it, I'd return it and get a normal model from somewhere else.

err shouldn't the B stand for the colour? as in black? and not best buy. Taken from the sonystyle.ca site......

maybe it is only like this in canada. Why not just buy it from the sony store? or JR.com? Anyways, all the players should be drag and drop no matter what, and if best buy customized it, I'd return it and get a normal model from somewhere else.

I see on the Sony US site that the Black one is NWZ-A728BLK, not just "B"; and the pink one is "PNK". That's why I assumed the "B" is for BestBuy.

Thank you for your advice, though. I think I will return this one. I decided in the first place to get it from BestBuy because they are on sell, $10 off Sony or JR's listed price. In this case, after I factored in the fact that no shipping fee needed if bought from the local BestBuy, and JR's $0 sells tax, they both round up to $193. Thus, avoiding the wait for shipping and considering that it's easier to return at a brick&mortar store, I went for it. Turns out I will be using that convenience of returns :(

By the way, if anyone here wants to see more real life photos of this new Walkman, I have some on my blog to share:

http://intellidryad.blogspot.com/2008/03/nwz-a728.html

Please let me know if posting my own URL is not allowed here, which I hope not.

Edited by intellidryad

From past NWZ-810 series, adopted firmware for rhapsody for bestbuy which added additional functions for the service but dropping language function.

So, your NWZ-A820 series for Bestbuy might have different firmware from other's. I bought from Sonystyle.com and has many different language settings.

Either way, your device should be able to display most languages, including Japanese, for song titles.

From past NWZ-810 series, adopted firmware for rhapsody for bestbuy which added additional functions for the service but dropping language function.

So, your NWZ-A820 series for Bestbuy might have different firmware from other's. I bought from Sonystyle.com and has many different language settings.

Either way, your device should be able to display most languages, including Japanese, for song titles.

Thank you so much! Just what I needed to know before returning the BestBuy version and buying it else where.

Yes, Japanese MP3 ID3 tags do show up fine on my Walkman.

This is a good review. I am interested in purchasing the 829 although I'm confused? You said it comes with bluetooth headphones so do they also come with the MDR-EX082 and are the MDR-EX082 that comes with this player noise cancelling (looking at the picture, it appears to have noise cancelling built it)? The MDR-EX082 that came with my NW-A806 don't have noise cancelling.

Edited by Wonkey

This is a good review. I am interested in purchasing the 829 although I'm confused? You said it comes with bluetooth headphones so do they also come with the MDR-EX082 and are the MDR-EX082 that comes with this player noise cancelling (looking at the picture, it appears to have noise cancelling built it)? The MDR-EX082 that came with my NW-A806 don't have noise cancelling.

Only the japanese model NW-A820 series will have noise cancelling unit built in and atrac

The one you are reading is a non atrac walkman NWZ-A820, it does come with a good pair of stock earphones and Sony has made certain bundle for the product to have bt phones, if you just buy the player itself, then normally it just comes with the player and stock earphones. NWZ-A720 has all the same look and specs, but it doesn't have the bt function. Both players will not have any noise cancelling functions, unless you buy NC phones such as NC22.

Also in other countries Sonystyle offers NWZ-820 and bt phone deal online (Asia), for australia.....well that's long wait until the player itself comes to down under, like few months, A826K (4GB) will be released here in Australia-June, this includes bt walkman and bt earphones (K means such deal), you just have to wait or import

Edited by antiipod

Only the japanese model NW-A820 series will have noise cancelling unit built in and atrac

The one you are reading is a non atrac walkman NWZ-A820, it does come with a good pair of stock earphones and Sony has made certain bundle for the product to have bt phones, if you just buy the player itself, then normally it just comes with the player and stock earphones. NWZ-A720 has all the same look and specs, but it doesn't have the bt function. Both players will not have any noise cancelling functions, unless you buy NC phones such as NC22.

Also in other countries Sonystyle offers NWZ-820 and bt phone deal online (Asia), for australia.....well that's long wait until the player itself comes to down under, like few months, A826K (4GB) will be released here in Australia-June, this includes bt walkman and bt earphones (K means such deal), you just have to wait or import

Thank you for your reply, that is just what I wanted to know. I didn't know that the built in noise cancelling would only be for the Japanese models. It would be nice to have this feature as I do have a pair of MDR-NC022s lying around, oh well I'm not too dissappointed. I hope when it arrives in Australia it isn't too over priced, especially with the 829.

Edited by Wonkey

You know, thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering how come the demo unit at Bestbuy have the Rhapsody icon, and the units sold there has Bestbuy stickers inside the box. IMO this simply stupid of Sony USA. They probably got some kickback form Bestbuy/Rhapsody, but it confuses consumers and creates more confusing SKUs. Even worse if they drop any features, no matter how insignificant, from the firmware. I guess Sony USA has a hard time kicking the habit of neutering firmwares of their products in the US. How hard is it to simply release 1 firmware for units of the same model?

You know, thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering how come the demo unit at Bestbuy have the Rhapsody icon, and the units sold there has Bestbuy stickers inside the box. IMO this simply stupid of Sony USA. They probably got some kickback form Bestbuy/Rhapsody, but it confuses consumers and creates more confusing SKUs. Even worse if they drop any features, no matter how insignificant, from the firmware. I guess Sony USA has a hard time kicking the habit of neutering firmwares of their products in the US. How hard is it to simply release 1 firmware for units of the same model?

I agree with you on dropping a feature while adding another feature intead. Anyways, I think Bestbuy has somewhat forced manufaturers to do so, since Creative decided not to follow, Bestbuy has stopped selling Creative. :mellow:

I agree with you on dropping a feature while adding another feature intead. Anyways, I think Bestbuy has somewhat forced manufaturers to do so, since Creative decided not to follow, Bestbuy has stopped selling Creative. :mellow:

That really sucks. Well anyway, I returned the BestBuy one and just got a normal one from B&H photo. Sure enough, without that "B" behind the model number, I the language settings are there (including Japanese, which I've read have been left out on South East Asia models), and I am happy not to have that real player icon on the home menu.

One note, I see many people here saying that the back of the new A820/A720s are plastic; yet I noticed that although knocking on it sounds like plastic, it does feel cool like metal after you left it laying around for sometime. This is similar to the Magnesium alloy case on my old Clie NX73 PDA, so that's what I suspect.

That really sucks. Well anyway, I returned the BestBuy one and just got a normal one from B&H photo. Sure enough, without that "B" behind the model number, I the language settings are there (including Japanese, which I've read have been left out on South East Asia models), and I am happy not to have that real player icon on the home menu.

One note, I see many people here saying that the back of the new A820/A720s are plastic; yet I noticed that although knocking on it sounds like plastic, it does feel cool like metal after you left it laying around for sometime. This is similar to the Magnesium alloy case on my old Clie NX73 PDA, so that's what I suspect.

Sony´s states on its German site under tech specs that aluminum is used for the 820´s shell. The same hold true for the 810 series.

However, the 820 seems cheaper as little gimmicks such as the shutter for the wm port were removed to save 2 cents per unit.

Bearing in mind that Sony goes head to head with the touch in pricing it´s a more than daring proposition Sony is making these days.

• 3 weeks later...

There is increase in space, that's for sure. You will probably notice it once you swtich from A810 to A820. But the difference will be more noticeable if you listen to NWZ-A820 for awhile and then switch to A810.

Hey Zizzy!! I just got my 829 today and what can I say? I LOVE it with all my heart!!

The soundstage is the single biggest difference that I hear You were right, it IS bigger. One of the reasons I was holding on to the Zune 80 was because of the soundstage. It really is much bigger than the 808, and while it lacks the Sony 'punch', it more than makes up for it in sheer dynamics and space. But. . . the 829's soundstage (to my ears), is halfway between the 808 and the Zune. It's just perfect. I hear virtually the same sound signature over a larger area, which makes it seem slightly more neutral than the 808.

Either way, I'd have to say this is my most favourite Sony player (sound quality wise), to date. I was fully expecting not to perceive any difference in sq - so it was a lovely and unexpected surprise to hear the improvement over the 808. If I imagine the difference between the 706 and 808 to be a 50% improvement in sq, then I'd say the difference between the 808 and 829 is at least 30%. It's certainly noticeable to my ears :)

P.S The 829 is barely any bigger than the 808, but it looks quite a lot bigger in the pictures.

And on a positive note, the 829 fits the speaker cradle for the 706 and 808 models!!

Edited by juli

Guest Stuge

I have a question for those of you own both the new 820 and "old" 810.

Does Sony employ the same slow Flash memory in the new models or did transfer speeds (finally) improve?

Good question dude:)

Even, I'm quite eager to know that .