No new NWZ-E/B series?

Rate this question

pata2001

Question

Well, since the site seems to be getting back on its feet, maybe we'll see more insider info.

Both the A and S series have been duplicated for Japan and outside Japan (NW vs NWZ series). But where's the E series? I like Sony stick type players in general. The NWZ-B10x is severely lacking in feature (not even AAC support), a downgrade from the previous E series despite moving to drag-n-drop. Why Sony didn't release an NWZ version of the E-02x and E-01x?

7 answers to this question

Looking at the button layout and the screen (and their relative position), it would seem that the E020 and B100 are very closely related siblings in terms of engineering.

Several theories

they just haven't gotten around to it yet, the E020 is coming out about now, which is very much timed for the start of the new school year/fiscal year in Japan, April 1.

There's a major-minor-major-minor approach to updating players, so the actual product life cycle is 2 years and not 1, and the E010/E020/B100 are in fact all part of the same larger model life cycle. The actual placement could still be under development.

[c] One Sony exec claimed the means of files transfer is dependent on market, and said there will always be demand for drag-n-drop products in <b>developing countries</b>. If so, the B100 is cheapo and can be left to soldier on for a while.

[d] Marketing and profit margin reasons. And the low end being replaced by cell phones.

Oh, and I think the one person capable of providing sneak peeks has disappeared along with kurisu. I will not think otherwise until I'm proven wrong.

Edited by cauldron

do you guys think that the E series has a worse sound quality compared to the A and S series?

A lot of people think the E series players are less capable of driving demanding headphones, and have less output despite the specification saying it's the same 4+4mW. They also tend to produce more hiss. I have observed this myself, so I agree that the E series don't have the same sound quality as the recent A or S players.

As for older players, remember that sound-wise, the A600 = E400/E500, and the S200 = E000, so they will probably sound closer to the E series.

Looking at the button layout and the screen (and their relative position), it would seem that the E020 and B100 are very closely related siblings in terms of engineering.

I don't think so. The B series was intended for China market, where cheap flash players are all over the place. I bet the B series is just a rebadge of some Chinese OEM DAP (no AAC support, an actual on-off button, no dynamic normalizer, MP3 voice recording). I mean when was the last time Sony release a Network Walkman that can do voice recording? The B-series feature list matches most generic MP3 DAP.

I do hope Sony USA will release either the E01x and/or E02x under the NWZ series. However, I don't think it will happen. What happens in Japan usually stays in Japan, and Sony USA is the dumbest of them all.

B series is actually intended for many regions except for Japan, it was a nice trial start for the concept of "drap and drop" Walkman last year. P series is the only player that is known, built and intended for China under the decision of father of Walkman last May. Nowdays when you talk about Sony China, Hongkong and Taiwan, you are actually just talking about Sony Japan in the end, since Sony Japan sends some of its finest people to there as the top boss making the decision. Sony Japan is focusing currently with Atrac NW-A800, NWZ-S610 and P players as the offer to China, well Hongkong and taiwan would be receiving the NWZ-820 series soon. I think by checking Amazon China, you will realize that Consumers there are after the look and prestige nowdays, their market changes very fast too, so Sony has to offer its better or flagship products for sure.

who knows the future for NWZ E and B series, we have B series in Australia as well, it does suit entry level consumers' need if they are after something simple.