So, Connect Music Store is GONE

Rate this question

aob9

Question

It would be nice to complete this process by removing the icon (link to the store) from the SonicStage software. There is little point in having it there any more. However, I expect Sony will abandon SS support in Europe now. I wonder what will happen if there is an issue with a Microsoft update in the future.........get out the wallet, I guess.

29 answers to this question

and for the people who want´s to keep using SS? like the one who have a MD player or just want to keep using ATRAC?

time to buy another dap?

I bought my A806 when it came out and it was only 9 months ago... I dont want a new Dap every year =S

and when they close the server that ups SS, what people who wants to continue using SS will do?

i mean i have it on my pc, but i format it some times, and then? there s a way to backup the program in a cd? what you guys think?

sorry for the bad english!

Edited by High Contrast

and when they close the server that ups SS, what people who wants to continue using SS will do?

i mean i have it on my pc, but i format it some times, and then? there s a way to backup the program in a cd? what you guys think?

sorry for the bad english!

This is a very good point. What hapeens if we have to do a system restore and SS requires 'authentication' over the internet. I am a heavy PC user and do system restores fairly often. Does this mean that I will need to install SS every time. :excl:

This is why I held out on buying a new mp3 player until the atrac free ones arrived. Atrac is a good codec, I liked using it for gapless mainly and that was it. I tend to buy my songs in mp3 or wav format so re-encoding to atrac when I listened to my minidisc was no fun.

I never liked sonicstage, it stopped working for me once I upgraded it to some version, this was way back when I had my minidisc still. Once the new mp3 players arrived, connect player showed up and fortunately that worked for me with little problems with no problems after the updates. Everytime I opened CP and went to the connect store, there was a blank page since there was no store in canada. A canadian version was added but music was sold in atrac 132 so that killed the deal for me.

Sony wants to cut itself off from the atrac and sonicstage name I think, so I doubt much support will be provided for users in the future. I myself got handed a dud device once sony stopped updating the a1000 and a3000, there are still some issues with it and I am sure more features could be easily turned on with firmware updates.

with prices so low on the older NWZ-81x models, it wouldn't be a no brainer to pick one up now. Yes no atrac support so no gapless or on the go playlists, but then there has to be some sacrifices made to rid of sonicstage and its woes.

Perhaps sony will realize that on the go playlists and gapless can be done with mp3s or wma and implement it on their future players,

Connect Music Store's demise,whilst sad, doesn't affect me. I have downloaded stuff in the past, but I'm more Old skool D :lol: with my music, and I prefer a physical CD/LP with which to work from. This flis in the face of the modern listener. I do hope Bands/groups continue to offer a physical product, through I fear that in the future this may be a thing of the past.

Edited by Old skool D

This is why I held out on buying a new mp3 player until the atrac free ones arrived. Atrac is a good codec, I liked using it for gapless mainly and that was it. I tend to buy my songs in mp3 or wav format so re-encoding to atrac when I listened to my minidisc was no fun.

I never liked sonicstage, it stopped working for me once I upgraded it to some version, this was way back when I had my minidisc still. Once the new mp3 players arrived, connect player showed up and fortunately that worked for me with little problems with no problems after the updates. Everytime I opened CP and went to the connect store, there was a blank page since there was no store in canada. A canadian version was added but music was sold in atrac 132 so that killed the deal for me.

Sony wants to cut itself off from the atrac and sonicstage name I think, so I doubt much support will be provided for users in the future. I myself got handed a dud device once sony stopped updating the a1000 and a3000, there are still some issues with it and I am sure more features could be easily turned on with firmware updates.

with prices so low on the older NWZ-81x models, it wouldn't be a no brainer to pick one up now. Yes no atrac support so no gapless or on the go playlists, but then there has to be some sacrifices made to rid of sonicstage and its woes.

Perhaps sony will realize that on the go playlists and gapless can be done with mp3s or wma and implement it on their future players,

The NWZ series may be cheap, but I own and use a HD1,an S703 and an A805. They all rely on SS. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Us SS users will probably get some time before we run into some irreversible problems. Lucky, I always ripped my music in MP3, converting to Atrac when ever it was required........... as if I knew it wouldn't last.

Connect Music Store's demise,whilst sad, doesn't affect me. I have downloaded stuff in the past, but I'm more Old skool D :lol: with my music, and I prefer a physical CD/LP with which to work from. This flis in the face of the modern listener. I do hope Bands/groups continue to offer a physical product, through I fear that in the future this may be a thing of the past.

I myself have never purchased music online and do not intend to either. I too prefer the physical product in uncompressed form. Also it will always be there and won't get accidentally wiped.

The demise of CONNECT taught me an important lesson:

DO NOT BUY DIGITAL RESTRICTED MUSIC, ANYWHERE, EVER

It makes me ill to think of the hundreds of dollars I wasted on CONNECT downloads. Never again! Archive to CD is their solution to save the files, but if I wanted the music on CD I would have bought CD in the first place, duh.

The message at Canadian CONNECT store says that the authentication servers are only up until December 31 2008, so what happens after that when I want to/need to restore my library?! Most of my music files are .oma and with 'Copy Protection: Available' since certain VAIO programs won't work otherwise. At least their MP3 Conversion Tool will transcode those files, since they aren't bought from CONNECT (tested it).

What I don't understand is why this is an 'either/or' situation for Sony. Why does atrac & SonicStage need to be dumped completely in North America in favour of Windows Media Player and protected .wma? Why not have both possible on the same device? Why do lawyers and marketing people have such influence over Sony product decisions?! I would have been really happy being able to use SonicStage AND Windows Media Player with the same device.

I did buy one of the newer "open" players to try out, and I do like it for use with a service like Napster etc. It's very convenient, although of course songs with WMA DRM won't play on PS3 when connected duh. I think the next Walkman I get will be an import from Japan where they still use atrac and SonicStage.

That's if I don't get further annoyed by more brilliant changes from Sony.

My parents have a SONY TV and SONY STEREO for about 15 years. I have 3 Sony Digital Walkmans, one of which is still under warranty, all are facing being outdated any minute now depending on how quickly I run into trouble with SS....................................now there's progress. :sad:

I just happened to check in at this forum and was alarmed when I saw the post about the authentication servers being dropped. I understand if Sony needs to lose Connect, but the authentication servers are necessary for the proper use of an Atrac walkman. Sony designed the devices to be crippled without authentication. Without them, you cannot use your walkman with more than one computer, you cannot restore your library without completely erasing your walkman, you will not be able to use any music with copy protection, etc etc. Sony sold those devices under certain terms. Removal of the authentication servers will negate those terms and I believe it is grounds for a class action suit. A major company like Sony should be told in no uncertain terms that it cannot walk out on its agreement with its customers without serious penalty. I have seven working Atrac devices in my family. I want them all replaced at Sony's expense.

--Terence Kelly

I just happened to check in at this forum and was alarmed when I saw the post about the authentication servers being dropped. I understand if Sony needs to lose Connect, but the authentication servers are necessary for the proper use of an Atrac walkman. Sony designed the devices to be crippled without authentication. Without them, you cannot use your walkman with more than one computer, you cannot restore your library without completely erasing your walkman, you will not be able to use any music with copy protection, etc etc. Sony sold those devices under certain terms. Removal of the authentication servers will negate those terms and I believe it is grounds for a class action suit. A major company like Sony should be told in no uncertain terms that it cannot walk out on its agreement with its customers without serious penalty. I have seven working Atrac devices in my family. I want them all replaced at Sony's expense.

--Terence Kelly

HEAR,HEAR.........................................

--Terence Kelly

yep i think you re right, most of my musc is in SS, and i want to keep that way, what should we do?

just wait till the server closes? then buy another WALKMAN? cause i don t wanna do that!

The demise of CONNECT taught me an important lesson:

DO NOT BUY DIGITAL RESTRICTED MUSIC, ANYWHERE, EVER

It makes me ill to think of the hundreds of dollars I wasted on CONNECT downloads. Never again! Archive to CD is their solution to save the files, but if I wanted the music on CD I would have bought CD in the first place, duh.

The message at Canadian CONNECT store says that the authentication servers are only up until December 31 2008, so what happens after that when I want to/need to restore my library?! Most of my music files are .oma and with 'Copy Protection: Available' since certain VAIO programs won't work otherwise. At least their MP3 Conversion Tool will transcode those files, since they aren't bought from CONNECT (tested it).

What I don't understand is why this is an 'either/or' situation for Sony. Why does atrac & SonicStage need to be dumped completely in North America in favour of Windows Media Player and protected .wma? Why not have both possible on the same device? Why do lawyers and marketing people have such influence over Sony product decisions?! I would have been really happy being able to use SonicStage AND Windows Media Player with the same device.

I did buy one of the newer "open" players to try out, and I do like it for use with a service like Napster etc. It's very convenient, although of course songs with WMA DRM won't play on PS3 when connected duh. I think the next Walkman I get will be an import from Japan where they still use atrac and SonicStage.

That's if I don't get further annoyed by more brilliant changes from Sony.

Agree 100%, couldn't have said it better myself. Why couldn't sony release the new walkmans with both WMP and SS support? Allowing those who want to use ATRAC and SS to do so, and those who want to use MP3 and other formats with WMP to do so as well. That would have been perfect and satisfied everyone. Instead they kill ATRAC and SS and force thousands of loyal customers to switch. I hate WMP so far and the entire process of switching over from ATRAC to MP3. I love my new nwz-a728, but without ATRAC support, it's not perfect.

Sony should be ashamed of themselves for dissing their loyal ATRAC customers after all these years.

yep i think you re right, most of my musc is in SS, and i want to keep that way, what should we do?

just wait till the server closes? then buy another WALKMAN? cause i don t wanna do that!

I made a complaint to Sony, who wrote back and said I would still be able to use my Walkmen. I then pointed out all the things that you won't be able to do without authentication and they have not responded. If I continue to hear nothing I will start making complaints to Better Business Bureau and other consumer sites about Sony's shabby behaviour. I would encourage everyone to complain loudly directly to Sony. They set up this system. They need to honor it.

--Terry

I made a complaint to Sony, who wrote back and said I would still be able to use my Walkmen. I then pointed out all the things that you won't be able to do without authentication and they have not responded. If I continue to hear nothing I will start making complaints to Better Business Bureau and other consumer sites about Sony's shabby behaviour. I would encourage everyone to complain loudly directly to Sony. They set up this system. They need to honor it.

--Terry

Don't hold your breath :)

Look at it this way. The current version of SonicStage will probably last as long as your player will.

SonicStage and ATRAC have been a collosal economic and reputational failure for Sony in the United States. I don't know what their market share was prior to dumping ATRAC, but I"m sure it was less than 10%, and probably more like 5%. The decision to exit was a sound business decision. Supporting two (or more) applications makes no sense. When you say "why can't they just keep SonicStage AND support for Winamp, WMP, etc.)" - you need to understand what that would mean from a software development, testing, support and maintenance perspective - particularly for an international company like Sony. It is unfortunate for those of us who bought into their platform, but it is what it is. They've already lost millions of dollars on this venture and they had no choice but to stop throwing good money after bad.

The only right move for SONY now would be to release a tool that would authenticate the database locally, wihout connecting to their server, and remove any DRM even from files purchased from CONNECT.

Anyway, there is a person at the minidisc.org forum, who actually hacked the OpenMG protection. For now he refuses to release any details, being afraid of being sued by SONY. But at least there's hope.

ive sent an e mail to sony suport of connect store asking about the servers:

my e mail:

My question is simple, what will hapen when i need to format my pc, or instal SonicStage on another pc, since sony closed the connect store and will close the servers, cause every time i format my pc and need to install SonicStage i need to authenticate my pc via Sony sever, this mean that i wont able to use SonicStage to rip my cds and to use with my WALKMAN?

the answer:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sony Connect!

You can continue to use your current devices with SonicStage - even on a new pc. SonicStage on the new PC can still be used to transfer tracks in the library to an authorized device, and all will play (DRM'd and non-DRM'd) on the device.

There are several ways to get your content on the new PC - even after the licensing servers are down:

- Non-DRM (ripped) content can be converted using our MP3 converter and copied over _or_ copied over in it's current form by

manually copying the OMA and OMG files from one PC to another (In XP, the folders to copy are: C:\Documents and Settings\All

Users\SonicStage\Contents & C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages. In VISTA these are located in

C:\ProgramData\SonicStage\.

- Content Purchased from CONNECT can be burned to CD, which we always suggest for back-up purposes - especially now that the store is closed, and ripped back in to SonicStage on the new PC.

- You can continue to rip new content in and can even add compatible formats obtained from other sources as long as they are not

license protected (non-DRM).

Here are some helpful FAQs with details of these options:

Converting ripped content:

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/connec...php?p_faqid=848

Converting content purchased from Connect:

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/connec...php?p_faqid=861

Importing a music file from your computer into My Library:

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/connec....php?p_faqid=59

If the information I have provided does not completely answer your question, please update this incident so I may be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Gary S

Customer Support Representative

Sony Connect

http://www.connect.com

what you guys think?

ive sent an e mail to sony suport of connect store asking about the servers:

my e mail:

My question is simple, what will hapen when i need to format my pc, or instal SonicStage on another pc, since sony closed the connect store and will close the servers, cause every time i format my pc and need to install SonicStage i need to authenticate my pc via Sony sever, this mean that i wont able to use SonicStage to rip my cds and to use with my WALKMAN?

the answer:

Hello,

You can continue to use your current devices with SonicStage - even on a new pc. SonicStage on the new PC can still be used to transfer tracks in the library to an authorized device, and all will play (DRM'd and non-DRM'd) on the device.

There are several ways to get your content on the new PC - even after the licensing servers are down:

- Non-DRM (ripped) content can be converted using our MP3 converter and copied over _or_ copied over in it's current form by

manually copying the OMA and OMG files from one PC to another (In XP, the folders to copy are: C:\Documents and Settings\All

Users\SonicStage\Contents & C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages. In VISTA these are located in

C:\ProgramData\SonicStage\.

- Content Purchased from CONNECT can be burned to CD, which we always suggest for back-up purposes - especially now that the store is closed, and ripped back in to SonicStage on the new PC.

- You can continue to rip new content in and can even add compatible formats obtained from other sources as long as they are not

license protected (non-DRM).

Here are some helpful FAQs with details of these options:

Converting ripped content:

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/connec...php?p_faqid=848

Converting content purchased from Connect:

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/connec...php?p_faqid=861

Importing a music file from your computer into My Library:

http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/connec....php?p_faqid=59

If the information I have provided does not completely answer your question, please update this incident so I may be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Gary S

Customer Support Representative

Sony Connect

http://www.connect.com

what you guys think?

This is a stock reply to any question about SS and Connect. I am now on my third exchange with support. The second reply from Sony seemed to be surprised that losing the servers would affect us seriously. Whoever is answering doesn't appear to have ever used an Atrac device. I suggested they try hooking up an unregistered HD5 to more than one computer to see what happens. I also suggested three options: maintaining the servers, updating Sonicstage to always authenticate a device or database, replace all active atrac devices with new walkmen that don't require authentication. My wife says that I received a call from Sony yesterday. I'll post what they say if I manage to Connect. (bad pun intended)

--Terry

the i asked till when i would be able to download SS,

my question:

there´s one more thing, to install sonicstage, i need to download it from sony, until when i can download it? when the servers shut down i will still be able to download SonicStage?

they said:

Hello,

You can download the software from the link below till end of 2008.

so to use the latest version of SS, i guess we will have to use the japanese version, cause we can only download the english version till the end of 2008.

I'm so glad I never bought any DRM'ed downloads (from Sony or anywhere else). Always bought cds and ripped them.

Mind you, I initially ripped 1000+ cds to atrac (for a sony mindisk player), then re-ripped at least as many to mp3 (for another brand mp3 player and mp3 cd player) then went back to ripping to atrac (for sony flash player) then lost the lot in a drive problem, re-ripped them to atrac, and then got an 818 and dug out my original mp3 rips (saved to cd/dvdr fortunately) and went back to ripping mp3s again! Still have another 1000 or so cds to rip. I may have spent as much time ripping as actually listening to music.

Also it sometimes really galls me to think of the thousand of pounds I've spent buying cds when most of it appears to be freely available for download for those with less sensitive consciences than me.

Is Atrac now totally dead? Its a shame that Sony didn't just make it an open format, like mp3, and let others produce their own encoders, no? Or is that a hopelessly naive idea? Am I right in thinking that sound-quality-wise it was pretty good?

Guest Stuge

Is Atrac now totally dead? Its a shame that Sony didn't just make it an open format, like mp3, and let others produce their own encoders, no?

It is dead somewhat or 100% dead in other parts of the world except Japan ,where they are still lauching walkman which supports Atrac.

They couldn't make it a open format because of their own company ie Sony Music .

in b/w I have stopped ripping my music in Atrac .Reason is simple what will I do with Atrac ,since future players don't support Atrac .

so to use the latest version of SS, i guess we will have to use the japanese version, cause we can only download the english version till the end of 2008.

You can download full installers for SonicStage 4.2 and 4.3 for VAIO and the respective drivers using links provided in this message: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?s=&am...st&p=117697 and then store them in a safe place.

BTW, these installers don't need an Internet connection or an authentication server to work. As long as you don't have any DRM'ed content and your installation key is not damaged for some reason (this may happen sometimes), SonicStage will work fine. If the key is damaged, and the authentication server is no longer available, simply remove and reinstall SonicStage, and then reimport files from your old library.

Edited by Avrin