My Sony A829 Review & Pictorial

Rate this topic

Thanks Old Skool for your prompt pictorial. I take it, it's fresh out of the box? Slightly bigger than your A808. Can you let us have some more pics? Some of the sides and back of the unit too would be nice :)

Edited by markey

What are your first impressions of the unit? Does it not come with BT headphones as well as the IEM's?

Markey

ref the photos. I'll try & post some later tonight. First impressions of the unit are good. The built of the unit isn't as plasticy as I was lead to believe. THe SQ ( I have only listened to the songs that come with the unit, and after I had adjusted the EQ & other sound settings) is superb as you'd expect from a Sony DAP. Like I say, tomorrow, I plan to upload the WMP CD rom and add some tracks onto the unit.

Edited by Old skool D

Markey

ref the photos. I'll try & post some later tonight. First impressions of the unit are good. The built of the unit is as plasticy as I was lead to believe. THe SQ ( I have only listened to the songs that come with the unit, and after I had adjusted the EQ & other sound settings) is superb as you'd expect from a Sony DAP. Like I say, tomorrow, I plan to upload the WMP CD rom and add some tracks onto the unit.

How about the BT headphones? Did it come with both IEM's and BT phones as I believe it should?

Markey

ref the photos. I'll try & post some later tonight. First impressions of the unit are good. The built of the unit is as plasticy as I was lead to believe. THe SQ ( I have only listened to the songs that come with the unit, and after I had adjusted the EQ & other sound settings) is superb as you'd expect from a Sony DAP. Like I say, tomorrow, I plan to upload the WMP CD rom and add some tracks onto the unit.

Bet your gutted it's not made of metal? :D

Sorry. meant to say. No BT headphones I'm afraid. I may think about getting some separate. i take it I won't necessarly need Sony's own make?

No, any make will do the job. I am very surprised the 16 gig unit didn't come with them :unsure:

More Photos of the side & back of Unit. The controls at the side are the hold, Bluetooth & Volume Controls. The Rest button is at the back. Apologies for the quality of pics(especially the ones of the controls at the side of the unit)

Edited by Old skool D

Hi Oldskool,

Be Honest, apart from SQ (which we expected to be good), what do you think about the overall 'feel' of the player compared to the NWA-80* series? It is obviously a bigger unit......is it too big by comparison? Does it feel as well built as the earlier unit.?

Do you LOVE it?

Sad git ( me, not you) B)

Anthony

It looks the perfect size! I always thought the 808 was too thin. That was one of the reasons I bought a case, to bulk it up a bit!

Old skool, congrats! When you've loaded some of your own music, tell us about the sq compared with our beloved 80x series.

Zizone thinks the soundstage is a bit bigger. I've kept my Zune because I really like the bigger soundstage, but if the new Sony sounds noticeably better than the old one, well, umm, guess I have to get out my credit card!

It looks the perfect size! I always thought the 808 was too thin. That was one of the reasons I bought a case, to bulk it up a bit!

Old skool, congrats! When you've loaded some of your own music, tell us about the sq compared with our beloved 80x series.

Zizone thinks the soundstage is a bit bigger. I've kept my Zune because I really like the bigger soundstage, but if the new Sony sounds noticeably better than the old one, well, umm, guess I have to get out my credit card!

Haha, doesn't take much to push you over, does it? I'll probably fall for it too, but after my holidays in Thailand next month. Besides, today I'm gonna buy a new smartphone with gps so I'm broke for now.

But back to the Sony, like otherss, I'm very interested in your remarks considering build quality and SQ, Old skool D.

Old Skool, I am a little concerned that this didn't come with the Bluetooth headphones (DR-BT21G) as the Sony site says it does. It's supposed to come with the standard phones (MDR-EX82) and the BT ones (DR-BT21G). Have you checked what is listed as contents? Also, I thought the bottom of the front panel was going to be brushed alluminium?

Edited by markey

OK party people in the place: To answer your questions:

Hi Oldskool,

Be Honest, apart from SQ (which we expected to be good), what do you think about the overall 'feel' of the player compared to the NWA-80* series? It is obviously a bigger unit......is it too big by comparison? Does it feel as well built as the earlier unit.?

Do you LOVE it?

Sad git ( me, not you) B)

Anthony

Hi Anthony, and thanks for the question. My A808 feels heavier than my A829, thant that could be because of the materials used in it's make up. watching videos on the unit ( it comes with 4 videos already on the player) is enjoyable. A bigger screen does make a difference( and this from someone who isn't into video watching big time) To conclude, whilst it is lighter than my A808, it seems soild enough for me, and with a decent protective cover, I think it will be fine.

How much of the device is metal and what parts are plastic?

Hi Ascariss. I would say the majority of the unit is plastic, with the metal bits being around the perimeter of the unit( similar to my A808) and round the play button.

Hey Juli

The unit is a lovely size indeed. I have changed the sound settings to meet my sound requirements, and well you know how Sony do! SQ is their thing. I will confirm after I have uploaded some tracks( which i will do this afternoon) and report back. Thus far, to my ears it is as good as my A808(whcih is praise indeed)

Haha, doesn't take much to push you over, does it? I'll probably fall for it too, but after my holidays in Thailand next month. Besides, today I'm gonna buy a new smartphone with gps so I'm broke for now.

But back to the Sony, like otherss, I'm very interested in your remarks considering build quality and SQ, Old skool D.

Hey Dura, please see comments ref build quality above. I'll post more on SQ later.

Old Skool, I am a little concerned that this didn't come with the Bluetooth headphones (DR-BT21G) as the Sony site says it does. It's supposed to come with the standard phones (MDR-EX82) and the BT ones (DR-BT21G). Have you checked what is listed as contents? Also, I thought the bottom of the front panel was going to be brushed alluminium?

Markey

I rang Sony style to clarify the situation, and after muct toing & throwing, they called me back to tell me that the units were NOT meat to come with any Bluetooth headphones. They are accessories. I laughed and said that what was the point of having a bluetooth connectivity, with no bluetooth headphones to utilise it with. I was then told that Sony provide four tpes of headphones(see link below)

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/b2c/d...002BC29B86)/.do

which range from 55 GBP to 130 GBP!!!!!!! Don't you love Sony. I'll have a look around for some myself, but would welcome any heads up to some that I could use

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, but remember I'm no audio expert :)

Markey

I rang Sony style to clarify the situation, and after muct toing & throwing, they called me back to tell me that the units were NOT meat to come with any Bluetooth headphones. They are accessories. I laughed and said that what was the point of having a bluetooth connectivity, with no bluetooth headphones to utilise it with. I was then told that Sony provide four tpes of headphones(see link below)

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/b2c/d...002BC29B86)/.do

which range from 55 GBP to 130 GBP!!!!!!! Don't you love Sony. I'll have a look around for some myself, but would welcome any heads up to some that I could use

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, but remember I'm no audio expert :)

They want to update their website sharpish then. Obviously saw a way of making more money and decided not to supply the BT phones after all.

What do you expect from a greedy corporation like Sony.

How are you getting on with WMP 11?

OK, I have finished synching music onto the unit. Thoughts and impressions:

As most people will know(if you've read the posts around here) their no on-the fly playlists, but were you aware not( unlike my A808) there's no deleting tracks from the unit itself(like an iPod you have to do that via your computer) no star rating system( now this might me due to using WMP11, or that I haven't figured that out yet!) These put features are a BIG miss for me, and were a bonus points in having a A800, or A100 series.

Plus point however is the SQ. To my 40 yeard old ears it is even better than my A808( to the point that I can listen to my music at volume level 12 & below, as opossed to 15 on the A808).

Windows medis Player 111 is OK, but coming from SS, it takes a bit of getting used to. For example, It started to sync all the photos on my computer onto the player.( I had to delete these from the computer itself) I'll have to read my instruction booklet. Also ref video: I fancy putting some onto the unit, but guess what? it's not straight forward.

In conclusion apart from the issues I mentioned above, the great SQ makes up for all the things Sony, to my mind have left off this DAP, which made my A808 a great player. 16 GB is enough for me, and I'm content. i hope someone else gets one, so we all can compare opinions.

Any option to shuffle by albums? I played with a demo unit at Bestbuy but I don't see such option. The last Sony DAP that can shuffle by album that I know is the NW-E99. I can't believe Sony doesn't put this feature anymore.

Sorry. you can only shuffle by songs.

Figures. I don't understand why Sony ditched that feature. Not impressed at all, other than the larger screen. The control pad seems not that easy to use quickly on the go/blindly compared to the A80x.

Figures. I don't understand why Sony ditched that feature. Not impressed at all, other than the larger screen. The control pad seems not that easy to use quickly on the go/blindly compared to the A80x.

If you select playback range - All and set the device to shuffle you should be able to get a shuffle by Album.

I am to lazy to get the 818 out of my gym bag.

Hi Ascariss. I would say the majority of the unit is plastic, with the metal bits being around the perimeter of the unit( similar to my A808) and round the play button.

really?

I thought the 808 was made from the same material as the 81x series? Last time I checked my 818 was all metal, except the buttons.

really?

I thought the 808 was made from the same material as the 81x series? Last time I checked my 818 was all metal, except the buttons.

It could be me & my eye sight :) Anyway, I've decided to return the unit. Whilst I like the bigger screen, and the SQ is as good, if not better than my A808, I don't like the fact that they have done away with some great features from the A800/A8100 series( rating of tracks on unit, being able to delete songs from the unit, having to get bluetooth headphones) I'll get a A818. Still glad I got it, if only so i could see for myself. I do hope my review has been useful for anyone thinking of getting said player (Juli????)

Interesting choice, the 818 is like the newwer 829, has no track ratings, can't delete music off the player, basically 808 but no atrac. I am personally holding out waiting for something new from sony, perhaps this fall if anything does show up I hope.

I didn't realise that. I think I'll stay with my A808, for now.

It could be me & my eye sight :) Anyway, I've decided to return the unit. Whilst I like the bigger screen, and the SQ is as good, if not better than my A808, I don't like the fact that they have done away with some great features from the A800/A8100 series( rating of tracks on unit, being able to delete songs from the unit, having to get bluetooth headphones) I'll get a A818. Still glad I got it, if only so i could see for myself. I do hope my review has been useful for anyone thinking of getting said player (Juli????)

Well,Well........a thumbs down from OLD SKOOL D. I had a hunch that this unit wasn't up to our very high standards on Atraclife. I lost interest in it when I realised that my brand new Sony cradle was too small for it. I would need to upgrade to the new cradle. That coupled with the fact that it just doesn't look as good as the previous models.

Well,Well........a thumbs down from OLD SKOOL D. I had a hunch that this unit wasn't up to our very high standards on Atraclife. I lost interest in it when I realised that my brand new Sony cradle was too small for it. I would need to upgrade to the new cradle. That coupled with the fact that it just doesn't look as good as the previous models.

Indeed. Any news ref your A806?

I'll get a A818. Still glad I got it, if only so i could see for myself. I do hope my review has been useful for anyone thinking of getting said player (Juli????)

Right, that's it then. Thanks Old skool for saving me loads of money! I'm not going to get one now. I really like the features on the 808, and it seems more user friendly than the new model. Looks like the only advantage of the 829 is a slightly bigger screen, slightly better sq, but with less features than our beloved 808's! Seems like a sideways step to me.

I'll stick with the 808 and Zune for now and wait till Sony bring out something with the 808 features plus extras, not minus extras! I can go buy some Denon AH-C551s now with the cash.

P.S So you're going to get the 818 to supplement the 808 and get 16GB that way? You still can't make on-the-fly playlists with it. You know that don't you?

Right, that's it then. Thanks Old skool for saving me loads of money! I'm not going to get one now. I really like the features on the 808, and it seems more user friendly than the new model. Looks like the only advantage of the 829 is a slightly bigger screen, slightly better sq, but with less features than our beloved 808's! Seems like a sideways step to me.

I'll stick with the 808 and Zune for now and wait till Sony bring out something with the 808 features plus extras, not minus extras! I can go buy some Denon AH-C551s now with the cash.

P.S So you're going to get the 818 to supplement the 808 and get 16GB that way? You still can't make on-the-fly playlists with it. You know that don't you?

Juli

Your welcome. Like I mentioned I'm glad I got it:If only to see for myself what the advantages/disadvantages to the player were.

ref the A818:Yes I am aware of the lack of on the fly playlists. I still may get it. I'll seek advice from Markey ref the features on it.

If you select playback range - All and set the device to shuffle you should be able to get a shuffle by Album.

Err, I don't think that's the same. What I meant by shuffle by album is for the unit to shuffle the albums during playback, but the unit played each album's tracks in order.

Yes I am aware of the lack of on the fly playlists. I still may get it. I'll seek advice from Markey ref the features on it.

Funnily enough, I'm not fussed about the playlists. But if you're looking for the same features as the 808, why not get another one if they're still available? Or are you 'done' with SS/Atrac?

Edited by juli

Funnily enough, I'm not fussed about the playlists. But if you're looking for the same features as the 808, why not get another one if they're still available? Or are you 'done' with SS/Atrac?

I don't think they are available juli. Both Sony Centres in my neck of the woods only have the NWZ series. All of the online stores I checked are the same!!!!

I don't think they are available juli. Both Sony Centres in my neck of the woods only have the NWZ series. All of the online stores I checked are the same!!!!

Actually, you're right. They 'pretend' to be available and then you see they're out of stock.

I found a refurbished Grade A for £79.95 complete with a 12-month warranty. But that's all I could find.

I could have sworn I saw some the other day retailing for £129 (rip off) but I can't find them now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B...347&sr=1-31

Comments: Grade A units. Direct from Sony. Complete with 12 month Warranty.

Actually, you're right. They 'pretend' to be available and then you see they're out of stock.

I found a refurbished Grade A for £79.95 complete with a 12-month warranty. But that's all I could find.

I could have sworn I saw some the other day retailing for £129 (rip off) but I can't find them now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B...347&sr=1-31

Comments: Grade A units. Direct from Sony. Complete with 12 month Warranty.

Juli & aob9:Thanks for the advice. I think I may have to go the A818 route. What are you both going to do? also here's the first review ref the A829:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZA829K-16GB...347&sr=1-31