Battery and Warranty....please help.

Rate this topic

Hi to all you 'wise' ATRACLIFE members,

I have a new and urgent problem. My beloved A805 is 16 days from the end of the 12month warranty period and the battery has suddenly gone from 20+ hours to less than 3hrs. It also discharges when not in use. In short, it's knackered. I have my receipt BUT................I bought it online from advancedmp3players.com. They tell me that because it is a battery issue I have to contact Sony directly. This wouldn't be so complicated if I didn't live in Ireland (Rep.). Does anyone have any experience of dealing with Sony from across national boundaries?

I will contact SONY Ireland tomorrow but I can just hear the person on the other side of the phone saying " Well, if you bought it from a UK website you will have to contact Sony UK or deal direct with the website. :sad: ". AND, when I contact the UK, I can hear " Well, if you live in Ireland, Sony Ireland should help you................I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Any Advice???????

For those that are interested. After only four phonecalls I managed to get direction with this issue. I have to take the unit,receipt of purchase and €45 to a repair centre in the South of Ireland. They will send the unit to Hungary where another service centre will check it out. If they find the issue is my own fault they will keep the €45 and wave me goodbye. If there is a genuine fault with the unit they will repair it and send it back to me.....and I get my €45 back. I also checked out a replacement unit ( NWZ as opposed to NWA). That would cost me €99 in my local Sony Centre.

Hum!!!!

aob9, have you spoken to Sony yet. That battery shouldn't have given up the ghost just yet.

Yes, I spoke to them this morning, they want €45 to look at the walkman. If they decide it isn't a warranty issue or that it was mistreated I will lose my money. I didn't mistreat the unit, it is in spotless condition, the battery just gave up suddenly. I am concerned about potentially losing my money though!

Yes, I spoke to them this morning, they want €45 to look at the walkman. If they decide it isn't a warranty issue or that it was mistreated I will lose my money. I didn't mistreat the unit, it is in spotless condition, the battery just gave up suddenly. I am concerned about potentially losing my money though!

45 Euros just to look at it, that's criminal!!! I guess you have to decide wether to gamble 45 euros and hope to get it repaired or if they say it's your fault, wether to spend more money on top of the 45 euros to fix it. By the time you have done all that it would have probably been cheaper to buy a new unit. Why don't you take it in to your local Sony dealership and see what they say?

It's obviously a battery issue and nothing to do with mistreatment.

They'll be able to tell that. How can someone mistreat a battery? By using it??

Pay the thieves the money. You'll get it back anyway, it's pretty clear cut. You've got a duff battery.

Thank God it screwed up within warranty!

It's obviously a battery issue and nothing to do with mistreatment.

They'll be able to tell that. How can someone mistreat a battery? By using it??

Pay the thieves the money. You'll get it back anyway, it's pretty clear cut. You've got a duff battery.

Thank God it screwed up within warranty!

Yep, I agree with juli. Send the unit to them ASAP, like tomorrow morning and have them fix it. I'm certain you will get your 45 euros back.

Yep, I agree with juli. Send the unit to them ASAP, like tomorrow morning and have them fix it. I'm certain you will get your 45 euros back.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll probably give it to them and hold my breath. They have a nerve looking for money though, obviously this doesn't affect our statutory rights or they wouldn't get away with it. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll probably give it to them and hold my breath. They have a nerve looking for money though, obviously this doesn't affect our statutory rights or they wouldn't get away with it. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

Yes, keep us posted. I think it's criminal that they're asking for money. If you'd said the screen had spontaneously combusted while you slept, I could understand them asking for something (as the likelihood of that happening is nil!!), but they're aware it's a battery issue. Exactly how can a battery be 'not looked after'? Maybe all our 805/6/8 batteries are designed to give up after 12 months and 1 day, and yours 'mistakenly' crapped out within warranty!!

Guest buggy

Never pay anything anymore to SONY.

THE RULES WITH ANY SONY DEVICE ARE:

1)BUY THE UNIT AT ANY PRICE, BARGAIN OR HIGH!

2)USE IT UNTIL YOU FACE A PROBLEM

3)IF ITS UNDER WARRANTY CLAIM THE REPAIRMENT

4) IF IT DOESNT WORK, THROW IT AWAY!! (EVEN BUYING A SPARE BATTERY IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN UNIT, EVEN USB CAP OF ANY FLASH PLAYER)

For those who have been replying to this thread;.............I finally dropped the unit off at the Sony Service Centre. The helpful lady on duty informed me that so long as the unit shows no signs of water damage Sony have always covered battery problems. I should have my Walkman back in 5-10 working days.

Guest Stuge

For those who have been replying to this thread;.............I finally dropped the unit off at the Sony Service Centre. The helpful lady on duty informed me that so long as the unit shows no signs of water damage Sony have always covered battery problems. I should have my Walkman back in 5-10 working days.

Good to hear/read that :)

That's good to know.

Will you still be keeping the A818?

And your 45 euros I hope!! Don't you love the implied threat about water damage??? Anyway, at least you'll get it back. I wonder how they can repair an unreplaceable battery?

Yes indeed, I was wondering about that too. Obviously, it can be replaced on the technicians bench.

Can be replaced but not for sale to the general public. They have every angle covered so as to keep extracting our hard earned cash.

Edited by markey

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the delayed update. Well I got my Walkman back. As I previously stated the unit had to go to Hungary for repair. It's funny then that I received a phonecall two days after dropping it off at my local Service centre to tell me that the unit was repaired and ready for collection...........Very quick service,don't you think.

This is the best bit. In the package there was an envelope labelled 'Very Important Information'. On opening the envelope I read that the problem with my player was due to using the incorreect software to transfer music. Users can only use Sonictage to transfer music and that the unit had been reset as part of the repair process. They also informed me that they upgraded the firmware to 1.03.

WHAT has this to do with a battery problem. I always use SS and nothing else simply because it cannot be done. However, the funny thing is that the battery IS fixed.

VERY,VERY strange indeed. :blink:

Hey, that's great news! So did they refund you the extortionate fee for looking at it yet???

As for the 'very important information'. . . what the hell did they think you were using for transfer?? Magic?

And does this mean there's a secret method none of us know about?

Anyway, really pleased you got it fixed. That's the main thing :)

I wonder if they will use the fact that you apparently used the wrong software as an excuse as to not refund you your 45 euros.

Apologies, I forgot add that I got the €45 back. What I don't understand is why they suggested the battery running down in an hour was caused by using the wrong software, they haven't said they replaced the battery yet it does seem to be fixed. I'm confused to be honest.

Apologies, I forgot add that I got the €45 back. What I don't understand is why they suggested the battery running down in an hour was caused by using the wrong software, they haven't said they replaced the battery yet it does seem to be fixed. I'm confused to be honest.

Sony & Confusion go hand in hand :lol: