NW-A3000 got soaked, is dead

Rate this question

doshemekluta

Question

Slight back-story - years ago I bought an NW-HD3 and was perfectly happy with it, until one day it got nicked. When I went to get a replacement, I found that newer models were cheaper. Plus if I got another HD3 I'd maybe have to wait a month to send it to Sony for the wiring fix. So I got an A3000 instead.

So a couple of weeks ago I got caught in a bad spring shower walking home, and the A3000 got soaked. It wouldn't turn on, so I gave it a couple of days to dry out. No joy, won't turn on, won't charge (i.e. the light on the charger connector remains unlit) and nothing happens when its connected to the PC

What are my options before throwing it in the bin? Replacement batteries seem easy to find and install, but might not fix player.

I'm thinking of getting a different player Sony Walkman player off eBay, but I dunno which one. I'd want something cheap, because I'll probably lose/break it after a couple years, and I never used close to the 20GB anyway

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Slight back-story - years ago I bought an NW-HD3 and was perfectly happy with it, until one day it got nicked. When I went to get a replacement, I found that newer models were cheaper. Plus if I got another HD3 I'd maybe have to wait a month to send it to Sony for the wiring fix. So I got an A3000 instead.

So a couple of weeks ago I got caught in a bad spring shower walking home, and the A3000 got soaked. It wouldn't turn on, so I gave it a couple of days to dry out. No joy, won't turn on, won't charge (i.e. the light on the charger connector remains unlit) and nothing happens when its connected to the PC

What are my options before throwing it in the bin? Replacement batteries seem easy to find and install, but might not fix player.

I'm thinking of getting a different player Sony Walkman player off eBay, but I dunno which one. I'd want something cheap, because I'll probably lose/break it after a couple years, and I never used close to the 20GB anyway

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Get yourself a NWZ-A81x series. Comes in 2, 4 and 8 gig sizes. The 8 gig costing no more than £130 GBP. These DON'T use Sonic Stage or ATRAC by the way.

Edited by markey

Hi and welcome.

Get yourself a NWZ-A81x series. Comes in 2, 4 and 8 gig sizes. The 8 gig costing no more than £130 GBP. These DON'T use Sonic Stage or ATRAC by the way.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check them out!

If they're not ATRAC devices, then they'll need more storage space per tune, right? (ATRAC files are much smaller than MP3)

Sorry to hear that .

IMO your player is dead and its better to get a new one .

Thanks

I was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't unscrew the case and have a look inside, then just throw it in the bin?

I was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't unscrew the case and have a look inside, then just throw it in the bin?

Please do if you can, take as many photos of the opening of the device as you can, perhaps we could feature it on the blog, the first A3000 tear down, not seen one anywhere myself.

The more photos the better, just make sure they are in focus :)

This morning, just for the hell of it, I tried pressing Play again. Amazingly, the screen lit-up, the starting animation played, and it started playing the track I'd last listened to!

Within 5 seconds I got the battery low warning and it turned off, so I've left it on the charger

I'm surprised it started working after a week of being dead... I thought any rogue moisture would have evaporated after 2-3 days max

Fingers crossed it still charges fully and hasn't developed any intermittent faults

I am definitely going to buy a protective case now, as I now know that I don't want to lose/break the thing

This morning, just for the hell of it, I tried pressing Play again. Amazingly, the screen lit-up, the starting animation played, and it started playing the track I'd last listened to!

Within 5 seconds I got the battery low warning and it turned off, so I've left it on the charger

I'm surprised it started working after a week of being dead... I thought any rogue moisture would have evaporated after 2-3 days max

Fingers crossed it still charges fully and hasn't developed any intermittent faults

I am definitely going to buy a protective case now, as I now know that I don't want to lose/break the thing

I wouldn't rush out and invest anymore money in this player. It's good news that it's working again but the very fine components have been exposed to water. It's only a matter of time before the player becomes unreliable.