SonicStage Won't Start PLEASE HELP ME!

Rate this topic

Magram

Every time I open SonicStage I get a Windows error message saying "SonicStage application has stopped working". It looks for a problem then shuts down. I run off of Vista. I have deleted and reinstalled it numerous times: different versions, different sites. I delete the OPENMG modules each time, have tried it without deleting them as well. I have done this at least 20 times now. I have a 32 bit operating system, 142 GB. No idea what else to do, have called Sony and they just keep suggesting the same things. My MP3 is a NWA-1000 and I'm in Canada so have a certain version I have to download.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue on my Vista PC - SonicStage starts then immediately shuts down, Windows is reporting an error. So far I've tried installing the software on a fresh administrator account, installing and running with DEP completely disabled, running in XP SP2 compatibility mode, all to no avail. I'm waiting for Sony's next idea... I'll post if something worthwhile happens

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have had this problem since trying to reinstall SonicStage 4.3 after reformatting the boot drive on my XP Media Center computer. SonicStage previously worked fine, but I've been unable to get it to run except on one occasion despite formatting the drive AGAIN and installing and uninstalling SonicStage endlessly. Thus far, SonyConnect support has not been able to point me to anything helpful.

One difference between the initial installation years ago and the reinstallations now is that, in the case of the old installation, I installed before Service Pack 3 became available. Now, when I reformat the drive and reinstall XP, among the first things I do is update XP using Microsoft Update. These days, that means that SP 3 is installed before my other apps.

Does anyone have a sense whether SP 3 has done something that interferes with SonicStage? When I try to run it now, the start-up screen simply says "Initializing" and then it hangs until I reboot the machine, no matter how much later that is. It does not load, its name does not show up on the taskbar, and it does not show as a running application in Task Manager (cntrl+alt+delete).

In the meantime, I can't get access to my purchased music from SonyConnect. If I can't get SonicStage to run, anyone have an idea how to defeat the DRM so that I can save the music to a more universal format? Thanks for any help you can offer.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have an ATRAC NW A3000, and no matter what I do, Sonicstage will not open, It worked before, then in the middle of a transfer I get the "sonicstage application has stopped working notice, then it closes out too.

I have windows vista, I have tried other computer programs, but nothing works, and when I tried calling the sony company, they hung up on me before I finished explaining what was wrong........

If anyone knows how to fix this please tell me.

My uncle is also looking into it, hes pretty good with the sony products so Ill post if we find a solution.

Supposedly the Linux crew are working on a project to allow open source of Atrac on the PC. Though they are proceeding at a snail's pace given their limited resources and the extremely difficult reverse engineering obstacles, it is possible that a solution may be on the horizon.

I'd personally give up using Sonicstage and Atrac on the PC until these Linux guys finally solve the issue. It's simply not worth the hassle.

There's nothing more frustrating when a product doesn't work after you have invested in it.

• 6 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem with my NWA-3000. Sigh...I'm toying with the idea of trying to reformat the machine & use it as a giant memory stick, especially since it also has compatability issues with other brands of equipment. Spent a couple of hours with the support team this morning but to no avail, I've tried reinstalling several times now.