Good Starting Point?

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I've been thinking about getting a MD player, but I can't deciede which

to get... I'm really looking for overall quality and usefully-ness, but I

don't want to spend too much. I've thought about many different models...

my top ideas right now being Panasonic SJ-MR250, Sony MZ-R910, Sony

MZ-N505, and the Sharp MD-MT770. I really can't choose.....

I want a one with a long battery time and overall good contruction - I

want a player that will last a long time, and one that will be useful. Any tips?

Have a Happy Day!

~Jasmine

As far as current recorders go, just about any NetMD portable isn't that bad. If you ever want to record using a microphone, you'd want to steer clear of the Sony MZ-N505 and MZ-S1 because to my knowledge, they dont' have mic inputs. Personally I prefer sony stuff, so I don't know much about other brands. I have an MZ-N707 and it worked really well until my friend screwed up its programming...but that's not a normal thing. If you want cheap and durable and don't care about things like remotes or mic recording, then I imagine the MZ-S1 is probably your best bet. If size matters to you, ya might wanna forget about the "cheap" part of your preferences...most smaller recorders cost a lot more.

want a player that will last a long time, and one that will be useful. Any tips?

heyy there,

the models u mentioned r quite nice units; the Panasonic SJ-MR250 & Sony MZ-N505 being NetMD units and the Sony MZ-R910 & Sharp MD-MT770 being normal MDLP units...it realli depends on what u intend 2 mostly record from...like if u hav a lot of mp3's that u wan 2 tranfer it would b more convenient buying a NetMD...otherwise the other units are just as good recorders as these NetMD's...

if ur on a tight budget then u could go and get the Sony MZ-N505...otherwise if u wanted basically a small unit and don't care about NetMD then u can go 4 the Sharp or Sony...both are nice units but it depends on ur personal preference of brand i guess...if u r willing 2 front up the money 4 the Panasonic SJ-MR250 (which is currently their flaghsip model atm) then u would probably get evryfin u asked 4...the unit being small with long battery life and good quality construction and NetMD capable...

i suggest u take a look @ those units u want 2 buy in a shop if possible and check the units out urself...it makes it easier 4 me 2 decide 1nc i'v c'n and felt the unit myself rather than look @ pictures of it...

hope this helps... 8)

my friend has a Panasonic SJ-MR250, the remote is really cool(can see through the LCD when in 'HOLD' mode), and it has a nifty pressure-sensitive pad, which allows you to scroll through very easily... the only downside is that if i record an MD for him in LP he cannot play it... mainly because the SJ-MR250 is not an MDLP it is only capable of normal play... so, if u dont mind not having LP then i would say that the MR250 is a good one.. it WAS the smallEST and lightEST player in 2000, so it is VERY small

No MDLP on the MR250??? All new units have been MDLP compatible since the end of 2001....

Do you mean MR200? THAT has the see through remote, and no MDLP and touchpad and was the smallest/lightest in Sep 2000... :wink:

If you wish to do live recording, any Sharp is the best. For NetMD, they are really all the same, except you will need to get hold of English SW on the 'net to use all the NetMD features of the MR250.

Durability wise, all should be tough enough, but a lot of N1s are going bust, and very little is heard about the MT880 and MR250 going that way - perhaps because the N1 is the most widespread, I don't know.

If you don't want to spend much, and want an honest MD recorder, then the Sony N707 is the one for you - affordable, but doesn't skimp on the features like the N505. Plus if you are in Europe/Asia/Oceana it comes with an LCD remote. :D (But not backlit)

Personally, I'd buy the MR250-MT880-N1, in that order, but it is because I'm a non-Sony nutcase.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Just bought a 505 at Circuit City to replace the S1 that got lost in a move, only US$129 and got a mail in rebate for $30. I was a happy camper at $129....even happier at $99, just not real thrilled with the gold color though. Now if only my R37 was MDLP I'd be an exstatic camper smile.gif

I agree with Mystyler, for a first time user, the most comprehensive package including features for the price including excellent battery life, the Sony N707 is hard to beat, especially if you buy in the US where the price is very low. I have seen N505's and N707's in Hong Kong for much more than they sell for in the US. I think all MD units are pretty small these days, unless you want to push it to the real smallness limit, but as mentioned before, the price goes up rapidly as the size goes down.