I want to record loud rock band rehearsals - any suggestions

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm planning on getting a minidics recorder to record rehearsal/songwritting sessions. I won't want to be fiddling with buttons a lot. I have a few qustions maybe you guy's could answer;

Can I record with a mono microphone?

How much time can I record for, without having to deal with the recorder?

Can I adjust the input level if the band is loud so I don't get distortion?

Is there a particular model MD recorder that would be best for my purposes?

Any ideas?

Thanks. :?:

1. yes, you can record with a mono mic

2. you can record for 80 minutes at full quality, 160 minutes at high quality, or 320 minutes at questionable quality. (Full quality=sounds like a cd high quality=sounds like 320 kbps mp3)

3. Yes, you can adjust the input level

4. Well, it depends. If all you want to do is record your band, you could basically buy any recorder that has a mic in jack. however, if you actually plan on using the recorder as a player as well, you're gonna want to get something that is NetMD compatible. Post a few more things that you'd like the player to do and I'm sure people will get back to you. Mystyler will likely post the best non-Sony things for you, while I'll take care of the Sony recommendations.

By the way, if you do record your band, feel free to hook me up with a few of the recordings!

o,

Just to expand on what Bazirker posted, in mono mode, you get double the disc time - like LP mode 2 (LP2) but only one channel. LP4 quadruples the recording time, but it is really best suited to voice recording. (Although, there are die-hard LP4 fans out there! :D)

I'll go ahead and recommend some Sharps - generally acknowledged as the best for live recording:

The MD-MT190: Cheap, yet a very decent unit with all the features you'd need (except if you wish NetMD).

MD-MT200: Same as the MT190, but with "Dolby Headphone", and will set you back about $40-$50 more than the MT190.

MD-MT770/888: The MT770 and MT888 are the same thing, except the MT770 is the Japanese version. Was Sharp's top unit, until the new MD-DR7 (the DR7 is due to be released in Japan on the 10/12/02). The MT770/888 has the best remote found on a recorder to date, and it the only unit to feature a record button on the remote. No NetMD.

IM-MT880/889: Again, two model numbers for the same unit. The MT880/899 is the same as the MT770/888 except with NetMD.

Sharp is generally considered the best brand for live performances, as it gives you sync recording on all inputs, including mic. It also allows you complete control over input levels: newer Sonys have now included this feature, but it is not as well implemented on Sony models: to adjust the input levels on Sonys, you must pause recording then alter levels IIRC, while Sharps let you adjust the levels "on-the-fly", without pausing recording.

Mystyler, you have to pause recording to mess with the mic levelson Sonys? Ummmm...that's not the case with the sonys I have...however, i would agree with you that sharps are possibly the best live recording MD units, although that once again depends on how you like your player laid out. i don't like having a million buttons, so I prefer sony stuff. O, I'd recommend looking through the equipment browser at Sharps and Sonys and seeing what you think fits your needs best.

Guest Anonymous

You guys have been very helpful. The internet is such a great source for gear info, it's amazing!

To answer darK (aka Tharaka)'s question; The band is just starting up but the music is smart dark, slightly gothy rock music. infl: Peter Murphy, Nick Cave, early Black Sabbath, Doors, Bowie.

If I ever figure out how to post some tunes I will gladly share some recordings with you.

A few more (possibly dumb) questions:

If I record mono will I only record on one side of the stereo? e.g. hard panned left or right.

Is there a web site that I could shop for stereo micophones that don't cost an arm and a leg? The only one I've found is in a music gear mag, for $250. My old band recorded with that mic, and it sounds great, but it's a little expensive for my purposes right now.

Thanks again, md guy's

o, if you record in mono, you'll get exactly that. :wink:

If you record from a mono source in stereo, you'll get a hard left. But recording in mono from a mono or stereo source will give one channel, equally spread L/R.

For microphones, try www.soundprofessionals.com

Mystyler, you have to pause recording to mess with the mic levelson Sonys?  Ummmm...that's not the case with the sonys I have...however, i would agree with you that sharps are possibly the best live recording MD units, although that once again depends on how you like your player laid out.  i don't like having a million buttons, so I prefer sony stuff.  O, I'd recommend looking through the equipment browser at Sharps and Sonys and seeing what you think fits your needs best.

Anything pre-R909 needs to be in rec pause to adjust the level. I think Sharps way is kinda stupid. Why would you want weirdo levels on the actual recording?! I mean, if you were recording a band, and say there was a sax solo or something, you wouldn't amplify the sax solo part.. I don't get it.. Then again, I agree with end search.

Let's say you set your levels while tuning up. Then you start recording, but the act is a lot louder than you expected. With the Sharp you can back off the levels a few steps without interrupting the track. This sort of gain riding should be avoided if possible, but it beats risking hard clipping.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey there,

Thought I would add my two cents...just this evening I did another trial recording with my Sharp MT880, and have to say that it ONLY ruins your recording if you change the levels quickly over a short period of time in my opinion...and besides, and inconsistencies can conceivably be ironed out by normalizing/amplifying the whole thing in Cool Edit or Soundforge (which we all have, right? RIGHT? :wink: )

The only exception I have found to this is the documented audible gap you DO get if you bump the rec level above 20 to 21+, as this crosses the mic sensitivity threshold (or something) and switches modes in the machine. Other than that I love my Sharp unit...even if I AM fighting the irresistible urge to buy a Sony MZ10 to have the best of both worlds (even IF many people say they can't tell the difference in the supposedly "new" ATRAC DSPs!?!)

peace

Guest Anonymous

i posted a similar question to the guest. thanks to all for the input--it has helped me. i am leaning hard toward a Sharp because i mostly plan to record rehearsals so i won't mind slight boosts or drops in volume as long as it avoids digital distortion. at this point i am leaning toward an mt887, an mdmt200 or an mdmt180. my Sony mzr70 is terrible for the digital distortion problem. i want a separate unit for rehearsal recording and i'll keep the mzr70 for listening in the car or on the go. a few of the quiet sessions i have recorded with my sony t-mic have sounded amazing--good enough to release--but for loud songs i have clipping and fuzz that is maddening. thanks all. P.